Jay Jacobs

PatBoCamRob

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay Jacobs must be the official scapegoat any time Auburn loses a game in any sport.

Hey Jay how are you today? He is AU's AD. So the buck stops with him. And he is way in over his head as AD at AU. I've been saying this since the day he was hired.

Jay Jacobs must be the official scapegoat any time Auburn loses a game in any sport.

Yes...it's written into his contract....Athletic Director and Designated Scapegoat. Check his business card.

Meanwhile, what' wrong with the concert ? We have a billion dollar asset that can be used for many purposes...and yet we use it less than a dozen times a year for revenue producing functions. Why not use it the same as we do with the Arena.

JMO but as long as non-religious entertainment functions have equal access to the stadium, there should be no problem unless the school policy is to discriminate against religious groups.... or bow to those who would have us do that.

JJ is out of his depth as AD and has been since day one. I think he got fortunate on the timing of the Myers and Pearl hires. Hopefully Gus can right the ship but let's face it- the two football HC hires JJ has made haven't been home run type moves.

The two football coaches he hired haven't been homerun hires? One won the first national championship AU has had in 50 years, plus an SEC championship. The second won an SEC champiponship and played in the NC game in his first year. If that ain't home run, WTH could possibly be?

About the "Bring in an outsider" idea, here's a quote for y'all: "If they think an Auburn Man can't do the job they should shut the damn place down."~~~Coach Shug Jordan, upon being told that the main obstacle to him getting the AU head coaching job in 1951 was that he was an Auburn man.

Is JJ perfect? No. Here's a clue...no other AD is either.

JJ is out of his depth as AD and has been since day one. I think he got fortunate on the timing of the Myers and Pearl hires. Hopefully Gus can right the ship but let's face it- the two football HC hires JJ has made haven't been home run type moves.

The two football coaches he hired haven't been homerun hires? One won the first national championship AU has had in 50 years, plus an SEC championship. The second won an SEC champiponship and played in the NC game in his first year. If that ain't home run, WTH could possibly be?

About the "Bring in an outsider" idea, here's a quote for y'all: "If they think an Auburn Man can't do the job they should shut the damn place down."~~~Coach Shug Jordan, upon being told that the main obstacle to him getting the AU head coaching job in 1951 was that he was an Auburn man.

I'm not aware of any other AD that catches as much crap as ours does. I also don't look at other schools message boards on the regular, so that may have something to do with it. But I'd say overall Jay is doing a pretty darn good job. The hires have gone well for the most part (and when they haven't he's worked to rectify).

How do you firing the baseball coach was for cause if Jacobs will not talk about it? I've been told Sonny has hired a lawyer and their going after for firing him cause he said he didn't do anything wrong to cause JJ to fire him.

If you think he fired Golloway for cause even though there was no cause, you've been living with your head in the sand. An Athletic Dept isn't going to fire someone for cause unless they are DARN sure they have a case they can win. That's why you almost never hear of a coach getting fired for cause. There's also PLENTY of stuff going around from various sources around mistreatment of players, not to mention the yelling fit vs Bama, locking the batting cages, and the practices that were taking place when the NCAA has specifically said no coach contact.

Not to mention, lawyers typically advise people not to talk about a case until it's been heard. Golloway has a lawyer, there clearly will be hearings and a court involved. Troll on A4E, troll on.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

You do realize that our ladies are kicking butt right?

Last year was our best year in the history of the program in softball.

Last year was our best year in the history of the program in gymnastics.

This year our ladies soccer team is #8 in the nation (best ranking in the history of the program).

Equestrian team is currently ranked #4.

I think we are doing OK in some sports, not just the "big three".

11th in nation in Men's Golf (highest ranking this year was #2)

6th in the nation in Men's swimming

7th in the nation in Women's swimming

Ranked #1 in the SEC in recruiting rankings for basketball for 2016 and 2017 (#2 in nation for 2017)

2 National Championship game appearances in football in the last 5 years....

FIRE JAY JACOBS THAT MORON!! HE HAS RUN OUR ENTIRE ATHLETIC PROGRAM INTO THE GROUND!!!!

