Update: Lance Thompson hired as new LB coach

slipadeedoodah

it should not surprise anybody that the bammers are saying that saban was ready for Thompson and Steele to go. It shouldn't surprise us because that is standard operating procedure for the bammers. I guarantee you that if saban announced tomorrow that he was leaving the bammers would say that he had lost his edge and motivation which is the reason he lost to Ole Miss and Ohio State. Saban is one of the best coaches in the game today (I just threw up a little in my mouth) and they would throw him under the bus and act like he wasn't wanted anymore if he was to leave. It's just what they do.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard from somewhere that both Steele and Thompson sat down with Saban after the sugar bowl to tell him that they might be leaving for another job. I doubt that Saban would have told Thompson and Steele to "look around" before the Sugar Bowl.

It is interesting. Makes you wonder a bit what's going on in Tuscaloosa. If I were Thompson, I might be hoping for a promotion (maybe to coaching all the LBs?). Maybe he's reaching out to Gus just to put some pressure on Saban. Or maybe he thinks coming to AU and coaching LBs under Boom would be a better gig?

I imagine after giving up 44 to Auburn and 42 to OSU, Saban wasn't in a very good mood and probably had a few things to say to his defensive coaches.

bammer's big issues were in the secondary, not with their linebackers. Steele and Thompson coached linebackers. These would be the wrong coaches for $aban to be saying much of anything to about those defensive performances, yeah?

Thompson has a really good resume and a lot of experience.....Not sure if his recruiting prowess will translate 100% to Auburn since technically Alabama has a bigger brand....

Time will tell...

Good hire regardless

Brand? Well, if you consider inbred redneck a brand...

I heard from somewhere that both Steele and Thompson sat down with Saban after the sugar bowl to tell him that they might be leaving for another job. I doubt that Saban would have told Thompson and Steele to "look around" before the Sugar Bowl.

I said that earlier here, but corrected myself because I misread the original info...

It is interesting. Makes you wonder a bit what's going on in Tuscaloosa. If I were Thompson, I might be hoping for a promotion (maybe to coaching all the LBs?). Maybe he's reaching out to Gus just to put some pressure on Saban. Or maybe he thinks coming to AU and coaching LBs under Boom would be a better gig?

I imagine after giving up 44 to Auburn and 42 to OSU, Saban wasn't in a very good mood and probably had a few things to say to his defensive coaches.

bammer's big issues were in the secondary, not with their linebackers. Steele and Thompson coached linebackers. These would be the wrong coaches for $aban to be saying much of anything to about those defensive performances, yeah?

yeah but why would he stop with the secondary. Once he goes off everyone catches hell.

Little Nicky just can't seem to keep coaches for very long. It's been that way since he's been at spuat.

Do you know how many coaches have left Auburn the last two years?

I don't care what they say, this is a win for Auburn. Spin it all they want... decent coach, whatever... the fact is that he has HS contacts all over the southeast and in the state of Alabama, he is a recruiting machine, and he fills a need - linebacker coach.

Even if they asked him to look around after the season, they were not expecting this... This is a win for AU.

I seriously doubt Saban would've asked one of his best recruiters to leave a few weeks before signing day. Doesn't make sense at all. More like CLT saw an opportunity to work with Muschamp again and approached Gus about it. It's no secret that Nick is not the easiest boss to work for.

Little Nicky just can't seem to keep coaches for very long. It's been that way since he's been at spuat.

Way less than people have wanted...including myself after that iron bowl

You mean on the field coaches? That left by their own choice? Hmmmmm....how many do you think that is?

You mean on the field coaches? That left by their own choice? Hmmmmm....how many do you think that is?

Not as many as he thinks.

No, just the staff in general. Point being, coaches move on, get promotions etc. Change can be a positive thing.

Point being, coaches move on, get promotions etc.

I'm pretty sure the point is that Saban is an insufferable a$$h0le.

In May, one of Saban's own former assistants, Tim Davis, now an offensive-line coach at Florida, called Saban "the devil himself" at a booster meeting. In an indication of the sort of loathing Saban inspires, one Orlndo Sentinel writer penned a column taking Davis to task not for calling Saban the devil but for later apologizing for it.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201309/coach-nick-saban-alabama-maniac

In May, one of Saban's own former assistants, Tim Davis, now an offensive-line coach at Florida, called Saban "the devil himself" at a booster meeting. In an indication of the sort of loathing Saban inspires, one Orlndo Sentinel writer penned a column taking Davis to task not for calling Saban the devil but for later apologizing for it.

http://www.gq.com/en...-alabama-maniac

I can't imagine working for the short little prick

Hey, when your short, you have to yell. I wouldnt have to be half as mean and confrontational if I was 6" taller. Just saying.

Just read the article on cbssports.com and at the end it said >:D had told Thompson to look around. With NSD some three or four weeks away you're going to tell two of your LB coaches to look around. Maybe so, who knows?

I think this is already a done deal and Thompson will hit the recruiting trail this weekend. I see us taking a quantum leap into the top 5 classes of recruits for 2015.

Hey, when your short, you have to yell. I wouldnt have to be half as mean and confrontational if I was 6" taller. Just saying.

Saban requires all of his coaches to punch in on a time clock everyday. He has been doing this since he was the HC at Michigan State. I think you will see CLT coaching and recruiting better than anytime in long while. Getting away from Saban tends to do this for coaches.

Homerun hire in my opinion. Barrow was a good coach and recruiter, but LT is a very good coach and a great recruiter. Knows SEC recruiting better than anyone. But the thing I like best is Thompson has coached DL as much if not more than LBs. He can definitely help RG with fundamentals and technique. Garner won't be left on an island. WM can help LT and T-Rob. Staff has a lot more flexibility and overlapping of duties. Having worked together before Boom and Lance know exactly what they are getting with each other so it could be and was a quick decision. We really needed this hire in place before the weekend. Timing couldn't be better. Love the hire. WDE.

Archived