Muschamp so far

Richard78

It's not how many stars players x+y+z add up to be. Team cohesion is a group dynamic. It's dynamic in that it's a multiplier of force. And it's an organism unto it's self. Corporations pay big bucks and go to great lengths trying to instill this quality in their work force. Most everyone knows that two accommodating people can often get more done collectively than the sum of either alone. However the opposite of this not always everyone doing their own thing, but sometimes a fragmentation into segments.

IMO this is what we're seeing at the moment. The creation of one organism (defense vs offense) and not some mere collection or arrangement of bodies. And that despite having good ingredients... they're all mixed up and still disjointed to a certain degree... and largely due to the synergy's (and philosophies) of three coordinators (Roof-Johnson-Muschamp). Sure it's about containment, it's about tackling, it's about technique. and about desire. However there's some residual mental drag (IQ's) along with some incomplete physical learning, to go along with the almost but not quite right mix of minds, bodies, and souls. Similar to music where it's muscle memory, as well as theory, and most folks require working on both to be good.... for few are born ready made.... and there's no substitute for doing the right thing over and over. And a large part is discovering exactly what you need more work on. I'm thinking this is where CWM is at, and perhaps he may of not realized exactly how far back he had to go, before going forward.

Regardless - it makes little to no sense to be having this (failure or not) discussion dead in the middle of the mix. It's as far to the end of the season as it's been from the start. And just because it wasn't right with game one, two or six, doesn't mean the final result might still not be somewhat tastily done.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not how many stars players x+y+z add up to be. Team cohesion is a group dynamic. It's dynamic in that it's a multiplier of force. And it's an organism unto it's self. Corporations pay big bucks and go to great lengths trying to instill this quality in their work force. Most everyone knows that two accommodating people can often get more done collectively than the sum of either alone. However the opposite of this not always everyone doing their own thing, but sometimes a fragmentation into segments.

IMO this is what we're seeing at the moment. The creation of one organism (defense vs offense) and not some mere collection or arrangement of bodies. And that despite having good ingredients... they're all mixed up and still disjointed to a certain degree... and largely due to the synergy's (and philosophies) of three coordinators (Roof-Johnson-Muschamp). Sure it's about containment, it's about tackling, it's about technique. and about desire. However there's some residual mental drag (IQ's) along with some incomplete physical learning, to go along with the almost but not quite right mix of minds, bodies, and souls. Similar to music where it's muscle memory, as well as theory, and most folks require working on both to be good.... for few are born ready made.... and there's no substitute for doing the right thing over and over. And a large part is discovering exactly what you need more work on. I'm thinking this is where CWM is at, and perhaps he may of not realized exactly how far back he had to go, before going forward.

Regardless - it makes little to no sense to be having this (failure or not) discussion dead in the middle of the mix. It's as far to the end of the season as it's been from the start. And just because it wasn't right with game one, two or six, doesn't mean the final result might still not be somewhat tastily done.

That is just too much for this forum to handle

CWM was anticipating leaning on Lawson for the first couple of games to help the other get thru the "culture change". When Lawson went down CWM wasn't left with many options. He has only 1-1/2 SEC caliber D-Lineman on this AU team right know, not including the true freshman. And the LBers are not much better.

All in all I just don't think it's fair to put a grade on this. At least not this year. Lambert & Lawrence have been huge disappointments on the DL. McKenzie & Frost the same with the LBers.

:o

Whoooa.

Deep.

We may have talent on that side of the ball, but like Muschamp said, he's trying to change a mindset and that doesn't happen overnight.

This is the first approach and what he should be judged on first. I believe he gets an A for changing the mindset. Next he should be judged on how the players execute the fundamentals and i feel he gets a B on that. Finally he should be judged on how much change we see in the overall defense at the end of the year. That is yet to be determined. Right now the jury is out because of the lack of a comprehensive picture to draw conclusions from.

We may have talent on that side of the ball, but like Muschamp said, he's trying to change a mindset and that doesn't happen overnight.

This is the first approach and what he should be judged on first. I believe he gets an A for changing the mindset. Next he should be judged on how the players execute the fundamentals and i feel he gets a B on that. Finally he should be judged on how much change we see in the overall defense at the end of the year. That is yet to be determined. Right now the jury is out because of the lack of a comprehensive picture to draw conclusions from.

he gets an A in recognition and honesty too. The comment a few weeks ago about opponents not needing to throw it against us was my favorite. He didn't sugar coat it.