Just stop people. Facts don't back up these arguments even in the slightest little bit.

If the cause was a major NCAA infraction then fine but if it was a minor one then AU might have a problem. Football commits minor infractions almost yearly as many universities do as there are many ticky tack rules that catch you. Also, those saying JJ is doing a good job with his hires, seems like we lost a very valuable coach under his watch and the program hasn't done that well since and has been on the slide over the past few years. We used to be dominate in swimming but we are no longer. We seemed to be turning the corner in baseball so since JJ fired the coach he better hire an even better coach this go around. He makes way too much money to be throwing around the money he has been and not held responsible for these decisions he has made. By the way how has our women's basketball been doing lately? Seems like a downturn to me. That is also on JJ. I for one think he needs a big pay cut but that is just me.

What I have seen on another thread is that Baseball Coach was fired due to the stunts he pulled last year against Alabama that made Jacobs write an apology letter to Alabama as he violated NCAA rules and locked them out of the batting cages, etc.

SEC teams already think we use stunts like this to win, i.e. the poor clock situation in JHS, the elevators vs. Arky, etc.

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/nsiap-sunny-golloway-whats-up-aubie-fans/59116408/

If he really did that and what they say about Oklahoma begging for someone to take him, I say good riddance. Read the creed, specifically the part about clean sports.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

This year our ladies soccer team is #8 in the nation (best ranking in the history of the program).

Yes. But the whole Title IX thing is supposed to work BECAUSE you can take revenue from -say- football and deploy it in - say- softball. It won't work if we overextend ourselves in football and can't generate the revenue.

If you took your car to the mechanic for maintenance, and he fixed the blinkers but totally screwed up the engine, you'd have a problem.

We had problems before the season started. $3,000 a seat, flat, inside the 20s won't be supported in an Alabama/Georgia economy. By comparison, Falcons lower sideline tickets are $1,500/season.

Shug was The Man. But it's not 1951 anymore. We are recruiting nationwide and internationally now. The Athletics budget is no small thing. The consequences of bad business decisions are exponentially larger now than they were 64 years ago.

Ranked #1 in the SEC in recruiting rankings for basketball for 2016 and 2017 (#2 in nation for 2017)

FIRE JAY JACOBS THAT MORON!! HE HAS RUN OUR ENTIRE ATHLETIC PROGRAM INTO THE GROUND!!!!

Just stop people. Facts don't back up these arguments even in the slightest little bit.

Actually golf is #2 at this moment in Men's Golf and we were ranked #1 just 2 weeks ago. Gotta take care of my golf team

Actually golf is #2 at this moment in Men's Golf and we were ranked #1 just 2 weeks ago. Gotta take care of my golf team

Smh

If the cause was a major NCAA infraction then fine but if it was a minor one then AU might have a problem. Football commits minor infractions almost yearly as many universities do as there are many ticky tack rules that catch you. Also, those saying JJ is doing a good job with his hires, seems like we lost a very valuable coach under his watch and the program hasn't done that well since and has been on the slide over the past few years. We used to be dominate in swimming but we are no longer. We seemed to be turning the corner in baseball so since JJ fired the coach he better hire an even better coach this go around. He makes way too much money to be throwing around the money he has been and not held responsible for these decisions he has made. By the way how has our women's basketball been doing lately? Seems like a downturn to me. That is also on JJ. I for one think he needs a big pay cut but that is just me.

So you've found 2 moves you dont agree with...

(1) Most people dont like the swimming change, but it wasnt Auburn's choice. Marsh was not forced out. He was offered a better job at a USS Olympic Training Center of Excellence....the first of it's kind in the US. Some debate whether it was a step up or not, but Marsh thought it was and he wanted the job and took it. Thats not JJs fault. The replacement hire (following a legend) is almost impossible usually, yet we still have a guy that gets us top 6 in the country. Impressive save if you ask me.

(2) Then we have Womens BBall....well we stink there and will likely have a new coach soon if it doesnt change very quickly (though it wasnt a bad hire at the time as the coach left Georgetown for AU after 3 straight second round or better NCAA appearances).

