Coaching Carousel Watch

AURex

Clay Helton named the coach at USC

Interesting... I wonder what the success rate is for hiring the interim coach full time is. Guess USC wasn't up for opening the purse strings this go around.

Doesn't happen all that often, at least not in power 5 land. Last one I remember was Dabo at Clemson, and that seemed to work out well for them, unfortunately. Maybe they should do it more often.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Away from my computer traveling for awhile. Trying to catch up on the recent hires. Original list updated. Let me know if I've missed any.

A thought just came to me. Wasn't Dabo on the hot seat himself just a couple or so years ago?

yes. When we were up 14-0 in 2011 the broadcast crew mentioned his possibility of needing a good season to stay employed and i felt sorry for the sumbich briefly. Then he acted like a turd in the post game interview. Ever since i hiped he would get fired.

Will Art Briles or Gary Patterson ever leave their schools?

If the money is right, either would jump at the chance. I do not know why Auburn is not looking at Dick Bumpas, the TCU DC. A game that comes to mind last season was the defensive lock down of Ole Miss in their bowl game. I think TCU's DC is one of the best out there.

If the money is right, either would jump at the chance. I do not know why Auburn is not looking at Dick Bumpas, the TCU DC. A game that comes to mind last season was the defensive lock down of Ole Miss in their bowl game. I think TCU's DC is one of the best out there.

If I recall correctly, Gary Patterson was interested in Auburn when both Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn were hired.

If I recall correctly, Gary Patterson was interested in Auburn when both Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn were hired.

I think it was the other way around... Auburn was interested in him, but he never reciprocated.

Reports are that Gene Chizik could be named HC of East Carolina (If posted already I missed it).

I think it was the other way around... Auburn was interested in him, but he never reciprocated.

He interviewed. That would indicate some form of interest on his part.

interest in a raise from tcu.

interest in a raise from tcu.

He was getting that anyway. I think he likes being TCU, and his job is certainly secure, but he was definitely interested in moving up from the Mountain West in 2008. His priorities have probably changed with TCU in the Big 12 now.

Things will turn out fine for us with our DC hire. I was OK with Kelly, but think it would be an absolute disaster with hiring Thompson as our DC. A very good recruiter and position coach. Leave Thompson right where he is. I think whoever we hire as our DC, should be given the flexibility to bring in his own staff.

Things will turn out fine for us with our DC hire. I was OK with Kelly, but think it would be an absolute disaster with hiring Thompson as our DC. A very good recruiter and position coach. Leave Thompson right where he is. I think whoever we hire as our DC, should be given the flexibility to bring in his own staff.

The question is will Thompson stay if he's not given the opportunity. I imagine any incoming DC would want to keep someone like LT around given his pedigree, that said I don't think promoting him would be disasterous... Maybe if we hire a nobody, but we should feasibly be bringing in someone who has proven they can coach a defense whether that be from a non power-5 school or FCS level.

You are in the wrong thread for Auburn DC conversation. This is about head coaching changes around the country.

Scottie Montgomery, OC at Duke, named as new head coach at East Carolina.

You are in the wrong thread for Auburn DC conversation. This is about head coaching changes around the country.

Scottie Montgomery, OC at Duke, named as new head coach at East Carolina.

Got a little off tangent there, sorry.

Archived