Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

That would be so stupid. Fan base is already acting ap particular way about jj. If he could some how become the player we thought he was going to be he still couldn't carry this team. You wasted last game with him having a chance to knock any rust off and get into a rhythm, and gain any confidence. This would be the biggest set up job I've ever seen for a qb to fail. Only way jj should start is if sw shows he's not playing capable of the job. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED AT ALL. You'll lose a team like this

This would be stupid for SW. You pull the rug for under him. You never set him up for success really. You're pulling him without cause, how's that supposed to work with the rest of the team? You'll be ruining his confidence. He'll never believe in the coaching staff again. It would seem like Gus is blaming everybody but himself.

You're screwing the o line, ESPECIALLY center. You're screwing the wr's. You look indecisive as if you don't know what you're doing.

Add me to the chorus that is singing Amen to this post.

wde

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be so stupid. Fan base is already acting ap particular way about jj. If he could some how become the player we thought he was going to be he still couldn't carry this team. You wasted last game with him having a chance to knock any rust off and get into a rhythm, and gain any confidence. This would be the biggest set up job I've ever seen for a qb to fail. Only way jj should start is if sw shows he's not playing capable of the job. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED AT ALL. You'll lose a team like this

This would be stupid for SW. You pull the rug for under him. You never set him up for success really. You're pulling him without cause, how's that supposed to work with the rest of the team? You'll be ruining his confidence. He'll never believe in the coaching staff again. It would seem like Gus is blaming everybody but himself.

You're screwing the o line, ESPECIALLY center. You're screwing the wr's. You look indecisive as if you don't know what you're doing.

This is basically what I'm afraid of.

I mean, if we have players all over the team now thinking that some are getting playing time just because they're favorites, despite performance and effort, it will completely undermine any faith the players have that if they work hard and perform well, they'll see the field.

I've already said that I think SW should start and only be pulled if he performs poorly or the game is out of hand (either in UK's favor or ours).

I'm very happy that SW got his chance but he was not appointed "QB for life" unless I missed something. Plus, Gus, being Gus is not likely to give up on JJ because of just three games....at least I hope. Otherwise he's telling his players that they only get one chance....and if it does not work out, they are done.

JMO but until there is a clear leader for the QB slot, both guys should have a chance.....and the UK game is the best opportunity to put JJ back on the field and see if he's over the jitters or whatever was the problem.

PS..just saying that I'm fine with either guy at this point.....would like more than one look at JJ before moving him to TE as someone has suggested......wasn't that Urban's play for Cam at UF /.

I mean, if we have players all over the team now thinking that some are getting playing time just because they're favorites, despite performance and effort, it will completely undermine any faith the players have that if they work hard and perform well, they'll see the field.

I've already said that I think SW should start and only be pulled if he performs poorly or the game is out of hand (either in UK's favor or ours).

I'm very happy that SW got his chance but he was not appointed "QB for life" unless I missed something. Plus, Gus, being Gus is not likely to give up on JJ because of just three games....at least I hope. Otherwise he's telling his players that they only get one chance....and if it does not work out, they are done.

JMO but until there is a clear leader for the QB slot, both guys should have a chance.....and the UK game is the best opportunity to put JJ back on the field and see if he's over the jitters or whatever was the problem.

Except that JJ got 3 chances; and when SW came in, he did a good (not outstanding, but good) job. I agree that SW wasn't appointed QB for life. Absolutely. But has SW done anything on the field (or off) to warrant being replaced? If not, it looks like the coaches playing favorites -- which isn't a good look.

One thing about football, it can't work without order. It can actually work with a little favoritism, but not with any of that without production. We haven't performed well at all for that. Accountability has to start at top. Some may not agree but I think the team needs to see Gus rip into Rhett. We're horrible this year, there is no production only thing you can go by now is effort. Qb is a little different but you can't change without giving him an opportunity. You handcuff him to screens and sideline throws....You let him play. You let him try to fight through it if it goes bad then you judge accordingly.

Lastly you sent jj out there saying he's your qb there is no pulling even though we all knew he had to be thinking about it. You should give sw that same luxury psychologically. Stand behind him as well, important to a qb.

