malzahn is way over paid

tombigbeetiger

To follow up a bit more, Roof had the absolute best halftime adjustments we've seen in a long time at AU. Night and day between halves. Lets just say when game planning on Saturday and Sunday, he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted and was questioned and denied at every turn. He wasn't during halftime.

To follow up a bit more, Roof had the absolute best halftime adjustments we've seen in a long time at AU. Night and day between halves. Lets just say when game planning on Saturday and Sunday, he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted and was questioned and denied at every turn. He wasn't during halftime.

ted roof was a much, much better DC than AU folks will ever realize.....he has improved defenses at every stop, and that is no joke....his halftime adjustments were amazing.....when I see people still criticize roof, it makes me laugh....the guy can coach a defense, when allowed to do so

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are saying Chizik was the problem with Roof and Gus was the problem with Ellis Johnson? Just give me a yes or no answer for each . Thanks

So you are saying Chizik was the problem with Roof and Gus was the problem with Ellis Johnson? Just give me a yes or no answer for each . Thanks

He already said talent level was the problem with Johnson and Chizik was the problem with Roof. So it's a yes on Chiz and a no on Gus if you read his posts.

Gus is not getting the players ready. Gus is allowing the problems to remain and not dealing with the players. Gus is the one calling the plays and he Is responsible for the lack of Maturity and fire in the players. So yes Gus needs to get better too

I'm afraid the villagers with pitchforks and torches will have there say if this level of coaching continues despite the poo pooing of those who are better qualified to make such decisions.

I'm afraid the villagers with pitchforks and torches will have there say if this level of coaching continues despite the poo pooing of those who are better qualified to make such decisions.

:P

In sports, contracts reflect what you have done as opposed to what you are going to do (reference any other players/coach big contract). Consider them payment for time already served. Im not saying he deserves his salary, Auburn always has a way of overpaying. i prefer a performance based contract as opposed to any type of lump sum but im in the minority

Boy this thread was exactly what we needed. Forget the last two years have been some of the best offense Auburn has ever seen. Forget that the problem last year was on D, so he fired a DC after only 2 seasons and hired the best one money could buy. Forget that we are younger overall than any team that won a natty in the last 20 years. Forget that we won every stat of that game other than score. Once you forget every single one of those points, then your point is valid. What will you say when we win out from here? Fire his ass? Go away.

ssshhhhhh facts. shhhhhh.

Boy this thread was exactly what we needed. Forget the last two years have been some of the best offense Auburn has ever seen. Forget that the problem last year was on D, so he fired a DC after only 2 seasons and hired the best one money could buy. Forget that we are younger overall than any team that won a natty in the last 20 years. Forget that we won every stat of that game other than score. Once you forget every single one of those points, then your point is valid. What will you say when we win out from here? Fire his ass? Go away.

Please don't let facts get in the way of a good solid Auburn family meltdown.

I am not venting at all....4 trips inside the 10 and 6 points to show?....last year, updykes and bowl game?....I finally saw the player play with "want to" and then lose the game on ridiculous play calling that had nothing to do with them....tell me that you are happy with this crap

Just because a play doesn't work doesn't mean the play call was bad. There is such thing as poor execution.

I dont think I need to read much more on this thread after coming across this post. The fault lies somewhere between play calling and execution - and closer to execution. Malzahn didnt call a pick play on the opening drive and didnt call for a snap over head or for our offensive line not to be able to give the RB a chance to punch it in from the 2.

And people are equally allowed to call out post that are asinine

Didn't you support Chizik until the reality kicked you in your butt?

wde

no, I supported the DCs that the uninformed continued to say didn't know how to coach. Btw, I was proven correct when they left.

mmk. So you think Ted Roof is an excellent DC and Ellis Johnson is an excellent DC. Got it but totally disagree. Why, in your opinion, are our defenses are still less than average? I think both Roof and Ellis Johnson are/were average at best as a DC. I think Muschamp is a very good DC. Are you suggesting that both Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn were/are the problem with the team?

wde

wde

Are you saying they're not? They have all had great success before they got to Auburn and after they left they continued to have success. The only one that has not redeemed himself as of yet is Johnson.

