Jason Smith at QB?

doug3020

My thought concerning our offense is you have to have a threat to run at QB. JJ may be fast enough to run the zone read, but he isn't quick enough. There's a significant difference b/w the two. He lacks shiftiness, but most 6'5" people do. Not his fault. Cam was/is a freak.

The only thing you have to realize is if you bench JJ, you have to be 100% that you the next guy gives a better chance to win. I think what would help JJ out is some passes on early downs. Also not having a Coates like guy is hurting the deep ball threat. Since it is obvoius that JJ will not be a dual threat type guy, having more jet sweep action type plays will help stretch the defenses we face out. I liked the 2 back set we were running with Kerryon and Peyton.

I think we'll see a package for him at some point.

^^This^^ I would hope Gus have been saving to use once we hit the SEC

Me too

I can see him being used in packages as others mention. If your OP is suggesting benching JJ in favor of Jason Smith, then that makes no sense. I know coaches are always popular targets, but I do not consider them morons. They moved him to WR for a reason, and nothing suggests he would be better used at QB.

Me too..hope a more diversified offense is on drawing board for next week. However, does not matter how diverse you are if you give the ball away. I am also prayerful that with Tray back (and hopefully Lawson) we pick it up on Defense.

The frustrating thing is to have Smith, Duke etc here and not be able to take advantage of their skills because we have nobody to get them the ball. Kyle Davis the WR from GA has here today and i can only wonder what was on his mind watching the game. This was supposed to be the year AU showed receivers they could come here and be utilized properly. If JJ keeps struggling do the coaches think White is ready or do they go with Smith and go to the zone read/option style? Despite Gus's insistence that JJ is the guy, does he stay with if he throws another ugly pick early in Baton Rouge?

Ha! In the "Auburn's 2015 first play from scrimmage" thread I thought it would be a snap to WR Jason Smith, playing QB. Not necessary when the 1st play is from the opponent's 30 yard line. Still, Gus historically toys with early season defeat rather than reveal his repoirtoire early. I bet there's a few QB packages for Jason in our arsenal.

Capt. Obvious here….it seems the teams that have a duel threat QB gives defenses fits….why did JJ have an easier time last year v. Ark in the first game is because they thought JJ would be a duel QB (like Nick), which means teams would bring an extra guy up which opened the secondary…because JJ isn't a duel QB, teams are putting an extra DB in which limits his effectiveness and our coaches….about just my thought….

I think we'll see a package for him at some point.

^^This^^ I would hope Gus have been saving to use once we hit the SEC

No we don't want to show too much to early......vaaaaannnnnillllaaa Gus.

The only thing you have to realize is if you bench JJ, you have to be 100% that you the next guy gives a better chance to win. I think what would help JJ out is some passes on early downs. Also not having a Coates like guy is hurting the deep ball threat. Since it is obvoius that JJ will not be a dual threat type guy, having more jet sweep action type plays will help stretch the defenses we face out. I liked the 2 back set we were running with Kerryon and Peyton.

Why do we have to be 100%?

The same way Kiehl was unable to be saved, I fear the same is for Jeremy. These are fundamental problems that aren't usually saved. Tunnel vision, repeated over and over, poor footwork, the like.

Its too early to know for sure. I know for a fact that Jeremy could run like crazy in high school, and he has/had a killer arm. He was an offensive weapon and I watched him with my own eyes. Something or someone has gotten in that kids head. He is not playing to his talent or ability right now.

He needs a big package. I've been saying this for the longest! Not at QB but he needs to be in the: wildcat, under center at times, QB keepers or throw it. He needs to be moved all around the field with JJ at QB. We don't need to put Smith in and take JJ out. There is a way to use them both on the field at the same time! We have to be creative and i think it starts with Jason Smith b/c he is a threat to throw and do other things.

Archived