San Diego Police with Cameras Have Drastic Reduction in Complaints

cptau

Darn body cameras are ruining the ability to make complaints.....

http://www.utsandieg...ncil-committee/

San Diego police wearing body cameras have used less force and seen substantially fewer complaints from the public, according to an in-house report to be presented to a City Council committee Wednesday.

The report says that after June, when the cameras were phased into use, officers had 40 percent fewer complaints against them as compared to the first half of the year.

Officers used force with some type of weapon 47 percent less often in comparisons over three-month periods, and used chemical agents such as pepper spray 31 percent less often, the report states.

“Body-worn camera technology is a win-win for both the officer and the community,” says a summary of the report written by San Diego Police Deputy Chief David Ramirez. “Although only implemented for a relatively short period of time, the results are very promising, showing a reduction in citizen complaints, allegations and a reduction of some use of force applications.”

The report is to be given by Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman to the Public Safety and Liveable Neighborhoods Committee, which meets at 2 p.m. at City Hall.

Police leaders decided to purchase the video cameras in an effort to restore public trust in a department rocked by numerous officer misconduct cases and lawsuits.

By the end of last year, 600 cameras were in use by patrol and gang-suppression officers in some areas of the city. Another 400 cameras will be bought later this year to equip remaining patrol and traffic officers.

The Police Department began testing cameras worn on the chest in January 2014. Officers in the Southeastern, Mid-City and Central divisions began wearing the small devices in June. The cameras were phased in over six months as internet service was upgraded to handle the huge amount of video being downloaded daily by officers, the report says.

The footage is stored in the cloud and linked to a digital evidence management system.

The report says that in the three police divisions using cameras between July and December, total allegations made against officers – including minor complaints – dropped by 60 percent compared to the period from January to June.

In the same three police divisions, officer use of force from November of 2013 through January of 2014 was compared to force used from November of 2014 through January of 2015. Reductions were noted in the use of a weapon and in chemical agents, but figures were not given for all types of use of force.

Sounds good, but there's one problem: cost. Outfitting large departments with body cameras costs a ton of money, and we all have to pay for that. A cheaper solution would be to ensure officers are acclimated to and cognizant of the fact that WE have the 100% legal right to record THEM, and to encourage citizens to do it. I pay for my camera phone with my own money, not the taxpayers. Additionally, this ensure that we're in control of the camera, not the ones purportedly being watched- avoiding the "I forgot to turn the camera on" problem.

they already have cameras in the patrol cars. this is the next step. as with all technology the cameras will get cheaper and the cost of cellular data transmission too. i'm ok with civilians video recoding the police.

Sounds good, but there's one problem: cost. Outfitting large departments with body cameras costs a ton of money, and we all have to pay for that. A cheaper solution would be to ensure officers are acclimated to and cognizant of the fact that WE have the 100% legal right to record THEM, and to encourage citizens to do it. I pay for my camera phone with my own money, not the taxpayers. Additionally, this ensure that we're in control of the camera, not the ones purportedly being watched- avoiding the "I forgot to turn the camera on" problem.

But i bet when you factor in the Court Costs, the potential payouts in any civil losses and the Protection, Career and Civil, to the Police Officers, i bet it is a cost saver in the long run.

I will predict it now. These cameras will stop whatever police brutality there is, BUT will also stop 5X that number of false brutality charges of "he said, he said" civil suits. My money is that police departments will wonder why they didnt go to cameras sooner. I will also predict a second wave of even better cameras/audio recorders coming shortly.

If cameras are needed to bring accountability of the men behind the blue line, I'm all for it. Being a cop is an honorable profession and it's time for all policemen to act as such.

A Sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man here recently. There was a great howling from the deceased's family until the body cam results were made public. The pictures clearly showed the deceased crouching behind a bush and pointing his gun at the officer. The "justified shooting" was a no-brainer for the coroner and the legal system.

A personal camera can be the cop's best friend.

Aside from the obvious benefit of giving a vivid account of any use of force (lethal or otherwise), body camera footage would be great for general use as evidence. They can also identify deficiencies to superiors that need to be addressed with training.

But i bet when you factor in the Court Costs, the potential payouts in any civil losses and the Protection, Career and Civil, to the Police Officers, i bet it is a cost saver in the long run.

I will predict it now. These cameras will stop whatever police brutality there is, BUT will also stop 5X that number of false brutality charges of "he said, he said" civil suits. My money is that police departments will wonder why they didnt go to cameras sooner. I will also predict a second wave of even better cameras/audio recorders coming shortly.

That's a very good point. High up-front cost, doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

I think it would be good for everyone.

Not to change the subject but it seems that 'copcams' are very popular. I was wondering how everyone felt about stationary, 'security' cameras?

They are used fairly extensively in other countries such as Britain. I think this was largely caused by IRA terrorism.

We seem to rely on privately-owned and operated (security) cameras. For example, were the cameras that captured the Boston Marathon bombers prior to and after dropping the bomb privately owned?

My feelings on this are a lot more mixed than they are for the proposition of copcams.

Not to change the subject but it seems that 'copcams' are very popular. I was wondering how everyone felt about stationary, 'security' cameras?

They are used fairly extensively in other countries such as Britain. I think this was largely caused by IRA terrorism.

We seem to rely on privately-owned and operated (security) cameras. For example, were the cameras that captured the Boston Marathon bombers prior to and after dropping the bomb privately owned?

My feelings on this are a lot more mixed than they are for the proposition of copcams.

All positive but man I can't quit thinking about the book "1984" when these topics are discussed.

What the Brits call cctv cameras. They catch a lot of criminal activity and may stop much more. They were used a lot in the UK urban rioting several years ago to ID the criminals. The Brits have both police monitored cctv and privately owned systems put up by private businesses. They estimate there are over 6 million in use.

And yes the book 1984 was set in Britain.

What the Brits call cctv cameras. They catch a lot of criminal activity and may stop much more. They were used a lot in the UK urban rioting several years ago to ID the criminals. The Brits have both police monitored cctv and privately owned systems put up by private businesses. They estimate there are over 6 million in use.

And yes the book 1984 was set in Britain.

We are entering into a scary new world.

Part of being a grownup is exploring and experimenting with the world. If we all end up being on the bottom end of a CCTV feed, then we all end up being drones run by whomever is in charge that day.

Archived