Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

Well since this all just about opinions, I am all for JJ starting. I think he has more tools and potential than SW does (by far). I don't think SW is the QB of the future. I think we ride with JJ the remainder of the year and then that determines what has to be done in the offseason with transfers or junior college guys. Again just my opinion.

I respect your opinion. Mine differs in the sense that I don't know if SW is the QB of the future and would prefer to trot him out there as long as he hasn't proven ineffective to see if he can be that Kyle Allen/Aaron Murray/Drew Brees that people have supposedly comped him to. Then, the same thing as you with JJ, if the potential doesn't show itself by season's end, hit that JuCo waiver wire.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how another QB change, either way, whether its to JJ, Jason Smith, or Casanova McKinzy, doesn't have a detrimental effect on the team. Gus needs to sack up, and name a starter for the rest of the season and stop with this "evaluating week to week" thing. That's supposed to be done March-August. In a season full of changes, if this offense is going to resemble any of its potential, it needs a constant at the QB position for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

What I'm more concerned with is behind Sean White is Tyler Queen, another "pro-style" QB. If Gus isn't comfortable anymore tailoring the offense around these type of guys (speculation on my part), why is he recruiting them? It's time for him to pick a system, no matter how "flexible" he thinks his offense is, actually recruit SKILL players at SKILL positions (no more playing plug and play with ATH at skill positions of need), and commit wholeheartedly for better or worse to what this offense is.

Woody Barrett, a true dual-threat guy, has every bit as much of a chance of succeeding White as Queen does, if he ends up keeping his commitment.

Thank you for the information. I've taken off the past couple years following the circus of recruiting, so being ignorant on recruits coming up the pipeline is a consequence, but a much less stressful alternative on my college football fandom lol.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since this all just about opinions, I am all for JJ starting. I think he has more tools and potential than SW does (by far). I don't think SW is the QB of the future. I think we ride with JJ the remainder of the year and then that determines what has to be done in the offseason with transfers or junior college guys. Again just my opinion.

I respect your opinion. Mine differs in the sense that I don't know if SW is the QB of the future and would prefer to trot him out there as long as he hasn't proven ineffective to see if he can be that Kyle Allen/Aaron Murray/Drew Brees that people have supposedly comped him to. Then, the same thing as you with JJ, if the potential doesn't show itself by season's end, hit that JuCo waiver wire.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how another QB change, either way, whether its to JJ, Jason Smith, or Casanova McKinzy, doesn't have a detrimental effect on the team. Gus needs to sack up, and name a starter for the rest of the season and stop with this "evaluating week to week" thing. That's supposed to be done March-August. In a season full of changes, if this offense is going to resemble any of its potential, it needs a constant at the QB position for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

What I'm more concerned with is behind Sean White is Tyler Queen, another "pro-style" QB. If Gus isn't comfortable anymore tailoring the offense around these type of guys (speculation on my part), why is he recruiting them? It's time for him to pick a system, no matter how "flexible" he thinks his offense is, actually recruit SKILL players at SKILL positions (no more playing plug and play with ATH at skill positions of need), and commit wholeheartedly for better or worse to what this offense is.

Woody Barrett, a true dual-threat guy, has every bit as much of a chance of succeeding White as Queen does, if he ends up keeping his commitment.

Thank you for the information. I've taken off the past couple years following the circus of recruiting, so being ignorant on recruits coming up the pipeline is a consequence, but a much less stressful alternative on my college football fandom lol.

And I applaud your strategy. It's a fairly useless pursuit for the average fan.

Gus is probably willing to make changes. I think he hasn't so far because he's got it tuned for JJ and is hoping to get JJ back in the saddle.

I would say that it is not out of the realm of possibility based on what I've heard.

The issue right now is that Sean, at this point in his career (RS Freshman) is in a place where his floor isn't as low as Jeremy's, but his ceiling isn't as high either. If Jeremy is right in the head, the offense has much more explosive potential. The question of course is - how do you know if he's right in the head without putting him out there?

Sounds right.

Well if JJ is to start again this is as a good a time as any. What with the extras days of preparation provided by the off week. And the opponent being Kentucky.

And why not? JJ can run the preset 'read' option and throw the sideline passes just as Sean was doing.

Are we sure its a confidence /yips issue as opposed to not being able to read defenses?

Reading defenses isnt something that can be cured in 3-4 weeks.

