***Auburn 27 Jacksonville State 20 (OT) Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

Well, we're 2-0. Our defense is way better and will likely improve. Our offensive needs work, but has potential. Our receivers are talented but have been poorly utilized. Our kicking game has been very good (huge). Did I mention we are 2-0?

Our outstanding problem is QB play. God knows what is going on with team karma issues (hopefully God and Gus) but everyone recognizes the problem. Jeremy has provided flashes of his capabilities, but all these interceptions aren't earned. They're gifts.

Knowing Jason's abilities and experience, IMO, this problem can only be derived from two sources: Mental and/or coaching.

If Jason hasn't been coached to "see" coverage before he throws, then someone hasn't done their job. On the other hand, if it's mental, then he needs come "mind" coaching.

Do we have a team therapist/psychologist? The mental aspect of sports - especially for a position like QB - is just as important as the physical skills. Anyone who has played sports competitively already understand that.

I think you mean Jeremy, not Jason, but I agree with your post.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we're 2-0. Our defense is way better and will likely improve. Our offensive needs work, but has potential. Our receivers are talented but have been poorly utilized. Our kicking game has been very good (huge). Did I mention we are 2-0?

Our outstanding problem is QB play. God knows what is going on with team karma issues (hopefully God and Gus) but everyone recognizes the problem. Jeremy has provided flashes of his capabilities, but all these interceptions aren't earned. They're gifts.

Knowing Jason's abilities and experience, IMO, this problem can only be derived from two sources: Mental and/or coaching.

If Jason hasn't been coached to "see" coverage before he throws, then someone hasn't done their job. On the other hand, if it's mental, then he needs come "mind" coaching.

Do we have a team therapist/psychologist? The mental aspect of sports - especially for a position like QB - is just as important as the physical skills. Anyone who has played sports competitively already understand that.

I'm guessing homer was the victim of automistake.

Something going on here that we aren't seeing.

Duke fighting

Cowart tweeting

Burton quitting

Now Jovon going off

We may have too many undisciplined and/or unhappy campers. I am more worried about attitudes, chemistry, and leadership than anyone's abilities.

Sounds awfully like Chizik's squad.

Yeah, I get the feeling like something isn't right. No chemistry at all.

IMO it doesn't stop there.

Flip the calendar back to last season to the Whitehead situation where it eventually manifested itself on the field the team tanked. Very disturbing trend. At this point, it's very fair to question Malzahn's ability to retain control and keep his teams focused.

What would cause it to unravel this early? That is the strange feeling I get that has happened.

Honestly, if JJ has 2 fewer picks over the first two games, I don't think we're having this conversation.

And if a frog had wings...:)

Even the posibarner wants Jason Smith to be QB. We are fricked. Fire Garner

Even the posibarner wants Jason Smith to be QB. We are fricked. Fire Garner

LOL

Something going on here that we aren't seeing.

Duke fighting

Cowart tweeting

Burton quitting

Now Jovon going off

We may have too many undisciplined and/or unhappy campers. I am more worried about attitudes, chemistry, and leadership than anyone's abilities.

Sounds awfully like Chizik's squad.

Yeah, I get the feeling like something isn't right. No chemistry at all.

IMO it doesn't stop there.

Flip the calendar back to last season to the Whitehead situation where it eventually manifested itself on the field the team tanked. Very disturbing trend. At this point, it's very fair to question Malzahn's ability to retain control and keep his teams focused.

What would cause it to unravel this early? That is the strange feeling I get that has happened.

Honestly, if JJ has 2 fewer picks over the first two games, I don't think we're having this conversation.

And if a frog had wings... :)

Yeah, but my point was maybe a lot of the problems are specific to JJ, rather than to some sort of deeper 'Gus has lost the team' stuff. I'm not trying to lay everything on JJ. I'm just suggesting that we wouldn't be having conversations about firing Gus and stuff if JJ throws a couple fewer interceptions.

I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my two cents so here it is:

1.) Peyton's our RB. Unless Gus continues to be extremely stubborn, Peyton's the RB.

2.) JJ again played well in spurts, but makes some abysmal decisions when he doesn't.

3.) The short pass (I.e. The screen and curl.) work for us. The toss play out of the huddle does not.

Sometimes on 3rd and long, we can go to Duke and it works.

Sometimes, we can't.

We've got to stop making that just about our only play on 3rd and more than 6.

4.) Gus still worries me as a play caller. I think some of these plays that we see on certain situations are very very questionable. While I am not a football coach, sometimes it seems like common sense what to do and Gus tries to get cute.

5.) RUN THE BALL: for the love of everything that is good run the ball. Unless Gus has predetermined that he will make this a passing team (in which case my worries from #4 grow even more), we've got to go away from the pass. Barber is a good runner, and the jet sweep works for some good yardage a lot. No need to pass heavy. Run the ball, pound the line, do what you've done for 2 years and have accumulated more than 20 wins.

