White starting - CONFIRMED

Quietmaninthecorner

Until this announcement I was sure that Dakota Prescott would pick us apart running and passing. He's certainly better than the QBs we've faced so far and we all know how that went. Now I think we may have that spark needed to ignite offense and defense. We'll see.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where does everyone keep getting this 4.6 40? It has come up a lot all over the net, but in SW's interview (August) he said he doesn't even remember the last time he was timed in the 40 and has no idea what he runs.

i never believe any 40 times anyway.

I never believe height/weight either. Sean is listed at exactly 6' even and 200lbs so he's really 5'10 and 190. :) Doesn't matter to me, just funny how every year 40 times and height/weight are wrong and everyone knows and accepts it. Part of the culture I suppose.

Trent differ said today on ESPN radio that SW is immensely accurate and is like Drew Bree's but with a better arm. Compliments don't get any better than that.

Yeah, well... He's replacing a Heisman contender at QB, so we should probably all try to curb the enthusiasm and just hope for some solid play.

I know, he has big shoes to fill. Hope he lives up to the hype

I expect him to throw for 450 yards and five TDs Saturday. That's not too much to expect is it?

Not if you are using him on Xbox I guess. :)

Jason Smith taking QB reps REALLY interests me. May open the door for next year to have an actual QB battle of guys on THIS roster

Really? So you get your wish, Gus names SW the starter and this is all you can say? What a complete tool U R!!

I'm a tool for wanting the best QB possible? ?????

Funny how he himself spoke so highly of jeremy saying that he tries his best to learn from him and now he has his spot...not supposed to be that way...wow but whatever more power to sean

WELL! Gus shut me up! No WAY i thought Sean had a snow ball chance in h3ll playing Saturday not to mention starting unless JJ just flat bombed. Stubborn Gus is growing up.

I just hope people are not too hard on Sean if it's not going like expected. Hope people don't think he's going to save us and make us elite in one game. Although..i/we can hope for that! :) Congrats to Sean and I know JJ will handle this situation with class. I hate it for him but it had to be done for the team. That's what's about...the team and not certain individuals. We still may need JJ down the line so i hope he's able to clear his head and better prepare mentally if he has to be called upon again.

I told u lol all I ask is for him to protect the ball, nothing complex

I wish Young Mr. White all the best..... But remember, those that called for this change must now own it..............

I don't see how anyone could watch the QB play of the first 3 games and think a change was NOT needed? If White plays like an average redshirt freshman QB starting his first SEC game, that will be better than what we've seen so far. I think he is above average and can't wait to see him play. I guess if he fails, people can blame the fans that wanted the change? SMH..

Funny how he himself spoke so highly of jeremy saying that he tries his best to learn from him and now he's taking his spot...wow smh

Smh???? Are you implying that SW is a trader or something similar? If so, most dense comment I may have ever read on this board. Please tell me I am misreading your comment

I wish Young Mr. White all the best..... But remember, those that called for this change must now own it..............

I don't see how anyone could watch the QB play of the first 3 games and think a change was NOT needed? If White plays like an average redshirt freshman QB starting his first SEC game, that will be better than what we've seen so far. I think he is above average and can't wait to see him play. I guess if he fails, people can blame the fans that wanted the change? SMH..

Yeah, no kidding. Seems awfully personal to some folks. Gus made the call that a lot of folks saw coming. Nothing to "own" for anyone.

He is just setting himself up for a "i told you so" moment later on.

What Gus and Sean's coach said about him back in May:

White's accuracy and decisions impressed Malzahn, who told AL.com in May the redshirt freshman made the competition with Johnson interesting in the spring.

"(White) pressed him," Malzahn said at the time. "He brought out the best in Jeremy. Jeremy Johnson is our starter, but we want Sean to come along like Jeremy did to like a 1, 1A, where the stress level, if something happens to Jeremy, we feel comfortable putting him in the game. After spring I felt a real good comfort with that."

White's former quarterbacks coach remains friends with the White family. They haven't worked together in nearly a year, Mastrole said, but a dinner conversation following Auburn's 31-24 win against Louisville provided a peek into White's mindset: the freshman was already preparing himself as a starter.

http://www.al.com/au...erdog_role.html

You guys are hammering chimes and I don't understand why. He's correct in what he is saying. You have got to produce at this level. This is one small step under the NFL. There is too much of this "don't you talk bad about my baby!" momma stuff on this board. Weird.