Roof and Van Gorder we're handcuffed their entire time at AU. Others can verify that if you want. Johnson inherited a dumpster fire and was given a thimble to put it out with. I felt bad for Johnson because he never had the jimmies or Joes to compete, that wasn't his or malzahn's fault. Why do you think so many freshman are playing?

Bird, you said Johnson didn't have the players (not disagreeing here) so shouldn't there have been a youth movement when he arrived? If Roof and Stash were so good shouldn't the players have been here when Johnson arrived? I guess What I'm not understanding is how we had 3 good D coordinators in a row yet not have the talent we need on that side of the ball. Isn't bringing in good talent part of it or are you simply referring to Xs and Os? I understand they were each running different Defenses but we were bringing in top 10 classes that whole time and signing players that pretty much all other SEC programs were hard after also.

Gus cost Auburn a Natty in 2013 with his conservative play calling and the Outback bowl with his ridiculous OT play calling, neither of which, could be pinned on the defense. Overall, Auburn has dropped 5 straight and 6 of 8 against SEC competition. Myth or reality? Gus is an offensive genius. If he truly is the offensive guru that so many claim him to be, it’s time for Gus to prove his system will work even with talented but inexperienced personnel. Only time will tell.

I don't agree with your '13 National Championship assertion considering the crap the '12 team was.......

The highlighted part of your post makes this AU fan very concerned.

I'm calling myth - Gus is not an offensive genius/guru, at least not in the SEC. His offensive scheme/philosophy may work fantastic in another conference, but it appears it has been figured out in the SEC.

Started to read these posts and they were from one extreme to the other. Gus can coach O you don't judge a coach on a game or even a couple of games but by his body or work. He had a Redshirt Freshman who had never played in a college game. He tried to protect him by running a lot and it worked however when he got down into Red Zone he got a little to cute and it cost us. We got back to Basics with running game and when Sean had time he was good. Let's build on it

Please don't let facts get in the way of a good solid Auburn family meltdown.

What about the fact that the QB who ran those offenses is gone and there's been a massive drop off THIS season? I don't think we need to be comparing ourselves to NC teams... How about 10 win teams? How does our youth stack up with 10 win teams over the past 20 years? Who the **** cares that we won every stat other than the final score? The final score is the only one that matters as evidenced by the large number of posters who assured me of that fact after WE LOST EVERY STATE CATEGORY except for the final score TO LOUISVILLE AND JACKSONVILLE STATE. You can't have it both ways.

Gus is not getting the players ready. Gus is allowing the problems to remain and not dealing with the players. Gus is the one calling the plays and he Is responsible for the lack of Maturity and fire in the players. So yes Gus needs to get better too

I'm sorry but this is very hard for me to believe. Gus was involved with the Mitch Mustain/Houston Nutt mess when he was at Arkansas, he watched that unfold before his eyes. Gus was involved with Mike Dyer/Gene Chizik mess at Auburn, he watched that unfold before his eyes.

Gus has first hand experience with what happens when players are allowed to basically run the show. He knows what happens when players revolt against the coaching staff like they did at Arkansas and formerly at Auburn under Chizik. One would think Gus has learned a thing or two about player discord and he wouldn't allow it to happen here.

What about the fact that the QB who ran those offenses is gone and there's been a massive drop off THIS season? I don't think we need to be comparing ourselves to NC teams... How about 10 win teams? How does our youth stack up with 10 win teams over the past 20 years?

Who the **** cares that we won every stat other than the final score? The final score is the only one that matters as evidenced by the large number of posters who assured me of that fact after WE LOST EVERY STATE CATEGORY except for the final score TO LOUISVILLE AND JACKSONVILLE STATE. You can't have it both ways.

That's sunshine pumping at it's finest! :jossun:

I'm sorry but this is very hard for me to believe. Gus was involved with the Mitch Mustain/Houston Nutt mess when he was at Arkansas, he watched that unfold before his eyes. Gus was involved with Mike Dyer/Gene Chizik mess at Auburn, he watched that unfold before his eyes.

