Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's how I feel about the entire team...the spirited practice sort of irked me

Eh, the weather was nicer than it's been in awhile, they just won a game and were never really in trouble of losing it (unlike their 2 mediocre wins and of course the 2 losses where they never had a lead), "ALL" positions were up for grabs... could've been a lot of things. Also could've been Gus just trying to convince himself.

It wouldn't make me feel very good knowing that the leader of the team, a guy who had been holding the keys to the castle from the moment the clock hit zero in our bowl game, could be so completely shaken by a WR with a bad attitude.

If Johnson rebounds, I'm going to hope that his problems had very little to do with Williams.

My thoughts too, in addition I wonder about JJ's leadership in not being able to turn DW into a productive part of this offense. I know CDC is his position coach, but being his roommate I would have hoped some of JJ's personality and enthusiasm for this team would have had a positive affect on DW.

Worry about jj not being able to turn duke into a productive part of the offense?

Maybe I should have said a more team oriented player instead of a productive part of the offense. The point is, instead of DW affecting JJ's outlook, maybe JJ could have affected DW's.

@AUGoldMine: Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the off week: "We decided this week that ALL positions are open to competition."

Including QB!?

Lordy Mercy!

Are the coaching positions up for competition too? I'd like to see what Coach Craig can muster up on offense. :popcorn:

It wouldn't make me feel very good knowing that the leader of the team, a guy who had been holding the keys to the castle from the moment the clock hit zero in our bowl game, could be so completely shaken by a WR with a bad attitude.

If Johnson rebounds, I'm going to hope that his problems had very little to do with Williams.

My thoughts too, in addition I wonder about JJ's leadership in not being able to turn DW into a productive part of this offense. I know CDC is his position coach, but being his roommate I would have hoped some of JJ's personality and enthusiasm for this team would have had a positive affect on DW.

In all fairness, these guys are all college kids. Most of us who went through college had a bad decision spell that we had to learn from. Some are worse than others. Mine was year 1 but I was pretty wild in high school. For someone that wasn't wild in high school it could easily be year 3 before you finally let your guard down and begin focusing more on having fun than what you should be. Again, happens to most people at some point. Lucky for me I wasn't a Heisman possibility when I was being stupid so I got away with it. JJs issues may not be the same, but seeing how DW seemed to love the bars and he was JJs roommate, I wouldn't say it's too far fetched. Probably still a good kid who needed a wake up call if I had to guess. Hopefully he'll come back to center.

I liked the overall movement of the offense with Sean, but I liked the downfield approach better with JJ. I liked JJ more in the pocket as he had more vision(6' 6") and seem he looked more at ease. Sean looked better rolling out than JJ, and Sean looked more capable on the zone read should we decide to go back and use it.

But if we decide to pass more, I feel better with JJ... If he can shake the doubt

I like the downfield passing with SW just fine personally. For some reason people overlook how often he goes deep because receivers aren't catching the ball. In the last game he threw a total of 10 passes. 4 were deep balls. 2 were on the money, 1 was either a yard off or a miscommunication and 1 was overthrown. Of the 2 on the money, only 1 was caught. Duke flailed on the other. Smith would have caught the 3rd if he had seen the ball coming sooner. So if we had top notch receiver play he would have completed 3 of 4 deep balls in 10 passes. 40 percent of his passes were deep balls and he threw them well enough that he should have definitely completed 50 percent of those if not 75 percent. That's a pretty high percentage IYAM.

Again, agree to disagree. I trust the info I have. I really don't get the way some of you guys view SW. If SW had shown glimpses of potential, I would be ecstatic. And don't give me, he's played just two games. If I remember correctly, JJ played 2 and a half games before this year, and he looked pretty good and showed glimpses of something special. I don't see any of that from SW. Again, I know JJ has struggled this year, which is an understatement. However, he has the most potential out of the two, bar none. Hence why the coaches haven't put their faith in SW. I think it makes perfect sense why they benched JJ these last two games. In the MSU game, if JJ made the interception instead of SW on the first drive, how much booing would you hear from OUR CROWD? Putting SW allowed people to forgive the mistakes SW made. The coaches are really wanting JJ to regain his confidence back. And the hatred that he has received from our fans, I don't blame them for not letting him QB at home. Yes, SW had a limited playbook, but from what I"ve been told, it's because the coaches are not sold on SW. So, again, you go back on who do you think has more potential? The coaches want to win. They know they can't lose these next two SEC games, as well as they have to be competitive against the big boys. IF JJ has his head straight, he can give us that. SW is limited, sorry, it's true. Again, I'm not apologizing for what JJ has done this fall thus far, but I'm no fool either. I see, as the coaches do, what he can do IF he corrects his mistakes. I don't get the SW love at all. He plays hard and is confident. OK, so do a few other guys on our team, but no one talks about them as much as you guys foam all over SW. I don't care about who the player is, I look at if that guy can make plays. And obviously the coaches think that way as well. I just want Auburn to turn it around. If it's so clear that SW is the best QB, why not name him the starter tonight? Again, IF JJ continues improving, like he has done these past two weeks, he will be starting against Kentucky. I am assuming there will be a meltdown. If he doesn't do well at first, then yea, they'll put SW in. It is what it is though....

