Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

Sean White was never given an opportunity to succeed ...they limited him in everything..preparation, play calling and support. When he came in the team was already headed down hill. How can he shine if you don't give him a real chance?

We've heard Gus say...Sean knows the whole playbook no doubt about it.

Well the playbook must be

a few pages because that's all the OC has called for him.

So the last two games have been what? A project or just get us by til Jeremy gets his head right?

They put all their eggs in Jeremy's basket. And they haven't hatched yet.

Sean was never given a chance wuth "the playbook".

IMO .to the posters who think otherwise ...Sean will be very good at Auburn if he stays!

People are saying that but we don't really know what the plan was for SW right now. For all we know, the plan was for SW to be a place-holder.....like is done when a starter get's hurt.

I'm still thinking that in his mind...JJ is Gus's QB and it is going to take more than a couple bad games to make him change his opinion. JJ has a huge upside and i just can't imagine Gus and RL writing him off now.....without more evidence that he is not going to make it.

Folks, we need to try and put ourselves in Gus's mind when discussing this....not just suggesting what "we" would do if we were calling the shots.

I agree with you AU64. I'm no JJ apologist, was never buying the Heisman hype around him, and he has had many bad bad bad moments this season. However, like you said, and from what I'm told, SW has been a stand-in while JJ gets his head straight. As much as many want to bash JJ and his abilities, the coaches believe he has the most upside, and with that, believe we can turn this season around still IF JJ has his head straight. People wondering why if he was going to play why not these past two games. Well, how do you think the reception would be at home to him playing QB? Not good, and probably a lot of booing. And as discussed, JJ needs to have more confidence, and starting him at UK sounds much better, where he can start over. And it's ludicrous for some of you saying if he isn't perfect, he should be benched. Would you say that about SW if he had the kind of games like JJ, and was given another shot? I highly doubt that. The coaches know JJ's potential, and they want to see if he's corrected his mistakes. Look, if JJ continues to do the same things he did in the last three games, and I'm not talking about an interception here or there, but not seeing or reading the defense, then yes, he will be pulled. But, any reasonable person would give JJ a second opportunity to prove himself. If he doesn't, then yes, SW will start for the remainder of the year. My .2 cents anyways...

Did Gus let SW in on his plan that SW was just a fill in until Gus decided JJ's head was on straight?

wde

I guess told him what he thought he ought to know...that's why he gets the big bucks after all.

If your and Auburnguy101 theory is true, then IMO, Gus has totally screwed this situation up. If JJ is and always has been his QB, then Gus should have just stuck with him and not benched him to begin with. Instead, Gus started SW who has played the position through 2 games better than JJ with which seems to be a far more limited playbook. Now, if Gus benches SW because Gus has decided JJ's therapy session is over, he just totally treated SW in a very dishonest way (if Gus did not tell SW that was the plan from the beginning).

wde

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see there's a chance of Jeremy returning at some point, we need him if we're gonna put up real points on Alabama, OM and TAMU. I just don't feel like Gus is going to unleash the playbook with Sean frankly. At least we seen Gus try in the LSU 2nd half (RIP Duke), I expect that effort more often with Jeremy

So I am not sure if I can post this idea or not, so delete this is not appropriate. I believe I read somewhere that Duke was JJ's roommate. Is there a probability that Duke "threatened" JJ to get passes to him. I know this is completely from left field, but that would make sense as to why JJ looked so bad the first three games. Staring down receivers, throwing into coverage...etc. I wonder with Duke not being on the team any longer would relieve any unneeded stress from JJ and let him be the qb that we saw against Arkansas in 2014.

Sean White was never given an opportunity to succeed ...they limited him in everything..preparation, play calling and support. When he came in the team was already headed down hill. How can he shine if you don't give him a real chance?

So the last two games have been what? A project or just get us by til Jeremy gets his head right?

IMO .to the posters who think otherwise ...Sean will be very good at Auburn if he stays!

People are saying that but we don't really know what the plan was for SW right now. For all we know, the plan was for SW to be a place-holder.....like is done when a starter get's hurt.

