Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) I have it on good authority that the LED lights at the corner will not be multicolor all the time. Most of the time they will be a standard color, which has yet TBD, but will change to match with the events of the moment (Christmas, football, etc).

2) the Aubietron/ribbons won't look as out of place at night with the stadium lights on.

Do i understand that there are no curbs on the corners.....if so, guess the lights are used to delineate the edge of the road....

I think they are intended to take the classiest street corner in all the land and turn it into a tacky Broadway style street. Completely disgusting to ruin such a beautiful scene. Who wants to go to Toomers psychadelic rave club? I sure don't.. Brings a whole new meaning to "rolling" Toomers corner..

Your opinion. I think it looks awesome and just about all other students think so too. All of you are out of your minds if you think simple lights take away from a "small town" feel. Please save it, that's ridiculous. It's a COLLEGE town.

It is a college town that depends on huge amounts of money from people no longer in college. The sentiment of most (not all but most) of those a few years removed from college and older think it is tacky. Tacky definitely takes away from the small town classy vibe and I think it's ridiculous and that you are out of your mind if you think that turning Toomers corner into something that looks like it belongs on bourbon street is the best option. We'll just have to agree to disagree and I really hope they keep it simple with soft orange or white lights which would vastly reduce that tacky element of revolving colors.

A "small town" with an 87000 seat stadium!!!

I wonder how many griped when Auburn 1st paved its streets or put up traffic lights?

Does anyone know when they plan on planting the trees on Toomers corner and down College Street?

I read in an article, I have no idea which site it was on, that they were going to wait till the Fall to plant the trees. The bushes are there temporarily it said.

Do i understand that there are no curbs on the corners.....if so, guess the lights are used to delineate the edge of the road....

I think they are intended to take the classiest street corner in all the land and turn it into a tacky Broadway style street. Completely disgusting to ruin such a beautiful scene. Who wants to go to Toomers psychadelic rave club? I sure don't.. Brings a whole new meaning to "rolling" Toomers corner..

Your opinion. I think it looks awesome and just about all other students think so too. All of you are out of your minds if you think simple lights take away from a "small town" feel. Please save it, that's ridiculous. It's a COLLEGE town.

It is a college town that depends on huge amounts of money from people no longer in college. The sentiment of most (not all but most) of those a few years removed from college and older think it is tacky. Tacky definitely takes away from the small town classy vibe and I think it's ridiculous and that you are out of your mind if you think that turning Toomers corner into something that looks like it belongs on bourbon street is the best option. We'll just have to agree to disagree and I really hope they keep it simple with soft orange or white lights which would vastly reduce that tacky element of revolving colors.

Please wait and see it in person before you cast aspersions. I am not in Auburn and have not seen it in person, but I've worked in television long enough to know that things look very different on camera. I trust the people managing this project, and I think it will end up looking very classy.

Also, one of the details from the original article that I had forgotten about is that they put in power outlets so that bands can come in and plug in without having to run a generator to power their equipment. There will be more activity on Toomer's Corner than just rolling parties after AU wins. The city wants to make it an event venue.

Don't want to get off into something else besides football but the lights will be a speck as far as changes coming to Auburn. People should take a look at some of the new ordinances being changed and proposed concerning the city. It will soon not be recognizable to people that have not been in a long time if they continue down the roads they are proposing. It will no longer be the The Loveliest Village. Sorry for the rant.

Don't want to get off into something else besides football but the lights will be a speck as far as changes coming to Auburn. People should take a look at some of the new ordinances being changed and proposed concerning the city. It will soon not be recognizable to people that have not been in a long time if they continue down the roads they are proposing. It will no longer be the The Loveliest Village. Sorry for the rant.

Care to tells us that aren't "in the know" about these proposed ordinances and changes?

A "small town" with an 87000 seat stadium!!!

I wonder how many griped when Auburn 1st paved its streets or put up traffic lights?

Damn right we did...............never the same since then.....made us look like Ga. frickin Tech campus

Care to tells us that aren't "in the know" about these proposed ordinances and changes?