PS..just saying that I'm fine with either guy at this point.....would like more than one look at JJ before moving him to TE as someone has suggested......wasn't that Urban's play for Cam at UF /.

we just played san jose state............... that was the best chance to get him reps if Gus planned on bringing him back. Bringing him back for an SEC road night game is a horrible decision

Spoke to a baseball player the other day. Said he thought Coach Golloway was fine but was happy about the coaching move because it was kind of a new tryout for him toget some PT.... Players think about this stuff; it wouldn't surprise me for one second if we play favorites in a lot of positions and some players are PO'd at it

Hearing the JJ to start at UK is real. :dunno:/>

Did we not just learn a very important lesson about what happens when coaches play favorites? Well, maybe only some of us did... Damn.

Now where did I put that dumpster fire .jpg?

For the love of Aubie!!!

Do we even practice on Monday??? So what, his source was in the film room Sunday and JJ was answering all the right questions? Was he first to the trainers table Sunday?

wdewde may have a reputation of being in the know but this sounds like typical beer cooler men saying stuff just to be saying something. (Unless SW suffered an injury Saturday) OR wdewde has a sick since of humor it will be a horrible Jabari joke.

we just played san jose state............... that was the best chance to get him reps if Gus planned on bringing him back. Bringing him back for an SEC road night game is a horrible decision

So you don't think some AU fans would have booed if JJ had been announced as the QB? You know it would have happened.

JMO but the horrible decision would been to put JJ out there after SW played a fairly decent game the week before.....

I'm not pushing for it....just saying that it would not surprise me to see JJ start with a short leash.

Fully agree.

The only possible upside I see to starting JJ would be that if JJ goes total Heisman on UK and plays lights out football. Everything else is all downside and not worth the gamble.

Looking at it one way: JJ's potential is still off the charts. That's a lot of talent to have on the sideline. It makes a certain amount of sense to give him a couple of games off to think things through and then test the water to see if he's found his groove.

Whether this means he starts or not I can't guess, but it's only sensible to put him back out there for a trial run.

Looking at it one way: JJ's potential is still off the charts. That's a lot of talent to have on the sideline. It makes a certain amount of sense to give him a couple of games off to think things through and then test the water to see if he's found his groove.

Whether this means he starts or not I can't guess, but it's only sensible to put him back out there for a trial run.

I'm not opposed to him running a few series, but starting should be out of the question. That's effectively benching Sean White for doing everything that was asked of him.

Mikey, I think you and 64 are making some good points. I still wouldn't start JJ, and I wouldn't put him in unless SW doesn't perform well. I think cole is right about the message that would send to the team in general, and to SW in particular. JMO.

im not saying you are wrong, but if JJ starts ... I just really really really hope that you are.

im not saying you are wrong, but if JJ starts ... I just really really really hope that you are.

Totally agree with that.

Totally agree with that.

I think we all would agree.

wde

Jay Tate just made a very interesting comment about Jeremy Johnson on Cole Cubelic's radio show. He was talking about how weird Jeremy's problems this season are, and that "he's been doing things that he's never done before, and I've covered this kid since middle school. I've just never seen him do this stuff before... well, except for a little while in 10th grade, when he just lost his mind for a brief period or something." (I'm paraphrasing)

It was a very casual aside, but I thought that was really interesting that a guy in Tate's position has witnessed this from JJ before. We all know that players at all positions and in all sports go through spells where things just aren't right. And there was a big discussion about pulling Jeremy earlier in the season than Gus did. Some of us suggested that he didn't need to be permanently benched, but that he needed to step away for a bit to clear his head. I'm sure that's been rehashed in this thread somewhere, but I haven't been keeping up.

Anyway, just thought I'd share Tate's comments as maybe a glimmer of hope that Jeremy Johnson can be Jeremy ****ing Johnson again.

Well since this all just about opinions, I am all for JJ starting. I think he has more tools and potential than SW does (by far). I don't think SW is the QB of the future. I think we ride with JJ the remainder of the year and then that determines what has to be done in the offseason with transfers or junior college guys. Again just my opinion.