I'm still thinking that in his mind...JJ is Gus's QB and it is going to take more than a couple bad games to make him change his opinion. JJ has a huge upside and i just can't imagine Gus and RL writing him off now.....without more evidence that he is not going to make it.

Folks, we need to try and put ourselves in Gus's mind when discussing this....not just suggesting what "we" would do if we were calling the shots.

I agree with you AU64. I'm no JJ apologist, was never buying the Heisman hype around him, and he has had many bad bad bad moments this season. However, like you said, and from what I'm told, SW has been a stand-in while JJ gets his head straight. As much as many want to bash JJ and his abilities, the coaches believe he has the most upside, and with that, believe we can turn this season around still IF JJ has his head straight. People wondering why if he was going to play why not these past two games. Well, how do you think the reception would be at home to him playing QB? Not good, and probably a lot of booing. And as discussed, JJ needs to have more confidence, and starting him at UK sounds much better, where he can start over. And it's ludicrous for some of you saying if he isn't perfect, he should be benched. Would you say that about SW if he had the kind of games like JJ, and was given another shot? I highly doubt that. The coaches know JJ's potential, and they want to see if he's corrected his mistakes. Look, if JJ continues to do the same things he did in the last three games, and I'm not talking about an interception here or there, but not seeing or reading the defense, then yes, he will be pulled. But, any reasonable person would give JJ a second opportunity to prove himself. If he doesn't, then yes, SW will start for the remainder of the year. My .2 cents anyways...

Did Gus let SW in on his plan that SW was just a fill in until Gus decided JJ's head was on straight?

wde

I guess told him what he thought he ought to know...that's why he gets the big bucks after all.

If your and Auburnguy101 theory is true, then IMO, Gus has totally screwed this situation up. If JJ is and always has been his QB, then Gus should have just stuck with him and not benched him to begin with. Instead, Gus started SW who has played the position through 2 games better than JJ with which seems to be a far more limited playbook. Now, if Gus benches SW because Gus has decided JJ's therapy session is over, he just totally treated SW in a very dishonest way (if Gus did not tell SW that was the plan from the beginning).

wde

Whole lot of assuming going on in here....

wde

wde

I agree, but supposedly Auburnguy101's info is from the inside.

wde

wde

wde

I don't agree....seems that most of the football players are far more mature than the people that post here....many of whom seem to be of the school that "if things don't go my way"..."I'm going to transfer".

These guys know that everyone can't start and that the starting line-up is different about every week at most schools. Most kids just practice hard, hope the chance comes and then go out and do their best when the opportunity arises....and I expect most of them know that there is no "right" to start and the coaches do what they think is in the best interest of the team.

Back when JJ got benched, he got slammed by many fans on this board over his answer about what he would do if he was benched.....like it or not, he basically indicated he would take it like a man and do what's best for the team.....rather than threaten to quit or mentally pack his bags. He knew it was coming and it was cold question IMO...but JJ gave the correct answer.

So many people are willing to give druggies multiple chances to get back on the team but are unwilling to give a young QB a second chance to lead the team after a few bad games.....strange values IMO.

wde

wde

Not really. Just relaying from what I've been told. You can take it or leave it, no hard feelings...

wde

wde

I don't agree....seems that most of the football players are far more mature than the people that post here....many of whom seem to be of the school that "if things don't go my way"..."I'm going to transfer".

These guys know that everyone can't start and that the starting line-up is different about every week at most schools. Most kids just practice hard, hope the chance comes and then go out and do their best when the opportunity arises....and I expect most of them know that there is no "right" to start and the coaches do what they think is in the best interest of the team.

Back when JJ got benched, he got slammed by many fans on this board over his answer about what he would do if he was benched.....like it or not, he basically indicated he would take it like a man and do what's best for the team.....rather than threaten to quit or mentally pack his bags. He knew it was coming and it was cold question IMO...but JJ gave the correct answer.

So many people are willing to give druggies multiple chances to get back on the team but are unwilling to give a young QB a second chance to lead the team after a few bad games.....strange values IMO.

