Coaching Carousel Watch

AURex

With the Texas loss and the upcoming loss to Baylor, is Strong out?

At 4-8 I'd think he is gone.

After going backwards? Yes. And not that I disagree with his decision, but cutting out the bad apples in the program last year, left him with no apples. Maybe he should've made due with what he inherited...

Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to go forward. If he hadn't cleaned house then he would have ended up in worse shape. His record wouldn't have been any better and he still would have to clean out the deadwood.

I agree here ...but when he got ready to do this he should have done a better job of warning his PTBs of what was coming. Good thing for CCS that he beat the Okies....saved his job...for now.....

The word I keep hearing is that Strong does not want to stay in Texas. So, regardless of what happens, he may be gone.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After going backwards? Yes. And not that I disagree with his decision, but cutting out the bad apples in the program last year, left him with no apples. Maybe he should've made due with what he inherited...

Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to go forward. If he hadn't cleaned house then he would have ended up in worse shape. His record wouldn't have been any better and he still would have to clean out the deadwood.

I agree here ...but when he got ready to do this he should have done a better job of warning his PTBs of what was coming. Good thing for CCS that he beat the Okies....saved his job...for now.....

The word I keep hearing is that Strong does not want to stay in Texas. So, regardless of what happens, he may be gone.

I don't think he was truly ready for the boosters that are there and the influence they have. Even at a big time program like Florida, they don't have that big of an issue with boosters.

I don't think he was truly ready for the boosters that are there and the influence they have. Even at a big time program like Florida, they don't have that big of an issue with boosters.

Yeah. I think the culture there is very unique and it takes a particular type of coach to thrive in that environment. Give him credit, Mack Brown was a terrific politician. Strong is simply not.

Whether the talk about Texas breaking the bank to try to get Saban is true, I don't know. He may have no interest in coaching there but he is a man who could handle the politics of a place like that.

Good list. That's 14 openings. Already got it set up with the current 14 openings. I'll wait until sunday at noon (give or take) in case there are other jobs that open up. This could be fun..

Minnesota has already hired the new head coach several weeks ago. 13.

Good list. That's 14 openings. Already got it set up with the current 14 openings. I'll wait until sunday at noon (give or take) in case there are other jobs that open up. This could be fun..

Minnesota has already hired the new head coach several weeks ago. 13.

Good catch. I just assumed it was an interim thing. I'll take that one off the list.

WT, I'm keeping the lists in my OP current, so you don;t have to go looking elsewhere for openings.

However, I really don't think starting a contest now is the best option. Several teams (like Texas and LSU) may open, but probably won 't announce until after the season is over. If those two teams open, that would change everything. If Miles and Strong are available to fill positions, and top tier coaches are sought for those two jobs, the guesses we make now could change quite a lot.

So I'd say to start it after the hammer drops at the end of the season -- well, that's just a week or maybe two away.

JMO.

WT, I'm keeping the lists in my OP current, so you don;t have to go looking elsewhere for openings.

However, I really don't think starting a contest now is the best option. Several teams (like Texas and LSU) may open, but probably won 't announce until after the season is over. If those two teams open, that would change everything. If Miles and Strong are available to fill positions, and top tier coaches are sought for those two jobs, the guesses we make now could change quite a lot.

So I'd say to start it after the hammer drops at the end of the season -- well, that's just a week or maybe two away.

JMO.

This is the last weekend of the regular season for most. For those that end the regular season next weekend, we will allow those to be added should they come open. There's really no good time to start this because job openings can be filled rather quickly and others can remain open for weeks. If we wait, we could very well reduce the number by the time we decided to start it. I'm starting it on Sunday.

Heard a comment from NS today that is quite revealing...about the program and him. Said...."we bring in coaches to do what we want them to do......most schools bring in coaches and let them do what they want to do. "

That's the reason that coaches come and go at bama but nothing changes...which might partly explain their consistency.

SO....that raises questions as to how much their DC or OCs are allowed to improvise...sounds like ...not much.

And so...do you really want a bama OC or DC to be your next HC?

Heard a comment from NS today that is quite revealing...about the program and him. Said...."we bring in coaches to do what we want them to do......most schools bring in coaches and let them do what they want to do. "

That's the reason that coaches come and go at bama but nothing changes...which might partly explain their consistency.

SO....that raises questions as to how much their DC or OCs are allowed to improvise...sounds like ...not much.

This is what I have been getting at this whole time. The head coach has a defensive and offensive philosophy and he brings in coaches to run it. That is why I asked what Gus's defensive philosophy was. No one really knows.

I thought it was 4-2-5 as thats what he ran at Arky state but I guess Gus doesn't care as long they stop the other team enough for him to outscore the other team

Depends on how well they can replicate what they've learned.

I thought it was 4-2-5 as thats what he ran at Arky state but I guess Gus doesn't care as long they stop the other team enough for him to outscore the other team

And there is your answer to Solomon's question about consistency in that other thread. We keep bringing in different coordinators with different philosophies and it breeds inconsistent play.

I've said for years that Smart is the DC in TITLE ONLY. Any school that takes him as head coach will be repeating the process in 4 years, IMO. There's just nothing there that would make me want to take a chance on him leading a program (if I were in that position).