Sooooo....swimming is not on JJ (he actually made a really good hire in a tough situation), Marsh wanted to retire from college athletics...and womens BBall should have worked out better based on the evidence at the time.

So the only real question mark is the new baseball deal that we have no info on....Hardly calls for a paycut or a firing. I understand most people dont keep up with the inner workings of all AU sports, but everyone should look deeper into situations before calling for someones head with very small portions of info.

According to this one they are 8th

http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=mt

And 3rd here

http://collegiategolf.com/coaches-poll.html

This is where I saw 11th (I missed the date being in May...thought the NCAA website was up to date)

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/golf-men/d1

These smaller sports sometimes have conflicting info available. Either way...we are pretty darn good

I am by no means a big Jacobs supporter, and I also feel he is a nice guy, that is in over his head.

With that said, these JJ bashing threads are getting pretty old.

Agreed 24! Just a few months ago everyone was singing his praises for Bruce, Gus, Will, Softball coaches, etc. Now suddenly he is out of his league, over matched, etc. Grow up guys. We are having a season that is not going to win a NC. Move on. Hopefully we are better next year. No one can say what next year holds just like no one can say what our recruiting class will hold. Calm down and let the people who are getting paid great money to do their job.

(1) Most people dont like the swimming change, but it wasnt Auburn's choice. Marsh was not forced out. He was offered a better job at a USS Olympic Training Center of Excellence....the first of it's kind in the US. Some debate whether it was a step up or not, but Marsh thought it was and he wanted the job and took it. Thats not JJs fault. The replacement hire (following a legend) is almost impossible usually, yet we still have a guy that gets us top 6 in the country. Impressive save if you ask me.

(2) Then we have Womens BBall....well we stink there and will likely have a new coach soon if it doesnt change very quickly (though it wasnt a bad hire at the time as the coach left Georgetown for AU after 3 straight second round or better NCAA appearances).

Sooooo....swimming is not on JJ (he actually made a really good hire in a tough situation), Marsh wanted to retire from college athletics...and womens BBall should have worked out better based on the evidence at the time.

So the only real question mark is the new baseball deal that we have no info on....Hardly calls for a paycut or a firing. I understand most people dont keep up with the inner workings of all AU sports, but everyone should look deeper into situations before calling for someones head with very small portions of info.

Sooooo...let me get this straight...He hired the past couple of Baseball Coaches? He put in an overpriced babysitter to be with Cam during his time here. The swimming has gone down hill since Marsh left. I know it is hard to replace a legend but wasn't there some flap about Marsh's leaving due to Marsh wanting some improvements and JJ said no? He has raised some buyouts and then fired the coaches? See Tubs & Chizik. Tubbs supposedly quit which means no buyout but we felt obligated? Chizik...big contract post NC? Both bad moves. I will give him Pearl but that was a no brainer...I like the hiring of Gus but that was not him but a committee...Women's Softball great hire but I think Meyer reached out for the position....so I still think that an AD making over a mil a year with the raising of prices and is supposedly customer focused needs to really be customer focused and he hasn't shown that yet. There are many areas that he could improve but seems to give his cronies the first crack at unsold tickets and allow them to make money off of those tickets but could have easily sold them to us fans. I don't buy the time factor as any good marketing student could have told you how to get those tickets out. I am not griping about the hires but the business decisions that he has made along the way which is alienating fans and alums...

Yes...it's written into his contract....Athletic Director and Designated Scapegoat. Check his business card.

Meanwhile, what' wrong with the concert ? We have a billion dollar asset that can be used for many purposes...and yet we use it less than a dozen times a year for revenue producing functions. Why not use it the same as we do with the Arena.

JMO but as long as non-religious entertainment functions have equal access to the stadium, there should be no problem unless the school policy is to discriminate against religious groups.... or bow to

those who would have us do that.

Couldn't agree more. If bringing a religious group is economically feasible and we also bring in non religious groups that is a business decision not a support religion decision. Pearl is a JJ hire as is Malzan and Muschamp. I find it hard to believe that one of the top offensive minds in college football over last 10 years suddenly forgot how to coach O. Sometimes things happen. I do agree that you don't give a huge contract extension after the NC but remember many on this board who are now saying Guz has lost it were worrying about him going Pro and saying we had to be sure to find a way to keep him.