I am not questioning how JJ handled the situation at all. I am questioning Gus.

wde

So I am not sure if I can post this idea or not, so delete this is not appropriate. I believe I read somewhere that Duke was JJ's roommate. Is there a probability that Duke "threatened" JJ to get passes to him. I know this is completely from left field, but that would make sense as to why JJ looked so bad the first three games. Staring down receivers, throwing into coverage...etc. I wonder with Duke not being on the team any longer would relieve any unneeded stress from JJ and let him be the qb that we saw against Arkansas in 2014.

Come on man...

That would be so stupid. Fan base is already acting ap particular way about jj. If he could some how become the player we thought he was going to be he still couldn't carry this team. You wasted last game with him having a chance to knock any rust off and get into a rhythm, and gain any confidence. This would be the biggest set up job I've ever seen for a qb to fail. Only way jj should start is if sw shows he's not playing capable of the job. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED AT ALL. You'll lose a team like this

This would be stupid for SW. You pull the rug for under him. You never set him up for success really. You're pulling him without cause, how's that supposed to work with the rest of the team? You'll be ruining his confidence. He'll never believe in the coaching staff again. It would seem like Gus is blaming everybody but himself.

You're screwing the o line, ESPECIALLY center. You're screwing the wr's. You look indecisive as if you don't know what you're doing.

Funny... I kind of felt this way about us benching Johnson to begin with...

Come on man...

Chris Carter says it better. You have to add emphasis to the man part. Like "kuh-mon-mayne."

Come on man...

Chris Carter says it better. You have to add emphasis to the man part. Like "kuh-mon-mayne."

That's when I then get hit with the did you graduate college post lol

Come on man...

Maybe it was a thought that was better left to myself, but if JJ does start against KY and comes out like he did against Arkansas 2014, it will make you wonder...

If they are competing and JJ looks best I would go with white starting. Then on the first 3rd and 2 or less I run JJ out so UK digs in for a QB keeper and throw it. If it connects JJ stays in.

There's a problem with your plan...

?

I think it was a joke that we don't ever get into 3rd and short situations. A cruel, cruel joke.

i thought so but we have plenty. just might take too long into the game, i guess.

Well, it was originally meant as a jokish comment on our penchant for 3rd and 9s. Until I looked it up. Against our 2 SEC opponents, 3rd and 2 or less has happened a grand total of..........

....3 times. All against MSU. That includes a third and goal play at the 1yd line. Anyone remember that play? Can't seem to remember what happened there...

I say we let the Head Coach play the guy he thinks gives AU the best chance at winning. JMHO

For everyone losing their marbles about JJ likely starting vs UK, let's talk about the reasoning and logic behind this, and other tidbits that I have gathered from people I know in the AD. First, if I am to believe many of the optimists around here, the season is still not a lost. And don't you think the coaches feel that way as well? I mean, Gus has made some bone-headed decisions with his play-calling, but I'm sure him and every other coach still believe they can turn this around, or at least they better, or they all deserve to get fired. So, that brings us to these last two games. From what I know, benching JJ was a short-term solution in the beginning, meaning SW was never considered really being a long-term starter. Gus wanted JJ to clear his head, and from what I'm told, JJ has worked his butt off since he's been benched and has been positive throughout this whole ordeal. If you haven't noticed, it's why we have been very simple on offense with SW, asking him to not lose instead of to win ball games for us. How many throws has SW thrown over 10-15 yards in those two games? I can only count a handful. Gus went really conservative, and wanted to see how JJ would respond. Which brings us to why JJ over SW makes more sense in the long run. Yes, I agree, SW hasn't been a total bust, far from it, but neither has he done anything to "win" the job, per say. The coaches know that we are limited with SW on offense, regarding big plays. However, JJ, IF, I mean a BIG IF, gets his head right, the coaches know that we can compete in every game this year. I know it appears I have criticized SW about his play, but I never said he was horrible, just thought he wasn't good enough right now to take our offense to the next level. And the coaches believe that JJ has the higher ceiling, by far, than SW, hence the reason why they benched him these last two games and have him come in for the UK game. By the way, who's to say that the players don't know this already?? My inside info and .2 cents, FWIW

I'm not sure if this information is real or a misinformation campaign from your AD contact. What coach in his right mind would bench his starting QB, if he believes in him, when the next opponent is a SEC foe? If we loose that game (which we did) we are out of the running for the SEC West title. This seems like revisionist logic, I'm not buying it.