Gus has first hand experience with what happens when players are allowed to basically run the show. He knows what happens when players revolt against the coaching staff like they did at Arkansas and formerly at Auburn under Chizik. One would think Gus has learned a thing or two about player discord and he wouldn't allow it to happen here.

Just playing devils advocate here but Gus did bring Dyer to Ark St.

Remember the 2013 team is three plays away from being 8-4. MSST late TD pass, Prayer in JH, and Kick six. Gus is also working with a team that is lacknig in experience at key positions. Give it time.

He already said talent level was the problem with Johnson and Chizik was the problem with Roof. So it's a yes on Chiz and a no on Gus if you read his posts.

I appreciate your contribution to my questions asked to BigBird and I assume he appreciates them as well. However; I am really looking forward to the poster (that would be BigBird) I asked the questions to actually answer the questions to further carry on the conversation.

wde

Logically your post makes sense. But that seems to be what some are fearing. That Gus doesn't put as much emphasis on what that type of situation can do to a team. Like amsterjam said, he knew every little thing Dyer did and still brought him to Arky State. If Whitehead got in a confrontation with a coach he shouldn't have been put back on the team. That's just unacceptable. IDK what the deal with Duke is but there is way too much smoke surrounding the guy for absolutely none of the rumors to be true. He has been a problem with multiple issues and has only been on campus for 1.5 years. Even bringing Nick Marshall and Tray Mathews into the program is a little :dunno: . Nick Marshall had a zero tolerance policy and STILL got in trouble with the law while at AU. And who knows if he's holding all the players to the same standard regarding drug tests and other minor behavioral issues. We heard lots of stories of important players not being disciplined under Chiz while other players were being punished.

Unless you want to take the position that ALL SEC coaches are overpaid, a valid position but it requires changing the title, then let's put an end to the title's false premise.

There are 10 of 14 coaches in the SEC that make at least $4 million/year. Only 4 of 14 have ever won an SEC Championship at their present school and only 3 of 14 also have a NC game appearance. Gus is in both of those groups, so no, Gus is not "overpaid".

The salaries of the SEC's coaches (SEC Championship/NCG appearance):

Nick Saban, Alabama, $7.16 million (yes/yes) **

Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M, $5 million (no/no)

Les Miles, LSU, $4.37 million (yes/yes) **

Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss, $4.3 million (no/no)

Gus Malzahn, Auburn, $4.1 million (yes/yes) **

Gary Pinkel, Missouri, $4.02 million (no/no)

Steve Spurrier, South Carolina, $4.02 million (no/no) @ USC

Mark Richt, Georgia, $4 million (yes/no) *

Bret Bielema, Arkansas, $4 million (no/no)

Dan Mullen, Mississippi State, $4 million (no/no)

4 coaches make more than $3 million but less than $4 million:

Butch Jones, Tennessee (no/no)

Derek Mason, Vanderbilt (no/no)

Jim McElwain, Florida (no/no)

Mike Stoops, Kentucky (no/no)

http://collegefootba...ntinue-to-soar/

May as well call a spade a spade. Gus has witnessed teams collapse right before his eyes when player "issues" are poorly managed. I can't believe he would let those past player issues raise their ugly head when he has a whole new crop of players at his first big time HC job. Yet, that poster has eluded to these issues more than once on this board.

I appreciate your contribution to my questions asked to BigBird and I assume he appreciates them as well. However; I am really looking forward to the poster (that would be BigBird) I asked the questions to actually answer the questions to further carry on the conversation.

wde

You're not getting it. The questions you asked were already answered (by the same one you are asking mind you). Just try actually reading all the posts and you're answer is there. Nobody should have to repeat the same answers over and over again simply because you aren't reading earlier responses.

May as well call a spade a spade. Gus has witnessed teams collapse right before his eyes when player "issues" are poorly managed. I can't believe he would let those past player issues raise their ugly head when he has a whole new crop of players at his first big time HC job. Yet, that poster has eluded to these issues more than once on this board.

Roger that. At the same time it didn't take long for Gus to give him the boot.

Archived