Others have said it better than me but, I see a change for the better in the defense. Muschamp is an excellent defensive coordinator but he can't change everything over night. He needed to stop the backward momentum of the defense before it can move forward. I think he's done that. He's basically putting warm bodies on the line and at LB because we don't have the talent that's needed.

First of all, if Will Muschamp were to fail at Auburn, I wouldn't put it on him. At all. That would be evidence enough for me that the problem is indeed Auburn, and not all of these good defensive coordinators who only fail here. (And it's not Gus's offense, either. Even when he does get the HUNH, that's not what makes guys miss tackles, lose receivers and fail to get push on the DL.) Muschamp is as much of a given as you're going to get in college football. If he doesn't get it done, then it's time for the fans to vote with their wallets, so to speak.

That said, all I'm looking for is improvement. I don't think it realistic to hope for a "good" defense this season. Muschamp could do the best single season's worth of coaching in history and still only get this defense up to "mediocre". No, what I'm looking for is for young guys to learn from their mistakes and get better as the season goes on- as others have pointed out, the upper classmen who already had 3-4 years of bad habits drilled into them pretty much are what they are at this point- and for the defense's overall performance as a unit to improve. Most of all, I want these guys playing in the 4th quarter as if they want and expect to win the game. I see those things happening. (It's what I see out of the team overall, and that's why this team is NOT like the 2012 team.)

And I agree with Muschamp that the stats don't tell the whole story. Everybody keeps bringing up all the 3rd-and-longs we surrendered to Kentucky, but that tells me that we were consistently getting Kentucky in 3rd-and-long situations. That's usually a result of 10 guys doing their job, not a bad game plan. That's improvement.

Instead of giving Muschamp a grade, I'll ask myself if I think Auburn has the best man for the job. And the answer is a resounding "yes".

Finally he should be judged on how much change we see in the overall defense at the end of the year. That is yet to be determined.

Agreed.

How anyone could be so stupid as to call this man a bust at ANY point this year is beyond me *cough cough BR cough* Anyone who knows anything about football or our situation knew to expect something like this. Carl Lawson can't do it all by himself. I for one see plenty to be pleased about an am very glad we have him

First of all, if Will Muschamp were to fail at Auburn, I wouldn't put it on him. At all. That would be evidence enough for me that the problem is indeed Auburn, and not all of these good defensive coordinators who only fail here. (And it's not Gus's offense, either. Even when he does get the HUNH, that's not what makes guys miss tackles, lose receivers and fail to get push on the DL.) Muschamp is as much of a given as you're going to get in college football. If he doesn't get it done, then it's time for the fans to vote with their wallets, so to speak.

That said, all I'm looking for is improvement. I don't think it realistic to hope for a "good" defense this season. Muschamp could do the best single season's worth of coaching in history and still only get this defense up to "mediocre". No, what I'm looking for is for young guys to learn from their mistakes and get better as the season goes on- as others have pointed out, the upper classmen who already had 3-4 years of bad habits drilled into them pretty much are what they are at this point- and for the defense's overall performance as a unit to improve. Most of all, I want these guys playing in the 4th quarter as if they want and expect to win the game. I see those things happening. (It's what I see out of the team overall, and that's why this team is NOT like the 2012 team.)

And I agree with Muschamp that the stats don't tell the whole story. Everybody keeps bringing up all the 3rd-and-longs we surrendered to Kentucky, but that tells me that we were consistently getting Kentucky in 3rd-and-long situations. That's usually a result of 10 guys doing their job, not a bad game plan. That's improvement.

Instead of giving Muschamp a grade, I'll ask myself if I think Auburn has the best man for the job. And the answer is a resounding "yes".

Finally he should be judged on how much change we see in the overall defense at the end of the year. That is yet to be determined.

Agreed.

im in mcloofus. He said he is in it for the long haul too. Minus another top tier hc offer i believe him.

Something I always do is watch the replay of each game so I can focus on the line of scrimmage and our movement away from the ball. I watched the Kentucky game 2 more times. Muschamp is doing a good job.

The defense is definitely improving, their rush on a passer with a quick release was actually pretty good on several occasions, Cass at the buck is making a big difference, Lambert/Cowart looked much better, Adams/Russell were often getting a good push. I saw more aggressiveness overall and a no quit attitude in the entire defense. If you take the time to look at the details, you see a noticeable improvement. It's a work in progress.

Just read your post after completing mine. Glad to see that I am not the only idiot that saw something "different" about our defense against Kentucky.

There was definitely something there that just didn't not fully connect last Thursday but I have micro analyzed Auburn football games for as long as DVR and youtube has been available. Our defense may have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it shows this Saturday.

