Jovon Robinson

eulessau

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe, until our line blocks better and the other team stops playing 8-10 in the box we won't have a lot of yards per game, regardless who runs the ball. We must open up the run by being successful in throwing the ball, at least, to be an option. Now it is a last resort and not an option.

Barber has produced so he is the starter it is that simple. Potential is just that play on the field is what counts. Barber also is good out of the backfield and is a very good blocker. Long runs need receivers blocking downfield.

Barber has produced so he is the starter it is that simple. Potential is just that play on the field is what counts. Barber also is good out of the backfield and is a very good blocker. Long runs need receivers blocking downfield.

Not discounting the notion of our receivers need to do a better job of blocking down field but it also requires a back that will keep his feet under him and run past some people. I have seen Barber improve in every game so maybe long runs are in his future.

Imho, there is no point in continuing to compare Roc and Kerryon to Peyton. Those 2 cannot run inside 20 times a game. A couple times a game, sure, but if you want them to make it to the end of the season, you cannot ask them to do what Peyton is doing. If Peyton needs a breather running inside, Jovon is the only guy that can do that and still continue pounding it between the tackles.

Roc and Kerryon are "space" backs that earn their keep getting the ball in space. There they can use their speed and moves to make something happen and can break it on almost any play. Can they run inside 1 or 2 times a game ? Sure they can but not as their primary role.

Peyton and Jovon are "power" backs that make their living on the inside. There they can use their size, strength and powerful legs to run downhill and move the ball forward. Can they be used in space 1 or 2 times a game ? Sure, but again that is not their primary role.

So I look at the depth chart like this.

Power role: 1st team- Peyton, 2nd team- Jovon

Space role: 1st team- Roc, 2nd team- Kerryon (but he is close to moving past Roc)

Roc looks good at times, until he fumbles. He doesn't hold onto the ball consistently enough to earn the starting position imo....

The biggest misconception people say about roc

I like Peyton to get 20 carries a game.

I like Kerryon getting the complimentary carries.

I like Roc catching passes out of the backfield.

I think Barber and Johnson should be the 1-2 punch and Roc be the 3rd down type back. Kerryon Johnson can be a special running back IMO. He falls forward and usually fights through the first tackle. My personal favorite traits of a RB. Tre Mason was like that IMO and I think KJ can actually be a better overall RB. All my personal opinion haha

Roc looks good at times, until he fumbles. He doesn't hold onto the ball consistently enough to earn the starting position imo....

Fumble Ratio:

Tre Mason: 1 every 59.4 offensive touch

Cameron Artis Payne: 1 every 136 touches

Peyton Barber: 1 every 123 touches

Roc Thomas: 1 every 28.6 touches

Fumble Ratio:

Tre Mason: 1 every 59.4 offensive touch

Cameron Artis Payne: 1 every 136 touches

Peyton Barber: 1 every 123 touches

Roc Thomas: 1 every 28.6 touches

Yikes! That is not good

Yikes indeed! No misconception there...............

The problem with "fumble ratio" is that it is dependent on attempts, and since most coaches tend to get spooked and stop giving guys touches if they fumble a few times, you're kind of SOL for improving that statistic as the required touches become sporadic. Roc Thomas has less than 100 career touches; is that really a large enough sample to conclude him as a "1 fumble every 28.6 touches" player? Maybe he is, but its also possible that over the next 100+ touches he doesn't fumble even once.

Its been what; ~3-4 games since his last fumble? I've probably been more critical of him than anyone going back to last season, but he's really been running very well lately.

The problem with "fumble ratio" is that it is dependent on attempts, and since most coaches tend to get spooked and stop giving guys touches if they fumble a few times, you're kind of SOL for improving that statistic as the required touches become sporadic. Roc Thomas has less than 100 career touches; is that really a large enough sample to conclude him as a "1 fumble every 28.6 touches" player? Maybe he is, but its also possible that over the next 100+ touches he doesn't fumble even once.

Its been what; ~3-4 games since his last fumble? I've probably been more critical of him than anyone going back to last season, but he's really been running very well lately.

Some truth to your statement but not a good start for Roc. Now Cameron Artis-Payne was a player many AU fans thought had a fumbling issue, which wasn't the case.

Tre was getting like 30+ carries a game at the end of 2013, so his avg was like a fumble every two games -- that is too much IMO but I dont recall feeling like he lost the ball a lot

Stat backs up his view with Stats.

Yep and most will not use their mind with the stats. And not factor in his big play potential either. And I don't even count the mishap the Alabama game a fumble...it was stupid but it was more of a pass than anything. Add in he's fumbled like three or four times total ever imo saying he ALWAYS fumble isn't valid at all

What was funny?

Meta4 explained it. Georgia's qb has an eighty something percent completing percentage after three games....turns out he's not that accurate at all

What was funny?

Meta4 explained it. Georgia's qb has an eighty something percent completing percentage after three games....turns out he's not that accurate at all

And a large part of that high percentage was from the USCe game

What was funny?

And a large part of that high percentage was from the USCe game

Exactly

Roc Thomas' last three games:

8 carries for 37 yards (4.6 YPC), 2 receptions for 36 yards: 10 touches for 73 yards (7.3 YPT)

3 carries for 18 yards (6.0 YPC), 3 receptions for 12 yards: 6 touches for 30 yards (5.0 YPT)

4 carries for 39 yards (9.75 YPC), 1 reception for 42 yards: 5 touches for 81 yards (16.2 YPT)

Like I said, it is kind of comical that people are still talking about him being ineffective. What games are you watching? The Kerryon Johnson love-fest over a couple touches when no one expects him to get the ball is kind of ridiculous too.

Nobody is saying Roc is cursed. But the spin move. The spin move where he has players all go to rip the ball out as he is going down falling backwards. It's Mario Fannin like. You want him to be the guy. But when every offensive possession is worth a million, he's worth a spin and ten yards or a spin with a fumble. 50/50 We just don't have the ball enough for turnovers. If he were put in a Quan Bray situation you would think he would kill. The play calling and time of possession have been stiff.

Nobody is saying Roc is cursed. But the spin move. The spin move where he has players all go to rip the ball out as he is going down falling backwards. It's Mario Fannin like. You want him to be the guy. But when every offensive possession is worth a million, he's worth a spin and ten yards or a spin with a fumble. 50/50 We just don't have the ball enough for turnovers. If he were put in a Quan Bray situation you would think he would kill. The play calling and time of possession have been stiff.

He has severely reduced the use of the spin-move. Like I said, watch the game. He's barely spun the last three games and he has been very effective.

Haven't really seen jovon play. Hard to predict one way or the other for him. I bet he is a guy that needs to be fed the ball a lot to build up momentum, but again no way to really know with him missing so much time with injuries.

Archived