PatBoCamRob

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who actually watches swimming?

Swimmers.

And their parents.

Maybe a few supportive friends too.

not hating but i never watch, don't know anyone who watches or has any intention of supporting swimming. therefore i can't be critical of not dominating this sport. i don't think it is much of a revenue producer either.. probably the same for a lot of sports i do like like golf. still no revenue, or much support for it.

Swimmers.

And their parents.

Check the roster...most of our swimmers are from distant states and foreign countries...but swimming is a great sport to watch though it's one of those non-revenue sports ...and JMO, but it is probably on a list somewhere to be cancelled in the not too distant future when the athletic department starts making those "cost of living" payments.

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

You do realize that our ladies are kicking butt right?

Last year was our best year in the history of the program in softball.

Last year was our best year in the history of the program in gymnastics.

This year our ladies soccer team is #8 in the nation (best ranking in the history of the program).

Equestrian team is currently ranked #4.

I think we are doing OK in some sports, not just the "big three".

11th in nation in Men's Golf (highest ranking this year was #2)

6th in the nation in Men's swimming

7th in the nation in Women's swimming

Ranked #1 in the SEC in recruiting rankings for basketball for 2016 and 2017 (#2 in nation for 2017)

2 National Championship game appearances in football in the last 5 years....

FIRE JAY JACOBS THAT MORON!! HE HAS RUN OUR ENTIRE ATHLETIC PROGRAM INTO THE GROUND!!!!

Just stop people. Facts don't back up these arguments even in the slightest little bit.

Actually golf is #2 at this moment in Men's Golf and we were ranked #1 just 2 weeks ago. Gotta take care of my golf team

Smh

Figured you would

We need more institutional stability if we are going to be competitive in football or any sport.

This year our ladies soccer team is #8 in the nation (best ranking in the history of the program).

Ranked #1 in the SEC in recruiting rankings for basketball for 2016 and 2017 (#2 in nation for 2017)

FIRE JAY JACOBS THAT MORON!! HE HAS RUN OUR ENTIRE ATHLETIC PROGRAM INTO THE GROUND!!!!

Just stop people. Facts don't back up these arguments even in the slightest little bit.

Actually golf is #2 at this moment in Men's Golf and we were ranked #1 just 2 weeks ago. Gotta take care of my golf team

Smh

Figured you would

Lol I did that for you. I don't even know what you guys are talking about

JJ is out of his depth as AD and has been since day one. I think he got fortunate on the timing of the Myers and Pearl hires. Hopefully Gus can right the ship but let's face it- the two football HC hires JJ has made haven't been home run type moves.

The two football coaches he hired haven't been homerun hires? One won the first national championship AU has had in 50 years, plus an SEC championship. The second won an SEC champiponship and played in the NC game in his first year. If that ain't home run, WTH could possibly be?

About the "Bring in an outsider" idea, here's a quote for y'all: "If they think an Auburn Man can't do the job they should shut the damn place down."~~~Coach Shug Jordan, upon being told that the main obstacle to him getting the AU head coaching job in 1951 was that he was an Auburn man.

Is JJ perfect? No. Here's a clue...no other AD is either.

Thanks for that insight. I guess the Chiz hire was a different kind of home run than I'm used to. The jury is still out on Gus. Do I appreciate what those guys did for AU by bringing home a national championship and almost a second? Hell yes. I think the fact that one was fired after his 4th season and we are now having this discussion about the second says all you need to know about those hires. You can believe what you want and we can agree to disagree.

Is Jacobs the worse AD? if he isn't, then he's very very close to being the worst. Don't forget those big buyouts Jacobs hands out so freely and without a second thought.

I do. I always catch a couple of meets a year. If the SEC's or nationals are here I go to those too. I'll admit I went more frequently when AU was kickin' butt all over the place, but I still go.

Y'all should try it, you might like it!

Is Jacobs the worse AD? if he isn't, then he's very very close to being the worst. Don't forget those big buyouts Jacobs hands out so freely and without a second thought.

Dunno, hard to find objective measures of such things. :dunno:

well, there's this http://www.al.com/au...nue_record.html

For the people who want a CEO type--be careful what you wish for. Orsini at SMU was brought in from business and named the Mob Boss. That impersonal sucker was run off. Peterson at Texas was brought in to run them in a more business like way. The only people that hated him were donors, professors, players, coaches and fans. A little over a year later he is gone. This is not a pro sports cutthroat GM job.

