I stand with Chette!!

Ber798297

I don't have the right mentality at the moment to read the article. Anyone want to give a synopsis or copy some excerpts?

I didn't even bother reading it. I was told about it so i didn't even bother to read b/c I don't want to have any further unchristian thoughts of four letter words i'd like to say than i am already having. People have a right to believe whatever they wish and worship however they wish to. What really pisses me off is why are they butting into OUR Auburn family business. What gives you the fricking right to tell Auburn what to do. Players are not being forced to pray or be mentored by Bro Chette.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non-issue. Chette works for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, not Auburn University. These idiots can bellow as loudly as they want, but they have no leg to stand on.

I stand with Chette and glad MY university allows this non-employed person be available and a help to those who volunteer to attend his program.

Like others have said, I just don't understand those who don't believe in God being so worried about those of us who do.

War Eagle, Bro Chette

I was raised Jewish and growing up would have been uncomfortable when I was younger. As I have grown, I've found we gain more of an appreciation for other faiths and those who are educated in them. In adulthood I see the benefit of faith, any faith, in building a man / woman. Bottom line, people need faith that a higher power, no matter what that is, believes in them. If that is what Chette brings, and I believe it is, he is serving a good purpose with the team and steering our players on the path of what's right, even though it is based on a religion I do not believe in. If participation was mandatory, I would have a major problem with it, but I don't believe it is. I wouldn't hesitate to send my son to play for AU if given the chance, and although our religions are different, I believe I would appreciate Chette there to help guide my son if need be. My kid will know what his faith is, change it if he feels the need, respect other faiths, and express appreciation to those that help him.

Bottom line, the token Jew doesn't see a major problem here..... War Damn.

I was raised Jewish and growing up would have been uncomfortable when I was younger. As I have grown, I've found we gain more of an appreciation for other faiths and those who are educated in them. In adulthood I see the benefit of faith, any faith, in building a man / woman. Bottom line, people need faith that a higher power, no matter what that is, believes in them. If that is what Chette brings, and I believe it is, he is serving a good purpose with the team and steering our players on the path of what's right, even though it is based on a religion I do not believe in. If participation was mandatory, I would have a major problem with it, but I don't believe it is. I wouldn't hesitate to send my son to play for AU if given the chance, and although our religions are different, I believe I would appreciate Chette there to help guide my son if need be. My kid will know what his faith is, change it if he feels the need, respect other faiths, and express appreciation to those that help him.

Bottom line, the token Jew doesn't see a major problem here..... War Damn.

Yeah, if my kid was forced to go to a prayer meeting that's one thing..he's funded through an outside organization and its voluntary. He provides a positive influence on those young men more than anything. I'm all for separation of church and state but this is a stretch by these pot stirrers.

I do agree that nobody should be forced to be a part of religious practices, but I'm sure that Bro Chette is just there for anyone that needs him. When I was in the Navy, we had a command chaplain, and though he was Christian by faith, he made himself available to anyone who needed spiritual guidance. Having someone who is that keyed in on faith is great, no matter what your faith is.

Let an outside group fund Chette, and keep him available to all who are interested.

That's what's happening already.

Yes, FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) is paying for Chett, not AU.

As long as the players and people inside the athletic department aren't forced or pressured into doing Christian-based activities or worship sessions I don't see him being in the athletic dept as a problem.

Does his presence hurt us in recruiting non-Christain kids though? Who knows.

Let an outside group fund Chette, and keep him available to all who are interested.

Non-issue. Chette works for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, not Auburn University. These idiots can bellow as loudly as they want, but they have no leg to stand on.

Tex, you have been on this site for years. How in the hell did you not know this?

Chette works for the FCA, not AU. His meetings are 100% voluntary and always have been.

How you did not know that is freakin beyond me. We have discussed that here and it has been discussed in the wild-assed NCAA violation charges years ago by the turds. Chette is not a part of Auburn in anyway and attendance cannot be made mandatory because there is no connection to be actuated.

Tex, you have been on this site for years. How in the hell did you not know this?

Chette works for the FCA, not AU. His meetings are 100% voluntary and always have been.

