FCC net neutrality order released

TitanTiger

I guess Im the only one that still believes in the rule of law in America. Im not arguing the presumed merits or warts of these FCC Net Neutrality regulations. I do find several aspects of its passage somewhat troubling. Am I the only one troubled that the FCC can proclaim for itself regulatory powers that two, count'em 2 federal courts, had previously ruled they do not have? The rulings stated unequivocally the internet could not be regulated like a utility but that is exactly what the FCC is doing.

For me, the debate is about the rule of law. If it is viewed as no problem that an agency of government can proclaimed for itself powers that federal courts have already ruled twice they do not have, at what point does that kind of usurpation of power become a problem? It is also very troubling that Obama continues with what appears to be a clandestine regulatory obsession. Meaning, he has no problem but, in fact, rather seems to favor passing new regulations before anyone has a chance to review them or publicly debate them. This methodology seems contrary to the proper role of an entity designed to serve its constituents rather than dictate policy to them and, quite honestly, seems to share dangerous similarities to the very tyranny our founders worked diligently to avoid. Clearly they could not plan for every eventuation of technology but they did formulate a rule of law which in this case is being ignored.

This may be good policy, only time will tell but, I have serious concerns about the way it was implemented and where that kind of governance is heading.

Once again, you demonstrate a lack of understanding. This has nothing to do with the "rule of law".

The courts never disagreed on the principle of regulation or appropriateness of the regulation. The courts disagreed based solely on the classifications defined in the existing regulation. A technicality if you will. This fixes that.

So there wont be ANY lawsuits contesting that, right? It's really good to know its such a simple fix. :-\

Sorry I don't get your point. The fact companies will contest it has nothing to do with what I said.

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' net neutrality. And fewer options and more consolidation is a GOOD thing for us!

.@CharterCom could be close to inking a deal to buy Brighthouse. Company said to be worth $12billion.

Archived