I stand with Chette!!

Ber798297

These people are not out to protect these young men. They are trying to push their views on everyone else. If someone does not want to pray, they do not have to. You see it all the time. Part of the team will gather to pray at midfield, while some others do not. These people need to but out and leave other alone.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unsurprisingly, I think many of you are missing the point. This group doesn't care if the players practice their religion, they're more concerned with the fact that an authority figure at a public university is leading these players in worship. Whether Chette is paid by the university or not, he's clearly supported by the university as well as the coaching staff. I think their concern is for the players who (probably very privately) might not share these beliefs and feel uncomfortable/ostracized.

Believe it or not, not everyone shares yalls beliefs, nor do they have to. I know this thread is all about high-fiving for Jesus but try...just try...to look at this from the perspective of someone who doesn't share your beliefs. I allow my players to pray every single time they step on the field/court but do I ,or anyone else in a position of authority, lead them? No way. Do I think that a pastor should be available to the athletes? Sure, but there should be a system of support available to players of all beliefs and nonbeliefs.

Flame on.

So much fail.

You really showed me.

You post that crap and then expect something better?

Weegs, that was not "crap" and you know it. It was a reasoned response that makes total sense.

What sentence would you pick out as "crap"?

I don't know, maybe where he contradicted himself by saying that no one in a position of authority should lead players, but that a pastor should be made available? And Chette isn't even in a position of authority.

He's right. None of the coaches should be leading prayers, at least as part of a team activity. But there is nothing wrong with making pastors (of any faith) or counselors available to members of the team.

And Chette, because of his unique and authorized position, most certainly is in a position of authority, even if by just association.

Having said that, I don't think Auburn is doing anything illegal or even wrong, but the potential is there to create a coercive atmosphere. I would like to think the coaching staff is too professional to allow their religious prejudices to cloud their decisions regarding individuals or the team, but considering the visibility of Chet and the exclusively Christian-oriented influence of the FCA in the program, it is not unreasonable for FFR to ask for information.

To me, it's more disturbing to see the reaction of some who are obviously too invested personally from a religious standpoint to see this objectively. This is not an "attack" on Christianity. :-\/>

+1 and amen to that last paragraph. It really is disturbing how unabashedly narrow-minded people can be.

+100

It all boils down to this:

Atheists want a "Christian" free world. How many other beliefs have they gone after? It's not that difficult to see their agenda.

We have a winner!

It all boils down to this:

Christians want an Every other religion/non-religion free world. How many other beliefs have they not gone after? It's not that difficult to see their agenda.

Wrong once again. Please keep going, you are on a roll! :laugh:/>

You're really not very good at this whole point/counterpoint thing are you? I picture you as a candidate during a debate offering up a lot of "nuh uh" and "try again". No logic. No valid points. Nothing of substance. It makes me laugh really hard.

I really don't get the bashing of each other. There are good people that are atheist and agnostic or whatever belief system one may have, as well as good christians. On the other side of the spectrum there are bad people of all belief systems to some degree. I myself am a christian, but as long as someone lives their life to the fullest and makes a positive impact on others, who am I to tell them they are doing it wrong? I stand behind chette because I think that even in a non spiritual sense he can offer these kids guidance. Thats all ill say on the matter and WDE.

Chimes,

You are forgetting the Atheist Inquisition, The Atheist Crusades and that time the atheist president invaded that Islamic country looking for WMDs.

what are those people scared of? I support bro. Chette anyone else who who spreads the good news of Jesus Christ to people who wants to listen.

I really don't get the bashing of each other. There a good people that are athiest and agnostic or whatever belief system one may have, as well as good christians. On the other side of the spectrum there are bad people of all belief systems to some degree. I myself am a christian, but as long as someone lives their life to the fullest and makes a positive impact on others, who am I to tell them they are doing it wrong? I stand behind chette because I think that even in a non spiritual sense he can offer these kids guidance. Thats all ill say on the matter and WDE.

+1

what are those people scared of? I support bro. Chette anyone else who who spreads the good news of Jesus Christ to people who wants to listen.

Dude, you are not helping your buddies' argument that it's the atheists who are spreading their agenda. Toe the party line.

Mods: This thread is going nowhere and really has nothing to do with AU football at this point. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone is going to change their views on religion, spirituality, separation of church and state, etc. based on this discussion. Any chance we can move this to "Politically Speaking" or something so that its not there to clutter up the AU Football forum any longer?

this terrorist group is probing until they find someone to cave then they will have a case

from al.com the list of universities foundation has sent chaplaincy letters to:

• Auburn University
  • University of Georgia
  • University of South Carolina
  • Mississippi State University
  • University of Alabama
  • University of Tennessee
  • Louisiana State University
  • University of Missouri
  • University of Washington
  • Georgia Institute of Technology
  • University of Illinois