BREAKING: Grand Jury indicts 6 Baltimore police officers in Freddie Gray case

TitanTiger

I thought they were already charged. And that the knife was legal.

Huh.

They were charged by the prosecutor. But they still had to go before a grand jury to see if they would be indicted and sent to trial. That happened today.

The knife was legal under Maryland law but Baltimore has a broader definition of what constitutes an illegal knife. So it wasn't a switchblade but was still illegal once that was cleared up. Thus the dropping of the false arrest charges. The rest of the charges all stood with reckless endangerment added.

Mosby has been catching heat for everything she's done so far. She was warned by defense attorneys that the knife in question was illegal in Baltimore. She publicly denied the knife was illegal, but someone changed what was presented to the grand jury and the arrest became legal.

http://chippewa.com/...9da3961e31.html

She's mostly been catching heat from the police union, their defense attorneys and those who typically take the side of police no matter what happens. Defense attorneys "warn" prosecutors of all sorts of stuff. They advocate for their clients. And she was hearing from some who said it was a legal knife. The bottom line is, it is completely normal for charges to be brought but for them to be changed/added/dropped by the time the case actually goes before the grand jury. It's part of the process. And the false arrest thing really wasn't the biggest problem for these guys anyway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raise your hand if you're surprised at what raptor is arguing about.....anybody? No? Not really? Ok

only because she's a black woman, cole. Remember that. It's the ONLY reason.

I thought they were already charged. And that the knife was legal.

Huh.

They were charged by the prosecutor. But they still had to go before a grand jury to see if they would be indicted and sent to trial. That happened today.

The knife was legal under Maryland law but Baltimore has a broader definition of what constitutes an illegal knife. So it wasn't a switchblade but was still illegal once that was cleared up. Thus the dropping of the false arrest charges. The rest of the charges all stood with reckless endangerment added.

Mosby has been catching heat for everything she's done so far. She was warned by defense attorneys that the knife in question was illegal in Baltimore. She publicly denied the knife was illegal, but someone changed what was presented to the grand jury and the arrest became legal.

http://chippewa.com/...9da3961e31.html

i stood up for the arresting officers. You can't back brutality in a van if that is where it occurred. The arguments i got here were he should not have been chased or arrested. The prosecutor's case will keep falling apart. I don't know how many cops were in the vehicle but i know all these charges can't stick. It was political whether we admit it or not.

I don't think "all" the charges will stick either, but that doesn't mean the case falls apart. Some of the charges overlap. In other words, the one who is charges with 2nd degree murder is also charged with manslaughter. You won't get both of those. You make the indictments but this gives the jury options. If they don't feel the conduct rises to the level of murder, they can drop down to manslaughter for instance. Some prosecutors make the mistake of going all or nothing and it bites them in the rear when the jury has no lesser charge as an option.

I still don't believe he needed to be chased. But once they did, if the knife was illegal it was lawful to arrest. What happened after that though is what the real issue is. People would have been mildly upset at a ticky tack arrest. They were angry because a man was abused and killed.

Don't tell Raptor. He's got it cemented into his head that the prosecutor practically broke her neck, risking life and limb running to file charges so fast that she barely looked at any of the evidence. And the fact that this charge got dropped and reckless endangerment added is the PROOF!

Wrong, Titan.

I'M not the one who is convinced, As I've shown you, it was others who thought that.

" Writing in The Baltimore Sun, a former federal prosecutor in Maryland and a former official in the Justice Department have penned a scathing critique of Mosby's perceived "rush to judgment" that they charge has corrupted the legal process and condemned otherwise good police officers."

And yet oddly, you turn it into some sort of pissing context. I really don't care.

A small minority of people are clinging to this outside of those who you would expect to - the defense attorneys and police union. Most aren't having all this angina over it because they get how the process works and don't point to normal procedural issues as some sort of validation that there was a "rush to judgment." She waited a until a week after the incident and even had third party investigators look into the matter, paired that with the police investigation and then filed charges. There was zilch that was "rushed" about this.

Maybe their 'angina' reaction is based in the desire to not see another Duke Lacrosse case, or Trayvon / Zimmerman fiasco, where prosecutors over charge, or rush to judgement. Clearly, a former federal prosecutor in Maryland and a former official in the Justice Department are just knee jerk reactionaries who have no clue of what they're saying.

:-\

Raise your hand if you're surprised at what raptor is arguing about.....anybody? No? Not really? Ok

only because she's a black woman, cole. Remember that. It's the ONLY reason.

No don't try to bait me in your race convos. You guys little face book has been exposed, I didn't say anything about race, that must just be how you feel.

Maybe their 'angina' reaction is based in the desire to not see another Duke Lacrosse case, or Trayvon / Zimmerman fiasco, where prosecutors over charge, or rush to judgement. Clearly, a former federal prosecutor in Maryland and a former official in the Justice Department are just knee jerk reactionaries who have no clue of what they're saying.

"Former" being the operative word (if their status as a prosecutor at some point is the thing you think makes so much difference). They both work on the defense side of things now.

This case is nothing like either of those cases in terms of third party eyewitnesses or evidence. And she not only took the evidence of the police department investigation but had another independent investigation work on it before bringing charges.

You're hanging onto the thinnest shreds of a hint of a problem to make out like this is some massive rush to judgment. But the timeline doesn't bear that out, no matter what a couple of op-eds say.

