Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

^I fully believe that Jeremy needed to be pulled, and I fully believe that there's a chance his head will be right if and when he goes back in. I have no problem with the strategy as described above.

I'll wish him the best, but all of that pressure that would be on him EVERY single throw? Just don't see it ending up good

I don't see any of this ending up good. /sadtrombone

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I fully believe that Jeremy needed to be pulled, and I fully believe that there's a chance his head will be right if and when he goes back in. I have no problem with the strategy as described above.

:thumbsup:

I've pulled my #1 pitcher from a game early many a time. Usually three days of rest and he gets it back together. Neither he nor his reliever thought the situation or the world had been turned upside down. JJ and Sean are both old enough to understand that maybe JJ needed some bench time and when the coaches decided enough time had passed, JJ would return to the field and Sean to the bench.

I think most people that have played competitive sports would understand this concept. If these guys had eggshell thin mentalities they wouldn't have made it this far. I doubt that either of them will be mentally ruined for life regardless of who starts Saturday.

Just operating on hunch like everyone else but I think we see JJ get another shot at Kentucky. He has obviously showed them something in the previous seasons and in practice to make them think he is our best option. If they do that though, it won't be because he is the annointed one though. I think coaches think more about winning and keeping their jobs than they do about stuff like that. And we damn sure need this win at Kentucky..

At this point, whoever starts against UK, I just truly hope that the coaches go all out!!! Let's face it, our season really hangs on this Kentucky game. Win that one convincingly, without Duke, and you build confidence for the remainder of the season. It's time throw cuation to the wind, and start the QB that gives us the best chance to win. SW can be that guy, but Gus and Rhett have to believe in him and let him play HIS game. JJ could be that guy, too, and also deserves coaches that are confident in him and let him do his thing!! If we go into Lexington and play cautious, conservative pansy-ass football like the last two weeks, we will be in trouble.

Let's go, Gus!!! It's a new day on the Plains, so let's hammer down and start kicking ass!!!! War Eagle!!

i like your enthusiasm :bananadance:

For everyone losing their marbles about JJ likely starting vs UK, let's talk about the reasoning and logic behind this, and other tidbits that I have gathered from people I know in the AD. First, if I am to believe many of the optimists around here, the season is still not a lost. And don't you think the coaches feel that way as well? I mean, Gus has made some bone-headed decisions with his play-calling, but I'm sure him and every other coach still believe they can turn this around, or at least they better, or they all deserve to get fired. So, that brings us to these last two games. From what I know, benching JJ was a short-term solution in the beginning, meaning SW was never considered really being a long-term starter. Gus wanted JJ to clear his head, and from what I'm told, JJ has worked his butt off since he's been benched and has been positive throughout this whole ordeal. If you haven't noticed, it's why we have been very simple on offense with SW, asking him to not lose instead of to win ball games for us. How many throws has SW thrown over 10-15 yards in those two games? I can only count a handful. Gus went really conservative, and wanted to see how JJ would respond. Which brings us to why JJ over SW makes more sense in the long run. Yes, I agree, SW hasn't been a total bust, far from it, but neither has he done anything to "win" the job, per say. The coaches know that we are limited with SW on offense, regarding big plays. However, JJ, IF, I mean a BIG IF, gets his head right, the coaches know that we can compete in every game this year. I know it appears I have criticized SW about his play, but I never said he was horrible, just thought he wasn't good enough right now to take our offense to the next level. And the coaches believe that JJ has the higher ceiling, by far, than SW, hence the reason why they benched him these last two games and have him come in for the UK game. By the way, who's to say that the players don't know this already?? My inside info and .2 cents, FWIW

I'm not sure if this information is real or a misinformation campaign from your AD contact. What coach in his right mind would bench his starting QB, if he believes in him, when the next opponent is a SEC foe? If we loose that game (which we did) we are out of the running for the SEC West title. This seems like revisionist logic, I'm not buying it.

Like I said, believe what you want. I trust the person who's told me this information. And FYI, you see many coaches pull their QBs when they're struggling. Honestly, I thought they gave up on him too quickly, but they thought that JJ needed a break and regain his confidence. Again though, I'm going with my information, you believe what you want. I'm just relaying the information I've heard...

I don't understand why they wouldn't actively try to beat MSU with Sean though. The playcalling made it clear they were not trying to win the game!!

For everyone losing their marbles about JJ likely starting vs UK, let's talk about the reasoning and logic behind this, and other tidbits that I have gathered from people I know in the AD. First, if I am to believe many of the optimists around here, the season is still not a lost. And don't you think the coaches feel that way as well? I mean, Gus has made some bone-headed decisions with his play-calling, but I'm sure him and every other coach still believe they can turn this around, or at least they better, or they all deserve to get fired. So, that brings us to these last two games. From what I know, benching JJ was a short-term solution in the beginning, meaning SW was never considered really being a long-term starter. Gus wanted JJ to clear his head, and from what I'm told, JJ has worked his butt off since he's been benched and has been positive throughout this whole ordeal. If you haven't noticed, it's why we have been very simple on offense with SW, asking him to not lose instead of to win ball games for us. How many throws has SW thrown over 10-15 yards in those two games? I can only count a handful. Gus went really conservative, and wanted to see how JJ would respond. Which brings us to why JJ over SW makes more sense in the long run. Yes, I agree, SW hasn't been a total bust, far from it, but neither has he done anything to "win" the job, per say. The coaches know that we are limited with SW on offense, regarding big plays. However, JJ, IF, I mean a BIG IF, gets his head right, the coaches know that we can compete in every game this year. I know it appears I have criticized SW about his play, but I never said he was horrible, just thought he wasn't good enough right now to take our offense to the next level. And the coaches believe that JJ has the higher ceiling, by far, than SW, hence the reason why they benched him these last two games and have him come in for the UK game. By the way, who's to say that the players don't know this already?? My inside info and .2 cents, FWIW

Please... Please... PLEASE tell me you made all this up.

