2016 3* DT Quinnen Williams (Bama commit)

TIGGR82

Who did Rocker get signed while at AU?

<crickets>

Who is comparing Rocker versus Garner based on past recruiting? Garner, historically has been a much better recruiter than Rocker. Rocker has been a much better DL coach than Garner. Right now, quality DT recruits are beating down the door to go to uga. Is that because of Rocker or because of Pruitt or a combination. I think it is a combination.

wde

Good point. I was posting in the recruiting forum so that is why I remind us that Rocker didn't recruit.

WDE

Or maybe Rocker as a recruiter has been hampered by the DC he worked under? The old "which came first, the chicken or the egg" thing.

Possibly. Just never heard of his relentlessness in the area that he was responsible for at his old school.

True. I am also wanting for RG to demonstrate the relentlessness in that area at his old school that gained him his rep as well.

Like they say, "it is the Jimmy and Joe's more than x's and o's". Rocker did not leave much to work with for sure.

Not true. Rocker was only here for 2009 and 2010. We had the joke that was Mike Pelton as DL coach for 2 crappy years before Garner got here.

wde

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Garner was at Georgia the boards were full of posts about how he was killing us as a recruiter. Now that he's at Auburn he's awful. :dunno:/>

Looking at his results since he's been here I think he's an excellent recruiter and was kept to coach the DL because Gus thinks he's a good coach.

LOL, you really believe this? Garner did kill us as a recruiter at UT and uga. He never was considered an above average DL coach at either UT or uga. Garner was a Jay Jacobs hire (which I was in favor of at the time because I thought his recruiting would compensate for his coaching weakness.) Right now, his recruiting at the position he coaches is worse than his on the field coaching.

wde

You really believe Jay Jacobs makes assistant coach hiring decisions for his head coaches? That's what's funny. Jay Jacobs wouldn't even address Tony Barbee's bloated recruiting budget because he didn't want to give him an excuse for failing. Jay Jacobs is an administrator, and Gus has a very strong personality and isn't about to abdicate hiring and retention decisions. If Gus didn't think Garner could get the job done Garner would be gone.

Jay Jacobs absolutely was instrumental in the hiring of RG. FWIW, I was happy at the time because of RG's recruiting prowess at

AU (under Bowden), UT and uga. Do you not think it odd that only RG survived the D coaching staff purge?

wde

Can you back up your Jay Jacobs insinuation with any facts?

In the end, we will sign some excellent talent on the DL. I think come signing day for 2016, we will look back at this and see it as a minor bump in the road on the way to signing a top 10 class with talent on the DL and other position needs.

We are not bammer and this is the best thing in the world. We are Auburn and do not need anyone who does not want to be here. We will likely replace this young man with a solid 4 or 5 star young man hungry to take on any team on the schedule and SEC.

When Garner was at Georgia the boards were full of posts about how he was killing us as a recruiter. Now that he's at Auburn he's awful. :dunno:/>

Looking at his results since he's been here I think he's an excellent recruiter and was kept to coach the DL because Gus thinks he's a good coach.

LOL, you really believe this? Garner did kill us as a recruiter at UT and uga. He never was considered an above average DL coach at either UT or uga. Garner was a Jay Jacobs hire (which I was in favor of at the time because I thought his recruiting would compensate for his coaching weakness.) Right now, his recruiting at the position he coaches is worse than his on the field coaching.

wde

You really believe Jay Jacobs makes assistant coach hiring decisions for his head coaches? That's what's funny. Jay Jacobs wouldn't even address Tony Barbee's bloated recruiting budget because he didn't want to give him an excuse for failing. Jay Jacobs is an administrator, and Gus has a very strong personality and isn't about to abdicate hiring and retention decisions. If Gus didn't think Garner could get the job done Garner would be gone.

Jay Jacobs absolutely was instrumental in the hiring of RG. FWIW, I was happy at the time because of RG's recruiting prowess at

AU (under Bowden), UT and uga. Do you not think it odd that only RG survived the D coaching staff purge?

wde

Other than Jay Jacobs crowing about his personal relationship with RG (and RG mentioning this as well) when RG was hired, no. Do you have facts that RG's hire was not influenced by Jay Jacobs?

Let them decommit - I would hope they would reference the careers of Dee Liner, Brent Calloway, and to degree Reuben Foster. If the Bama machine reached them then so be it I just hope they know what they are getting themselves into....recruiting is about perception too...whatever Bama can do to undermine players from going to Au they will do it. I find it ironic that both changed their minds after camping at Bama. I would prefer they get off board now instead of pulling a Yeldon....I know this staff will get it done....and get it done the right way.

wde

wde

Other than Jay Jacobs crowing about his personal relationship with RG (and RG mentioning this as well) when RG was hired, no. Do you have facts that RG's hire was not influenced by Jay Jacobs?

wde

wde

Now that's a great argument....prove a negative....sure are desperate to sling a bit of mud it seems.

Meanwhile...let's check to see who is responsible for recruiting.....Gus.....and everyone (or most everyone) is willing to give him a pass and instead blame it on some guy on his staff. Pitiful......

Only what Gus said when he was hired. I don't recall anything being said that jay Jacobs played any role in him being hired. I mean why would Jay stop with Garner, I mean he could just line up Gus's entire staff with "his" guys....Gus does not seem to be the type that would allow anyone to influence his hiring decisions...he has absolute control of this program without Jacobs influences.

