Holtz out at ESPN

WarEagle84

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/04/12/charles-barkley-sxsw-masters-espn-lou-holtz?page=2&devicetype=default

SI.com learned over the weekend that ESPN has parted ways with Lou Holtz, who had been a college football studio analyst with the network since 2004 and worked most notably with host Rece Davis and analyst Mark May on ESPN’s Saturday College Football Final pregame, halftime and postgame studio coverage. Holtz was also a regular contributor to SportsCenter and ESPN Radio. The decision, according to sources, was closer to a mutual agreement between the parties than Holtz getting forced out. The 78-year-old said last May that he would retire from broadcasting after the 2014 season though at the time the network said Holtz had not informed them of such thinking.

Best news I've heard all day. So happy that I revisited some great Dan Patrick impersonations of Lou Holtz.

I respect the guy as a coach (and he's a terrific "motivational speaker") but he had me about jumping through the TV set with his ongoing schtick about Auburn being SO lucky. Don't feel sorry for him, he won't be hurting for cash. His speaking engagements (for now) still attract huge crowds at a premium price. For you kids that just know him as the Gamecocks' or Notre Dame's coach, research what he did at Arky, IMO his finest hours.

The scary question now is who will BSPN groom as the new emotionally overwrought sidekick foil to Mark May's orchestrated "above it all" persona? Recruiting Tebow or McElroy doesn't fit the model. Jimmy Johnson would be perfect if they got him away from the NFL side. Maybe Bruce Pearl? :hellyeah:

Maybe they could tie him to Vern Lundquist along with a few cinder blocks and toss him off a ship......just saying. :bananadance:

Jokes aside, the man was irratating.

This should be a national holiday. So glad holtz is gone. Im young, so i cant help but believe he had his time at one point and was worh a crap at what he did, but these days it is painful to listen to the man talk.

That would tempt me to start watching that show. As is, I don't even turn the TV on during that time slot, and haven't for years.

Dang, I got a few chuckles from ole "slufferin suffatafsth". Although he was hard to understand at times, it was added entertainment to me. Ill miss the ole fellow....

Thank the lord we don't have to listen to his slobbering love for the greatest team of all time this season, Notre Dame

Amen! I stopped watching the show! Mark should go too. Let's hope Dumb and Dumber are next to leave CBS!

That would tempt me to start watching that show. As is, I don't even turn the TV on during that time slot, and haven't for years.

I echo this.

• 1 month later...

I respect the guy as a coach (and he's a terrific "motivational speaker") but he had me about jumping through the TV set with his ongoing schtick about Auburn being SO lucky. Don't feel sorry for him, he won't be hurting for cash. His speaking engagements (for now) still attract huge crowds at a premium price. For you kids that just know him as the Gamecocks' or Notre Dame's coach, research what he did at Arky, IMO his finest hours.

The scary question now is who will BSPN groom as the new emotionally overwrought sidekick foil to Mark May's orchestrated "above it all" persona? Recruiting Tebow or McElroy doesn't fit the model. Jimmy Johnson would be perfect if they got him away from the NFL side. Maybe Bruce Pearl? :hellyeah:/>

My bet is Paul Finenaum....careful what you wish for (Getting rid of Holtz). you just might get it!

The scary question now is who will BSPN groom as the new emotionally overwrought sidekick foil to Mark May's orchestrated "above it all" persona? Recruiting Tebow or McElroy doesn't fit the model. Jimmy Johnson would be perfect if they got him away from the NFL side. Maybe Bruce Pearl? :hellyeah:/>

My bet is Paul Finenaum....careful what you wish for (Getting rid of Holtz). you just might get it!

Oh hell no! The only thing in the world that could possibly be worse than Thenator Holth!

Archived