I'm confused and getting kind of nervous

AURex

The gloom and doom of this thread is f-ing ridiculous. I'm willing to bet we sign 3+ composite 5 stars and finish in the top 6 composite. This time last year Prince Tega wasn't on our radar. This time in February Blake Countess was a wolverine. Put things in perspective and enjoy the ride to February. No sunshine pumping here but there's no reason to believe we will be not end up with a top 10 class.

Overall I expect a top 10 class, but the DL recruiting is still a concern....

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall I expect a top 10 class, but the DT recruiting is still a concern....

FIFY. Becomes DL if we miss on Davidson and Tony Clayton.

Overall I expect a top 10 class, but the DT recruiting is still a concern....

FIFY. Becomes DL if we miss on Davidson and Tony Clayton.

Until and unless Davidson and Clayton choose Auburn, someone's concern with our DL class doesn't need "fixing". Last March many were saying "Don't worry about DL, there are soooo many of them in the 2016 class. How's that working out for us? We've recently got a few that did very well in AU camps and that's good but we're not pulling in the guys that were thought to be Hot Stuff. We're not pulling in the guys, DT or DE, that were the reason there was so much optimism back in March.

So UGA has two DL verbals, a 5 and a 4 star. We also have two, both 3's.

I simply don't drink the kool aid that the big fish all commit late! Everybody talks about building relationships with the recruits. Our entire D staff has been recruiting the SEC for years.

As for Coach Tub signing a lot of unknowns, I seem to remember he had the meat of his class committed early and back filled with some diamonds in the rough on signing day.

Yes I trust the coaches but I too am concerned.

I will be too if we add Michael Boykin today as is being predicted. With that said I will reserve my final opinion til the final player rankings and evals are done in January.

It certainly appears that GA and Bammer are kicking our butts with the DL recruits the past few years. I thought Rodney was going to turn that around? Maybe we need Rocker back instead?

It certainly appears that GA and Bammer are kicking our butts with the DL recruits the past few years. I thought Rodney was going to turn that around? Maybe we need Rocker back instead?

Rocker is not an option. He is staying in Athens til his kids leave the nest.

I will be too if we add Michael Boykin today as is being predicted. With that said I will reserve my final opinion til the final player rankings and evals are done in January.

Understand there is a huge difference between concern and judgement.

Judgement will be based on the on-the-field play and the final tally the Feb.

Concern is based on a pattern of events.

From my vantage point, the pattern of events are less than what I was expecting from this staff. IMHO the two young men who have committed will in time contribute, but we are in despert need of inpact players.

Judgement will come as we watch (or watch for) impact players.

On my phone ... Did a search and could not find a Boykin thread?

There wasn't 1. News on him with AU did not start circulating til yesterday.

On my phone ... Did a search and could not find a Boykin thread?

There wasn't 1. News on him with AU did not start circulating til yesterday.

Hey E. Will a thread for Boykin be started soon with his profile?

I am going to go out on a limb here and simply trust the coaches.

Would I like to have all 5 and 4 stars? Yes of course.

Do I know what the coaches know about overall talent and potential? In a word "NO". I am willing to wager, not many (if any) on this site do either.

We all know Muschamp has been a successful Defensive coach every where he has been. If he and his staff see something special here, I am going t trust them.

If these guys want to be AU Tigers and the staff feels good about them, I will trust them. If we do not see translation on the field, then we can worry.

Let's wait and see what these recruits do in the upcoming HS season. I feel confident that Newkirk is going to be bumped to 4 star this season. I do not know anything about Manning, except AU offered and he accepted. Good enough for me.

It is still early and we are going to get our share for a quality class.

Finally WAR EAGLE!

I am going to go out on a limb here and simply trust the coaches.

Would I like to have all 5 and 4 stars? Yes of course.

Do I know what the coaches know about overall talent and potential? In a word "NO". I am willing to wager, not many (if any) on this site do either.

We all know Muschamp has been a successful Defensive coach every where he has been. If he and his staff see something special here, I am going t trust them.

If these guys want to be AU Tigers and the staff feels good about them, I will trust them. If we do not see translation on the field, then we can worry.

Let's wait and see what these recruits do in the upcoming HS season. I feel confident that Newkirk is going to be bumped to 4 star this season. I do not know anything about Manning, except AU offered and he accepted. Good enough for me.

It is still early and we are going to get our share for a quality class.

Finally WAR EAGLE!

Excellent post...I mean stop star gazing..over 99% of this board have never seen these kids play. Some 5 stars have reached their ceiling because they are told they are that good, some 3 stars continue to grind and become great rotation players and in many cases ALLSEC players....I think I am gonna side with the coaches and onfield performance vs a nervous poster.

Quote: ".I think I am gonna side with the coaches and onfield performance vs a nervous poster"

Well and good, but you pick a team of all 3* players, let me pick my team of all 5* players, kick it off and who do you think wins the game 95% of the time? I will. If we swap teams you'll win.

Quote: ".I think I am gonna side with the coaches and onfield performance vs a nervous poster"

Well and good, but you pick a team of all 3* players, let me pick my team of all 5* players, kick it off and who do you think wins the game 95% of the time? I will. If we swap teams you'll win.

