I stand with Chette!!

Ber798297

Meanwhile, look who stopped by practice yesterday:

11917977_1039989186025753_408847017_n.jpg

That's Louie Giglio, founder of the Passion Conferences, a college student focused evangelical program. Louie is a big Auburn football fan and was on the sidelines for a few games last year.

Custom%20Image56.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unsurprisingly, I think many of you are missing the point. This group doesn't care if the players practice their religion, they're more concerned with the fact that an authority figure at a public university is leading these players in worship. Whether Chette is paid by the university or not, he's clearly supported by the university as well as the coaching staff. I think their concern is for the players who (probably very privately) might not share these beliefs and feel uncomfortable/ostracized.

Believe it or not, not everyone shares yalls beliefs, nor do they have to. I know this thread is all about high-fiving for Jesus but try...just try...to look at this from the perspective of someone who doesn't share your beliefs. I allow my players to pray every single time they step on the field/court but do I ,or anyone else in a position of authority, lead them? No way. Do I think that a pastor should be available to the athletes? Sure, but there should be a system of support available to players of all beliefs and nonbeliefs.

Flame on.

Chette's ministries are strictly voluntary and are not funded by AU in any way. This is a waste of time, resources and money; I hope the AU Administration tells them to jump in the lake.

Part of their argument is that he is given office space in the athletic complex, so yes, AU is subsidizing his ministry. I don't know, does FCA pay rent on the office? If so, that would undercut their arguments.

I believe there have been repeated unsuccessful attempts to get rid of military chaplains, who are in fact funded by the government. I am not a lawyer, but I would think this will have the same results.

Let an outside group fund Chette, and keep him available to all who are interested.

Non-issue. Chette works for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, not Auburn University. These idiots can bellow as loudly as they want, but they have no leg to stand on.

Let an outside group fund Chette, and keep him available to all who are interested.

That's what's happening already.

Yes, FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) is paying for Chett, not AU.

Tex, you have been on this site for years. How in the hell did you not know this?

Chette works for the FCA, not AU. His meetings are 100% voluntary and always have been.

How you did not know that is freakin beyond me. We have discussed that here and it has been discussed in the wild-assed NCAA violation charges years ago by the turds. Chette is not a part of Auburn in anyway and attendance cannot be made mandatory because there is no connection to be actuated.

David going out of his way to attack me over nothing. I didn't know or remember because it's a nonissue to me. You're pretty uptight so early in the morning. Relax.

tex, as usual i am just correcting you, not attacking. If you can read literally dozens, likely close to 100, of posts about this. If you can read al.com reports and links. If you can read where people have discussed and discussed and discussed ad nauseum (first article and thread was probably around 2003 or so) but somehow dont remember one word of it? Really? RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY???

I had already been "corrected" twice which didn't bother me at all. There are a number of issues I consider extraneous and invest little attention on. If you don't see you're being a jerk, ask your pastor-- or maybe Chette.

You two take it to PMs. Thanks.

Unsurprisingly, I think many of you are missing the point. This group doesn't care if the players practice their religion, they're more concerned with the fact that an authority figure at a public university is leading these players in worship. Whether Chette is paid by the university or not, he's clearly supported by the university as well as the coaching staff. I think their concern is for the players who (probably very privately) might not share these beliefs and feel uncomfortable/ostracized.

Believe it or not, not everyone shares yalls beliefs, nor do they have to. I know this thread is all about high-fiving for Jesus but try...just try...to look at this from the perspective of someone who doesn't share your beliefs. I allow my players to pray every single time they step on the field/court but do I ,or anyone else in a position of authority, lead them? No way. Do I think that a pastor should be available to the athletes? Sure, but there should be a system of support available to players of all beliefs and nonbeliefs.

Flame on.

So much fail.

I am all for Chette and the awesome ministry he is doing at AU! I love the fact that AU has a positive attitude about faith and family; and the importance these things carry for our coaches, players, and recruits. How many recruits mention the family and faith aspect and how it has attracted them to AU?(rhetorical) Never heard a recruit or player complain about this!! We need more faith in the arenas where young people are being taught how to be good citizens, and training to help make them a positive influence on the nation and world.

I hope that Auburn stands firm on this. Chette has been such a support for so many of our players. A lot of these kids don't have a father figure and he has been able to be there for them. I really don't know why these atheists are so bothered by people that have faith in God especially since they are halfway across the country. Hopefully, they can go harass someone else.

