OK, now what changes for the defensive side?

tigerman1186

Ok let me change my comment. It was 120 degrees on the field, it probably smelled like musty corndogs, and the Auburn defense was on the field THE WHOLE FIRST HALF. By quarter 3 they were probably sick to their stomachs.

The defense didn't spend much time on the field during LSU's first two drives. And they were well rested on the first play Fournette ran for 1/4 mile. Just a thought.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok let me change my comment. It was 120 degrees on the field, it probably smelled like musty corndogs, and the Auburn defense was on the field THE WHOLE FIRST HALF. By quarter 3 they were probably sick to their stomachs.

First play 70+ yards.

Why?

Arm tackling & settling for being blocked out of the play.

That had nothing to do with time of possession or temperature.

Sorry. I didn't see your post and pretty much duplicated yours. Great minds......;)

Always things to blame when a team is struggling...I think some are missing how young and raw AU is in some areas. A lot of first time starters and freshmen in the two deep. Sometimes a team needs to get knocked down to learn to get back up. I am curious to see what the team can do with some offensive consistency, as well as how they respond to losing like they did this past weekend. AU knocked a young, inexperienced LSU team down last year. This year they returned the favor. I think there is fight, but leadership is definitely needed.

Great post.

Ok, in all seriousness. To be fair to our defense, it was 120 degrees on that field and the offense kept them on the field the WHOLE FREAKING GAME. lol. Also yesterday on ESPN they were talking about why the NFL should change their 2 year rule to prevent freaks like LF and Cam from making the rest of the NCAA look worthless.

I take your point but actually, there was a 7:13 difference in time of possession.

33:37- LSU

26:23- AU

It seemed so much worse. Lol. I bet the second half made the TOP look a lot better than it really was.

Yes, it sure did seem worse. Could be the 2nd half too or as your other post states, the corndogs. Those damn corndogs don't help at all. ;)

First play 70+ yards.

Why?

You talking about this first play ? I 'think' #17 is filling a lane, not sure what #8 is doing on that one.

CPme1FuWcAAqgWn.jpg

This thread has been going on quite a while and all I've seen is guesses....or suggestions.

SO.....just curious but has anyone heard anything from Boom about changes in the defense....all the news this week has been from Gus and about the QB situation and Lawson being out for a while. Is Boom even in town? ....unnaturally quiet on the defensive front.

What else is actually going on and will we see some different faces this Saturday? Looking for actual facts or comments from the coaches.

Put the meanest and biggest guy over the center and put adams, lawerence and russell inside between guard tackle hole. Cowert, kennison, and mckinsey are strong side ends. Frost is weak side. Holland and williams middle linebackers. The play cant be any worse

This IMHO is the way to go. I think we will see a spitting mad defense that will surprise DAK & company in a very bad way. I have never lost faith in Boom and am with him for the long haul. He is a super DC, and I am most proud to have him as our DC.

The offense will come around and will start playing like they did in 2013 & parts of 2014.

I was not expecting Muschamp to trot out something like the 2004 defense this season, and I'm not disappointed that he hasn't. That said, Jax State was held under 20 despite JSU having a time of possession advantage greater than 10 minutes. The first half defense against Louisville was also solid. I don't think the defense surrenders 400+ rushing yards and 45 points to LSU if they hadn't spent almost the entire first half on the field. 2014's defense struggled to hold any offense with a pulse under 30 (rarely succeeding), and it seemed like the secondary was perpetually out of position in pass coverage. Pass coverage has definitely looked consistently better this year.

This defense is struggling with a combination of injuries and inept offense keeping them on the field. I also suspect Muschamp is more concerned with developing the young players than trying to correct the upperclassmen. If the offense was performing anything like it was expected to, I think the conversation about defense is generally better. People grew accustomed to Auburn still being able to win with a defense they considered nonexistent, due to offensive success. I think the defense is better than last year's, but it's still a way off from being able to win games when the offense struggles to put up 20 points.

Great post and very accurate IMHO

This thread has been going on quite a while and all I've seen is guesses....or suggestions.

SO.....just curious but has anyone heard anything from Boom about changes in the defense....all the news this week has been from Gus and about the QB situation and Lawson being out for a while. Is Boom even in town? ....unnaturally quiet on the defensive front.

What else is actually going on and will we see some different faces this Saturday? Looking for actual facts or comments from the coaches.

This site no longer does news. We just get opinions and arguments. Save your fingers. I know I am socially, mentally and genetically inferior to all you guys that loved the S&G coach this time last year,(what a beast!) but hate him this year, cause we lost and don't appear to be very good. So our HC and OC and DC,who all (but the DC, who was wonderful later), were wonderful this time last year, now suck for the same reasons. Whatever. I miss the old board and the AU folks there. You could post something semi-positive without having the usual suspects start a 9 page urinating contest about why you are so stupid for not thinking exactly like they do.

Bottom line is we are not PHYSICAL enough on defense. Although the Ole Miss Bama game turned into a shootout, the defenders on both teams were fast and violent on every snap. That used to be what Auburn defense looked like. I have nearly forgotten what it looks like to see some fool getting popped and 11 blue jerseys rallying to the football all night. Now I just hope we play decent defense and look for the offense to put up 40

How can Ol mrs improve to the level they have attained and we not. Something is NOT RIGHT. No way the Rebs should have passed us by in talent. Their D and O talent look well coached and angry. US, not so much.

This site is an excellent site that is a melting pot of ideas, dreams, and hopes for Auburn Football and other sports that Auburn competes in. Each fan has a right to express their likes and dislikes. It is up to each of us to respect thoughts and ideas of those fans who do not see eye to eye with me or any other fan on this board.

