2016 3* DT Quinnen Williams (Bama commit)

TIGGR82

Only what Gus said when he was hired. I don't recall anything being said that jay Jacobs played any role in him being hired. I mean why would Jay stop with Garner, I mean he could just line up Gus's entire staff with "his" guys....Gus does not seem to be the type that would allow anyone to influence his hiring decisions...he has absolute control of this program without Jacobs influences.

Fair enough. Why is RG the only D staff member on the staff that did not get let go after last year? It dang sure was not based on DL on the field production. I will give you the "Lawson was hurt" as 1 excuse. Again, should our DL greatly improve this year on the field, then I will be glad to post on this and other boards that RG earned his paycheck.

wde

Maybe because he's seen as a good coach and recruiter is why he was kept?

Just a thought.

Recruiter in the past, no doubt. He has never been regarded as a good coach.

wde

Seriously why the hate on Garner? It isn't enough that you spew it on this board but have to go to another board and start a whole new thread when there was already one about the decomit? Did he steal your lunch money, girl, car? Or is it that you don't know much about recruiting and are seriously disappointed that a 3* decommitted and another decommitted when he was offered a grey shirt at his dream school? Really, we have a long way to go before February. Have you done a little research on who CRG is the lead recruiter on? Maybe some of these kids were caught up in the excitement and committed and then re-evaluated it post getting away from campus...We all know that you don't like CRG but how about for the sake of argument that you present some better options for a DL coach or see who else we are in on for DT and DE this year in recruiting...or is it that you have your favorite kids and these two were part of those? Whatever the reason please explain a little and bring more to the discussion instead of being a repeat "Chicken Little" on CRG...

LOL, what is your user name on ITAT and why don't you use the same one on this board? I totally agree that there is a long way until Feb 2016 and should we sign a very good DT class and should our DL play on the field during this upcoming season improve greatly, I will be happy to post complimentary things about RG and say I was wrong.

There are many above average DL coaches that would have come to AU, but to be specific, I think Muschamp's DL coach at UF would have been a better option as would T Rocker. T Rocker has always been a much better on the field coach than RG, but until the past couple of years, RG has always been the much better recruiter. I think hiring Rocker would have been a long shot though.

I do not hate RG. I just think he has always been an average at best on the field DL who made his reputation by being a very good to elite recruiter. I was happy when he was hired because of the recruiting aspect. However; his recruiting has not been up to par last year and until today, this year. I think RG is mailing it in. Again, no hate, I want our football program to be the best it can be.

What is your user name on ITAT again? Thanks

wde

While at GA, Garner coached 27 players who were drafted in the NFL. They all didn't get drafted on talent alone. He coached them. If that's an average coach I wish we had 10 more just like him.

David Pollack has said (before RG was hired at AU) that RG was a terrible DL coach. Sometimes talent and effort alone does get you drafted.

wde

Link?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only what Gus said when he was hired. I don't recall anything being said that jay Jacobs played any role in him being hired. I mean why would Jay stop with Garner, I mean he could just line up Gus's entire staff with "his" guys....Gus does not seem to be the type that would allow anyone to influence his hiring decisions...he has absolute control of this program without Jacobs influences.

Fair enough. Why is RG the only D staff member on the staff that did not get let go after last year? It dang sure was not based on DL on the field production. I will give you the "Lawson was hurt" as 1 excuse. Again, should our DL greatly improve this year on the field, then I will be glad to post on this and other boards that RG earned his paycheck.

wde

Just a thought.

wde

Seriously why the hate on Garner? It isn't enough that you spew it on this board but have to go to another board and start a whole new thread when there was already one about the decomit? Did he steal your lunch money, girl, car? Or is it that you don't know much about recruiting and are seriously disappointed that a 3* decommitted and another decommitted when he was offered a grey shirt at his dream school? Really, we have a long way to go before February. Have you done a little research on who CRG is the lead recruiter on? Maybe some of these kids were caught up in the excitement and committed and then re-evaluated it post getting away from campus...We all know that you don't like CRG but how about for the sake of argument that you present some better options for a DL coach or see who else we are in on for DT and DE this year in recruiting...or is it that you have your favorite kids and these two were part of those? Whatever the reason please explain a little and bring more to the discussion instead of being a repeat "Chicken Little" on CRG...