6.) Defense is not much good without Matthews and Lawson. Both of these guys are game changers and I hope we find out more tonight. If they can't go, we've got some major work to do for LSU.

7.) freshman corners good, but still freshmen. JSU ran the sideline fade 9 million times today and only once did one of our corners make a good play on the ball ( and really jones just basically distracted him and it hit the guy in the hands). This is something you're taught in ninth grade to get your head around and look for the ball when it's up.

8.) containment on running QBs again is or Achilles heal. Since we aren't cutting off outside lanes, Muschamp is bringing up a linebacker to cut it off which opens up the slant EASILY. I don't know how good Jsu is, but any coach that has that can play with it and give you fits all day. - if they bring him up, slant; if they drop him back, zone read.

9.) did anyone else see the picture of the eagle on the screen when their kicker was kicking towards the video board that was hysterical.

10.) the sky has not fallen yet. We're getting some rain, but they've got a week; we will see how LSU looks tonight against a suspect Miss. State team. This will be the first time we won't be going against a qb who is going to run the zone read over and over. Hopefully we'll have Lawson and Matthews back to help out our D. Hopefully, we'll have great success running the ball and won't have to pass very much. A win in Death Valley, for any qb, no matter how much they don't throw, will be big for confidence. We haven't run the zone read near as much as I thought, or at least Johnson hasn't kept it. And yes I know, he's not as fast as Marshall; but he's big and can pick up 3 if he just runs into the line. Think establishing the run is going to be a big staple in our offense. Maybe the guys woke up this week. This was not the best this team could play by any stretch of the imagination. If nothing else, the guys went through some adversity and delivered when they absolutely had to.

Long way to go, but I think we'll get there. We've got to find something that works. I think that something is keeping Lawson and Matthews healthy, as well as establishing the run. Let's wait and see on next week, hopefully we will have a 2013 turnaround midweek instead of mid game.

We should have a practice tonight

Yep.

Wrong. Our coaches should be forced by Jay Jacobs to do stadiums until they throw up, then told if they EVER leave a qb that bad in a game then they are all fired. The D I give a small break. We are better than last year if only slightly. That is all that can be expected there. The offensive play calling and decision making would make Scot Loeffler ashamed. The decision to pull Barber for Roc where he fumbled is one of the most asinine and disgusting decisions I've ever witnessed. Add to that JJ not pulled for even 1 play, the calling of the same 4 or 5 plays the whole first half and calling a squib kick with one of the best deep kickers in the country are all unforgiveable IMO. Our "HC" has his head WAY up his arse. I'm also beginning to believe that the D struggles are because Gus has his hands on the d. Running out of any other possible explanation.

I'll cool off and give 1 more chance next week, but if we look this bad again as far as decision making and looking we are trying to intentionally lose, then I can't vouch for my attitude for the rest of the season. I just pray to God we get better. If we don't, we will have a new coach next year, 2 years after a NC game again. Starting to see a pattern here.

I just spit my drink everywhere. Looking like we were intentionally trying to lose? Are you serious?

Boneheaded play calling is always a Malzahn characteristic.

I think people forget that Gus runs a system that consistently produces long-term results. This is one reason you see RBs in Gus's offenses consistently 'become stronger' as the game progresses. Gus is figuring out how best to use them based on each individual defense.

It is much like how a poker player will play some hands he knows he will probably lose in order to gain information about the other player's tendencies. Gus is playing the long game, and if you are caught up in judging each individual play at face value, you definitely will be frustrated with his play calling. But calling him boneheaded is just advertising your own ignorance.

We need to just run the football and that will open up the game. Hopefully....

You're gonna run Barber to death my friend. You have to keep in mind, Jovon isn't getting any carries, KJ is getting very few, and Roc is being told to run up the middle. We're gonna have to learn how to throw at some point. We don't have a real read option and our best running QB is playing receiver. Also keep in mind the OL can't run block period. We NEED to throw the ball, it's really no other option.

Well Toledo just beat Arky so we have company for laughing sticks of the SEC

Does this mean Bret no longer hates Gus and Auburn? :dunno:

I see some are in full meltdown mode. Just as well I didn't get to watch it. So many things to work on. Next week doesn't look promising but one never knows. Just too inconsistent.

Be glad you missed it brother!

You're gonna run Barber to death my friend. You have to keep in mind, Jovon isn't getting any carries, KJ is getting very few, and Roc is being told to run up the middle. We're gonna have to learn how to throw at some point. We don't have a real read option and our best running QB is playing receiver. Also keep in mind the OL can't run block period. We NEED to throw the ball, it's really no other option.

Agreed. We have to be balanced to even have a chance of success.

If Gus isn't going to run uptempo, he should consider rotating all his backs to give them all experience, keep them fresh and keep the defense honest. With a decent running attack, the pressure should be lessened for JJ.

I think Gus was counting on JJ's arm to be this team's most potent weapon. It certainly will not be his running...

Archived