Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too bad, i don't think. But the parking deck jetting into the skyline I'm not a fan of. Not to mention the two Walmarts going up on shug. However I'm going to miss the bar scene as they continually make downtown more family oriented.

Uhhh... the bar scene is not going anywhere. I really do wish people would let go of this small town and historic feel. I would like for the city to progress and enhance all amenities and structures.

Yes it is. The bank vault is the first to go. It is no secret in this town that the plan for toomers is more condos and shops and less bars. Not to be confused with restaurants with bars. And I never said I didn't want progress or was holding on to the small town idea. I hate Walmarts, the parking deck is going to be eyesore and would prefer to have as many watering hole options as possible.

In my 4 years at Auburn, I never stepped foot in the Vault. It closed because they weren't doing well, not because the city is transitioning into a more family friendly atmosphere. They're opening up a new bar right across from 17-16. As I've said before, it's a college town. Bars will make a killing down there if they can make sure it's appealing to the students.

Don't have a problem with bars, I drink. That is not the plan take the time like I did to read all of the proposals that are out for consideration. Someone posted the link earlier on this thread concerning future plans. Right now their is a moratorium on any building downtown. The problem is the plans to continue to build apartments at break neck speed. The corner of Wright St and Glenn, the ones that are almost finished on Ross street. Plans for more it has just put on hold for a while. To address the situation concerning bars, if as it was stated " they will make a killing" why are they constantly going out of business in Auburn. Don't try and say that is not true because I can name quite a few in the last two years. The bar you speak of coming across the street from 17-16 is not going to be just a bar according to the owner. What we are talking about is much bigger than a bar scene. The articles are in the paper called Villager I think that is the name of it.

Not too bad, i don't think. But the parking deck jetting into the skyline I'm not a fan of. Not to mention the two Walmarts going up on shug. However I'm going to miss the bar scene as they continually make downtown more family oriented.

Uhhh... the bar scene is not going anywhere. I really do wish people would let go of this small town and historic feel. I would like for the city to progress and enhance all amenities and structures.

Yes it is. The bank vault is the first to go. It is no secret in this town that the plan for toomers is more condos and shops and less bars. Not to be confused with restaurants with bars. And I never said I didn't want progress or was holding on to the small town idea. I hate Walmarts, the parking deck is going to be eyesore and would prefer to have as many watering hole options as possible.

In my 4 years at Auburn, I never stepped foot in the Vault. It closed because they weren't doing well, not because the city is transitioning into a more family friendly atmosphere. They're opening up a new bar right across from 17-16. As I've said before, it's a college town. Bars will make a killing down there if they can make sure it's appealing to the students.

Whatever, you know more than I.

What you describe is to fundamentally change Auburn away from the main things that most people love about Auburn. You are speaking of growing Auburn to a different town all together. I say, if you don't like it the way it is, find somewhere else that better suits you and quit pushing to fundamentally change the town we all love. Auburn attracts a different type of person from the rest of the country and we would like to keep it that way.

What you describe is to fundamentally change Auburn away from the main things that most people love about Auburn. You are speaking of growing Auburn to a different town all together. I say, if you don't like it the way it is, find somewhere else that better suits you and quit pushing to fundamentally change the town we all love. Auburn attracts a different type of person from the rest of the country and we would like to keep it that way.

The charm of the downtown area is fantastic in large part because of the small town feel. I'm not opposed to some upgrades and/or new construction. I actually really like the lights. I love the idea, maybe not the exact location, of the grocery store. Students on campus need one closer. Not a big fan of the hotel but it can be done really well. I don't even notice the Auburn Hotel because of the architecture. Blends very well. But the charm is always the feeling of stepping into a time capsule. It in a way describes the city and University so well. Small town with lots of family. I just worry that they want to grow too big tosoon and rob that experience from my kids or grandkids. Growing too fast for the infrastucture. That all being said, I still love this place, and will love this place 10, 20, 30 years from now despite any changes.

What I'd really like is an actual bar district. Bulldoze all those eyesore apartments on Genelda and turn it into "the strip" for the younger crowd. And that would still allow for the family oriented feel at Toomer's. But I don't get a vote :big:

No, that is not what I'm saying. Do not twist my words. I love the school and city that I attended. I also know that if the city is to attract future students, they will have to appeal to them as well. And by doing that is to be progressive, and they are. But all of you people are whining about the advancement of the city. Well I'm sorry, but you can't stop it. All you can do is complain about it.

