Muschamp so far

Richard78

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say he's a bust but he is overrated and taking on a huge task in trying to make our defense respectable. I see the team making small improvements but there are teams on schedule that's going to hurt those stats even worse.

Will we be good this year? No. Will we be a better defense but still giving up big stats at seasons end? Probably.

Da Vinci couldn't paint the Mona Lisa with mud and toilet paper.

Bingo

Folks out trolling this evening I notice......

still hoping for his success. not sure we would have been any worse so far this year but i think he helps recruiting. he will get the d better eventually.

I really like WM and think he's a good coach but I've just not seen the level of improvement that supports malzahns contention that he's the best DC in the country. This team is not devoid of talent and whoever the best DC in the country is could have done more with this bunch. I'd say he's top top for sure. Best......NOT

Trying to look at this objectively. So far I would give CWM a "C". I think that our level of talent is decent enough to win some games for us as well as lose some for us. We still have a lot of football left this season, and in all fairness I will wait until the season is over to pull the lever one way or the other.

I think I read that we were 13th in total defense in the SEC which for me is last if you don't count Vandy. It seems hard to believe with all the recruiting stars on that side of the ball that we could be behind so many other teams. I did not expect us to have one of the better defenses but I would have thought we would see some improvement if not just in terms of spirit and playing hard. For me, there is no discernible difference from last year. We did lose a couple stout DL in Gabe and AB. Really thought Tray Matthews would be more of a force. Yeah, count me disappointed in our very expensive DC.

Look at the players...for example Carlton Davis - this kid fits the mold of a future lock down man to man corner in the mold of what wee see at LSU and Bama. Prior to Muschamp AU did not have a corner with the physical skills and makeup this kid has. He will be a great one before he leaves. Muschamp needs more of his guys like him to make it work, specifically at LB and defensive end....Rome was not built in a day, and this defense will take time to build SEC quality depth. I give him an incomplete, due to Carl Lawson out and just the lack of overall quality depth.

Something I always do is watch the replay of each game so I can focus on the line of scrimmage and our movement away from the ball. I watched the Kentucky game 2 more times. Muschamp is doing a good job.

The defense is definitely improving, their rush on a passer with a quick release was actually pretty good on several occasions, Cass at the buck is making a big difference, Lambert/Cowart looked much better, Adams/Russell were often getting a good push. I saw more aggressiveness overall and a no quit attitude in the entire defense. If you take the time to look at the details, you see a noticeable improvement. It's a work in progress.

PPG is the only stat that matters to me. Considering the level of competition we have played thus far I give him a C-. The level of competition gets tougher for the remainder of our season so if Boom can keep it around 25 points per game I will upgrade to a C+. If he actually can shave it below 24 I will give him a solid A for his first year.

A few things that must be taken into consideration. How much do you give a pass for first year coaches? Does it adjust your grading scale at all? It does mine.

Since Boom only had a few months for his first recruiting class do you fairly give weight to the athletes that he is currently working with? Examples... How many 2nd team all SEC players will be on the field this Saturday? How many all SEC players will be on the field this Saturday? How many all Americans does he have? How many athletes do you see getting drafted (upperclassmen)? How many do you see going in the first or second round?

The last thing I like to consider is how are the younger athletes buying into Boom and his style. Are there any underclassmen playing better then the athletes that were around before Boom got here?

I also look for the small things that anti sunshine pumpers hate to acknowledge.

How many games has Boom's defense done enough that we "should" have won with a capable and producing GUS offense?

I say Louisville, Jacksonville State, San Jose State, and Mississippi State. (LSU and Kentucky are losses for the Defense)

How about PPG for each offense vs the points Boom's defense allowed???

Louisville averages 26.3 points per game and AU allowed 2.3 points less (with 3 offensive turnovers)

***FCS Jack St (again ***FCS) averages 38.3 points per game and AU allowed 18.3 points less (with 3 offensive turnovers)

LSU averages 37.3 but AU allowed them to get 45 points. This has been the only game that Boom should be fined for and I am sure he is not proud of the product he put on the field. No excuses for this one. His defense was flat, scared, and had no fight from the first play to the last.

Miss St averages 34.1 and AU cut their average in half. Boom and his defense won this game for AU and the offense handed it back to Mullen on a silver platter.

SJST averages 27.1 ppg and AU held them to 6 points less

Kentucky averages 26.2 and AU gave them 27. Loss for Boom but there is something most people will never acknowledge about this game because... well they just can't see anything but the sky is falling.

I have since watched this game a few times and I know tomatoes will be thrown because it does not fit the narrative of bashing everything AU but I saw a better defense on the field. Giving up 500 yards and 27 points is nothing to give Boom a pay raise but the defense looked different. If what I saw continues to improve a little every week it will translate in the stat sheet. We had glimpses of playing team Defense, we were changing the line of scrimmage much more than I seen since 2010, we looked fast, and we looked like we were starting to have fun again. Yes, we got carved up like a pumpkin by Towles and it looked like we should be playing in the CFL(they punt on 3rd down) so I am not pumping any sunshine into the defense's showing against Kentucky. I just saw some things that may jump off the screen when we play Arky. Crossing my fingers

Something I always do is watch the replay of each game so I can focus on the line of scrimmage and our movement away from the ball. I watched the Kentucky game 2 more times. Muschamp is doing a good job.

The defense is definitely improving, their rush on a passer with a quick release was actually pretty good on several occasions, Cass at the buck is making a big difference, Lambert/Cowart looked much better, Adams/Russell were often getting a good push. I saw more aggressiveness overall and a no quit attitude in the entire defense. If you take the time to look at the details, you see a noticeable improvement. It's a work in progress.

Just read your post after completing mine. Glad to see that I am not the only idiot that saw something "different" about our defense against Kentucky.

There was definitely something there that just didn't not fully connect last Thursday but I have micro analyzed Auburn football games for as long as DVR and youtube has been available. Our defense may have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it shows this Saturday.

(bunch of silly sunshine pumpers)

Do you think Muschamp actually realized how bad of a situation he was walking into at AU? I remember him talking pretty positive about the players he inherited during spring, and hes not a sunshine pumper by any stretch. I still believe he is a top notch DC and I have faith he will get AU turned around defensively given the time to do so. His recruits already look better than the upperclassmen we have at a few positions unfortunately. By most accounts he and T-Rob salvaged our recruiting defensively last year. Hopefully he can convince another strong group to sign in 16, we need some back to back strong classes badly.

I don't think anyone suspected the season to transpire like it did, including coaches.

Muschamp is doing everything he can with what he has. Lawson getting hurt didn't help either.

Can we break down how well the offense has played (time of posession) vs how well the defense has played. 4 and outs ect. Miss state game comes to mind when thinking of better performances mostly because drives were sustained. First half of KY game had some sustained drives and thus the defense played well when given a fair shot.

What im essentially saying is that our defense isnt magically going to be something we can depend on to win games when you just insert muschamp into the mix. If the offense stinks it trickles down to the defense. we are not a strong enough team yet on either side of the ball.

Archived