"Former" being the operative word (if their status as a prosecutor at some point is the thing you think makes so much difference). They both work on the defense side of things now.

So all they knew when working in their jobs before now has simply dissolved ? Been swiped from memory ?

This case is nothing like either of those cases in terms of third party eyewitnesses or evidence. And she not only took the evidence of the police department investigation but had another independent investigation work on it before bringing charges.

You're hanging onto the thinnest shreds of a hint of a problem to make out like this is some massive rush to judgment. But the timeline doesn't bear that out, no matter what a couple of op-eds say.

Again , you make the mistake of assuming I have any dog in this fight. I'm just pointing out what others are saying. But if it bothers you what a couple of " op eds " say, then I do apologize.

So all they knew when working in their jobs before now has simply dissolved ? Been swiped from memory ?

Again , you make the mistake of assuming I have any dog in this fight. I'm just pointing out what others are saying. But if it bothers you want a couple of " op eds " say, then I do apologize.

And the sincerest of thanks to you for boldly, and- most importantly, objectively- providing the other side of the story that we would definitely not be hearing without your valiant efforts. We all know how few allies the police have in media and politics... :-\

No, but which side butters their bread has changed. They make their living poking holes at prosecution cases. You can't act like they are objective here.

Again , you make the mistake of assuming I have any dog in this fight. I'm just pointing out what others are saying. But if it bothers you what a couple of " op eds " say, then I do apologize.

I simply presented, without commentary, the indictments. You immediately jumped in with "rush to prosecute" stuff and doggedly hold on to the notion that the case is a mess and post op-eds comparing it to the Zimmerman and Duke Lacrosse cases. But yeah, "no dog in this fight." Gotcha.

Was the Duke Lacrosse team wrongly accused ?

Were the charges for GZ excessive & shown to be unsupported ?

Woof.

Yes. But the pertinent facts of each case matter and these are very different situations. The existence of false accusations in completely different cases does not make the comparison more credible anymore than me pointing out thousands of cases where accusations were 100% true mean that this or any future case must have guilty defendants.

Were the charges for EZ excessive & shown to be unsupported ?

That GZ killed the only other eyewitness has way more to do with him getting off scot-free than actually being innocent. And again, the facts aren't really analogous to this situation.

Woof.

In other words, you do have a dog in this fight and are hardly impartial or considering both sides.

Woof = I'm mocking you getting all defensive in me just asking questions.

Woof.

sometimes it's ok to overcharge. No way they will convict more than a dozen or so of those 170 bikers for organized crime. They are holding them on 1 million $ bonds each probably to sort out what actually can be prosecuted and let tempers cool.Other than being present and wearing vests I doubt they have much evidence on many of them. I am all for it but in reality it is overreach. I just have no tolerance for criminals so I don't mind. And I don't give a damn what race you are.

You didn't "ask questions", you made definitive statements. First with snide remarks about the knife, then the "egg on the face" comments, then the accusation of rushing to bring charges and having a sloppy and weak case. Don't act like you're just objectively playing devil's advocate. None of us are that dumb.

Woof.

sometimes it's ok to overcharge. No way they will convict more than a dozen or so of those 170 bikers for organized crime. They are holding them on 1 million $ bonds each probably to sort out what actually can be prosecuted and let tempers cool.Other than being present and wearing vests I doubt they have much evidence on many of them. I am all for it but in reality it is overreach. I just have no tolerance for criminals so I don't mind. And I don't give a damn what race you are.

There are some who feel that one way the prosecution screwed up the Zimmerman case was that they initially only went for the 2nd degree murder charge. It wasn't until the case went to the jury that they asked to include manslaughter. That could have sent the jury the message that the prosecution didn't fully believe in their case. But had they had that charge in there they whole time and tailored some of their questions to witness with that in mind, it could have been different.

You didn't "ask questions", you made definitive statements. First with snide remarks about the knife, then the "egg on the face" comments, then the accusation of rushing to bring charges and having a sloppy and weak case. Don't act like you're just objectively playing devil's advocate. None of us are that dumb.

It's amazing how he really think we are.

Man, this is tedious... I asked questions, I state what OTHERS said, to distinguish that those weren't MY thoughts or views exclusively ...

Man, this is tedious... I asked questions, I state what OTHERS said, to distinguish that those weren't MY thought or views exclusively ...

You didn't start distinguishing your statements from those of others until your 3rd or 4th post in the thread.

Man, this is tedious... I asked questions, I state what OTHERS said, to distinguish that those weren't MY thought or views exclusively ...

You didn't start distinguishing your statements from those of others until your 3rd or 4th post in the thread.

I didn't know thems the rules.

They aren't - unless you're going to try and play the doe-eyed innocent "I'm just asking questions/stating what others said" card. Then it's gonna get pointed out.

But Raptor made a pretty good point comparing the Gray case to the Duke Lacrosse case. There are so many parallels.

For example, what if Gray is just making it all up and he's not really dead? :rolleyes:

He only talks about the past when it's relevant

Bout damn time you got w/ the program.

They aren't - unless you're going to try and play the doe-eyed innocent "I'm just asking questions/stating what others said" card. Then it's gonna get pointed out.

Well, if I do have a dog in the fight, I've always been of the opinion that cops take a guy into custody and he dies, they've got some splainin' to do. But yeah, I can play the doe-eyed innocent. I wasn't there, so I have to ask questions / state what others said. It's how I form opinions.

Archived