If they are competing and JJ looks best I would go with white starting. Then on the first 3rd and 2 or less I run JJ out so UK digs in for a QB keeper and throw it. If it connects JJ stays in.

If they are competing and JJ looks best I would go with white starting. Then on the first 3rd and 2 or less I run JJ out so UK digs in for a QB keeper and throw it. If it connects JJ stays in.

There's a problem with your plan...

This was great. Lol.

Are we sure its a confidence /yips issue as opposed to not being able to read defenses?

It seems like more of the former and less of the latter to me, but I'm as uninformed a fan as you'll find. Also, the quote from Jay Tate I posted earlier in the thread suggests to me that JJ has at least one other instance of the yips in his past.

I definitely agree, the most consistent programs in college football recruit players to fit the system in place, and not tailor their system to the players they recruit. I could understand 2013, he was left with no choice but to tailor the system for the players he had. But moving on in the future, it would seem best to settle on a system and recruit specifically to it.

It seems like more of the former and less of the latter to me, but I'm as uninformed a fan as you'll find. Also, the quote from Jay Tate I posted earlier in the thread suggests to me that JJ has at least one other instance of the yips in his past.

A problem maybe, but not yips. The yips usually affect one particular fine motor skill that has been over-trained. JJ seems to be blanking in the moment - more like that pole vaulter in the the Olympic trials who just completely spaced on how to pole vault. I don't remember her name, so I don't know if/how/when she ever recovered.

Sean White was never given an opportunity to succeed ...they limited him in everything..preparation, play calling and support. When he came in the team was already headed down hill. How can he shine if you don't give him a real chance?

We've heard Gus say...Sean knows the whole playbook no doubt about it.

Well the playbook must be

a few pages because that's all the OC has called for him.

So the last two games have been what? A project or just get us by til Jeremy gets his head right?

They put all their eggs in Jeremy's basket. And they haven't hatched yet.

Sean was never given a chance wuth "the playbook".

IMO .to the posters who think otherwise ...Sean will be very good at Auburn if he stays!

Sean White was never given an opportunity to succeed ...they limited him in everything..preparation, play calling and support. When he came in the team was already headed down hill. How can he shine if you don't give him a real chance?

So the last two games have been what? A project or just get us by til Jeremy gets his head right?

IMO .to the posters who think otherwise ...Sean will be very good at Auburn if he stays!

White may know the whole 'playbook' but given the inconsistent play of the offensive line and fullbacks how much of the playbook is available to be used during a game.

Well, at times Gus makes some weird decisions, putting JJ in to start against UK would not surprise me. And obviously that is what he is eluding to do. I think it would be stupid. Put him in, on the road, when we need an SEC win? SW is our better chance from what Ive seen. Sure he doesnt have the arm strength JJ has, but I love his fight. He looks like he WANTS to win, not like a deer in the headlights. At first I just thought JJ was cool as a cucumber, now its obvious its much deeper than that. He just looks scared to death. Almost like he is lost out there.

It blows my mind, He looked so good last year filling in as a backup and also during the spring game. How can this happen? Did Duke threaten to punch him if he didnt throw the ball to him and he got scared? (Bad joke, I know, sorry..)

You cant fix a head problem in 2 weeks, can you? If he walks out there to start against UK on the road, it would seem we will lose... but miracles still happen. I will pull for them either way.

People are saying that but we don't really know what the plan was for SW right now. For all we know, the plan was for SW to be a place-holder.....like is done when a starter get's hurt.

I'm still thinking that in his mind...JJ is Gus's QB and it is going to take more than a couple bad games to make him change his opinion. JJ has a huge upside and i just can't imagine Gus and RL writing him off now.....without more evidence that he is not going to make it.

Folks, we need to try and put ourselves in Gus's mind when discussing this....not just suggesting what "we" would do if we were calling the shots.