This is what I have been getting at this whole time. The head coach has a defensive and offensive philosophy and he brings in coaches to run it. That is why I asked what Gus's defensive philosophy was. No one really knows.

Sure we do....Nick told us....it's what ever CWM wants to do this year......or whatever CEJ wanted to do last year.

Gus's only defensive "philosophy" is try and hire DCs who can hold the opposition to fewer points than his offense can score.

I've said for years that Smart is the DC in TITLE ONLY. Any school that takes him as head coach will be repeating the process in 4 years, IMO. There's just nothing there that would make me want to take a chance on him leading a program (if I were in that position).

WT I've seen you make this point countless times on this board. Would you please qualify your statement that he is a DC in "title only"? I'm just curious what you mean by that. I know people close to the program, including someone who's son is has been a graduate assistant for the defense for several years now, after playing at Alabama from 2008-2012. They have nothing but raving remarks about Kirby Smart. Obviously, you have stated that its your opinion, and you absolutely may be right. We don't know ​anything about Kirby Smart as a head coach. However, when you say that he's a DC in "title only" it seems to me that you are trying to say that Kirby Smart shouldn't be given any credit for coaching their defense, or that he isn't responsibly in any way for their scheme, their coaching, or their success. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but is that what you think? Even if Kirby is running Nick's defense, based off of the things that I've heard about Smart, I can't believe that he's simply a puppet.

All that aside, if you are going to hire a coordinator as your head coach, why wouldn't you look at Smart? Aside from "running" the Alabama defense through one of their greatest periods of success in school history, he has coached under an all-time head coach. Saban's greatest skill, in my opinion is not how he coaches on the field, but how he runs his program. If Smart has only been a coach in title, has he not at least been a student, pupil and witness to the most well run football program in the modern era? Does that count for nothing? We've seen plenty of great coordinators fail to become successful head coaches exactly because they haven't been good managers of their program. Kirby can at least say, "I know exactly what it takes to manage a top program, I've seen it every day for the past 8 years." Also, if Smart is just a puppet, certainly those in the position to hire for a school like USCe would know to what extent that is accurate. I'm not suggesting that South Carolina should hire him. I'm also not saying that you are wrong, because I'm not privy to the inner-workings of the Alabama program. I'm just curious what makes you feel so strongly about what you think.

WT I've seen you make this point countless times on this board. Would you please qualify your statement that he is a DC in "title only"? I'm just curious what you mean by that. I know people close to the program, including someone who's son is has been a graduate assistant for the defense for several years now, after playing at Alabama from 2008-2012. They have nothing but raving remarks about Kirby Smart. Obviously, you have stated that its your opinion, and you absolutely may be right. We don't know ​anything about Kirby Smart as a head coach. However, when you say that he's a DC in "title only" it seems to me that you are trying to say that Kirby Smart shouldn't be given any credit for coaching their defense, or that he isn't responsibly in any way for their scheme, their coaching, or their success. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but is that what you think? Even if Kirby is running Nick's defense, based off of the things that I've heard about Smart, I can't believe that he's simply a puppet.

All that aside, if you are going to hire a coordinator as your head coach, why wouldn't you look at Smart? Aside from "running" the Alabama defense through one of their greatest periods of success in school history, he has coached under an all-time head coach. Saban's greatest skill, in my opinion is not how he coaches on the field, but how he runs his program. If Smart has only been a coach in title, has he not at least been a student, pupil and witness to the most well run football program in the modern era? Does that count for nothing? We've seen plenty of great coordinators fail to become successful head coaches exactly because they haven't been good managers of their program. Kirby can at least say, "I know exactly what it takes to manage a top program, I've seen it every day for the past 8 years." Also, if Smart is just a puppet, certainly those in the position to hire for a school like USCe would know to what extent that is accurate. I'm not suggesting that South Carolina should hire him. I'm also not saying that you are wrong, because I'm not privy to the inner-workings of the Alabama program. I'm just curious what makes you feel so strongly about what you think.

Well, I think saying he's DC in title only is pretty self explanatory. But since you asked. I believe Saban to be totally in charge of everything on the defensive side of the ball. I believe this is Saban's defense much like I believe what we had when Tuberville was here was his defense. It didn't matter who the DC was at Auburn when Tuberville was here. Our defense was consistently good. Obviously some years were better than others, but the one commonality was Tuberville. IMO, uat's defense won't fall much if at all even if smart were to leave. He's running what saban wants him to run on defense and IMO has little to no say at all as to what defense they are in. Remember, saban is a control freak.

You are right, we don't know anything about Smart yet as a head coach. He may very well be successful if/when he gets the opportunity. Personally, I just don't see it. Apparently there are a lot of schools that don't see it either or he wouldn't have been passed over so much in recent years. His name surfaces every year and every year he gets passed over for someone else. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Well, I think saying he's DC in title only is pretty self explanatory. But since you asked. I believe Saban to be totally in charge of everything on the defensive side of the ball. I believe this is Saban's defense much like I believe what we had when Tuberville was here was his defense. It didn't matter who the DC was at Auburn when Tuberville was here. Our defense was consistently good. Obviously some years were better than others, but the one commonality was Tuberville. IMO, uat's defense won't fall much if at all even if smart were to leave. He's running what saban wants him to run on defense and IMO has little to no say at all as to what defense they are in. Remember, saban is a control freak.