We all want Auburn to win every time we take the field and this is a right that every good fan deserves. When the team does not play to the realistic level of talent they possess, of course any right minded decent fan will be upset. I do not want the coaches fired, I just want them to coach up the players to the point to where what we see is a product of excellent coaching and motivation.

Each of us know that CGM is a sound and very capable coach that can guide this 2015 team to many more wins this season. I try my best to be a fair and objective fan who wants the best for Auburn sports and most importantly to keep the academics the best in the state and country.

This site is an excellent site that is a melting pot of ideas, dreams, and hopes for Auburn Football and other sports that Auburn competes in. Each fan has a right to express their likes and dislikes. It is up to each of us to respect thoughts and ideas of those fans who do not see eye to eye with me or any other fan on this board.

We all want Auburn to win every time we take the field and this is a right that every good fan deserves. When the team does not play to the realistic level of talent they possess, of course any right minded decent fan will be upset. I do not want the coaches fired, I just want them to coach up the players to the point to where what we see is a product of excellent coaching and motivation.

Each of us know that CGM is a sound and very capable coach that can guide this 2015 team to many more wins this season. I try my best to be a fair and objective fan who wants the best for Auburn sports and most importantly to keep the academics the best in the state and country.

Doc, you are not one of "those". I have been as negative as anyone at times. Short periods of time. But you have to have a long view. Coaches don't get stupid in 12 months. I am older. I can enjoy the good seasons, and watch the others without slamming our team or coaches by sounding like the oopposition. Or worse. That is all I am saying.

Doc, you are not one of "those". I have been as negative as anyone at times. Short periods of time. But you have to have a long view. Coaches don't get stupid in 12 months. I am older. I can enjoy the good seasons, and watch the others without slamming our team or coaches by sounding like the oopposition. Or worse. That is all I am saying.

Agree wholeheartedly. There might be a time for some of this stuff in December but there is a lot of football to play and if the players and coaches were as quick to give up on themselves as many on here are then it would be a long one season. I suspect those guys are made of a lot sterner stuff than the hard ass keyboard warriors dogging them here non-stop. Not talking about everyone with a criticism, just those that do it without any nuance or perspective.

First play 70+ yards.

Why?

Yep. Will cannot tackle for them, no matter how bad communication seems to be.

The missed tackles in that game, poor tackling effort was just horrendous. Not 2012 worthy but it sure helped LF7

We are all just gun shy because 2012 wasn't that long ago and that team gave up. And that first half vs LSU looked like a snapshot from the 2012 season. I think JJ was playing better than Frazier played though.

How can Ol mrs improve to the level they have attained and we not. Something is NOT RIGHT. No way the Rebs should have passed us by in talent. Their D and O talent look well coached and angry. US, not so much.

I don't know but I have a hunch that it is a mixture of good recruting (even though they are current sitting a player due to an NCAA investigation), good player evaluation, and good developement by their S&C program. Their coaching staff is at least equal to ours, they just seem to get more production out of their players than we do.

Always things to blame when a team is struggling...I think some are missing how young and raw AU is in some areas. A lot of first time starters and freshmen in the two deep. Sometimes a team needs to get knocked down to learn to get back up. I am curious to see what the team can do with some offensive consistency, as well as how they respond to losing like they did this past weekend. AU knocked a young, inexperienced LSU team down last year. This year they returned the favor. I think there is fight, but leadership is definitely needed.

Great post.

Couldn't bring myself to say it but.....

Agreed.

I don't know but I have a hunch that it is a mixture of good recruting (even though they are current sitting a player due to an NCAA investigation), good player evaluation, and good developement by their S&C program. Their coaching staff is at least equal to ours, they just seem to get more production out of their players than we do.

As I understand it the infraction was about a loaner car from a local dealership and has nothing to do with his recruitment.

But I do think Freeze is a rat. And it's not just the teeth.

WDE!

I think Frost is best suited in Nickel, but right now he needs to act like every game is his last and he needs to overcome his poor positioning and NOW.

Cass has all the tools but between the ears (in a football sense) he misses sometimes. I'd like to see him as a pass rusher some but we will see...the depth at LB isn't great.

I think Frost's poor positioning is on purpose because he hates contact. I don't know how good he would be at nickel, but with his instincts and athleticism I think he would make for one hell of a Matador.

Like others have said:

* I would sit Frost. Let TW give it a shot, although I think TW struggled last week a little as well...

* Cowart played more than any other DE last week but I would start him and play him a ton. He is struggling as a freshman but he is better than the others...and that is saying something.

* If Garret is healthy, start him. If not, play a freshman.

* I would play DD, D Wlliams, or someone new at the other LB position.

* If Cass knows how to play buck, let him play buck/DE. I think he looks pretty good at times. If not, i would play Jeff Holland at buck. I think he looks the best out of all of the freshmen so far.

* Start Adams and Russell in the middle.

* The back 4 starters stay the same although I would probably let Ruffin or Roberts start for Ford and then bring him in pretty quick.

So my starters from the cheap seats: Cowart, Adams, Russell, Cass (buck), Garrett, T Williams, DD, Countess, Jones, Matthews, Ruffin. I would sub Holland in a LOT for Cass (who could slide back to LB) as well as Ford in at safety.

I think Frost is best suited in Nickel, but right now he needs to act like every game is his last and he needs to overcome his poor positioning and NOW.

Cass has all the tools but between the ears (in a football sense) he misses sometimes. I'd like to see him as a pass rusher some but we will see...the depth at LB isn't great.

I think Frost's poor positioning is on purpose because he hates contact. I don't know how good he would be at nickel, but with his instincts and athleticism I think he would make for one hell of a Matador.

can you remember him EVER hitting a ball carrier head on?....I actually tried, and I don't remember a single time

Archived