Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thompson is a much better hire than Barrow. Better recruiter and much better coach with far more experience, plus he's worked with Muschamp before. I don't get how anyone could be upset with this. As for questioning why he would make a lateral move, well no need because it's not a lateral move. Coaching LBs is a step up from coaching ILBs. Again, I don't get it.

I don`t know if Thompson or Barrow is a better on field coach than the other or for that matter, a better recruiter. They both are apparently well thought of. My question to some of the posters that are not liking this hire or at the least questioning it is this; Do you want Ellis Johnson back? Either is an upgrade IMHO. I like Ellis but he just for whatever reason was not getting the job done. I see better days ahead and that is good thing.

Thompson is a much better hire than Barrow. Better recruiter and much better coach with far more experience, plus he's worked with Muschamp before. I don't get how anyone could be upset with this. As for questioning why he would make a lateral move, well no need because it's not a lateral move. Coaching LBs is a step up from coaching ILBs. Again, I don't get it.

Then here you go...

As for questioning why he would make a lateral move, well no need because it's not a lateral move. Coaching LBs is a step up from coaching ILBs.

It is a lateral move. You're arguing semantics over schematic differences.

I think the story about Saban forcing some changes probably has some truth to it; some of you need to relax and understand that that doesn't mean that Thompson sucks. Saban already has Tosh Lupoi waiting in the wings as a potential replacement.

Maybe Barrow's still coming as Special Teams Coordinator. Something still has to give there.

Reassign Fountain to take Ingram's job.

Maybe Barrow's still coming as Special Teams Coordinator. Something still has to give there.

Reassign Fountain to take Ingram's job.

That would be his fast track to greener pastures. Gus is looking like a genius with those guys - Burns, Hall, Lindsey, Lolley, Mcgee, Murphy, Pogue and now Ingram.

Edit: Add Dearmon

Well, one thing is for sure. We now have the brightest offensive mind in the country leading the offense and the team. We have the brightest defensive mind in the country leading the defense. We have great staffs on both sides of the ball and all of them are great recruiters. So now the only thing left, in the words of Larry the Cable guy, is to Geter Done

Well, one thing is for sure. We now have the brightest offensive mind in the country leading the offense and the team. We have the brightest defensive mind in the country leading the defense. We have great staffs on both sides of the ball and all of them are great recruiters. So now the only thing left, in the words of Larry the Cable guy, is to Geter Done

:bow:

I think it's a good hire, Coach Boom knows him well and he's obviously on board with it. Only time will tell if it was a great hire. And we will probably never know why he left the tahd, but does it really matter??

He already left them once for an almost-lateral move- OLB coach for perennial title contender Bama to LB coach for up-and-coming...maybe UT- and he has a meaningful relationship with Muschamp.

Keep standing in the long shadow cast by a short a**hole? Or go work with one of the most exciting guys in the business- who you also happen to like- and be somebody? Also, who knows what his family situation is. Auburn is a demonstrably better place to raise a kid than Turdistan.

This is obviously a highly optimistic point of view, but I think it's at least equally as logical as "It just don't sit right."

I definitely don't understand the "it just don't sit right" mentality at all. But then again I really don't want to ask someone what they are taking about when they say this. The guy can coach and recruit or Muschamp wouldn't hire him. Does anyone REALLY think he could be a "double agent" or something? Gee, That even seemed weird me typing it.

“@DanWolken: Auburn has a ridiculous coaching staff. Maybe the best in the nation top to bottom.”

This....

Drink it in......(maniacal laugh)

It in no way, shape or form means automatic success, but it's a great start!

What I love the most is the turds reaction. No coach would ever willingly leave Spanky unless it was for a promotion. I wonder what it's like to live in such delusion?

Ask bird he knows all about delusion

Coaching LBs is a lateral move regardless

Not a lateral move if more $$ involved. Also, enjoying those you work with as apposed to working for the insane and rabid munchkin is priceless.....

Not a lateral move if more $$ involved. Also, enjoying those you work with as apposed to working for the insane and rabid munchkin is priceless.....

I felt that Thompson left because of Saban's insufferableness, before hearing that it might be mutual

Thompson has a really good resume and a lot of experience.....Not sure if his recruiting prowess will translate 100% to Auburn since technically Alabama has a bigger brand....

Time will tell...

Good hire regardless

“@ClowESPN: Auburn getting a proven recruiter/coach in Lance Thompson, whose decision to leave Alabama was a mutual deal between him and Nick Saban.”

Looks like the Gump's have convinced ESPN that this was a mutual decision as well. This stuff ceases to amaze me.

I felt that Thompson left because of Saban's insufferableness, before hearing that it might be mutual

The mutual is a cover for the turd. It may have been mutual but spankey is such an insufferable little thing. Lance Thompson probably said something to him after the little tirade I am sure he went on after the Sugar Bowl.

Archived