Only what Gus said when he was hired. I don't recall anything being said that jay Jacobs played any role in him being hired. I mean why would Jay stop with Garner, I mean he could just line up Gus's entire staff with "his" guys....Gus does not seem to be the type that would allow anyone to influence his hiring decisions...he has absolute control of this program without Jacobs influences.

Fair enough. Why is RG the only D staff member on the staff that did not get let go after last year? It dang sure was not based on DL on the field production. I will give you the "Lawson was hurt" as 1 excuse. Again, should our DL greatly improve this year on the field, then I will be glad to post on this and other boards that RG earned his paycheck.

wde

Fair enough. Why is RG the only D staff member on the staff that did not get let go after last year? It dang sure was not based on DL on the field production. I will give you the "Lawson was hurt" as 1 excuse. Again, should our DL greatly improve this year on the field, then I will be glad to post on this and other boards that RG earned his paycheck.

wde

Maybe because he's seen as a good coach and recruiter is why he was kept?

Just a thought.

One could argue the production he got out of the dline his first season on the job. The same dline that went winless in the SEC the year before and had done nothing in two seasons. Or maybe it's his 10 plus years of SEC coaching experience and countless NFL draft picks. I am sure Muschamp would not take a job under the preface u have to keep him because I said so. You are setting yourself up ..Muschamps more aggressive scheme and the presence of a healthy Lawson, plus more experienced players will warrant better dline play than last season. No DT's playing defensive end, and two legit pass rushing ends will be a welcome asset. So get ready to acknowledge it..

One could argue the production he got out of the dline his first season on the job. The same dline that went winless in the SEC the year before and had done nothing in two seasons. Or maybe it's his 10 plus years of SEC coaching experience and countless NFL draft picks. I am sure Muschamp would not take a job under the preface u have to keep him because I said so. You are setting yourself up ..Muschamps more aggressive scheme and the presence of a healthy Lawson, plus more experienced players will warrant better dline play than last season. No DT's playing defensive end, and two legit pass rushing ends will be a welcome asset. So get ready to acknowledge it..

Hey, if our DL play improves I have no problem giving RG credit.

Are you satisfied with the DL play and DT recruiting under RG thus far?

wde

wde

Maybe because he's seen as a good coach and recruiter is why he was kept?

Just a thought.

Recruiter in the past, no doubt. He has never been regarded as a good coach.

wde

Let them decommit - I would hope they would reference the careers of Dee Liner, Brent Calloway, and to degree Reuben Foster. If the Bama machine reached them then so be it I just hope they know what they are getting themselves into....recruiting is about perception too...whatever Bama can do to undermine players from going to Au they will do it. I find it ironic that both changed their minds after camping at Bama. I would prefer they get off board now instead of pulling a Yeldon....I know this staff will get it done....and get it done the right way.

Indeed. And if I was a recruiter for AU out recruiting a kid in this state, one of my questions for him would be what is his favorite school, if he says bama, I'll shake his hand and tell him good luck. Because 9 times out of ten, they won't offer until we have offered and the kid commits to us. That's when the turds come knocking. It's not worth my time, i'd rather get talent from Georgia and Florida before I'd recruit this state full of gullible bama fans.

Indeed. And if I was a recruiter for AU out recruiting a kid in this state, one of my questions for him would be what is his favorite school, if he says bama, I'll shake his hand and tell him good luck. Because 9 times out of ten, they won't offer until we have offered and the kid commits to us. That's when the turds come knocking. It's not worth my time, i'd rather get talent from Georgia and Florida before I'd recruit this state full of gullible bama fans.

Glad you have the job you have-- whatever that is. :)

wde

wde

He's a danged lawyer! I said it....prove it's wrong! Or a politician. But that's redundant....

Glad you have the job you have-- whatever that is. :)/>

I am as well. I'm kind of like rocker in that he doesn't like to recruit. As for me I just wouldn't recruit this state. Way too many bama fanatics for me to deal with. WDE

The recruiting of Auburn University would be an absolute joke if it were up to this board.

"Fire Garner!" "Don't recruit the state of AL!" "I won't gravel to a 17-18 year old!"

Let's get a grip on reality guys. This is the nature of the business, if you don't like it don't worry about Auburn recruiting until the first Wednesday in February. WDE

Glad you have the job you have-- whatever that is. :)/>

I am as well. I'm kind of like rocker in that he doesn't like to recruit. As for me I just wouldn't recruit this state. Way too many bama fanatics for me to deal with. WDE

I can understand that ....we have wasted a great deal of time, money and reputation chasing after kids where we probably had about 10% chance of getting a "signed letter" from them..... if someone had obtained an honest outside assessment. I guess Auburn's "super recruiters" figure they can sell anything to anyone given enough time....but we've had more than our share of disappointments the past several years and I suspect, we have gotten diverted from some other candidates where we had a better chance of getting them to Auburn. JMO

The recruiting of Auburn University would be an absolute joke if it were up to this board.

"Fire Garner!" "Don't recruit the state of AL!" "I won't gravel to a 17-18 year old!"

Let's get a grip on reality guys. This is the nature of the business, if you don't like it don't worry about Auburn recruiting until the first Wednesday in February. WDE

some might say that it is a joke already....getting commitments from bama fans and then reading that the guy is changing his mind...after a few months...gives the appearance that we will toss an offer to about anyone that looks pretty good and accept their non-commitments too....trying to build numbers ?

But as noted, Feb is what counts....

Archived