If this is in any way indicative of this staff's thought processes, it isn't JJ who needs the help.

If this is in any way indicative of this staff's thought processes, it isn't JJ who needs the help.

Pretty sure Auburnguy101 is CRL.

If only I could get what he's getting paid, then yea, you caught me! Really though, take it or leave it, no worries on my part. Just thought I'd give some insight on the situation from people I know in the AD...

:thumbsup:/>

I've pulled my #1 pitcher from a game early many a time. Usually three days of rest and he gets it back together. Neither he nor his reliever thought the situation or the world had been turned upside down. JJ and Sean are both old enough to understand that maybe JJ needed some bench time and when the coaches decided enough time had passed, JJ would return to the field and Sean to the bench.

I think most people that have played competitive sports would understand this concept. If these guys had eggshell thin mentalities they wouldn't have made it this far. I doubt that either of them will be mentally ruined for life regardless of who starts Saturday.

Pulling pitchers or a corner getting a starting nod is not the same as pulling a QB that just won a game with Zero interceptions.

I did play. If (and I stress if) the team has started to put just a little faith in SW, and they bench him, this has potential to be really bad if JJ makes the first early mistake.

If only I could get what he's getting paid, then yea, you caught me! Really though, take it or leave it, no worries on my part. Just thought I'd give some insight on the situation from people I know in the AD...

Thanks for the info, 101.

I'm just shocked to think that this might actually be typical of the thought processes that take place on the inside. It does possibly explain how things could get so far off the rails without anybody noticing until the dumpster is glowing cherry red, though.

If benching JJ and opting for SW was never considered to be a long term solution and you just wanted to give JJ a rest then why do it for Miss St. That's basically saying that you were prepared to concede that game. I don't buy it. I think if that was the case then you do it for San Jose State.

I'm not sure if this information is real or a misinformation campaign from your AD contact. What coach in his right mind would bench his starting QB, if he believes in him, when the next opponent is a SEC foe? If we loose that game (which we did) we are out of the running for the SEC West title. This seems like revisionist logic, I'm not buying it.

Like I said, believe what you want. I trust the person who's told me this information. And FYI, you see many coaches pull their QBs when they're struggling. Honestly, I thought they gave up on him too quickly, but they thought that JJ needed a break and regain his confidence. Again though, I'm going with my information, you believe what you want. I'm just relaying the information I've heard...

I'm not doubting that you heard what you heard, it's just hard to believe the coach would pull his starting QB just before the MSU game where it was so important for the rest of the season. That would mean Gus gave up on the season after the LSU game. Now, if JJ does start the UK game, the seed has been planted that the reasoning was "to get JJ's head straight". I hope it works out, but it is a slippery slop.

:poke: Couldn't resist.

If benching JJ and opting for SW was never considered to be a long term solution and you just wanted to give JJ a rest then why do it for Miss St. That's basically saying that you were prepared to concede that game. I don't buy it. I think if that was the case then you do it for San Jose State.

Well, MSU is about as weak as the SECW gets. Maybe Gus honestly thought he could beat MSU with SW - a QB with zero experience - running a simplified conservative playbook and playing to "not lose"?

Well, MSU is about as weak as the SECW gets. Maybe Gus honestly thought he could beat MSU with SW - a QB with zero experience - running a simplified conservative playbook and playing to "not lose"?

Would have worked if we'd scored in the redzone.

Would have worked if we'd scored in the redzone.

Well, yeah. But that would have been a move 'to win' not a move to 'not lose', now wouldn't it? :blink: And Gus has clearly fully embraced the not lose mindset.

@AUGoldMine: Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the off week: "We decided this week that ALL positions are open to competition."

Including QB!?

@AUGoldMine: Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the off week: "We decided this week that ALL positions are open to competition."

Including QB!?

There's your answer. The practice heisman will shine. Here's hoping for 3 defensive TDs against UK

Including QB!?

There's your answer. The practice heisman will shine. Here's hoping for 3 defensive TDs against UK

:laugh: Couldn't help but laugh at your last statement. Although, I truthfully would love to see that happen!

Sean White was never given an opportunity to succeed ...they limited him in everything..preparation, play calling and support. When he came in the team was already headed down hill. How can he shine if you don't give him a real chance?

We've heard Gus say...Sean knows the whole playbook no doubt about it.

Well the playbook must be

a few pages because that's all the OC has called for him.

So the last two games have been what? A project or just get us by til Jeremy gets his head right?

They put all their eggs in Jeremy's basket. And they haven't hatched yet.

Sean was never given a chance wuth "the playbook".

IMO .to the posters who think otherwise ...Sean will be very good at Auburn if he stays!

100% agee and believe this is spot on.

Including QB!?

ALL positions should be open every week IMO.

Including QB!?

ALL positions should be open every week IMO.

I take it that you are not worried about hurting some kid's feelings when he learns that he will not be starting as he expected? :)

Benching JJ as a short-term solution should have been pulling him for a series or two against JSU and or LSU. We did him no favors by keeping him in those games while he was struggling. SW is not a stop gap QB and we should open up the offense for him. This offense can be just as or even more dangerous with an accurate throwing QB as it can be with a zone run QB. White can clearly move the ball - take the handcuffs all the offense and let's play ball.

In the mean time we should continue to work with JJ as he is one play away from again being the starter. Coaches needed to start earning their keep. CGM is not earning the dollars he is being paid. While we are in the evaluation process and all positions are open I would hope our head coach would evaluate his performance.

Archived