Huge Commitment For Auburn

Proud Tiger

Jarraud Powers commited to Auburn Sunday night. He had been considered pretty much a lock for bama but said his visit this weekend convinced him Auburn was the right place for him. Powers is a 5'9", 175 DB from Decatur High and is considered the top cornerback prospect in the state. This is a huge face-to-face win for Auburn over bama for a top in-state recruit.

He's a good pickup. I don't know that I'd call it "huge". He's a three-star recruit according to Rivals and Scout. From what I've read, he does make up for his height by hitting like a train and having excellent technique. We shall see. Bottom line is, the man chose Auburn and for that I say thanks and welcome to the family.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I realize that the coaches know much more than I do, but is a 5'9" DB going to hack it in a league of 6'+ receivers?

132868[/snapback]

Billy Beane of the Oakland A's doesn't put much stock in what a player looks like, but rather puts it in how they play. I would bet they guy plays bigger than 5'9".

On another note, this is a huge political pickup as Bama was supposed to be a lock with this guy.

His rep is that he's a lock down corner, a la Carlos. So if he can do that, it'll be great. He's also a kick and punt returner extraordinaire...so that may be another reason we wanted him, as we are losing Caddy! Look what Prothro does at his size for Bamar (he's my homie from Heflin)....

It's all just "fog and inuendo" until NSD, right?  :D

132887[/snapback]

...or smoke and mirrors. :):au:

Pay no attention to that booster behind the curtain!

Since he was recruited by Bama, I must ask:

Will he qualify?

132895[/snapback]

Yes...but he will drop to an "Unranked" now....

we also picked up the best kicker in florida, zach kutch. i saw this in a rivals.com article about his commitment.

Kutch attended many games this year in Auburn and came away impressed according to his mom. He made the decision to commit to Auburn following a visit from Alabama head coach Mike Shula on Thursday.

THANKS COACH MIKE :lol::lol::lol:

Just looked at Scout.com's team rankings, and they have us 18th...so, being that enquiring minds want to know why, I dug a little deeper! I found that they had all of our 4 star guys (on Rivals) rated as 3 stars, except for one! So that explained that. They have UGA #2 (gee, what a surprise), UT was 5th, and LS_Who was 20th...and that was it for the SEC teams. What a joke..........again! :au::homer:

Rk. School Commits Conf. Points Top 100

1. Michigan 18 Big Ten 1571 2

2. Georgia 15 SEC 1515 2

3. Ohio State 13 Big Ten 1246 2

4. Virginia 21 ACC 1232 2

5. Tennessee 13 SEC 1197 3

6. Oklahoma 15 Big 12 1194 4

7. Nebraska 22 Big 12 1146 2

8. Miami (Fl) 11 ACC 1096 2

9. Arizona 19 Pac-10 1002 1

10. Purdue 14 Big Ten 994 2

11. USC 9 Pac-10 975 4

12. Iowa 15 Big Ten 932 2

13. Texas A&M 21 Big 12 916 0

14. Texas 11 Big 12 899 2

15. Maryland 16 ACC 837 0

16. Virginia Tech 16 ACC 821 0

17. Texas Tech 16 Big 12 787 0

18. Auburn 14 SEC 732 1

19. California 13 Pac-10 726 0

20. LSU 9 SEC 707 1

21. Clemson 20 ACC 669 0

22. UCLA 16 Pac-10 663 0

23. Florida State 9 ACC 662 2

24. Missouri 20 Big 12 649 0

25. Wisconsin 22 Big Ten 609 1

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14

scout.com sucks. their ranking system is garbage, they rarely reevaluate players throughout the season, and they dont do any type of real evaluation of juco and prepschool guys.

rivals is pretty legit. I think AU will move up when its all said and done, but they wont get a lot of theirs until signing day. Bama will move up and probably end up in the top 15. AU probably finishes somewhere around 7-8

SKCAUB, I pm'd you.

His rep is that he's a lock down corner, a la Carlos. So if he can do that, it'll be great. He's also a kick and punt returner extraordinaire...so that may be another reason we wanted him, as we are losing Caddy! Look what Prothro does at his size for Bamar (he's my homie from Heflin)....

132885[/snapback]

Anybody know anything about this DT comittment from Texas? He doesn't look like much help in the rankings.

The same could have been said about six years ago concerning a skinny kid from Ga. that nobody recruited...What was his name?...Oh, that's right...Dontarius Thomas ! ! ! ! ! :au::D

According to Pruiett of the Huntsville Times, Bama has 22 commits, so they've almost topped out, number-wise, and I wouldn't expect them to do much more. If we've only signed 10-14, I suspect we're saving some schollies for some real blue-chips that will announce late--as blue-chips are prone to do--that CTT & Co. are pretty sure about.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/j...53773469861.xml

From all indications, both Alabama and Auburn are on schedule to clean up on national signing date in early February.

"I think we're probably a little further along than we were this time last year,'' said Shula, whose program can sign as many as 25 for the first time in two years.

Counting three "grayshirts'' who signed last year, the Crimson Tide already has 22 commitments - 11 on each side of the ball.

The offensive prospects are quarterbacks Jimmy Barnes of Los Alamitos, Calif., and John Parker Wilson of Hoover; running backs Glen Coffee of Fort Walton, Fla., and Ali Sharrief of Stevenson; offensive lineman Evan Cardwell of Killen, Drew Davis of Evergreen, Marlon David of Columbus, Ga., Scott Deaton of Birmingham, Cole Harvey of Tallahassee, Michael Johnson of Pensacola and Byron Walton of Trinity; and tight end Charles Hoke of Birmingham.

On the defensive side are cornerbacks Sam Burnthall of Decatur, Lionel Mitchell of Chatham, Va., and Michael Ricks of Courtland; ends Brandon Fanney of Chatham, Va., Travis McCall of Prattville and Zach Schreiber of Shreveport, La.; defensive tackle Lorenzo Washington of Chatham, Va.; and linebackers Baron Huber of Knoxville, Prince Hall of Moreno Valley, Byron Huber of Knoxville and Cory Reamer of Hoover.

"We've still got a lot of work to do,'' Shula said. "It's so competitive out there. You want to make sure nobody's hustling more than you do.''

Auburn's list is more modest, but only in numbers, not in quality.

Tray Blackmon, rated the top player in the nation at his position, heads a linebacker group that includes Rex Sharpe of Fairfield, Ryan Stamper of Jacksonville, Fla., and Alonzo Horton of New Orleans; defensive backs Aairon Savage of Albany, Ga., and Patrick Trahan of New Orleans; defensive tackle Rudy Odom of Mandeville, La.; tight end Andrew McCain of Birmingham; wide receiver Montez Billings of Pelham; and place-kicker Zach Kutch of Milton, Fla.

Auburn's 12-0 season has Tuberville's program on the final list for many of the Southeast's top prospects. "What we've done this season,'' Tuberville said, "has helped us get our foot in a lot of doors.''

Archived