Swimming had just opened a new heated outdoor practice facility before Marsh left. The competition pool is from 1993, however wtill good in enough in 2005 to hold the US open so i doubt he left because of facilities he wasnt getting. Thats very likely just a rumor. Swimming is on par now with Marsh's last few years where he averaged 6th and 8th in mens and womens :bs:In Marsh's last few years he was winning National Championships the last one we won was in 2009 in Mens and haven't really been that competitive at the NCAAs. I will grant that the men's team kept up the SEC Wins but the women have dropped off. I am a person who watches swimming. It is an interesting sport in my opinion. ...which is where we are now. The baseball hires are questionable, but were there more proven options at the time? There might have been but I am not a big baseball person except when I watched AU in college. So we agree on baseball being questionable, just not sure where we would have done better with a different AD.igence Maybe a better due diligence in hiring and checking out their background

JJ didnt simply raise the buyout and then fire the coaches either. Coaches were given contract extensions, which at the time were deserved Here is where I disagree. The coaches contracts are structured to gain more money for milestones an extension because of a good year is not justified because said coach is still under contract and if you want to do an extension do it when before the last year of the contract.. Fans at the time of these extensions agreed with them by and large. There was no poll taken from the Alumni nor fans concerning this and it was discussed on various boards. Thats our luxury as fans I suppose....agree at the time and then bash later when it doesn't work out.

No credit for the softball hire? The softball coach must have hired himself :dunno: No brainer when a great coach reaches out to you as the hiring authority. Yeah chalk it up to JJ to take the call but why did he wait so long to make the change? Did he make the change after he took the call? Who knows but we don't know for sure what exactly happened and when. so give that no brainer decision to JJ.

On ticket prices, yes they are too high. However, the season tickets sold out this year did they not? Thats just a free market economy at work. Any smart business person raises prices until they see negative effects and drops them back down to the best profit to price ratio. Right now, profit is increasing with ticket prices, so there is no need to drop them. When profits start to dwindle, ticket prices will come down. The ONLY fix for increasing ticket prices is to quit buying them. Thats not on JJ, thats on the fans for continuing to pay the high price. JJ shouldn't be expected to lose possible monetary income so people with less money can afford tickets. He is in a business for profit even though he technically works at a non-profit...(I wrote a long essay about this exact subject in college). Interesting take on this raise prices until people don't show up. I guess that is why he earns over a mil a year....oh and there are a few of his buddies making some good jack in the department but I digress and we really don't know what they do but travel around with athletes...

Long story short, could he have kept the coaches around for less money when he gave them contract extensions? Probably...but how much additional profit did we really see from two years of National Championship games throughout the entire years? I'm betting more than enough to cover the buyouts (whether or not the published profits shohw it or not which is a completely different discussion) ​So reverting back to your earlier statement "He is in a business for profit" He didn't do a good job of maximizing his profit with those extensions where he could have. So in saying this JJ can't have pluses in both columns of maximizes profits and contract extensions. We will disagree on how we think he is doing as the AD. I think we could do better but I am not on the BOT.

:wareagle:

Don't forget Soccer. AU Soccer is currently #8 in the Nation

The ticket prices are obnoxious. They've gone up every year regardless of performance from the prior year.

I started getting season tickets in 2009 with the understanding that constantly renewing them would gradually improve my seating.

2009-great seats for the first year! About 3/4 of the way up in the end zone

2010-better seats! A little more off to the corner and about half way up

2011-LITERALLY the top row in the end zone section. Although I have to admit having that high school scoreboard above my head provided shade and the wall was excellent back support.

2012- 2 rows lower than the top

2013-Top row. Corner.

2014-low upper deck

2015-mid upper deck

I'm not seeing any incentive to renew

The ticket prices are obnoxious. They've gone up every year regardless of performance from the prior year.

I started getting season tickets in 2009 with the understanding that constantly renewing them would gradually improve my seating.

2009-great seats for the first year! About 3/4 of the way up in the end zone

2010-better seats! A little more off to the corner and about half way up

2011-LITERALLY the top row in the end zone section. Although I have to admit having that high school scoreboard above my head provided shade and the wall was excellent back support.

2012- 2 rows lower than the top

2013-Top row. Corner.

2014-low upper deck

2015-mid upper deck

I'm not seeing any incentive to renew

That's a lot of moving around. Do you buy tickets at different times of year each year or as soon as they are up for sale? Could be the demand has risen and people are beating you to the better seats? Just curious is if whether this is done by random selection or based on when you buy the tickets. I got to travel too much lately and haven't seen the benefit of buying season tickets when I'll be out of town for most games so I'm unaware of the practice. Thanks

Starting in 2016 you will no longer be moved around like you have in the past. Ticket holders will actually be able to go online and choose to keep the seats they have already or move depending on how many TUF points you have. In essence you have more control over where you are located. Athletics purchased a new software system that allows the ticket holder to literally click on the seats that are available and lock them down when purchasing tickets (if you choose to move from where you are in 2015).

