Latest Click Bait Article by AU Beat Writers

tigeraddikt

This time, Jovon Robinson is the target. I know this subject has been thoroughly hashed in last week's Lambert comments discussion, but is the REC seriously paying these guys? While I am annoyed at the coaching staff's ridiculous misleading and empty answers to prudent questions (i.e. what happened to Jovon?), I don't get why the writers won't publish positive stories as well, like the emergence of Sean White or Kerryon Johnson? I guess positive stories only interest AU fans, while negative stories stir up the AU fan base as well as serve fodder to the Bambillies.

I just read B Marcello's article, and thought it was a good read. It wasn't a negative article at all. Just answering some questions I think many people, including myself have had.

I actually thought the article was pretty negative as if the coaches have a grand conspiracy to keep JR from playing. That is the last article I am reading from that guy. Wish we could get some new beat writers!

I clicked onto it by mistake. I thought it was negative while reading most of it, but the last paragraph brought it into perspective. His old coach was quoted as telling him to start practicing and playing like he did in 2013. I think that part was very telling and I hope Jovon will take his advice.

This time, Jovon Robinson is the target. I know this subject has been thoroughly hashed in last week's Lambert comments discussion, but is the REC seriously paying these guys? While I am annoyed at the coaching staff's ridiculous misleading and empty answers to prudent questions (i.e. what happened to Jovon?), I don't get why the writers won't publish positive stories as well, like the emergence of Sean White or Kerryon Johnson? I guess positive stories only interest AU fans, while negative stories stir up the AU fan base as well as serve fodder to the Bambillies.

This is the reason the this set of media members don't put out positive stories. AU (staff) isn't helping the media out so the media is not helping AU out. Imagine how frustrating it would be if your paycheck is dependent on writing informative stories about the football team but you are being intentionally blocked off from any information by the staff. Doesn't make it right but I totally understand why the beat writers would be salty. I mean how are you supposed to write an article if every week the quotes are the same "____ one of the best in all of college football no doubt" "we have to get creative in finding our playmakers" etc...what are the writers supposed to do with that? That being said they are supposed to be on AU's side which is what makes this even worse.

This is the reason the this set of media members don't put out positive stories. AU (staff) isn't helping the media out so the media is not helping AU out. Imagine how frustrating it would be if your paycheck is dependent on writing informative stories about the football team but you are being intentionally blocked off from any information by the staff. Doesn't make it right but I totally understand why the beat writers would be salty. I mean how are you supposed to write an article if every week the quotes are the same "____ one of the best in all of college football no doubt" "we have to get creative in finding our playmakers" etc...what are the writers supposed to do with that? That being said they are supposed to be on AU's side which is what makes this even worse.

Agreed. but Muschamp is better at press conferences than Gus and his disciple. I won't even listen to the latter because their robotic answers tick me off. Muschamp shooting the reporter straight is a breath of fresh air.

Agreed. but Muschamp is better at press conferences than Gus and his disciple. I won't even listen to the latter because their robotic answers tick me off. Muschamp shooting the reporter straight is a breath of fresh air.

Exactly, man. I rarely even read the summaries because they offer nothing. CWM is much more honest which is very refreshing.

Bruce Pearl pressers >>>>

Why would we want to broadcast our trade secrets to the world?

One doesn't have to sacrifice a real conversation for the sake of not giving away secrets. Muschamp doesn't stick to "we have to get better, no doubt" answers throughout his press conference and he doesn't give away secrets either.

I agree that AL.com's coverage is at a low ebb this year. The two replacements for Joel A. Erickson seem very negative and more interested in trying to create controversy than reporting the news. I also, however, think their photographer, Julie Bennett, turns out some amazing stuff. Newspaper beat writers are supposed to be observers, and not fans, but observers should say both positive and negative things. This crew is focused almost entirely on the negative.

To the contrary....beat writers are not supposed to be on anyone's side....and only a really naive person believes that AU beat writers are supposed to put a good light on the AU program.

Beat writing is a job....they are supposed to cover their assignments...period.....now how they cover that assignment is up to them....and any personal leanings? well that's their choice too. So it's just too bad that in the state of Alabama, the best way to run up your "clicks" is to write something negative about Auburn....and if they chose to do business that way....I'm not going to blame AU or Gus.

And meanwhile Crepa did another of slanted headline pieces to ring up clicks on the OM game by taking a comment from an AU defensive player out of context and making something provocative out of it. Seems that maybe nobody will talk directly to this guy so is he just listening on interviews conducted by other writers and then putting his personal "spin" on the piece?

And meanwhile Crepa did another of slanted headline pieces to ring up clicks on the OM game by taking a comment from an AU defensive player out of context and making something provocative out of it. Seems that maybe nobody will talk directly to this guy so is he just listening on interviews conducted by other writers and then putting his personal "spin" on the piece?

Stuff like this can be shut down if it was at the top of Gus' priorities though.

The media negativity can be easily rectified ~ make your players off limits to them and a large part of the problem is solved.

To the contrary....beat writers are not supposed to be on anyone's side....and only a really naive person believes that AU beat writers are supposed to put a good light on the AU program.

Beat writing is a job....they are supposed to cover their assignments...period.....now how they cover that assignment is up to them....and any personal leanings? well that's their choice too. So it's just too bad that in the state of Alabama, the best way to run up your "clicks" is to write something negative about Auburn....and if they chose to do business that way....I'm not going to blame AU or Gus.

Ah I see. I always thought beat writers were just there to give the fans of their team pretty much sunshine pumped news. I stand corrected. I guess all those James Swinton and Philip Pierre-Louis false hype pieces and the like we have seen by reporters who cover AU skewed my perception of what they are supposed to be. Thanks for enlightening me, sir. Well, in that case it's not that strange that they are writing stories like they do because Gus gives them nothing. It sucks but it is what it is I guess.

Count me as one who didn't find this article in any way offensive. I know I've been wondering what's up with Jovon, and this article provided at least a tiny glimpse.

Why would we want to broadcast our trade secrets to the world?

One doesn't have to sacrifice a real conversation for the sake of not giving away secrets. Muschamp doesn't stick to "we have to get better, no doubt" answers throughout his press conference and he doesn't give away secrets either.

We could have announced SW was injured on Saturday and Ole Miss would have all week to prepare for JJ instead of 2 hours.

And then we could email them our gameplan to see if their coaches have any feedback for Gus.

Then Gus could post the whole playbook online and let the fans vote on what play we should run on third down.

I saw that and posted on another article. There's no positive questioning from that guy...week to week he's looking for something.

can't really do anything unless a coach wants to call him out.

I thought JR handled it as well as he could. I assume Creep-a was the one asking him about his attitude and effort earlier in the year. Hopefully, he will be one and done or reassigned to cover the CFL or something.

Archived