Jovon Robinson

eulessau

Good runner minus the fumbles. Probably would've got a better shot in the pros.

Not a good runner at all. Poor agility and average at best vision. Just a big/strong/fast guy in a RB's body.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mario was a straight up runner and had a severe case of fumblitis.

Like Roc, Mario's reputation as fumbling was over-done...but unfortunately it was the timing that did him in. Mario was a fine player and great off the wheel route. ....but an unlucky injury in the pros.

Like Roc, Mario's reputation as fumbling was over-done...but unfortunately it was the timing that did him in. Mario was a fine player and great off the wheel route. ....but an unlucky injury in the pros.

His name was fumbling fanning and he earned it.

The problem with "fumble ratio" is that it is dependent on attempts, and since most coaches tend to get spooked and stop giving guys touches if they fumble a few times, you're kind of SOL for improving that statistic as the required touches become sporadic. Roc Thomas has less than 100 career touches; is that really a large enough sample to conclude him as a "1 fumble every 28.6 touches" player? Maybe he is, but its also possible that over the next 100+ touches he doesn't fumble even once.

Its been what; ~3-4 games since his last fumble? I've probably been more critical of him than anyone going back to last season, but he's really been running very well lately.

Some truth to your statement but not a good start for Roc. Now Cameron Artis-Payne was a player many AU fans thought had a fumbling issue, which wasn't the case.

The only critical fumble I've ever seen from CAP shouldn't have even been called a fumble

Dude was very safe with the ball

Agree. I don't see how any AU fan could come to the conclusion that CAP had fumbling issues. Maybe we remember Roc's fumbles b/c the seem to come at the worst moments within the game. Similar to Yeldon...idk. He just makes me very nervous everytime he runs up the middle. It seems like defenders go extra hard punching at the ball trying to strip the ball versus tackling him b/c of his fumble issues. Fannin was by far the worse for me to watch though.

Roc just has a very wild backyard style of running. Which he isn't the only guy that's ever had that type of style. Most other guys like him are slightly bigger and juke less so they can sort of control it better. Roc is barely at 200 if that, and while he does have power, he isn't the type that is gonna have more strength than the average linebacker in any single arm

I like that term with Roc. His size doesn't really bother me to be honest like it may with some people. Tre wasn't that big of a RB so i never knew why it was a knock on Roc. Tre had tremendous vision and hit the hole like a rocket. He didn't mess around and got up field. Pretty much the same as CAP as far as vision goes. Don't want to come across as being down on Roc; he's a very good weapon to have. There are ways we can use all these RBs IMO where they all can get some touches bet it running or in the passing game. I don't know what's the deal with our WRs besides Ricardo but I'd love to see Truitt and Roc get more short passes and let them do what they do best in the open field.

We need a tight end who is about 6-7 around 260 lbs. that can run a 4.75 40 time. A Jimmy Graham clone would be nice!

We still wouldn't throw to him except in the redzone and even then he'd probably be lined up at wr

This is sadly true.

Not a good runner at all. Poor agility and average at best vision. Just a big/strong/fast guy in a RB's body.

I don't see him as being one of AU's top backs of course but he was a good back when he wasn't fumbling the football. It limited his touches but he'd knock out chunks of runs.

Yep. He did well in the passing game though.

Yep. He did well in the passing game though.

Hell of a blocker, too. One of the better team guys we've had the last 10 years. Injuries are the only reason he never stuck in the NFL.

I wish people would let the fumbling business go. Mario Fannin was a hell of an Auburn Tiger.

Wonder why he didn't move to full back and make a run in the NFL. He seems to have all the qualities needed

Wonder why he didn't move to full back and make a run in the NFL. He seems to have all the qualities needed

Injuries. Stayed on injured reserve with the Broncos for 2 years. Knee in 2011 and Achilles in 2012. They waived him and nobody else signed him.

Injuries. Stayed on injured reserve with the Broncos for 2 years. Knee in 2011 and Achilles in 2012. They waived him and nobody else signed him.

Last i checked he was in the CFL but not sure if he's still there.

Fannin and Auburn both would have been better served had he been moved to strong safety the day he walked onto campus. He simply didn't have the vision or knack for the RB position. He did have the strength, speed and body to play good defense.

Does it appear JR will be redshirted?

It's a possibility, unless his problems are more mental attitude than physical troubles and they want him to move on out ASAP.

Fannin and Auburn both would have been better served had he been moved to strong safety the day he walked onto campus. He simply didn't have the vision or knack for the RB position. He did have the strength, speed and body to play good defense.

Everybody 'round here still thought he was a better RB than Ben Tate most of the way through 2009. In fact, they said the exact same things about those two guys that they keep saying about Robinson and Barber in this thread. Like, the exact same things.

Anyway, hindsight suggests you're right. And it's a shame, because Fannin was at Auburn around the same time the NFL started to realize that 2 late round RBs were cheaper and more valuable than 1 early round one, and as players started realizing their careers would last longer at a different position.

Per Tom Green on Twitter, JR no longer listed on Auburn's depth chart. Hope that doesn't mean what it seems to mean.

If you even just barely skim over the article attached to the tweet, he isn't suggesting at all that Robinson is no longer on the team. Only that he's injured.

Per Tom Green on Twitter, JR no longer listed on Auburn's depth chart. Hope that doesn't mean what it seems to mean.

If you even just barely skim over the article attached to the tweet, he isn't suggesting at all that Robinson is no longer on the team. Only that he's injured.

Good to hear.

or you could go by what gus said today.

The whole deal is that he is 4th string. 4th string doesn't tend to be listed on depth charts

The whole deal is that he is 4th string. 4th string doesn't tend to be listed on depth charts

Orr good info. Thanks for enlightening me on how the process works.

more good info. Typo.

Actually, Denver really liked his performance in camp, but he was derailed by injuries.

more good info. Typo.

Wasnt really trying to "enlighten". It just bothers me when writers/media types use headlines like this to get clicks when the whole deal really just means he is on injured reserve but could play any time.....therefore nothing has changed at all. Probably bothers me the most when I fall for the traps myself. There is no shame in the media anymore.

Archived