AU-FSU off table

RunInRed

I don't understand why people are so against. I've seen a few post bring up Auburn's record against FSU which means nothing in the microwaveable society we live in. What people see is that 2 seasons ago FSU beat Auburn in the national championship game and last year was one of the final four teams in the first ever CFP. Whether it's a home and home or neutral site I would love to play FSU but unfortunately that's not happening. When's the last time Auburn played a top tier team in a series matchup, USC?

Kansas State, Clemson....I don't think any Auburn fan is scared to play FSU, but it has to make economic sense. I wouldn't mind a home/home series. The win fall for playing in Jax, FL would be huge to their local/state economy. Why give them that money? We are playing Louisville this year at a neutral site.

Here's the new reality of college football that you are missing. Mega non-conference games like this are mostly going to become neutral site games. Home/Home series are becoming increasingly more rare because schools get more money from tv partners and expand their recruiting footprint by playing in new places. If coaches didn't want to play in these games, then they wouldn't be popping up everywhere as Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta all now have at least one guaranteed big match-up each year for kickoff games. Hell, Dallas hosted a kickoff game and then Texas/UCLA a couple of weeks later last season. And FYI, there are other cities wanting in on this.

As excited I as I am about playing Cal in the Bay Area (because it's an awesome trip), that's not a game that will get too many people excited nationally. And since we are a major program, we have to be willing to play ball or be left behind. Playing a neutral site game every 3-4 years isn't going to cut it long term. We need to be saying yes to one at least every 2 seasons. LSU, Bama, FSU, and other schools (all who we recruit against) are moving more towards that strategy. Kids want to play on big stages and in big games. These are becoming the biggest non-conference events of the early season. It's time to read the tea leaves and be aggressive with getting on these stages.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why people are so against. I've seen a few post bring up Auburn's record against FSU which means nothing in the microwaveable society we live in. What people see is that 2 seasons ago FSU beat Auburn in the national championship game and last year was one of the final four teams in the first ever CFP. Whether it's a home and home or neutral site I would love to play FSU but unfortunately that's not happening. When's the last time Auburn played a top tier team in a series matchup, USC?

Kansas State, Clemson....I don't think any Auburn fan is scared to play FSU, but it has to make economic sense. I wouldn't mind a home/home series. The win fall for playing in Jax, FL would be huge to their local/state economy. Why give them that money? We are playing Louisville this year at a neutral site.

Here's the new reality of college football that you are missing. Mega non-conference games like this are mostly going to become neutral site games. Home/Home series are becoming increasingly more rare because schools get more money from tv partners and expand their recruiting footprint by playing in new places. If coaches didn't want to play in these games, then they wouldn't be popping up everywhere as Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta all now have at least one guaranteed big match-up each year for kickoff games. Hell, Dallas hosted a kickoff game and then Texas/UCLA a couple of weeks later last season. And FYI, there are other cities wanting in on this.

As excited I as I am about playing Cal in the Bay Area (because it's an awesome trip), that's not a game that will get too many people excited nationally. And since we are a major program, we have to be willing to play ball or be left behind. Playing a neutral site game every 3-4 years isn't going to cut it long term. We need to be saying yes to one at least every 2 seasons. LSU, Bama, FSU, and other schools (all who we recruit against) are moving more towards that strategy. Kids want to play on big stages and in big games. These are becoming the biggest non-conference events of the early season. It's time to read the tea leaves and be aggressive with getting on these stages.

Almost 100% disagree.....there are about 120 top tier teams and maybe three or four of these mega stadium games per year. At some point we may be playing more of these games....but for now, there is no reason that AU must do this. I expect the Athletic Department and Gus know what needs to be done....and when it needs to be done.

I think the athletic department has already decided what needs to be done. Once this season rolls around we will have played in 2 neutral site games in 4 years. That seems like they already are showing that is what they want to do.

How many of these kickoff games are really big draws. They aren't marquee matchups generally. Is Alabama and Wisconsin a must see game? Recruits know that Auburn is going to play in big meaningful games every year by virtue of being in the SEC.

How many of these kickoff games are really big draws. They aren't marquee matchups generally. Is Alabama and Wisconsin a must see game? Recruits know that Auburn is going to play in big meaningful games every year by virtue of being in the SEC.

It's certainly a hell of a lot better than Auburn vs No Name State on the same weekend. And yes, these games ARE big draws. They are played during a time of year when there are typically not many marquee matchups because conference season hasn't started in earnest, thus getting the best time slots to play and most attention on SportsCenter, Gameday, etc. Everyone looks at "how many people are in the stands" when the real question is "how many eyeballs are on the game". Those two things are vastly different, but these games don't have a problem drawing well for the most part.

Y'all, college football is changing and it's changing quickly. Money and TV drive it more than ever. The way the game is presented and the amount of content available is vastly different from even 10 years ago. To get the most out of their investments, TV partners are going to demand better games in the non-conference. Now if they can partner with a neutral site and make big games a reality, then they will do it. And the fact is, AU needs that TV money in order to compete and survive in the long run.