Danno's right. The city managers feel the heat when they need to draw money to the city, but they are willing to sacrifice the quaintness of downtown. Sad for those of us here. I was hoping that they would have the foresight to make auburn'a renewal like Opelika's downtown success story.

Danno's right. The city managers feel the heat when they need to draw money to the city, but they are willing to sacrifice the quaintness of downtown. Sad for those of us here. I was hoping that they would have the foresight to make auburn'a renewal like Opelika's downtown success story.

I wasn't really questioning his credibility or anything. Just wondering what is in the works as far as making the town different. Are they putting a mall next to Samford Hall or something? I live out West now, so it's not like I have much incoming information on a regular basis.

. (Abbreviated Quote)

Please wait and see it in person before you cast aspersions. I am not in Auburn and have not seen it in person, but I've worked in television long enough to know that things look very different on camera. I trust the people managing this project, and I think it will end up looking very classy.

Also, one of the details from the original article that I had forgotten about is that they put in power outlets so that bands can come in and plug in without having to run a generator to power their equipment. There will be more activity on Toomer's Corner than just rolling parties after AU wins. The city wants to make it an event venue.

Hopefully different folks than chose Aubietron's backside.

wait till the updyke cult comes to town..it will raise tacky to levels not seen since the last time they showed up.

Takes weeks, months and even years (Toomers) to clean up their stench.

After skimming that article(I'm at work right now), it doesn't sound as bad as some are making it seem. It will still have a small town feel.

I currently live in a college town(Colorado State), and to me, it sounds like Auburn is making it feel like this town--which I also love. The "strip" and square are both loved by students, visitors, and residents alike. There's something for everyone in the downtown area.

Not too bad, i don't think. But the parking deck jetting into the skyline I'm not a fan of. Not to mention the two Walmarts going up on shug. However I'm going to miss the bar scene as they continually make downtown more family oriented.

Infrastructure is not there for what is proposed. Traffic in Auburn is horrible now , no way can it handle some of the proposed projects. 100 ft tall buildings. No thank you. I don't mind change and progress when it is done in the right way.

Agreed. Parking is the worst and a parking deck won't help. Even in the off season traffic is a bear.

Not too bad, i don't think. But the parking deck jetting into the skyline I'm not a fan of. Not to mention the two Walmarts going up on shug. However I'm going to miss the bar scene as they continually make downtown more family oriented.

Certainly understandable. It's an eyesore in a small town. I think there are at least two buildings over 100 feet tall where I live(which is roughly twice the size of Auburn, not Opelika). Neither of which are close to the "main drag". Most of the newer condos in Auburn are taller than any building downtown here. There is a difference between here and Auburn though, that the bars, shops, etc. are closer to actual Auburn campus than CSU. While the campus here isn't far from "downtown" by any means(maybe 10 small blocks), it's not situated right on the main strip.

Here, they are in the process of moving the football stadium all of two miles to be on campus, which has got everyone in an uproar. Traffic is awful here, moving the stadium that much closer to the congestion of downtown will only make it worse. So I can definitely understand and sympathize where some of you are coming from on that front.

Agreed. Parking is the worst and a parking deck won't help. Even in the off season traffic is a bear.

Parking deck won't help parking? I assume you meant something else...otherwise that sentence is very contradictory of itself

Parking deck won't help parking? I assume you meant something else...otherwise that sentence is very contradictory of itself

It won't help enough to alleviate the problem. Especially if the 3 or 4 levels will be dedicated to downtown workers. Getting in and out of that area with concentrated traffic flow on roads to small to handle it. So, no, won't really help much. I'm againit dagnabit,

Uhhh... the bar scene is not going anywhere. I really do wish people would let go of this small town and historic feel. I would like for the city to progress and enhance all amenities and structures.

Uhhh... the bar scene is not going anywhere. I really do wish people would let go of this small town and historic feel. I would like for the city to progress and enhance all amenities and structures.

Yes it is. The bank vault is the first to go. It is no secret in this town that the plan for toomers is more condos and shops and less bars. Not to be confused with restaurants with bars. And I never said I didn't want progress or was holding on to the small town idea. I hate Walmarts, the parking deck is going to be eyesore and would prefer to have as many watering hole options as possible.

Archived