(bunch of silly sunshine pumpers)

Il be honest, I was a rat about to jump ship. I was on the edge looking for driftwood to jump to a few games ago. Yardage wise our D was no better against KY, but it looked like the corner was found that we've been looking for. We haven't turned that corner yet, but I think we finally atleast found the corner and started peeking around it. I think we face a completely different challenge this week so my expectations are guarded, but I'm back on ship.

He's here for a while IMO. No top tier program wants him for a HC position after the FLA stint. And IMO, until he gets AU's defense into at least the top 3-5 of the SEC, I can't see why he'd be highly sought after as a DC candidate.

Will is going to have to rebuild this mess brick by brick. We didn't get into the hole overnight and we are not going to get out of it overnight. The defense is playing better overall but with the lack of an effective push up front it hurts us everywhere else. The injury to Lawson was critical to the failure to get pressure so far is year. But the others are trying and they are getting better. There is no lack of effort like we have seen in the past. We simply don't have the overall talent up front to get it done and there is no quick fix for that.

This post just goes along with today's spoiled attitude in our society (I gotta have it and I gotta have it NOW!) Judas Priest kids give the man time before you judge! WM is coming in to a program following 5 or 6 years of "read and react" defenses being used. We haven't had the best DL and LB recruiting classes the past few years. And the superior talent level on our D is spotty! Champ runs an attacking defense so the mindset as well as skill set of our current players needs to be changed to fit it. Our older defensive players have been in the read and react system so it will take time to change. The younger players are picking up on it and future recruits will be taught the WM way from the beginning. It's going to take 2-3 years before we see His D! Just chill kids!

The article was a fair article so far the d has been a bust but the fact that Muschamp asked to save the KY game and then the D did save it is a plus. I have seen improvement but I need to see how we handle the ARKY O-line before I give a grade. If they run on us like the others have then Muschamp has a long way to go but if D gives us a chance to win with a decent O then s a C+ with the chance to improve the grade from week to week.

I wouldn't say he's a bust but he is overrated

:bs:/>

which part is BS? I'm sure it's the part where I say WM isn't a bust...?? Perhaps maybe?

Y'all have to give him some time but he's not a bust but he's not the best in the world like he's made out to be. He looked good as a DC at Auburn and LSU under Saban and Tubbs. Who hasn't looked good as a DC under those two?? (While tubbs was in the SEC)

He wasn't that good at Texas unless hitting white boards makes the difference.

which part is BS? I'm sure it's the part where I say WM isn't a bust...?? Perhaps maybe?

Y'all have to give him some time but he's not a bust but he's not the best in the world like he's made out to be. He looked good as a DC at Auburn and LSU under Saban and Tubbs. Who hasn't looked good as a DC under those two?? (While tubbs was in the SEC)

Way to leave out the most important and most recent part of resume.

Some folks around here sure prefer talking to thinking.

This post just goes along with today's spoiled attitude in our society (I gotta have it and I gotta have it NOW!) Judas Priest kids give the man time before you judge! WM is coming in to a program following 5 or 6 years of "read and react" defenses being used. We haven't had the best DL and LB recruiting classes the past few years. And the superior talent level on our D is spotty! Champ runs an attacking defense so the mindset as well as skill set of our current players needs to be changed to fit it. Our older defensive players have been in the read and react system so it will take time to change. The younger players are picking up on it and future recruits will be taught the WM way from the beginning. It's going to take 2-3 years before we see His D! Just chill kids!

C'mon.....he's already had 6 games to turn our defense into 2004 again? What's taking him so long?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Some dont know what they are talking about.

You want to talk about WM's head coaching abilities? I wouldn't use that argument because he didnt have success and was fired?!

Was Will Muschamp the defensive coordinator at Florida? durh. You know the answer to that. It was Dan Quinn which is one of the best, see the Seattle Seahawks ( by the way he helped win a Super Bowl and nearly another). Also DJ Durkin, see the Michigan Wolverines ( how many shut outs has his defense had this year?)

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Agree

So, when Will Muschamp was a DC, his defenses were only good because he coached under good defensive coaches; but when he was the HC at Florida, his defense were only good because he hired a good DC? Got it.

Too early. I'd like details but won't get them about what he meant in September (note it was not last Spring) about this being the worst example of having to rebuild a culture (?) and it's the hardest coaching he's ever had to do. He inherited some talent that's mailing it in on occasion so that falls in his lap. Nobody's a bigger Will Muschamp fan than me but I'm very, very wary of this string we've had of competent DC's stumbling on the plains. Will has absolute carte blanche now, he'll succeed or fail on his own terms...

Archived