I am not a Jay Jacobs fan but if you want him gone at lease use logic for the reason you want him gone.

Jay Jacobs can not make a hiring or firing decision without the approval of the BOT. He can't extended a coaches contract, negotiate a salary, or make a decision about a buyout without the approval of the BOT. He can't install a gigantic jumbotron, build a new basketball Arena, or make renovations/improvements to athletic facilities without the approval of the BOT.

Jay Jacobs can not make a hiring or firing decision without the approval of the BOT. He can't extended a coaches contract, negotiate a salary, or make a decision about a buyout without the approval of the BOT. He can't install a gigantic jumbotron, build a new basketball Arena, or make renovations/improvements to athletic facilities without the approval of the BOT.

See, we don't even need an AD.

Sooooo...let me get this straight...He hired the past couple of Baseball Coaches? He put in an overpriced babysitter to be with Cam during his time here. The swimming has gone down hill since Marsh left. I know it is hard to replace a legend but wasn't there some flap about Marsh's leaving due to Marsh wanting some improvements and JJ said no? He has raised some buyouts and then fired the coaches? See Tubs & Chizik. Tubbs supposedly quit which means no buyout but we felt obligated? Chizik...big contract post NC? Both bad moves. I will give him Pearl but that was a no brainer...I like the hiring of Gus but that was not him but a committee...Women's Softball great hire but I think Meyer reached out for the position....so I still think that an AD making over a mil a year with the raising of prices and is supposedly customer focused needs to really be customer focused and he hasn't shown that yet. There are many areas that he could improve but seems to give his cronies the first crack at unsold tickets and allow them to make money off of those tickets but could have easily sold them to us fans. I don't buy the time factor as any good marketing student could have told you how to get those tickets out. I am not griping about the hires but the business decisions that he has made along the way which is alienating fans and alums...

Swimming had just opened a new heated outdoor practice facility before Marsh left. The competition pool is from 1993, however wtill good in enough in 2005 to hold the US open so i doubt he left because of facilities he wasnt getting. Thats very likely just a rumor. Swimming is on par now with Marsh's last few years where he averaged 6th and 8th in mens and womens...which is where we are now. The baseball hires are questionable, but were there more proven options at the time? So we agree on baseball being questionable, just not sure where we would have done better with a different AD.

JJ didnt simply raise the buyout and then fire the coaches either. Coaches were given contract extensions, which at the time were deserved. Fans at the time of these extensions agreed with them by and large. Thats our luxury as fans I suppose....agree at the time and then bash later when it doesn't work out.

No credit for the softball hire? The softball coach must have hired himself :dunno:

On ticket prices, yes they are too high. However, the season tickets sold out this year did they not? Thats just a free market economy at work. Any smart business person raises prices until they see negative effects and drops them back down to the best profit to price ratio. Right now, profit is increasing with ticket prices, so there is no need to drop them. When profits start to dwindle, ticket prices will come down. The ONLY fix for increasing ticket prices is to quit buying them. Thats not on JJ, thats on the fans for continuing to pay the high price. JJ shouldn't be expected to lose possible monetary income so people with less money can afford tickets. He is in a business for profit even though he technically works at a non-profit...(I wrote a long essay about this exact subject in college).

Long story short, could he have kept the coaches around for less money when he gave them contract extensions? Probably...but how much additional profit did we really see from two years of National Championship games throughout the entire years? I'm betting more than enough to cover the buyouts (whether or not the published profits shohw it or not which is a completely different discussion)

:wareagle:

I am by no means a big Jacobs supporter, and I also feel he is a nice guy, that is in over his head.

With that said, these JJ bashing threads are getting pretty old.

IMO, Jay Jacobs threads are hang overs. They happen after losses or some or some negative event. I think he let the Russians into Syria as well. If you don't like cats to begin with then any reason is a good reason to kick a cat.

Archived