Jovon Robinson

eulessau

If Roc does whatever it takes for him to be able to carry the ball at least 15-20 times a game without being scared of injury, he would be amazing and by far our #1 back

Roc needs to do more North-South running and less East-West dancing.

this has seemed to be the case with a lot of the players we run the jet sweep with.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Roc does whatever it takes for him to be able to carry the ball at least 15-20 times a game without being scared of injury, he would be amazing and by far our #1 back

Where are you coming up with this stuff?!

hes got a lot of intangibles that our other backs don't have. He just can't stay healthy long enough to take the work load someone like Peyton can.

I'm getting "this stuff" from his limited college footage and highligh school highlights. The same place the recruiting experts got "this stuff" from when they ranked roc higher than they ranked PB and Jovon in their highschool years

I'm just wondering at this point if they are red shirting Jovon? It looks like they would at least have him in on the punt team or the kickoff team or something if he is healthy enough to play and just not good enough to play running back.

Whatever is going on with Robinson, he needs to be ready to step up if Roc can't stop getting hurt in every game.

Exactly. We are only half way through the season. He has plenty of time to contribute before the year is out. Does he have one or two years after this one?

I'm just wondering at this point if they are red shirting Jovon? It looks like they would at least have him in on the punt team or the kickoff team or something if he is healthy enough to play and just not good enough to play running back.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think the initial plan was to redshirt but injuries change things. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played in more than a 1/3rd of the games, so with a doctors blessing he could apply for a medical redshirt. Of course, if Roc is out (has anybody heard his status???) then JR may be able to break in now. I guess it depends on that high ankle sprain. If he has to be held out another 2 or 3 games due to an injury, a redshirt would be very beneficial to him. This season has not earned him 1 year lost in eligibility so I hope he gets a MR if he sits out much longer. JMO

Anyone know how well Jovon blocks? Could this be the sticking point as to why he is not getting much PT?

If he does not block well he is a hindrance in the game when he does not get the ball. It would be hard to put him in often when the D knows he is getting the ball when ever he is in the game.

Jovon still gonna be one and done to the league as some on here were saying during his recruitment?

If you watch his JUCO highlights you would too. I think Jovon was over hyped like a lot of players can be however, I think Jovon should get his chance if he is healthy. He will be a good RB

I'm sure he just decided not to show his arm off....like all the other super heroes do lol. Way to ease that SW in the post btw

Jovon still gonna be one and done to the league as some on here were saying during his recruitment?

Yes, the NFL loves 4th string RB's....

Brandon Jacobs says " hi " .

There seems to be a subset of the fanbase who think that highly touted juco transfers deserve to play simply because they chose lil' ol' Auburn over everybody else, and that we somehow screwed them if they didn't earn their way onto the field for us. Meanwhile, you've got kids who took care of business in high school, got to Auburn as freshmen, put in work in our system for a little while and- surprise- have turned into pretty good football players who have earned the right to play based on merit. Emphasis on the italicized part because, as Mikey points out, this isn't rec-league ball and just as juco guys don't deserve to play just by showing up, neither do 4-year guys just for trying really hard.

And, of course, it's possible that Barber, Thomas and Johnson are just better running backs. I know, I know, it sucks to have other guys that might be better than a guy who's really good.

You're a tad off. I'll start with this, Jovon hasn't outperformed the running backs and I'm ok with that. But I'd like to see him be the guy if he earns it. I want JR to do well for a different reason. He was here, on campus and (to my understanding) had the rug pulled out from under him. And when the time came back around he could have gone anywhere. But he came back to us. I think we all kinda, just a little, like a redemption story. This kid went through a lot to be at Auburn so I find it hard given his circumstance to not want him on the field (run on sentence?). Again, if he earns it.

Nah, I'm not off. I was responding to some specific comments about Robinson (and many about Duke Williams) that folks have made all season long. You might not belong in the subset I described, and that's cool.

And I have to play devil's advocate a little bit on Robinson's "redemption story", though. Keep in mind that he came back to the school that produced the SEC's leading rusher and rushing offense each of the last 2 seasons. His position coach has at least 6 guys in the NFL right now (4 off of his last 2 teams). Say what you will about the other position groups- I'd probably agree- but Auburn is a smart business decision for a running back as long as Gus is here.

Look, he might be a great kid and all, but Robinson came out of fall camp as RB3 and then yelled at his head coach on the sideline during a game. And whatever happened the first time around, kid didn't make his grades in high school. Meanwhile, Peyton Barber served his time, kept his head down, earned his snaps and is an honor roll student despite having dyslexia. Roc Thomas is out there cheering for Barber and KJ every time they touch the ball. Any time somebody brings up how good KJ has looked early, somebody else brings up that he's an even better kid. I'm not saying that any of them are any better human beings than Robinson, but I see four guys worth rooting for, and I don't see any reason to root for one of them at another's expense. Which is not exactly what you're saying, but it's exactly what others have said and what I was initially responding to.

I saw your post and my first thought was, damn not sure this will be something I want to agree with. I read it. It is very well thought out and I agree. Well said!

I sure hope JR can show us real soon that 5* running ability we were expecting. We have three 5* RBs although KJ wasn't consensus (or composite) as they call it. I love Barber but he was a 3* for a reason. He has good size and power but will never be a Fournette, a Chubb, or a Derrick Henry, or even a Boom Williams. Peyton has a big heart and leaves it all on the field but we need JR or RT to come through for us to have a chance against teams like ALabama.

Don't remind me of Jacobs. It still hurts we never figured out how to run him.

Which should we have put on the bench to make room for Jacobs, Caddy or Ronnie?

I sure hope JR can show us real soon that 5* running ability we were expecting. We have three 5* RBs although KJ wasn't consensus (or composite) as they call it. I love Barber but he was a 3* for a reason. He has good size and power but will never be a Fournette, a Chubb, or a Derrick Henry, or even a Boom Williams. Peyton has a big heart and leaves it all on the field but we need JR or RT to come through for us to have a chance against teams like ALabama.

We need Jovon to come out and be a very strong back for us on this stretch of games coming up. Peyton may not be Leonard Fournette but he will develope into a very good back if he keeps improving like he has of the last couple seasons. Kerryon will be very good but he lacks size right now and will get eaten alive against teams with bigger defensive players.

We need Jovon and all his 230lbs to come through for us to have a chance to win out this season. We need Stevens to be a downfield threat like he was on the almost TD play against UK.

JR. must be gimpy. No other reason to not try him more. If he was being disciplined I doubt gus would hide it.

I personally don't think he would have been benched for this long as a form of discipline.

I was mod edited, understandably.

It is would depend what exactly Jovon said to Gus during the "situation" on the sideline to determine what he might have said. If he said something reprehensible then his disciplinary action is warranted.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm thinking that Jovon is either injured or simply isn't good enough to take playing time away from the other three. I seriously doubt that some reincarnation of Bo Jackson is sitting on the sidelines ready to go and we're electing to not use him.

Archived