I would love to hear what current or past football players would have to say about this. Especially those who are not Christians.

Why would we want to take away a positive figure in these young men's lives?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Everyone always forgets about prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Also this is not Congress law of establishment of religion. This is a Govt University allowing an outside source access (chaplin, FCS) to the team (voluntary). Now if there is proof that the University has denied other religious outside sources the same access they might have something. Otherwise, I see no legal grounds. Need more Christian lawyers to fight this FFRF group and also to just fight for our free exercise of religion.

Non-issue. Chette works for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, not Auburn University. These idiots can bellow as loudly as they want, but they have no leg to stand on.

That's what's happening already.

Yes, FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) is paying for Chett, not AU.

Tex, you have been on this site for years. How in the hell did you not know this?

Chette works for the FCA, not AU. His meetings are 100% voluntary and always have been.

How you did not know that is freakin beyond me. We have discussed that here and it has been discussed in the wild-assed NCAA violation charges years ago by the turds. Chette is not a part of Auburn in anyway and attendance cannot be made mandatory because there is no connection to be actuated.

David going out of his way to attack me over nothing. I didn't know or remember because it's a nonissue to me. You're pretty uptight so early in the morning. Relax.

tex, as usual i am just correcting you, not attacking. If you can read literally dozens, likely close to 100, of posts about this. If you can read al.com reports and links. If you can read where people have discussed and discussed and discussed ad nauseum (first article and thread was probably around 2003 or so) but somehow dont remember one word of it? Really? RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY???

I had already been "corrected" twice which didn't bother me at all. There are a number of issues I consider extraneous and invest little attention on. If you don't see you're being a jerk, ask your pastor-- or maybe Chette.

You two take it to PMs. Thanks.

It was over until you bumped it almost three hours later.

Flame on.

So much fail.

You really showed me.

Flame on.

We know everyone is not Christian, otherwise there wouldn't be a need to share our faith or for Chette to be there.

It does matter if he is paid by the University.

There is no law (and should never be a law) that requires if one religion is represented then all religions must be represented, otherwise none shall be represented.

Also the players don't have to participate and I am sure Chette (or Coaches) doesn't pressure players or make them feel uncomfortable.

There aren't any laws about making someone uncomfortable or being offended.

Flame on >:D:devil::angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire::P :P :P

Flame on.

We know everyone is not Christian, otherwise there wouldn't be a need to share our faith or for Chette to be there.

It's so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that many of you really do think this way.

If a bunch of former players come out and say that at their time at AU they felt pressured to participate in bible studies with Chette even though they themselves were not Christians and they also felt it would affect their playing time then I think AU would have to look more closely at this. Arian Foster who let everyone know recently he is an atheist said he felt he was required to attend church services with coach Fulmer at UT and I do think that crosses a line.

Considering we have not heard a player come out and express concerns at AU I doubt this will gain much traction. I am a believer in Jesus Christ and I am glad that Chette is available to the players, at the same time if there were a muslim student I would hope AU made clergy available to them and any other religion and I guess a counselor of some sort for atheist students.

Flame on.

So much fail.

You really showed me.

You post that crap and then expect something better?

Flame on.

So much fail.

You really showed me.

There should be some kind of rule for telling people they're wrong without explaining why.

It all boils down to this:

Atheists want a "Christian" free world. How many other beliefs have they gone after? It's not that difficult to see their agenda.

It's so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that many of you really do think this way.

Think in what way?

Give us a damn break...even God wants yall to shut the hell up...

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Flame on.

So much fail.

You really showed me.

Weegs, that was not "crap" and you know it. It was a reasoned response that makes total sense.

What sentence would you pick out as "crap"?

Atheists want a "Christian" free world. How many other beliefs have they gone after? It's not that difficult to see their agenda.

Yep

I love it when the persecution complex freak flag is raised!

Asking for an equitable system is not anti-Christian. And no one has challenged anyone's beliefs.

You are obviously too invested to look at this objectively.

What are you talking about? I could care less what you choose to do on your free time. I literally just now responded to a post about Chette needing to be around to convert non-Christians to Christianity.

Asking for an equitable system is not anti-Christian. And no one has challenged anyone's beliefs.

You are obviously too invested to look at this objectively.

Well said.

Archived