LOL, what is your user name on ITAT and why don't you use the same one on this board? I totally agree that there is a long way until Feb 2016 and should we sign a very good DT class and should our DL play on the field during this upcoming season improve greatly, I will be happy to post complimentary things about RG and say I was wrong.

There are many above average DL coaches that would have come to AU, but to be specific, I think Muschamp's DL coach at UF would have been a better option as would T Rocker. T Rocker has always been a much better on the field coach than RG, but until the past couple of years, RG has always been the much better recruiter. I think hiring Rocker would have been a long shot though.

I do not hate RG. I just think he has always been an average at best on the field DL who made his reputation by being a very good to elite recruiter. I was happy when he was hired because of the recruiting aspect. However; his recruiting has not been up to par last year and until today, this year. I think RG is mailing it in. Again, no hate, I want our football program to be the best it can be.

wde

While at GA, Garner coached 27 players who were drafted in the NFL. They all didn't get drafted on talent alone. He coached them. If that's an average coach I wish we had 10 more just like him.

David Pollack has said (before RG was hired at AU) that RG was a terrible DL coach. Sometimes talent and effort alone does get you drafted.

wde

Link?

^^This^^ I need to hear this before I believe it.

wde

Just a thought.

wde

wde

First off I don't know what ITAT stands for second I saw your thread on Scout which you started even though another thread was ongoing. The reason my name is different is because My same name on Scout was taken here and it is 88Tiger. I think you give no credit to CRG at all and that is a bad thing...I think if I were to make the argument about the two recent decommits is that one of them was a 3*. But I am not complaining about him as it is a long way from signing day. Also, we are in on a couple of good DL guys so we will see how it goes from my aspect of it and also CRG was a recruiter of other good players on our team and not just the DL guys. but If I had an agenda I wouldn't mention that either....

2 things: 1st, if he's going to grey shirt at Bama why the hell are we so butt hurt about him decommitting? 2nd Its June. Chances are by February we will fill over 1/3 of our class with players who were at one time committed elsewhere and lose someone currently committed to us.

I don't want someone who's not good enough to play at Bama, if they can't play there they can't play at AU. The little brother mentality went out the door when Gus brought Champ in.

This is quite a head scratcher...

2 things: 1st, if he's going to grey shirt at Bama why the hell are we so butt hurt about him decommitting? 2nd Its June. Chances are by February we will fill over 1/3 of our class with players who were at one time committed elsewhere and lose someone currently committed to us.

I don't want someone who's not good enough to play at Bama, if they can't play there they can't play at AU. The little brother mentality went out the door when Gus brought Champ in.

Which part? That I see no reason to be pissed off about a kid that will likely not end up part of Bama's class or ours?

That I see no reason in getting upset about decommits this early in the process?

That we will have more decommits throughout the process of the 2016 signing class and sign players that are decommits from other schools to play for us?

That if we have people on here saying he's not good enough to play at Bama then in my opinion he shouldn't be good enough to play at AU?

Or that by Gus hiring Muschamp we now have the top offensive and defensive minds in the SEC on 1 staff and that Auburn fans should recognize this and stop being intimidated by what's going on in Tuscaloosa?

Not trying to be an ass just trying to clarify.

Which part? That I see no reason to be pissed off about a kid that will likely not end up part of Bama's class or ours?

That I see no reason in getting upset about decommits this early in the process?

That we will have more decommits throughout the process of the 2016 signing class and sign players that are decommits from other schools to play for us?

That if we have people on here saying he's not good enough to play at Bama then in my opinion he shouldn't be good enough to play at AU?