The only way starting JJ works out is if he plays the best game of his life and makes 0 mistakes. Anything other than perfection and Gus is an idiot who plays favorites with his players instead of playing who earns the time on the field through solid play.....but if JJ balls out like we thought he would in the pre-season then Gus is an expert QB coach who is legendary in his handling of QBs.

I personally don't understand the move but its Gus' butt that is on the line so he should go with what he things is best.

I would say that it is not out of the realm of possibility based on what I've heard.

The issue right now is that Sean, at this point in his career (RS Freshman) is in a place where his floor isn't as low as Jeremy's, but his ceiling isn't as high either. If Jeremy is right in the head, the offense has much more explosive potential. The question of course is - how do you know if he's right in the head without putting him out there?

Well since this all just about opinions, I am all for JJ starting. I think he has more tools and potential than SW does (by far). I don't think SW is the QB of the future. I think we ride with JJ the remainder of the year and then that determines what has to be done in the offseason with transfers or junior college guys. Again just my opinion.

I respect your opinion. Mine differs in the sense that I don't know if SW is the QB of the future and would prefer to trot him out there as long as he hasn't proven ineffective to see if he can be that Kyle Allen/Aaron Murray/Drew Brees that people have supposedly comped him to. Then, the same thing as you with JJ, if the potential doesn't show itself by season's end, hit that JuCo waiver wire.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how another QB change, either way, whether its to JJ, Jason Smith, or Casanova McKinzy, doesn't have a detrimental effect on the team. Gus needs to sack up, and name a starter for the rest of the season and stop with this "evaluating week to week" thing. That's supposed to be done March-August. In a season full of changes, if this offense is going to resemble any of its potential, it needs a constant at the QB position for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

What I'm more concerned with is behind Sean White is Tyler Queen, another "pro-style" QB. If Gus isn't comfortable anymore tailoring the offense around these type of guys (speculation on my part), why is he recruiting them? It's time for him to pick a system, no matter how "flexible" he thinks his offense is, actually recruit SKILL players at SKILL positions (no more playing plug and play with ATH at skill positions of need), and commit wholeheartedly for better or worse to what this offense is.

I would say that it is not out of the realm of possibility based on what I've heard.

The issue right now is that Sean, at this point in his career (RS Freshman) is in a place where his floor isn't as low as Jeremy's, but his ceiling isn't as high either. If Jeremy is right in the head, the offense has much more explosive potential. The question of course is -? how do you know if he's right in the head without putting him out there?

That's just it. You don't. Whatever the issue is, it is apparently undetectable in practice. At some point JJ will have to play.

I hope Jeremy gets his crap straight. Our offense is better when he plays how he is capable of playing. If he starts and lights it up that is awesome.

I respect your opinion. Mine differs in the sense that I don't know if SW is the QB of the future and would prefer to trot him out there as long as he hasn't proven ineffective to see if he can be that Kyle Allen/Aaron Murray/Drew Brees that people have supposedly comped him to. Then, the same thing as you with JJ, if the potential doesn't show itself by season's end, hit that JuCo waiver wire.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how another QB change, either way, whether its to JJ, Jason Smith, or Casanova McKinzy, doesn't have a detrimental effect on the team. Gus needs to sack up, and name a starter for the rest of the season and stop with this "evaluating week to week" thing. That's supposed to be done March-August. In a season full of changes, if this offense is going to resemble any of its potential, it needs a constant at the QB position for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

What I'm more concerned with is behind Sean White is Tyler Queen, another "pro-style" QB. If Gus isn't comfortable anymore tailoring the offense around these type of guys (speculation on my part), why is he recruiting them? It's time for him to pick a system, no matter how "flexible" he thinks his offense is, actually recruit SKILL players at SKILL positions (no more playing plug and play with ATH at skill positions of need), and commit wholeheartedly for better or worse to what this offense is.

Woody Barrett, a true dual-threat guy, has every bit as much of a chance of succeeding White as Queen does, if he ends up keeping his commitment.

EDIT: If JJ gets it together and ends back up as our starter, Barrett could succeed him for that matter.

Archived