AU-FSU off table

RunInRed

I don't understand why people are so against. I've seen a few post bring up Auburn's record against FSU which means nothing in the microwaveable society we live in. What people see is that 2 seasons ago FSU beat Auburn in the national championship game and last year was one of the final four teams in the first ever CFP. Whether it's a home and home or neutral site I would love to play FSU but unfortunately that's not happening. When's the last time Auburn played a top tier team in a series matchup, USC?

Kansas State, Clemson....I don't think any Auburn fan is scared to play FSU, but it has to make economic sense. I wouldn't mind a home/home series. The win fall for playing in Jax, FL would be huge to their local/state economy. Why give them that money? We are playing Louisville this year at a neutral site.

Here's the new reality of college football that you are missing. Mega non-conference games like this are mostly going to become neutral site games. Home/Home series are becoming increasingly more rare because schools get more money from tv partners and expand their recruiting footprint by playing in new places. If coaches didn't want to play in these games, then they wouldn't be popping up everywhere as Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta all now have at least one guaranteed big match-up each year for kickoff games. Hell, Dallas hosted a kickoff game and then Texas/UCLA a couple of weeks later last season. And FYI, there are other cities wanting in on this.

As excited I as I am about playing Cal in the Bay Area (because it's an awesome trip), that's not a game that will get too many people excited nationally. And since we are a major program, we have to be willing to play ball or be left behind. Playing a neutral site game every 3-4 years isn't going to cut it long term. We need to be saying yes to one at least every 2 seasons. LSU, Bama, FSU, and other schools (all who we recruit against) are moving more towards that strategy. Kids want to play on big stages and in big games. These are becoming the biggest non-conference events of the early season. It's time to read the tea leaves and be aggressive with getting on these stages.

I will say the destination of going to Jacksonville, FL sounds alot better than the destination of Auburn, AL.

Depends on what you're going to do. If you want to go to the beach then Jacksonville is the place. For a college football game Auburn is hands down the better choice.

Yep. only a non-Auburn fan would rather go to Jacksonville for a football game than go to Auburn. That's just asinine to think Jacksonville would be a better place for a game involving Auburn than Auburn's own stadium. What a joke.

Jacksonville is a better place than Auburn. I never said anything about football, I'm stating in general. The vast majority of people rather go to Jacksonville than Auburn.

The entire premise of this thread was Auburn playing fsu in a neutral site game in Jacksonville. If you want to talk about Jacksonville go the all things considered forum and start the thread. This is directly about a FOOTBALL GAME, not a discussion on the better city. Please keep up. Jacksonville being better than Auburn is only YOUR opinion. I'm guessing not many here would share that opinion. The vast majority?? Again... only your opinion..nothing more.

What in your mind makes a small town better than a sprawling city? There's almost nothing to do in Auburn the other 6 days of the week vs a very active city in Jacksonville.

If you want to talk about football, yeah Auburn is a better city because that's almost it's entire reason of being; CFB. I'm not trying to argue that point.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those neutral site games are huge for recruiting. college football IMO has become a brand.. and kids these days want the "in" brand. when you're turning the tv on that first weekend of football and ur seeing these same teams in the good OOC matchups, ESPN, and Fox hype..it makes heads turn when it comes down to choosing top schools...

:dunno:/>

I don't understand why people are so against. I've seen a few post bring up Auburn's record against FSU which means nothing in the microwaveable society we live in. What people see is that 2 seasons ago FSU beat Auburn in the national championship game and last year was one of the final four teams in the first ever CFP. Whether it's a home and home or neutral site I would love to play FSU but unfortunately that's not happening. When's the last time Auburn played a top tier team in a series matchup, USC?

Kansas State, Clemson....I don't think any Auburn fan is scared to play FSU, but it has to make economic sense. I wouldn't mind a home/home series. The win fall for playing in Jax, FL would be huge to their local/state economy. Why give them that money? We are playing Louisville this year at a neutral site.

Here's the new reality of college football that you are missing. Mega non-conference games like this are mostly going to become neutral site games. Home/Home series are becoming increasingly more rare because schools get more money from tv partners and expand their recruiting footprint by playing in new places. If coaches didn't want to play in these games, then they wouldn't be popping up everywhere as Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta all now have at least one guaranteed big match-up each year for kickoff games. Hell, Dallas hosted a kickoff game and then Texas/UCLA a couple of weeks later last season. And FYI, there are other cities wanting in on this.

As excited I as I am about playing Cal in the Bay Area (because it's an awesome trip), that's not a game that will get too many people excited nationally. And since we are a major program, we have to be willing to play ball or be left behind. Playing a neutral site game every 3-4 years isn't going to cut it long term. We need to be saying yes to one at least every 2 seasons. LSU, Bama, FSU, and other schools (all who we recruit against) are moving more towards that strategy. Kids want to play on big stages and in big games. These are becoming the biggest non-conference events of the early season. It's time to read the tea leaves and be aggressive with getting on these stages.

I will say the destination of going to Jacksonville, FL sounds alot better than the destination of Auburn, AL.

Depends on what you're going to do. If you want to go to the beach then Jacksonville is the place. For a college football game Auburn is hands down the better choice.