Or that by Gus hiring Muschamp we now have the top offensive and defensive minds in the SEC on 1 staff and that Auburn fans should recognize this and stop being intimidated by what's going on in Tuscaloosa?

I for one have missed the part where he's a lock to be a greyshirt at Bama. All indications that I've seen are that they are very much interested in signing him, which lead to his decomittment. And in any event, I highly doubt that our coaches view us as "little brother" or decide which guys to pursue based on some other schools' evaluations. If our coaches decided that Q was a player they wanted bad enough to extend him an early commitable offer to him, then I'll difer to their judgement.

I for one have missed the part where he's a lock to be a greyshirt at Bama. All indications that I've seen are that they are very much interested in signing him, which lead to his decomittment. And in any event, I highly doubt that our coaches view us as "little brother" or decide which guys to pursue based on some other schools' evaluations. If our coaches decided that Q was a player they wanted bad enough to extend him an early commitable offer to him, then I'll difer to their judgement.

I'll defer all opinions to coaches judgement because they're in the staff meetings and not me. My statement was directed towards the multiple posters here that are saying to some extent or another that he's never going to play for Bama. My response to them is if he's not good enough to play there he shouldn't be good enough to play AU. Hence my little brother comment. And IMO Marshall is 10x the player as Williams, his decommitment was far more concerning. WDE

I agree that we have the bet offensive minded coach the best defensive minded coach. Why worry about what's going on at turd and little nicky. Besides, I strongly believe his days are numbered because the clock is ticking.

I agree that we have the bet offensive minded coach the best defensive minded coach. Why worry about what's going on at turd and little nicky. Besides, I strongly believe his days are numbered because the clock is ticking.

Which clock?

Which clock?

That's the spirit, old man!

:hellyeah:

Per Keith - Quinnen Williams has decommitted from Auburn. Another misled kid and family that will end up at Miss. St due to Alabama's lies.

Actually he's a take for Bama and could commit to them soon.

When Garner was at Georgia the boards were full of posts about how he was killing us as a recruiter. Now that he's at Auburn he's awful. :dunno:

Looking at his results since he's been here I think he's an excellent recruiter and was kept to coach the DL because Gus thinks he's a good coach.

LOL, you really believe this? Garner did kill us as a recruiter at UT and uga. He never was considered an above average DL coach at either UT or uga. Garner was a Jay Jacobs hire (which I was in favor of at the time because I thought his recruiting would compensate for his coaching weakness.) Right now, his recruiting at the position he coaches is worse than his on the field coaching.

wde

all but the last sentence here is false. Garner has put many DL over the years in the league. That does not happen on talent alone, especially on the DL. They have to be developed which he has done well over the years. Not sure if Jay wanted to keep Garner but I know Gus did so you can look at him for Garner staying.

We need Tracy Rocker as our DL coach. Gus needs to do everything he can to get Tracy back for 2016.

This has been discussed a million times. Rock is not leaving Athens til his kids leave the nest.

I see all the opinions about who is the real lure for DL to AU...and have to wonder...how many kids like Williams go to bama because of Smart...and who in the H*** is the bama DL coach? and has anyone outside of Tuscaloosa ever heard of him?

JMO but GUS needs to be the primary attraction for AU....though I accept that Muschamp has some good creds and should be taking advantage. BUT....depending on an assistant coach to do the heavy lifting on recruitment is just unrealistic....as is blaming him for the quality of the class.

It's not unrealistic. It's reality in most cases. Recruits develops the deep relationships with their area recruiters and positions coaches because that's how the rules have it designed.

I see all the opinions about who is the real lure for DL to AU...and have to wonder...how many kids like Williams go to bama because of Smart...and who in the H*** is the bama DL coach? and has anyone outside of Tuscaloosa ever heard of him?

JMO but GUS needs to be the primary attraction for AU....though I accept that Muschamp has some good creds and should be taking advantage. BUT....depending on an assistant coach to do the heavy lifting on recruitment is just unrealistic....as ist blaming him for the quality of the class.