I really don't get the way some of you guys view SW: I view him as a redshirt freshman who hasn't thrown 4 interceptions in 2 games.

If SW had shown glimpses of potential, I would be ecstatic: Statistically he's been better than Jeremy Johnson. http://espn.go.com/c...am/stats/_/id/2 Sixty-three percent of Jeremy's yards in 53 percent of the pass attempts. More yards/attempt as well, higher rating, less interceptions (oh, I get they're very close...i mean 1 YPA more...big whoop, right? But if beating the guy you replaced in almost every facet of the game except TDs, which you stated is because he has a limited playbook, doesn't show potential, then I don't know what does. Methinks, a personal bias on your end is present here)

However, he has the most potential out of the two, bar none: This is casually being thrown out there around the board. How do we know? Jeremy looked awesome against Arkansas in 2014? He's built more like a Gus QB? That being said, all the potential in the world won't bring you championships. You have to show it. A 2 ton rock technically has more potential stored up than I do, but I put odds on me in a 40-yd dash.

if JJ made the interception instead of SW on the first drive, how much booing would you hear from OUR CROWD: A bunch. Because we've seen it a lot this year. It was an anomaly at the time for Sean, and after 120 minutes of game time played for him, it still is

And the hatred that he has received from our fan: Haven't seen much "hatred" but then again, I'm not sure your perception of it. I've seen a bunch of frustrated people with all positions on the field. QB is in the limelight a lot more, so proportionally, I would say the QB always receives the most frustration when there are offensive woes. I like Jeremy. From all accounts, he's a hard worker, team player, great in practice...but so are possibly 63 other guys on this team that lay it on the line every day at practice and don't reap the rewards of a gameday down.

the coaches are not sold on SW: Are they sold on the alternative?

who do you think has more potential: I'd rather answer go with who appears to pass the eye test on the field, and I got to give that edge to Sean White

They know they can't lose these next two SEC games, as well as they have to be competitive against the big boys: They've lost the first two. What's stopping them from losing the next 2?

IF JJ has his head straight: Placing these next two games that we "can't lose" on the mental stability of someone who has proven shaky at best. Worked out well for Kiehl Frazier (no knock on Kiehl, I was his biggest proponent on these boards in 2012. He just lacked what 99.999 percent of people lack: the ability to hack it in the SEC as a QB. No shame at all there, I applaud the efforts he gave the team while he was here)

foam all over SW: Again, please direct me to a post or link where this has happened. The kid's been a game manager so far at best. I'm not sure he's capable of winning us games with his arm even. But he generally recognizes linebackers are adversarial to his goals as a QB

I don't care about who the player is, I look at if that guy can make plays: And you have concluded that Jeremy Johnson is more of a playmaker than Sean White is? Based on?

And obviously the coaches think that way as well: I may be dense, but this isn't obvious to me at all. So the coaches benched a guy who can make plays for a redshirt freshman? And now that the RS freshman held his own/arguably outperformed the original guy, the coaches are benching another guy who can make plays for the original guy who could make plays? Makes sense...

If it's so clear that SW is the best QB, why not name him the starter tonight: Insert JJ for Sean White. Still would not be an answer to this question. Which again is what makes the switch puzzling.

I am assuming there will be a meltdown: I mean, I'm gonna be honest here. If a linebacker in a Kentucky jersey has more targets than our leading receiver, then yes I probably will have a meltdown. Especially since this time around we seem to be trading a used Pinto for a Lamborghini in the QB spot.

All in all, I don't care who starts, but there will come a time when this "potential" charade has to stop and JJ is going to have to put all his chips on the table in a game environment. I hope like hell he can do it, I really do. Last I checked, on Sunday in the paper Sean White or JJ aren't listed in the SEC standings. AUBURN is. And every week we keep this "evaluating" going on in the QB position is another week we potentially hamstring ourself in that position going into Spring Practice and next season. Make a decision Gus. Make it final. Make it now. Just win, baby.

EDIT: Also, Auburnguy101, not attacking you or your source here at all. I believe every bit of it. I just don't buy all this stuff we're getting fed. Personally, I think the shorthand reason why, if this switch is made, Jeremy will get the job back isn't stats or good practices, but simply because...he's Gus's guy.