Let's see if I understand what I'm reading....

Ticket prices are so high that people are not buying them and staying home to watch the games.

People can't get decent ticket locations and have to sit on the back row in end zones.

Something does not compute ? :dunno:

Jay Jacobs must be the official scapegoat any time Auburn loses a game in any sport.

Yes...it's written into his contract....Athletic Director and Designated Scapegoat. Check his business card.

Meanwhile, what' wrong with the concert ? We have a billion dollar asset that can be used for many purposes...and yet we use it less than a dozen times a year for revenue producing functions. Why not use it the same as we do with the Arena.

JMO but as long as non-religious entertainment functions have equal access to the stadium, there should be no problem unless the school policy is to discriminate against religious groups.... or bow to

those who would have us do that.

Couldn't agree more. If bringing a religious group is economically feasible and we also bring in non religious groups that is a business decision not a support religion decision. Pearl is a JJ hire as is Malzan and Muschamp. I find it hard to believe that one of the top offensive minds in college football over last 10 years suddenly forgot how to coach O. Sometimes things happen. I do agree that you don't give a huge contract extension after the NC but remember many on this board who are now saying Guz has lost it were worrying about him going Pro and saying we had to be sure to find a way to keep him.

I am not a Jay Jacobs fan but if you want him gone at lease use logic for the reason you want him gone.

Jay did hire Pearl but did NOT hire Gus or Will. I know this as a fact. Jay did want Gus but had nothing to do with the hire but announce it.

Jay Jacobs must be the official scapegoat any time Auburn loses a game in any sport.

Yes...it's written into his contract....Athletic Director and Designated Scapegoat. Check his business card.

Meanwhile, what' wrong with the concert ? We have a billion dollar asset that can be used for many purposes...and yet we use it less than a dozen times a year for revenue producing functions. Why not use it the same as we do with the Arena.

JMO but as long as non-religious entertainment functions have equal access to the stadium, there should be no problem unless the school policy is to discriminate against religious groups.... or bow to

those who would have us do that.

Couldn't agree more. If bringing a religious group is economically feasible and we also bring in non religious groups that is a business decision not a support religion decision. Pearl is a JJ hire as is Malzan and Muschamp. I find it hard to believe that one of the top offensive minds in college football over last 10 years suddenly forgot how to coach O. Sometimes things happen. I do agree that you don't give a huge contract extension after the NC but remember many on this board who are now saying Guz has lost it were worrying about him going Pro and saying we had to be sure to find a way to keep him.

I am not a Jay Jacobs fan but if you want him gone at lease use logic for the reason you want him gone.

Jay did hire Pearl but did NOT hire Gus or Will. I know this as a fact. Jay did want Gus but had nothing to do with the hire but announce it.

As always, thanks for the info!

The two football coaches he hired haven't been homerun hires? One won the first national championship AU has had in 50 years, plus an SEC championship. The second won an SEC champiponship and played in the NC game in his first year. If that ain't home run, WTH could possibly be?

About the "Bring in an outsider" idea, here's a quote for y'all: "If they think an Auburn Man can't do the job they should shut the damn place down."~~~Coach Shug Jordan, upon being told that the main obstacle to him getting the AU head coaching job in 1951 was that he was an Auburn man.

Is JJ perfect? No. Here's a clue...no other AD is either.

So you're willing to give Jacobs credit for the success but less credit for the failures? Jacobs should also be given credit for hiring coaches that had the worst seasons in football and basketball history at Auburn. Jacobs has been making questionable hires since he's been the AD. On top of that he's been giving ridiculous buyouts and contracts that seem to end up having to be paid because the coach is let go.

You can point to other schools having buyouts too but those other schools aren't having to actually pay out all those buyouts at the rate we do because they don't get rid of as many coaches as we have under Jay Jacobs. Iowa had a ridiculous buyout for Kirk Ferentz but still haven't gotten rid of him. They haven't been getting rid of their other big sports coaches like we have. Iowa's basketball coach Fran McCafferty has been at Iowa 5 years and will likely be there for several more years because he's having success.

It's not as if it's just one coach that Jacobs hired that didn't work out. He's had several that didn't work out and most of those coaches had big buyouts and big pay for poor performances/results. That's the point that so many seem to dismiss or not want to believe.

Archived