Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

There is no way wee man told Thompson to leave a few weeks prior to signing day.

Bammer boards saying that Thompson and Steele sat down with Saban after the playoff game to let him know they were probably going to be leaving bama for other opportunities.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do

I will say this...Auburn has definitely put forth the effort to improve this defense and includes pulling out the stops. Applause.

Now let's get to spring ball right after recruiting season!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a good hire, Coach Boom knows him well and he's obviously on board with it. Only time will tell if it was a great hire. And we will probably never know why he left the tahd, but does it really matter??

He already left them once for an almost-lateral move- OLB coach for perennial title contender Bama to LB coach for up-and-coming...maybe UT- and he has a meaningful relationship with Muschamp.

Keep standing in the long shadow cast by a short a**hole? Or go work with one of the most exciting guys in the business- who you also happen to like- and be somebody? Also, who knows what his family situation is. Auburn is a demonstrably better place to raise a kid than Turdistan.

This is obviously a highly optimistic point of view, but I think it's at least equally as logical as "It just don't sit right."

There is no way wee man told Thompson to leave a few weeks prior to signing day.

Bammer boards saying that Thompson and Steele sat down with Saban after the playoff game to let him know they were probably going to be leaving bama for other opportunities.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But the bottom line is this: Saban's not in the habit of hiring coaches he doesn't think will help Alabama. He hired Thompson twice and Steele twice. And Thompson is a top 5 recruiter in the country. We've lost far more battles with him for recruits than we've won. So any bammer or Auburn fan that thinks it isn't a net positive for us and a net negative for them for him to come over is either in denial or is the world's biggest pessimist.

Still nothing on ESPN about this.... Not surprised....

I can't recall seeing the hiring of position coaches running on the ESPN ticker.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But the bottom line is this: Saban's not in the habit of hiring coaches he doesn't think will help Alabama. He hired Thompson twice and Steele twice. And Thompson is a top 5 recruiter in the country. We've lost far more battles with him for recruits than we've won. So any bammer or Auburn fan that thinks it isn't a net positive for us and a net negative for them for him to come over is either in denial or is the world's biggest pessimist.

Amen...

Wow - so Les Miles had Steele wrapped up weeks ago.........

Waiting for the inevitable Hitler video:

Hitler/Nick Saban (after being told Steele is leaving for LSU): "No problem, we still have Lance Thompson to coach linebackers."

Krebs/Kirby Smart: "My fuhrer ... Thompson"

Jodl/Bo Davis: "Thompson was hired by Auburn this morning."

Hitler/Nick Saban: "These will stay here: Smart, Davis, Kiffen and Burns."

Meltdown follows.

Wow - so Les Miles had Steele wrapped up weeks ago.........

I don't know about that, but he probably was a prospect on their radar. Or Steele expressed interest in the position, same as Thompson reaching out to Auburn as it was reported.

We don't really know much of the exact details of what went on behind the scenes of many hires.

That's just what the bammers are saying.

The bammers said that? I can't believe they would say something like that .. Sarcasm

The defense (secondary) was so bad, Saban cleaned house and made Steele (LB COACH) leave asap... Were he takes a huge promotion as DC at LSU... Lol

bammers... I love those misfits

I'm not shocked that the spuat boards are turning on Thompson and Steele. In their minds, who would really want to leave the great and mighty saban.

Can't cut and paste premium site info that's behind their paywall.

Suffice it to say, Saban initiated Steele and Thompson's departures is the bammer spin. How true it is or how much detail it leaves out is up for debate.

Waiting for the inevitable Hitler video:

Hitler/Nick Saban (after being told Steele is leaving for LSU): "No problem, we still have Lance Thompson to coach linebackers."

Krebs/Kirby Smart: "My fuhrer ... Thompson"

Jodl/Bo Davis: "Thompson was hired by Auburn this morning."

Hitler/Nick Saban: "These will stay here: Smart, Davis, Kiffen and Burns."

Meltdown follows.

Lol.

Is it possible---and I'm just throwing this out there---that Thompson and/or Steele were out off by Saban's signing the Taylor kid? I don't know if either has daughters or even wives, so this may or may not have been an issue. I can see Steele leaving since he basically got a promotion, but this is a lateral move for Thompson.

Welcome to Auburn Coach Thompson.

WDE

Will he be required to go through a decontamination process?

That's what the off season is for...

Can't cut and paste premium site info that's behind their paywall.

Suffice it to say, Saban initiated Steele and Thompson's departures is the bammer spin. How true it is or how much detail it leaves out is up for debate.

Noted.

Didn't realize it was from a paysite, just saw it copy/pasted on another non premium site.

Is it possible---and I'm just throwing this out there---that Thompson and/or Steele were out off by Saban's signing the Taylor kid? I don't know if either has daughters or even wives, so this may or may not have been an issue. I can see Steele leaving since he basically got a promotion, but this is a lateral move for Thompson.

It is possible but really with all the other crap that's gone on over there, I can't see either one of them really having an issue with it.

I'd say that wasn't a factor at all. JMO.

Archived