Was in Columbia, SC when CF went down...

DKW 86

I dont know how it looked on the news, but in SC, (Columbia when it happened & Orangeburg just afterwards) the feeling was just about all "Thank God it is down."

Whites were calmly pretty happy. Most of the blacks were modestly just short of rejoicing. Everybody was praising Nikki Haley. Those that i talked with were very very happy that a black mark on the state, one placed there by Democrat Legislature back in 1961 or 62 was now gone.

Other than an organized bunch of crazy old white men portraying themselves as some kind of Christians in these ridiculous older trucks with handbuilt camper shells and the worst bible theology you could ever see in print were publicly stating that removing the CF, and PBO, were absolute proof we were in the end times.

They were laughably pathetic, organized and on almost every street corner including a few INSIDE the police safe zone. I did not see what group they claimed to be attached to. Too many people and we were taking a tour of the campus.

On vacation. Ethan wanted to check out prospective campi. UGA, USC, etc.

Were you in SC then? What did you see/feel?

As a native Carolinian I am very happy it is down. South Carolina disgraced the flag once again (just like the KKK has) by raising it in the first place. We all know why it was raised and I'm glad it came down.

As a native Carolinian I am very happy it is down. South Carolina disgraced the flag once again (just like the KKK has) by raising it in the first place. We all know why it was raised and I'm glad it came down.

Gee emt, you sound like part of the "herd". ;D

By now you should know I don't do well with "herds".... :)

I'm a Tiger!

By now you should know I don't do well with "herds".... :)

I'm a Tiger!

That's good! ;);D

this is what matters!

It should have never been put up by democratic legislators in the first place...

It should have never been put up by democratic legislators in the first place...

+1000.

It was a racist statement back in the early sixties made by a Democratically Controlled State Legislature...of course no one here will admit that.

All those stories about the South being run by Yellow Dog Democrats for many decades are just myths...or so the unread, anti-history folks will say.

+1000.

It was a racist statement back in the early sixties made by a Democratically Controlled State Legislature...of course no one here will admit that.

All those stories about the South being run by Yellow Dog Democrats for many decades are just myths...or so the unread, anti-history folks will say.

Fritz Hollings was the democrat govenor who allowed it up there. he later became the democrat senator and served over 38 years there. old fritz is still alive at the age of 93. he made a series of racial comments over the years that would have doomed a republican poltitican.

+1000.

i have no problem admitting that. Wallace did it just before he made his famous stance in turdtown

turdtown. He changed as did both parties. Things are different now. The problem i see the most is people not acknowledging when and why the flag went up. It is there as you stated plain as day and people still dont understand the emotions it stirs.

+1000.

i have no problem admitting that. Wallace did it just before he made his famous stance in turdtown

turdtown. He changed as did both parties. Things are different now. The problem i see the most is people not acknowledging when and why the flag went up. It is there as you stated plain as day and people still dont understand the emotions it stirs.

True. But they had the backing of the majority of the people or they wouldn't have done it.

True. But they had the backing of the majority of the people or they wouldn't have done it.

So, majority rules? Really?

+1000.

"Of course".... :-\ :no:

Gee emt, you sound like part of the "herd". ;D/>

Guess I'm part of this herd as well then since I have always agreed with the flag coming down.

To me it really don't matter. I understand how it could make some feel but reality is regardless it doesn't really do anything but make it a little easier to hide

+1000.

"Of course".... :-\ :no:

and...

game-over-thanks-for-playing.png

Archived