I just want to say I can't believe we are even here. I NEVER would have imagined this before the season

Come on man...

That's when I then get hit with the did you graduate college post lol

And then I go high and you go low and we will take him down. Ryan Pugh has taught me well.

I just want to say I can't believe we are even here. I NEVER would have imagined this before the season

Not even those most skeptical of Jeremy's experience level did. It's all pretty bewildering. But, again, at least 2012 just happened a few years ago. We know the drill.

For everyone losing their marbles about JJ likely starting vs UK, let's talk about the reasoning and logic behind this, and other tidbits that I have gathered from people I know in the AD. First, if I am to believe many of the optimists around here, the season is still not a lost. And don't you think the coaches feel that way as well? I mean, Gus has made some bone-headed decisions with his play-calling, but I'm sure him and every other coach still believe they can turn this around, or at least they better, or they all deserve to get fired. So, that brings us to these last two games. From what I know, benching JJ was a short-term solution in the beginning, meaning SW was never considered really being a long-term starter. Gus wanted JJ to clear his head, and from what I'm told, JJ has worked his butt off since he's been benched and has been positive throughout this whole ordeal. If you haven't noticed, it's why we have been very simple on offense with SW, asking him to not lose instead of to win ball games for us. How many throws has SW thrown over 10-15 yards in those two games? I can only count a handful. Gus went really conservative, and wanted to see how JJ would respond. Which brings us to why JJ over SW makes more sense in the long run. Yes, I agree, SW hasn't been a total bust, far from it, but neither has he done anything to "win" the job, per say. The coaches know that we are limited with SW on offense, regarding big plays. However, JJ, IF, I mean a BIG IF, gets his head right, the coaches know that we can compete in every game this year. I know it appears I have criticized SW about his play, but I never said he was horrible, just thought he wasn't good enough right now to take our offense to the next level. And the coaches believe that JJ has the higher ceiling, by far, than SW, hence the reason why they benched him these last two games and have him come in for the UK game. By the way, who's to say that the players don't know this already?? My inside info and .2 cents, FWIW

I'm not sure if this information is real or a misinformation campaign from your AD contact. What coach in his right mind would bench his starting QB, if he believes in him, when the next opponent is a SEC foe? If we loose that game (which we did) we are out of the running for the SEC West title. This seems like revisionist logic, I'm not buying it.

Like I said, believe what you want. I trust the person who's told me this information. And FYI, you see many coaches pull their QBs when they're struggling. Honestly, I thought they gave up on him too quickly, but they thought that JJ needed a break and regain his confidence. Again though, I'm going with my information, you believe what you want. I'm just relaying the information I've heard...

^I fully believe that Jeremy needed to be pulled, and I fully believe that there's a chance his head will be right if and when he goes back in. I have no problem with the strategy as described above.

The question is who will start the game not who will finish the game. JJ did not play well in any of the games he played in. Looked a little better in 2nf half against LSU when they had their subs in and no pressure. SW played like the old style Bama QB's he managed the games but did nothing spectacular. Based on that SW starts the game as long as he is not hurting us he plays the whole game. Now we get to also find out who wants to be a receiver. Last year Sammie's ability to open up the field helped NM and Williams. With Sammie gone and now Williams it is time the others stepped up. RL Gimpy has been our best receiver hopefully the two weeks will allow him to get healthy. Smith, Truitt and others have to get open and catch any ball that touches both hands whether a great throw or not. Without receivers helping their QB it doesn't matter who is QB then we have to hope we can win by running alone and that is tough if not impossible in the SEC especially if receivers don't block downfield to help the running game.

^I fully believe that Jeremy needed to be pulled, and I fully believe that there's a chance his head will be right if and when he goes back in. I have no problem with the strategy as described above.

I'll wish him the best, but all of that pressure that would be on him EVERY single throw? Just don't see it ending up good

Archived