No, that is not what I'm saying. Do not twist my words. I love the school and city that I attended. I also know that if the city is to attract future students, they will have to appeal to them as well. And by doing that is to be progressive, and they are. But all of you people are whining about the advancement of the city. Well I'm sorry, but you can't stop it. All you can do is complain about it.

There is a bar scene in downtown, must have missed that....

The yutes of Auburn don't need no dang whiskey places corrupting them. There is no time for that, they need to be studying.

;D/>

That's right IronMan. To quote another famous movie line, " fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son."

The yutes of Auburn don't need no dang whiskey places corrupting them. There is no time for that, they need to be studying.

;D

That's right IronMan. To quote another famous movie line, " fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son."

Haha, right you are. :thumbsup:

This argument is had in every city known to man. If folks don't want to lose the charm that Auburn has then make planning for density a higher priority. Get educated on city development practices and hire talented designers to maintain the ideals/culture of the city while creating opportunities for growth. Some cities have done this well, and others have not...but now is the time to plan for it, not after your interior neighborhoods and downtown have been destroyed (or vanilla'd) by shortsighted development or by misplaced fears of growth. Auburn WILL grow...but its citizens need to figure out HOW it will grow...which means prioritizing assets, figuring out what you want to keep, and tearing down what has no value. Transportation, density, sprawl, walkability, placemaking...are ALL more important than whether or not someone's favorite bar is going in downtown.

As an Auburn native, who moved away before it really experienced it's current boom, I have to say, I am happy to see my hometown moving forward. I actually moved away because it was not an ideal place for someone fresh out of college looking for a good job and to make a competitive wage. Now, that is not as true as it once was, and that is ok... And actually good.

What makes Auburn a great place is the people. Protect that, and you protect Auburn. Yes, I love the old Auburn, but as Auburn grows, it is still my Auburn to me.

I live in Auburn, and Auburn is now a bedroom town. When I was in school here early 70s it was an Auburn University town. The growth is amazingly rapid, that is why the new High School is being built. My grandson is in the 7th grade at the Junior High, he got his computer today, because there were more new kids than the system had plan for, so some of the 7th graders did not get their computer when school started. We have a good school system and many people living here wanting their kids to get a good education without having to put them in private school. Those of us who remember the old Auburn need to understand it is gone, due to population growth. I don't see how you stop it. New people don't know about nor want the old Auburn and it is/will change even more in the future.

I live in Auburn, and Auburn is now a bedroom town. When I was in school here early 70s it was an Auburn University town. The growth is amazingly rapid, that is why the new High School is being built. My grandson is in the 7th grade at the Junior High, he got his computer today, because there were more new kids than the system had plan for, so some of the 7th graders did not get their computer when school started. We have a good school system and many people living here wanting their kids to get a good education without having to put them in private school. Those of us who remember the old Auburn need to understand it is gone, due to population growth. I don't see how you stop it. New people don't know about nor want the old Auburn and it is/will change even more in the future.

I guess that means the pool hall, the three barber shops, the movie theater and the SaniFreeze are gone from College St. ....what a loss.

I guess that means the pool hall, the three barber shops, the movie theater and the SaniFreeze are gone from College St. ....what a loss.

I agree, they are all gone, but not forgotten by some of us. Sanifreeze was where us newlyweds, walked to on Sunday to get a good banana split to share as well as a few hugs and kisses on the way there and back home. It has grown so much it's just hard to believe it's the same town. But you know we have really enjoyed retire here and after so many moves, this will be our final home town we hope many years from now.

Go look at downtown Opelika and their historic districts. They've done well building up their downtown to the point Auburn has had to "step up." The City of Auburn has done very little to help retain the charm and history of the city.

Somebody needs to bring SaniFreeze back! Great ice cream sundaes for really cheap prices. I loved that place!

Yep...I lived less than a block from it on W Glenn and many nights a couple the guys from our apt would walk there for one of their greasy hotdogs and a milk shake ....total cost less than a buck for sure...probably about 50 or 60 cents. They are at least partly responsible for my double by-pass.

Somebody needs to bring SaniFreeze back! Great ice cream sundaes for really cheap prices. I loved that place!

A.K.A. the beloved SaniFlush

Archived