Women's World Cup

AUbritt

I can't help but think we may need to dust off the ole 4-3-3 ...

Knowing how well Brian did, I still can't imagine not putting Holiday on the field. Same with Rapinoe vs O'hara.

Keep the same back 4. Put Brian as a Holding mid and let Lloyd and Holliday do what they want to do the most which is attack (and Lloyd did well against China). Rapinoe, Morgan and ARod as your front line. Arod can provide the same hold up play that Wambach can but way way more energy. I think it is forgone that Wambach is now officially a supersub. ARod was so dynamic up front and Johnston and Lloyd are both very good in the air - although noone is in Wambachs class.

Ohara is odd man out here, but you have to start Rapinoe. If things get weird mid-game then you can revert to a 4-4-2 with Lloyd or Brian out wide (although neither did great wide pre Cup)

Hate it for some of the other quality players but Heath may get some time pending in-game needs. I think O'Reilly, Rampone, Boxx, Leroux and maybe even Press have seen their last minutes in this world cup.

All this sounds right to me.

Did you hear the Germany coach's comments about the US? She claims we are "so sure" of ourselves and "naturally loud."

I say, USA! USA! USA!

Watching US game now. Does Germany really have a player named 'Sausage'? I swear that's what it sounds like the play by play guy is saying. LOL.

We should have this in the bag. This was probably the de facto final.

Hey! Did I call the 4-3-3 or what! just missed Heath vs arod ... Subbing Ohara was a good call. Fresh legs could make that run for the score

4-2-3-1 with Alex Morgan alone up top. Great move tactically.

Hey! Did I call the 4-3-3 or what! just missed Heath vs arod ... Subbing Ohara was a good call. Fresh legs could make that run for the score

4-2-3-1 with Alex Morgan alone up top. Great move tactically.

I see that some sexist pig wrote that Alex Morgan was a good looking young woman....hope the guy is flogged for his insensitivity....but nothing wrong with his eyesight IMO

Wow. OG in the 92nd minute. What a horrible way to lose.

Bring on Japan.

Heartbreak for England.

Hope they beat Germany and we beat Japan!

'

Well, we are halfway there with it. Honestly, that Germany game is the best the USWNT has looked in a long time.

I'm feeling good about it. Japan controls the ball well (hell, expertly), but they're extremely vulnerable to counterattacks. The 4-2-3-1 should run rings around them if they can disrupt their triangle passing.

Can't wait! Upgrading my DISH to the next tier to watch all the WWC games was the best 10 bucks I've ever spent.

I feel bad for the Japanese folks that made the trip. Yowza. That 49 yarder was one for the ages.

Japan pulled one back.

The US ladies first 13 minutes or so was a complete thing of beauty. They owned it.

Agree...yesterday we finally got what we were looking for in those other game when the US team just barely scraped by against some lesser teams.

The US vs Germany was the best US game of the series IMO....well played by both sides and perhaps the last 15 minutes or so of the Germany match was an indicator of what the US team was capable of...and what it showed yesterday.

5-2. We gave up 2 goals the ENTIRE tournament (discounting we headed one in our own net yesterday). Played better even than our win over Germany but I have a dozen Mia Hamm era games to show those thinking the Germany game was the US womens national team's best ever game. I wish Abby had scored to tie that Brazilian fraud Marta for most ever Womens WC goals but we have loads of young talent on this roster...same story since 1986. Teams to beat IMO will be Australia, New Zealand, China and yep, Germany in 4 years. I'm not buying into England or France yet, too much administrative drama in their associations.

fwiw, this was not a 100 yard football field, the soccer field at this level is 120 yard long field. Lloyd's goal was kicked from 59 (fifty-nine) yards out. Even without the keeper getting a finger on it that kick doesn't touch the ground for 55 yards. Coach Ellis deserves credit for sticking with Lloyd after she had 3 dreadful group stage games. Abby missing that pk against the Colombian thugs was a blessing in disguise, Lloyd started taking the pk's and the rest is history.

Marta may have the wwc scoring title ... Wambach has the all time scoring record, 2 Olympic golds and ... Oh yea ... The World Cup trophy!

Happy for these women. Was a lot of fun watching these guys play like a team. That first 16 minutes was unbelievable. Gotta hand it to Japan, they never quit. That took guts and also made the game enjoyable to the end.

I guess the same saying goes in soccer also ... Defense wins championships. How many top 10 teams did we play? All but Nigeria? Maybe not Columbia?

What a fun tournament. Got to watch with my daughter, also. These women are great role models for teenagers.

Marta may have the wwc scoring title ... Wambach has the all time scoring record, 2 Olympic golds and ... Oh yea ... The World Cup trophy!

Happy for these women. Was a lot of fun watching these guys play like a team. That first 16 minutes was unbelievable. Gotta hand it to Japan, they never quit. That took guts and also made the game enjoyable to the end.

I guess the same saying goes in soccer also ... Defense wins championships. How many top 10 teams did we play? All but Nigeria? Maybe not Columbia?

What a fun tournament. Got to watch with my daughter, also. These women are great role models for teenagers.

Completely agree. I watched the whole tournament and was pleased with the U.S. Getting better and better. Lloyd was the Worlds best women player by the end of the last match. She did everything at an extremely high level. Love Rampone and our defense too.

Mustache, sounds like you know your soccer pretty well.

Archived