It's not unrealistic. It's reality in most cases. Recruits develops the deep relationships with their area recruiters and positions coaches because that's how the rules have it designed.

Let them decommit - I would hope they would reference the careers of Dee Liner, Brent Calloway, and to degree Reuben Foster. If the Bama machine reached them then so be it I just hope they know what they are getting themselves into....recruiting is about perception too...whatever Bama can do to undermine players from going to Au they will do it. I find it ironic that both changed their minds after camping at Bama. I would prefer they get off board now instead of pulling a Yeldon....I know this staff will get it done....and get it done the right way.

Indeed. And if I was a recruiter for AU out recruiting a kid in this state, one of my questions for him would be what is his favorite school, if he says bama, I'll shake his hand and tell him good luck. Because 9 times out of ten, they won't offer until we have offered and the kid commits to us. That's when the turds come knocking. It's not worth my time, i'd rather get talent from Georgia and Florida before I'd recruit this state full of gullible bama fans.

Sometimes kid fandom does not matter and this is a perfect example. Q did grow up an AU fan but his dad is a heavy Bama guy and is pushing Q there.

I just don't understand why it's been mostly defensive players who are backing out. We have a guy who is considered by most to be the best defensive mind in college football as Defensive Coordinator and yet they seem to be telling us thanks but no thanks. I'm not criticizing any defensive coaches nor their ability to recruit. I guess it's because we have had several defensive players transfer and now these commitments backing out it just seems to be a bit puzzling.

Not puzzling at all. They are buying the Bama sales pitches.

Pollack was a great player

He is very much a tool

Don't care what he thinks of CRG ... A guy who will dog his college position coach is ... Well I don't think it speaks well of pollacj

This times 1000. There is no way in the world a 2 star full back out of high school has the production DP did and be a first round pick without being greatly developed by his position coach. Regardless of my own personal frustrations with Garner's recruiting losses I just lost all respect for Pollack.

This times 1000. There is no way in the world a 2 star full back out of high school has the production DP did and be a first round pick without being greatly developed by his position coach. Regardless of my own personal frustrations with Garner's recruiting losses I just lost all respect for Pollack.

Or Pollack worked really really really hard? Which just so happened to be his calling card as a player on the field as well?

A major part of college coaching is developing work ethic. Some guys just possess that themselves already. I think that its a bit comical to state that the only reason Pollack succeeded was because of coaching. His work ethic was through the roof.

I don't think he said anything close to "the only reason Pollack succeeded was because of coaching". He said Pollack is self-lionizing. He's crediting himself with 100% of his development, in spite of Coach Garner. That's crap. Garner put him in a position to succeed. They did it together. I think players deserve most of the credit, but when something happens over and over and over again, you can probably rest assured that the one commonality (Garner) has something to do with the result.

Or Pollack worked really really really hard? Which just so happened to be his calling card as a player on the field as well?

A major part of college coaching is developing work ethic. Some guys just possess that themselves already. I think that its a bit comical to state that the only reason Pollack succeeded was because of coaching. His work ethic was through the roof.

I don't think he said anything close to "the only reason Pollack succeeded was because of coaching". He said Pollack is self-lionizing. He's crediting himself with 100% of his development, in spite of Coach Garner. That's crap. Garner put him in a position to succeed. They did it together. I think players deserve most of the credit, but when something happens over and over and over again, you can probably rest assured that the one commonality (Garner) has something to do with the result.

This times 1000.

E did say that coaching was necessary, but not that it was sufficient.

OT: does anyone else find it super easy to poke holes in someone's arguments by misrepresenting their position, then attacking the misrepresentation?

This times 1000.

E did say that coaching was necessary, but not that it was sufficient.

OT: does anyone else find it super easy to poke holes in someone's arguments by misrepresenting their position, then attacking the misrepresentation?

Every member of the current administration in DC?

Every member of the current administration in DC?

Give yourself a big high five after that one, did ya?

Archived