Spot on. Not sure why the negatively about SW. Coaches not sold on him? Really? Coaches need to get their act together or their arrogance and pride will destroy them. SW is an AU man too!

Spot on. Not sure why the negatively about SW. Coaches not sold on him? Really? Coaches need to get their act together or their arrogance and pride will destroy them. SW is an AU man too!

Pride, arrogance and desperation. Going with Sean White would be to admit defeat in so many ways and they just can't bring themselves to do it.

Pride, arrogance and desperation. Going with Sean White would be to admit defeat in so many ways and they just can't bring themselves to do it.

And pride comes before the fall ...

If jeremy can run, which i think he has the capability to do, then I believe he should play. i have been pleased with how Sean has played and handled the boring playcalling. he could've easily hung his head after that first drive against MSU but he kept fighting the entire game. and he gets extremely excited about big plays and scores - something i love to see out of anyone but especially the player who is supposed to be leading the offense.

while auburn has decent receivers, their talent is mostly in the backfield. in order to be successful moving forward auburn should stick to what their strength is (and has been) and run the ball 50 times a game:

20 to peyton

10 to roc

10 to kerryon

10 to QB keep and receiver sweeps

whoever can best run this offense, let them start. I had to post this because i've been thinking about it all week and no one irl wants to talk auburn with me this week lol

Just a reminder that the coaches have seen a lot more of both QBs than any of us have. ......like it or not, there is more to this business than what we see in the games.

Just a reminder that the coaches have seen a lot more of both QBs than any of us have. ......like it or not, there is more to this business than what we see in the games.

I think you are wrong here. What they do in a game is what counts. Over the years I have seen great practice QB's who don't play well in games and poor practice QB's who play well in games and I have seen QB's who are great in practice and in games. How they play in games is what counts.

All things being equal not related to what happens in a game....effort, no discipline problems, academics, etc., then how a player performs in the actual game is the only thing that matters.

wde

All things being equal not related to what happens in a game....effort, no discipline problems, academics, etc., then how a player performs in the actual game is the only thing that matters.

wde

Right then there are plenty of variables in a game....

And pride comes before the fall ...

Now that is dramatic!

Good grief!!!! I have never seen so many quotes of quotes of quotes. I think the mods need to limit these quotes to about 25% of what they are now. It is like reading a Chinese novel with your eyes closed!! After reading about 4 of these, I have to stop and close my eyes and dream of our 2010 NC.

Good grief!!!! I have never seen so many quotes of quotes of quotes. I think the mods need to limit these quotes to about 25% of what they are now. It is like reading a Chinese novel with your eyes closed!! After reading about 4 of these, I have to stop and close my eyes and dream of our 2010 NC.

People could also actually learn how to cut them down. It's not that difficult to figure out.

I think you are wrong here. What they do in a game is what counts. Over the years I have seen great practice QB's who don't play well in games and poor practice QB's who play well in games and I have seen QB's who are great in practice and in games. How they play in games is what counts.

Interesting. I think 64 is completely right that there's more to naming the starter than what we see in the games. I also think he's right that the coaches have seen more of both players than any of us. That's not to say that what they do in the games doesn't matter. It's also not to say that other emotions won't factor into their decision. I thought it was a pretty uncontroversial post.

:dunno:

Interesting. I think 64 is completely right that there's more to naming the starter than what we see in the games. I also think he's right that the coaches have seen more of both players than any of us. That's not to say that what they do in the games doesn't matter. It's also not to say that other emotions won't factor into their decision. I thought it was a pretty uncontroversial post.

Maybe some examples would be in order? Ultimately, all things being equal, the W-L record is the primary indicator of a program's success and that's perfectly apparent on the field of play. The decision process is of particular interest in this case where the coaching staff seems convinced that one player is so much better than another and yet is not playing him.

Maybe some examples would be in order? Ultimately, all things being equal, the W-L record is the primary indicator of a program's success and that's perfectly apparent on the field of play. The decision process is of particular interest in this case where the coaching staff seems convinced that one player is so much better than another and yet is not playing him.

Like ( :poke: maybe) for instance how starting JJ....who's not lived up to his press this year, and who's utterly failed under pressure, and has not been executing the tasks at hand (going through reads, making good passes, running like a girl.... would be like starting another D'haquille Williams all over again. Not that he's a brawler, heaven help himself if he was, but rather starting in place of someone who's willing to do what it takes to get the job done. And without letting his teammates down.

We will see JJ at the game with UK. He will be on the sideline watching and following what SW is doing on the field.

Archived