At this point, the bar of expectation couldn't be any lower.

If White doesn't find new and exciting ways to completely torpedo this team, we're gonna love him.

It's teed up nice and high, Sean.

Let it rip.

You guys are hammering chimes and I don't understand why. He's correct in what he is saying. You have got to produce at this level. This is one small step under the NFL. There is too much of this "don't you talk bad about my baby!" momma stuff on this board. Weird.

Nobody hammered chimes. What's weird is having a problem saying damn the guy couldn't perform wish he could have feel bad he couldn't and then getting angry and saying why do you feel bad? I don't feel bad....ok you don't. Dude had NFL aspirations, 3 weeks ago they were right there, now they aren't. He's a member of this team, he one of the major reasons we held a good recruiting class together. You can't say you wish it had went different? Nobody on here said man I'm going to go bake him cookies and hold his hand through this....hell I feel bad if a see a person miss their flight I can't say wish it had worked in his favor to the former starting qb of my school's team?

All this discussion about the physical skills of SW or JJ seem to miss the point. Both of these guys have good skills, skills that an offense can be built around. However the mental aspect of the game under pressure supersedes all that. Some QBs are able to handle that part and some are not and we are about to find out if SW is one of those QBs that can. We all hope that is the case and will be pulling for him.

One of the better post of the day IMO.

+1

Ironman's usually are some of the better posts I read.

Nobody hammered chimes. What's weird is having a problem saying damn the guy couldn't perform wish he could have feel bad he couldn't and then getting angry and saying why do you feel bad? I don't feel bad....ok you don't. Dude had NFL aspirations, 3 weeks ago they were right there, now they aren't. He's a member of this team, he one of the major reasons we held a good recruiting class together. You can't say you wish it had went different? Nobody on here said man I'm going to go bake him cookies and hold his hand through this....hell I feel bad if a see a person miss their flight I can't say wish it had worked in his favor to the former starting qb of my school's team?

I've never been angry about it, just confused at how far some are taking it. You don't think the open letters to Jeremy and the comments about being "devastated" for him are just a bit much?

All this discussion about the physical skills of SW or JJ seem to miss the point. Both of these guys have good skills, skills that an offense can be built around. However the mental aspect of the game under pressure supersedes all that. Some QBs are able to handle that part and some are not and we are about to find out if SW is one of those QBs that can. We all hope that is the case and will be pulling for him.

One of the better post of the day IMO.

+1

Ironman's usually are some of the better posts I read.

Agree, maybe JJ had the mindset in practice, but it seemed like in the games he lost it. This is why it probably took Gus a game like LSU to pull him because those things usually can be fixed... JJ not so much

Like we discussed yeah I think devastated could be a good term but we don't know him. If I lost a weeks pay right now I'd be very upset and I'm not hurting as far as money. If a big dent to my life long dream and I failed yeah. Devastated. If I just needed to pass my final with just a 50 to get my engineering degree and I made a 47...devastated. I'd live, there is somebody that's just happy to be alive somewhere on earth, but wouldn't change how I feel

I work with a guy that played at that level and I asked him if he had a teammate that was not producing how they would feel about it. He said that the dude would have to sit. He said that he was still his boy and would die for him, but if a teammate was stalling the team, he had to be benched. It's what is best for the team not the individual. Nobody hates Jeremy. Nobody wanted him to play this badly. EVERY person on this board that is an Auburn fan wanted and wants Jeremy to succeed, but if he is hurting the team, you have to think of the team first and foremost and individual feelings last.

Right...nobody says play Jeremy anyway, chimes reply was about why people feel bad, your post is talking about something that nobody has argued about

I work with a guy that played at that level and I asked him if he had a teammate that was not producing how they would feel about it. He said that the dude would have to sit. He said that he was still his boy and would die for him, but if a teammate was stalling the team, he had to be benched. It's what is best for the team not the individual. Nobody hates Jeremy. Nobody wanted him to play this badly. EVERY person on this board that is an Auburn fan wanted and wants Jeremy to succeed, but if he is hurting the team, you have to think of the team first and foremost and individual feelings last.

I'm not sure how wanting an underperforming player benched and feeling bad for him are mutually exclusive. He is a good Auburn man and deserves some level of sympathy.

If you had to fire an employee that you really liked, wouldn't you feel bad for them even though it needed to happen?

Archived