You can add the Orlando Kickoff classic starting in 2016 with FSU vs Ole Miss.

Hot damn.....how can I get tickets to that game? A game with those two national powerhouses sounds much better than hanging around Auburn to watch Auburn and Clemson play again.

I can see why these type games are going to be so popular.....thanks Golf for helping me get the picture.

Hot damn.....how can I get tickets to that game? A game with those two national powerhouses sounds much better than hanging around Auburn to watch Auburn and Clemson play again.

I can see why these type games are going to be so popular.....thanks Golf for helping me get the picture.

I understand the sarcasm, but one team was in the CFB Playoff last year and the other was in one of the Big 6 bowl games. Sounds like an attractive game to me.

I understand the sarcasm, but one team was in the CFB Playoff last year and the other was in one of the Big 6 bowl games. Sounds like an attractive game to me.

And they both got absolutely CRUSHED and proved they didn't belong where they were put. Ironically they both lost by 39 point margins. :lol: Both of those programs fall significantly this season, IMO.

I will say the destination of going to Jacksonville, FL sounds alot better than the destination of Auburn, AL.

edit: I don't really see how Ole Miss is any worse than last year. It gives another year of development to all the young great pieces they had on defense. Losing Senquez Golson and Cody Prewitt is gonna hurt but with more dual-threat QBs, and with the RB position only being able to improve, they should be even better on offense. I dont see a drop off

And they both got absolutely CRUSHED and proved they didn't belong where they were put. Ironically they both lost by 39 point margins. :lol: Both of those programs fall significantly this season, IMO.

Count me as one who would rather get crushed in the playoff than losing in overtime in an average bowl game. At least they got there.

If we're going to keep playing ACC teams, I'd rather see us play Florida State then keep playing Clemson every 2 to 3 years. What do y'all think?

You add the Orlando Kickoff classic starting in 2016 with FSU vs Ole Miss.

You're a person that would want to see almost anyone play, which is fine. Its not going to draw many people who aren't just football junkies or fans of either team. There is no curiosity factor to draw in the causal fan. I have no great desire to watch that game. Honestly I only watched Auburn and the three playoff games in the postseason last year.

I will say the destination of going to Jacksonville, FL sounds alot better than the destination of Auburn, AL.

Depends on what you're going to do. If you want to go to the beach then Jacksonville is the place. For a college football game Auburn is hands down the better choice.

If we're going to keep playing ACC teams, I'd rather see us play Florida State then keep playing Clemson every 2 to 3 years. What do y'all think?

Home and home is fine. New Orleans, Houston or Dallas would be fine. Jacksonville, no thanks

Depends on what you're going to do. If you want to go to the beach then Jacksonville is the place. For a college football game Auburn is hands down the better choice.

Yep. only a non-Auburn fan would rather go to Jacksonville for a football game than go to Auburn. That's just asinine to think Jacksonville would be a better place for a game involving Auburn than Auburn's own stadium. What a joke.

I rather see us play the remnants of Christian Ponder's career than ever play Clemson again

Yep. only a non-Auburn fan would rather go to Jacksonville for a football game than go to Auburn. That's just asinine to think Jacksonville would be a better place for a game involving Auburn than Auburn's own stadium. What a joke.

Jacksonville is a better place than Auburn. I never said anything about football, I'm stating in general. The vast majority of people rather go to Jacksonville than Auburn.

Jacksonville is a better place than Auburn. I never said anything about football, I'm stating in general. The vast majority of people rather go to Jacksonville than Auburn.

Speaking for yourself bud. I'd rather be in Auburn on a gameday than just about any other place in the world.

Speaking for yourself bud. I'd rather be in Auburn on a gameday than just about any other place in the world.

Why do you keep bringing football in this? I'm not talking about football, as I already stated.

Why do you keep bringing football in this? I'm not talking about football, as I already stated.

Ok that's fine that you believe this but you brought it into the middle of a discussion about Auburn playing FSU. The natural thing to think is that you believe it would be better to play them there in the mind of anyone not associated with Auburn.

So glad I could help 64. That's what I'm here for. Now if I could just convert bird all would be well.

The entire premise of this thread was Auburn playing fsu in a neutral site game in Jacksonville. If you want to talk about Jacksonville go the all things considered forum and start the thread. This is directly about a FOOTBALL GAME, not a discussion on the better city. Please keep up. Jacksonville being better than Auburn is only YOUR opinion. I'm guessing not many here would share that opinion. The vast majority?? Again... only your opinion..nothing more.

Jacksonville is a pit. I lived there for 4 years and was glad to leave it. I am taking a severance package from my current company this summer because I refuse to move back to Jacksonville when they decided to move all of our positions over to Jax. And I would much rather be in AU than Jax..but I do like living down where I live in Fl. As for watching football JHS all the way...much better than the experience that you have in the Jags stadium. The experience is much better in JHS. But that is just my opinion.

Archived