You are right, we don't know anything about Smart yet as a head coach. He may very well be successful if/when he gets the opportunity. Personally, I just don't see it. Apparently there are a lot of schools that don't see it either or he wouldn't have been passed over so much in recent years. His name surfaces every year and every year he gets passed over for someone else. Just my opinion, nothing more.

I didn't think it was self-explanatory in this context, so thanks for helping me to understand your position. To clarify, do you concede that Smart is making the defensive calls from the sideline? I understand they are running Saban's defensive scheme. Smart might not have input into the game planning, I don't know. However, from what I can tell on Saturdays, Smart calls in the defense during the game. He doesn't typically relay the calls from Saban; he calls them on his own. This is evident to me when I watch on television. This is also evident through Saban interviews I have watched. Certainly there are times when they convene, or when Saban does make the call or relays it through Smart, but most of the time Smart appears to be calling the defense on his own. That's just what I see and understand. Is calling plays not a principal duty of a coordinator? I think it is, which is why I asked for you to clarify your position.

Our defense under Tuberville did look slightly different schematically depending on who the DC was. The reason why it always looked good under Tuberville, and why it always looks good under Saban, is because they instilled solid defensive fundamentals and effort which transcends past simple X's and O's. If your guys give good effort and play fundamentally sound and disciplined football, then it doesn't really matter what type of defense you run.

Kirby Smart does way more than you give him credit for. Go back and look at the 2010 Iron Bowl when we ran that misdirection play to Lutz which gave us the lead in the 4th quarter: Saban is seen on the sidelines in a heated exchange with Kirby Smart. Why? If he's just a "puppet", why would he get mad at Kirby Smart for that play-call?

Our defense under Tuberville did look slightly different schematically depending on who the DC was. The reason why it always looked good under Tuberville, and why it always looks good under Saban, is because they instilled solid defensive fundamentals and effort which transcends past simple X's and O's. If your guys give good effort and play fundamentally sound and disciplined football, then it doesn't really matter what type of defense you run.

Kirby Smart does way more than you give him credit for. Go back and look at the 2010 Iron Bowl when we ran that misdirection play to Lutz which gave us the lead in the 4th quarter: Saban is seen on the sidelines in a heated exchange with Kirby Smart. Why? If he's just a "puppet", why would he get mad at Kirby Smart for that play-call?

This is kind of what I'm getting at. Its one thing to say, "he won't be a good head coach." Its another to say that he doesn't perform any of the duties of a coordinator. I doubt Saban would keep around 1.3 million dollars of dead weight each year when he could hire a nobody for a fraction of the cost to serve as an "in name only" coordinator.

HC runs the football program...not just the defense. JMO but KS probably spent most of his time implementing NS's defense....and not much time learning about being a HC.....maybe other than emulating what NS would do. But I do wonder how he would manage media relations, recruiting, his ability to hire good coordinators and assistants....all the things that HCs do that coordinators have no part in . If USCe is fine with him....that;s good by me....just saying that I would prefer someone who has been around a bit, has contacts that would enable him to fill out a coaching staff and handle alum relations. etc.

HC runs the football program...not just the defense. JMO but KS probably spent most of his time implementing NS's defense....and not much time learning about being a HC.....maybe other than emulating what NS would do. But I do wonder how he would manage media relations, recruiting, his ability to hire good coordinators and assistants....all the things that HCs do that coordinators have no part in . If USCe is fine with him....that;s good by me....just saying that I would prefer someone who has been around a bit, has contacts that would enable him to fill out a coaching staff and handle alum relations. etc.

Those questions are asked about every assistant coach. They aren't unique to Kirby Smart.

Sure we do....Nick told us....it's what ever CWM wants to do this year......or whatever CEJ wanted to do last year.

Gus's only defensive "philosophy" is try and hire DCs who can hold the opposition to fewer points than his offense can score.

And this is why our defense has sucked for so long. And Meta makes a good point about Tubs. He had a defensive philosophy that was the base for whatever dcoordinator came in. Small tweaks may have been made, but the core philosophy stayed the same.

Those questions are asked about every assistant coach. They aren't unique to Kirby Smart.

Absolutely....KS is the subject of the discussion but I would have the same comments about any coordinator stepping up to the HC job at a Power 5 School. I could see that it might be necessary to "settle" for a well known OC or DC...but just seems too early to take that step .... :dunno:

Absolutely....KS is the subject of the discussion but I would have the same comments about any coordinator stepping up to the HC job at a Power 5 School. I could see that it might be necessary to "settle" for a well known OC or DC...but just seems to early to take that step .... :dunno:

Yeah, I don't know enough to say whether he's a good fit or hire for USCe. There are certainly more well known commodities out there. That being said, its definitely a risk any time you hire a coordinator. It would be interesting to see how a guy like Smart would do at UCF, for instance.

Archived