For everyone losing their marbles about JJ likely starting vs UK, let's talk about the reasoning and logic behind this, and other tidbits that I have gathered from people I know in the AD. First, if I am to believe many of the optimists around here, the season is still not a lost. And don't you think the coaches feel that way as well? I mean, Gus has made some bone-headed decisions with his play-calling, but I'm sure him and every other coach still believe they can turn this around, or at least they better, or they all deserve to get fired. So, that brings us to these last two games. From what I know, benching JJ was a short-term solution in the beginning, meaning SW was never considered really being a long-term starter. Gus wanted JJ to clear his head, and from what I'm told, JJ has worked his butt off since he's been benched and has been positive throughout this whole ordeal. If you haven't noticed, it's why we have been very simple on offense with SW, asking him to not lose instead of to win ball games for us. How many throws has SW thrown over 10-15 yards in those two games? I can only count a handful. Gus went really conservative, and wanted to see how JJ would respond. Which brings us to why JJ over SW makes more sense in the long run. Yes, I agree, SW hasn't been a total bust, far from it, but neither has he done anything to "win" the job, per say. The coaches know that we are limited with SW on offense, regarding big plays. However, JJ, IF, I mean a BIG IF, gets his head right, the coaches know that we can compete in every game this year. I know it appears I have criticized SW about his play, but I never said he was horrible, just thought he wasn't good enough right now to take our offense to the next level. And the coaches believe that JJ has the higher ceiling, by far, than SW, hence the reason why they benched him these last two games and have him come in for the UK game. By the way, who's to say that the players don't know this already?? My inside info and .2 cents, FWIW

People are saying that but we don't really know what the plan was for SW right now. For all we know, the plan was for SW to be a place-holder.....like is done when a starter get's hurt.

I'm still thinking that in his mind...JJ is Gus's QB and it is going to take more than a couple bad games to make him change his opinion. JJ has a huge upside and i just can't imagine Gus and RL writing him off now.....without more evidence that he is not going to make it.

Folks, we need to try and put ourselves in Gus's mind when discussing this....not just suggesting what "we" would do if we were calling the shots.

I agree with you AU64. I'm no JJ apologist, was never buying the Heisman hype around him, and he has had many bad bad bad moments this season. However, like you said, and from what I'm told, SW has been a stand-in while JJ gets his head straight. As much as many want to bash JJ and his abilities, the coaches believe he has the most upside, and with that, believe we can turn this season around still IF JJ has his head straight. People wondering why if he was going to play why not these past two games. Well, how do you think the reception would be at home to him playing QB? Not good, and probably a lot of booing. And as discussed, JJ needs to have more confidence, and starting him at UK sounds much better, where he can start over. And it's ludicrous for some of you saying if he isn't perfect, he should be benched. Would you say that about SW if he had the kind of games like JJ, and was given another shot? I highly doubt that. The coaches know JJ's potential, and they want to see if he's corrected his mistakes. Look, if JJ continues to do the same things he did in the last three games, and I'm not talking about an interception here or there, but not seeing or reading the defense, then yes, he will be pulled. But, any reasonable person would give JJ a second opportunity to prove himself. If he doesn't, then yes, SW will start for the remainder of the year. My .2 cents anyways...

I agree with you AU64. I'm no JJ apologist, was never buying the Heisman hype around him, and he has had many bad bad bad moments this season. However, like you said, and from what I'm told, SW has been a stand-in while JJ gets his head straight. As much as many want to bash JJ and his abilities, the coaches believe he has the most upside, and with that, believe we can turn this season around still IF JJ has his head straight. People wondering why if he was going to play why not these past two games. Well, how do you think the reception would be at home to him playing QB? Not good, and probably a lot of booing. And as discussed, JJ needs to have more confidence, and starting him at UK sounds much better, where he can start over. And it's ludicrous for some of you saying if he isn't perfect, he should be benched. Would you say that about SW if he had the kind of games like JJ, and was given another shot? I highly doubt that. The coaches know JJ's potential, and they want to see if he's corrected his mistakes. Look, if JJ continues to do the same things he did in the last three games, and I'm not talking about an interception here or there, but not seeing or reading the defense, then yes, he will be pulled. But, any reasonable person would give JJ a second opportunity to prove himself. If he doesn't, then yes, SW will start for the remainder of the year. My .2 cents anyways...

Did Gus let SW in on his plan that SW was just a fill in until Gus decided JJ's head was on straight?

wde

?

?

I think it was a joke that we don't ever get into 3rd and short situations. A cruel, cruel joke.

Did Gus let SW in on his plan that SW was just a fill in until Gus decided JJ's head was on straight?

wde

I guess told him what he thought he ought to know...that's why he gets the big bucks after all.

?

I think it was a joke that we don't ever get into 3rd and short situations. A cruel, cruel joke.

i thought so but we have plenty. just might take too long into the game, i guess.

Archived