Yep. only a non-Auburn fan would rather go to Jacksonville for a football game than go to Auburn. That's just asinine to think Jacksonville would be a better place for a game involving Auburn than Auburn's own stadium. What a joke.

Jacksonville is a better place than Auburn. I never said anything about football, I'm stating in general. The vast majority of people rather go to Jacksonville than Auburn.

The entire premise of this thread was Auburn playing fsu in a neutral site game in Jacksonville. If you want to talk about Jacksonville go the all things considered forum and start the thread. This is directly about a FOOTBALL GAME, not a discussion on the better city. Please keep up. Jacksonville being better than Auburn is only YOUR opinion. I'm guessing not many here would share that opinion. The vast majority?? Again... only your opinion..nothing more.

What in your mind makes a small town better than a sprawling city? There's almost nothing to do in Auburn the other 6 days of the week vs a very active city in Jacksonville.

If you want to talk about football, yeah Auburn is a better city because that's almost it's entire reason of being; CFB. I'm not trying to argue that point.

Once again...WEIRD!

What in your mind makes a small town better than a sprawling city?

It's MY OPINION. I couldn't care less if you agree with it or not. Again the TOPIC of this thread is about a FOOTBALL GAME. Keeping in context with the actual topic is all I'm doing here. Why is it so hard for you to keep up??

There's almost nothing to do in Auburn the other 6 days of the week vs a very active city in Jacksonville.
Again, your opinion.
If you want to talk about football, yeah Auburn is a better city because that's almost it's entire reason of being; CFB.

Well that's where you are wrong...AGAIN. Another uater comment. Football is not the entire reason of being and its completely ludicrous to make such a statement. Auburn is a University first that happens to have a football team. Without the University the football team wouldn't exist. It's not the other way around.

I'm not trying to argue that point.

Given that a FOOTBALL game is the topic of thread, that's exactly what you are arguing. Again, you are struggling to keep up with a simple conversation.

those neutral site games are huge for recruiting. college football IMO has become a brand.. and kids these days want the "in" brand. when you're turning the tv on that first weekend of football and ur seeing these same teams in the good OOC matchups, ESPN, and Fox hype..it makes heads turn when it comes down to choosing top schools...

It's not as big of a deal as you're thinking. For a lesser known school, yeah it might be. When you're an annual contender in the SEC it isn't as big. Auburn gets plenty of big time games each year. I don't mind playing these games but Auburn can sort of choose the terms. No logical reason for a single game in their backyard

I never had a problem finding stuff to do during the week when I lived in Auburn. And that was before it exploded into what it is now.

Just sayin'.

You only lived in Auburn for a week?!? :poke:

I never had a problem finding stuff to do during the week when I lived in Auburn. And that was before it exploded into what it is now.

Just sayin'.

You only lived in Auburn for a week?!? :poke:/>

;)

It's MY OPINION. I couldn't care less if you agree with it or not. Again the TOPIC of this thread is about a FOOTBALL GAME. Keeping in context with the actual topic is all I'm doing here. Why is it so hard for you to keep up??

There's almost nothing to do in Auburn the other 6 days of the week vs a very active city in Jacksonville.
Again, your opinion.
If you want to talk about football, yeah Auburn is a better city because that's almost it's entire reason of being; CFB.

Well that's where you are wrong...AGAIN. Another uater comment. Football is not the entire reason of being and its completely ludicrous to make such a statement. Auburn is a University first that happens to have a football team. Without the University the football team wouldn't exist. It's not the other way around.

Given that a FOOTBALL game is the topic of thread, that's exactly what you are arguing. Again, you are struggling to keep up with a simple conversation.

If the city didn't have football, outside of Alabama, most people would not know of Auburn and it would have zero intrigue

If the city of Jacksonville didn't have football, nobody would care because Jacksonville doesn't need football at all to be an attractive destination .

I don't care about YOUR opinion, I'm stating something you could get a general consensus on, Jacksonville is superior as a city to Auburn

Again, your opinion.

If the city didn't have football, outside of Alabama, most people would not know of Auburn and it would have zero intrigue

If the city of Jacksonville didn't have football, nobody would care because Jacksonville doesn't need football at all to be an attractive destination .

I don't care about YOUR opinion, I'm stating something you could get a general consensus on, Jacksonville is superior as a city to Auburn

I am a member of this board and a human being. It is your opinion that J'ville is a better place to live than Auburn. It is my opinion that I would MUCH rather live in Auburn. So much so that we are debating retiring there, and we are not considering Jacksonville. Maybe a couple of places in Fla., but not there. I hope you get to live there someday, if you like it that much.

Just for the record, there are those of us who prefer the small town atmosphere. Some of us, me for one, prefer the wide open spaces. It takes all kinds. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

Jacksonville, AL is a lovely little town. I was born and grew up in Anniston and I feel places like J'ville, Anniston, Oxford, Gadsden, Glencoe are all great small towns. The only time I've stayed in Auburn is either on Gameday or sometimes Friday - Saturday - Sunday. But let me tell you, I LOVE the town of Auburn as much as I LOVE the other small towns I posted. They all have a lot to offer and it's all good.

I for one wished we would have played the game but I believe Auburn would be the ideal town in which to live, and I believe it has made the top 10 places to live in America a few times -so not just my opinion.

Archived