How many 5* and 4* talent do we have right now? How many top 10 recruiting classes have we filed ed the past 4, 5 years? Hogwash with all these 5 star this and that. Coaching has as much to do with winning, if not more, than talent alone. How can you go winless in your conference with multiple 4* & 5* on the field? TCU, how many highly ranked players do they have, k State? I'm just saying that high ranking recruits doesn't necessarily lead to fielding great teams. Are they good to have, of course if they fit into yous scheme. I'd venture out on a limb and say that our coaches know way more about X's and O's and who it takes to make this team better than 99.9% of the people on this message forum. I apologize if I rubbed someone wrong but I get tired of seeing "fans" (short for fanatics) mouthing off as if they could do better or know what really is happening. I do indeed trust our well compensated coaching staff. War Eagle

I did not know Auburn had a team full of 3 star players but what do I know, I am no insider or message board position coach or recruiting expert either.....3 star recruits have often played well above their star rating..my point let the kids lace them up and the coaches coach them up before writing things off...

A 3* DT and a 3* DE decommit. Then a 3* DT and a 3* DE commit. Why all the angst ? The 3*s are usually the ones that commit early and the 5*s late.

First question, since when does Auburn have a roster consisting of only 3 * only players?

Answer 1: That is certainly not true now with our current roster.

Answer 2: This will not be true for the 2016 recruiting cycle.

I am willing to wager that at least three current 3 stars will not be 3 stars by the end of the year. That includes one of the ones who recently committed to us "under the radar"!

Second question, do these three stars contribute and wind up being much better than their star ratings indicated?

Answer 1: Ask the ones playing in the NFL.

Answer 2: Ask Muschamp and company if they can spot talent when they see it.

Summation:

Guess I need to take off my orange and blue glasses. Perhaps I am just too blinded or dense to see it, but I do not understand why we need to sound the "chicken little" alarm in June 2015. It's not like it is February 2016.

We still have a season of football to play. Just as in 2013, if we are as successful as many believe, that is going to change a lot of current recruits attitudes and mindsets. Recruiting is going to turn and change quite a bit between now and February 2016.

A 3* DT and a 3* DE decommit. Then a 3* DT and a 3* DE commit. Why all the angst ? The 3*s are usually the ones that commit early and the 5*s late.

Our biggest competitors have been getting 4 and 5* while we counter with 3*. I'm not saying 3* guys are garbage but I do understand why some are starting to get antsy.

Too many here look at recruiting in the "Auburn Vacuum". You've got to look at what those around us are doing.

Our biggest competitors have been getting 4 and 5* while we counter with 3*. I'm not saying 3* guys are garbage but I do understand why some are starting to get antsy.

Too many here look at recruiting in the "Auburn Vacuum". You've got to look at what those around us are doing.

I understand why, but do not understand why our AU faithful do not look a recent history. We always close strong.

I understand why, but do not understand why our AU faithful do not look a recent history. We always close strong.

No, not always. But it is early. These kids have yet to play their senior seasons. These 3 stars have minimal camp and film exposure for the rating services. All are higher profile now that they have committed to us. Assuming Boykin commits, I think 2 of these 3 will be composite 4 stars. So...BFD. Relax. It's not as if they will be in our class in the fall if we are near full with a surge of 5 stars ready to join. We would make room.

I couldn't agree more. Arkansas is a prime example of a team that usually can't even be found in the recruiting rankings but consistently puts a competitive team on the field. We have way more talent than the Hogs this year on paper but defeating them in Fayetteville is not going to be easy. Plus look at all of the NFL rosters littered with low star ranked guys. It's as much about coaching, development and scheme as it is about star rankings.

Until proven otherwise this defensive staff deserves our trust and support. Muschamp has barely been on board six months for heaven's sake and hasn't even coached in a single game (no the bowl game doesn't count).

We need to play Auburn football this fall, and more importantly show something on the field resembling traditional Auburn defense. If this happens and Lawson, Adams and Cowart are creating havoc for opposing offenses the DL recruiting picture will change dramatically in our favor.

It's June. Chill out and enjoy the upcoming season which has the potential to be special. Come next February I believe we'll sign a class of kids, including on the DL, that will be special and enable our program to compete for SEC titles and perhaps even national championships.

WDE,

Jim

How many 5* and 4* talent do we have right now? How many top 10 recruiting classes have we filed ed the past 4, 5 years? Hogwash with all these 5 star this and that. Coaching has as much to do with winning, if not more, than talent alone. How can you go winless in your conference with multiple 4* & 5* on the field? TCU, how many highly ranked players do they have, k State? I'm just saying that high ranking recruits doesn't necessarily lead to fielding great teams. Are they good to have, of course if they fit into yous scheme. I'd venture out on a limb and say that our coaches know way more about X's and O's and who it takes to make this team better than 99.9% of the people on this message forum. I apologize if I rubbed someone wrong but I get tired of seeing "fans" (short for fanatics) mouthing off as if they could do better or know what really is happening. I do indeed trust our well compensated coaching staff. War Eagle

No, not always.

When have we not closed strong in the past 5 years?

We usually add one or two five stars and a couple of 4 stars to close out in the final weeks.

Agree with the rest.

Archived