How you did not know that is freakin beyond me. We have discussed that here and it has been discussed in the wild-assed NCAA violation charges years ago by the turds. Chette is not a part of Auburn in anyway and attendance cannot be made mandatory because there is no connection to be actuated.

David going out of his way to attack me over nothing. I didn't know or remember because it's a nonissue to me. You're pretty uptight so early in the morning. Relax.

The work-around has always been that Chette is not employed by the university or the athletic dept and participation in his program is completely voluntary.

It always seems strange to me that some people who believe God to be false find themselves so concerned that others would believe otherwise. Why wouldn't they just pity us for our beliefs or shake their super smart liberal heads in disgust. What purpose does attacking it serve?

Now if a player was actively unable to express his beliefs then that's another thing...

This is where common sense and religious liberty should trump this nutty lawyer-Ruffic liberalism that is destroying our country.

That is not the argument here though. The organization is called The Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), and their goal is to have complete separation of church and state (as is set forth through the First Amendment). Their argument in demanding Chette be removed is that even though he is not directly employed by the university, he still clearly works for them. He is given access that a normal volunteer wouldn't be given, simply because he is a Chaplain, and they argue that the preferential treatment he receives solely based on his religious choice is unconstitutional because Auburn is a public university. To an extent, I think their argument is well founded, though I don't agree with it. From what I have seen and experienced, Chette (or any chaplain for that matter) does not serve to force their beliefs on the players, but rather be a resource for the players and a religious advocate.

They also go into some speculation about players feeling that they have to "Pray to Play", but honestly I think that hurts their argument more than it helps it. Legally, I can understand their concern about the constitutionality of Chette's position (even if I don't agree with it), but the coaching staff's job relies very heavily on winning football games, and I can't imagine that they wouldn't put the best players on the field simply because they had a different religious belief. It's plausible, but definitely not probable.

Lolol if a coach plays a scrub because of his religious views rather than playing a player who maximizes their chances of winning he should be fired anyway.

What if that's what Les Miles was doing with Jordan Jefferson? LOL kidding

David going out of his way to attack me over nothing. I didn't know or remember because it's a nonissue to me. You're pretty uptight so early in the morning. Relax.

tex, as usual i am just correcting you, not attacking. If you can read literally dozens, likely close to 100, of posts about this. If you can read al.com reports and links. If you can read where people have discussed and discussed and discussed ad nauseum (first article and thread was probably around 2003 or so) but somehow dont remember one word of it? Really? RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY???

Meanwhile, look who stopped by practice yesterday:

11917977_1039989186025753_408847017_n.jpg

That's Louie Giglio, founder of the Passion Conferences, a college student focused evangelical program. Louie is a big Auburn football fan and was on the sidelines for a few games last year.

tex, as usual i am just correcting you, not attacking. If you can read literally dozens, likely close to 100, of posts about this. If you can read al.com reports and links. If you can read where people have discussed and discussed and discussed ad nauseum (first article and thread was probably around 2003 or so) but somehow dont remember one word of it? Really? RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY???

I had already been "corrected" twice which didn't bother me at all. There are a number of issues I consider extraneous and invest little attention on. If you don't see you're being a jerk, ask your pastor-- or maybe Chette.

The reductio ad absurdum argument here is to BAN COLLEGE & PRO FOOTBALL. Is there a more religious experience in America? If they only had the conviction to take that stance...

I had already been "corrected" twice which didn't bother me at all. There are a number of issues I consider extraneous and invest little attention on. If you don't see you're being a jerk, ask your pastor-- or maybe Chette.

touchy touchy...you have a nice day and continue reading things you wont remember ok? :big:

Dont worry Tex I didn't remember that Chette was only employed by a third party institution until I read this article. Ignore DKW. I will be surprised if he hasn't strangled anybody yet for not remembering our third string WB from five years ago

Chette's ministries are strictly voluntary and are not funded by AU in any way. This is a waste of time, resources and money; I hope the AU Administration tells them to jump in the lake.

I dont care what your beliefs are, he's not hurting anything. The world is a filled with pansies who are always trying to change something. Leave it the hell alone and grow a pair.

Archived