Coaching Carousel Watch

AURex

Heard a comment from NS today that is quite revealing...about the program and him. Said...."we bring in coaches to do what we want them to do......most schools bring in coaches and let them do what they want to do. "

That's the reason that coaches come and go at bama but nothing changes...which might partly explain their consistency.

SO....that raises questions as to how much their DC or OCs are allowed to improvise...sounds like ...not much.

And so...do you really want a bama OC or DC to be your next HC?

Depends on how well they can replicate what they've learned.

HC runs the football program...not just the defense. JMO but KS probably spent most of his time implementing NS's defense....and not much time learning about being a HC.....maybe other than emulating what NS would do. But I do wonder how he would manage media relations, recruiting, his ability to hire good coordinators and assistants....all the things that HCs do that coordinators have no part in . If USCe is fine with him....that;s good by me....just saying that I would prefer someone who has been around a bit, has contacts that would enable him to fill out a coaching staff and handle alum relations. etc.

Those questions are asked about every assistant coach. They aren't unique to Kirby Smart.

Absolutely....KS is the subject of the discussion but I would have the same comments about any coordinator stepping up to the HC job at a Power 5 School. I could see that it might be necessary to "settle" for a well known OC or DC...but just seems to early to take that step .... :dunno:

Yeah, I don't know enough to say whether he's a good fit or hire for USCe. There are certainly more well known commodities out there. That being said, its definitely a risk any time you hire a coordinator. It would be interesting to see how a guy like Smart would do at UCF, for instance.

Agree...some good developmental jobs will be available...UCF, Memphis, Houston, Toledo...and others...wherever coaches move up to the next level and the school might want a "name' replacement.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HC runs the football program...not just the defense. JMO but KS probably spent most of his time implementing NS's defense....and not much time learning about being a HC.....maybe other than emulating what NS would do. But I do wonder how he would manage media relations, recruiting, his ability to hire good coordinators and assistants....all the things that HCs do that coordinators have no part in . If USCe is fine with him....that;s good by me....just saying that I would prefer someone who has been around a bit, has contacts that would enable him to fill out a coaching staff and handle alum relations. etc.

Whether or not Kirby Smart can be a HC is up for debate, but a lot of the stuff you brought up here doesn't really stand up to reality. Why wouldn't Kirby Smart have coaching contacts? He's only been at the top-end of NCAA football for over a decade; even before Alabama he spent seasons at Georgia and LSU, and he served as a GA at FSU under Bowden...and even spent a year in the NFL. He's an established name thats been around the block. Recruiting has also never been an issue for Smart, and he's been around Saban long enough to pick up the behind-the-scenes recruiting management.

Whether or not Kirby Smart can be a HC is up for debate, but a lot of the stuff you brought up here doesn't really stand up to reality. Why wouldn't Kirby Smart have coaching contacts? He's only been at the top-end of NCAA football for over a decade; even before Alabama he spent seasons at Georgia and LSU, and he served as a GA at FSU under Bowden...and even spent a year in the NFL. He's an established name thats been around the block. Recruiting has also never been an issue for Smart, and he's been around Saban long enough to pick up the behind-the-scenes recruiting management.

Possibly..... but how many good experienced coordinators or assistants are going to hitch their wagon to a DC moving up to HC? And maybe it's just the way the program is run over there....but I don't recall any bama recruit being excited about a visit from KS or indicating that KS is the reason he picked the tide. Just sayin'.....I don't think all that NS association necessarily rubs off .......

That said.....I would be happy for USCe to take him....would put a little dent in bama and not likely to make USCe any more competitive than have been lately. JMO

I agree w WT. smart is a "puppet" if you wish to use that term. saban has TOTAL control of everything involving uat football. JMHO

I agree w WT. smart is a "puppet" if you wish to use that term. saban has TOTAL control of everything involving uat football. JMHO

So you think this guy is dominating the highest level of football all by himself while everyone else around him is just a "puppet"? I mean, it simply isn't possible.

Go read any coaching testimonials about Saban from people who worked under him. He's the best at what he does because he extracts perfection out of anyone working under him, which results in an establishment that is absurdly proficient. It is also why working for him is so challenging/straining.

Here is Travis Trickett's (current Samford OC, son of Rick Trickett) retelling of his one year as GA under Saban:

“One thing I noticed about him is how he builds the infrastructure of a program,” Trickett said. “Not everybody wants to be a head coach, but I do. Being around him, seeing how he sets up the structure of a program from top to bottom, from training room to weight room to academics to everything, it’s a talent that not everyone has. He has the ability to, whatever your job may be — student assistant, GA, part-time coach — Coach Saban has the ability to make whoever is in that building feel like, whatever job they’ve got, it’s the most important job. If they don’t do their job, the program won’t run. Everybody has that sense of urgency in the entire building.

“Whether it’s in the weight room, you could be running a camp, and — Geoff Collins, Jeremy Pruitt and I were off-field — we had to make sure the kids were loaded on the buses at summer camp. You felt like that job was so important, because if you didn’t do it, you could get (in trouble). You make sure, whatever you’re assigned, was done to the best it could possibly be done. I don’t know how he does it, but he just has that command. He makes you better.

“I saw him make all the coaches that coach under him better, because he has that sense of urgency. Because the way he pushes you and questions, ‘Why are you doing this? Have you thought about doing that?’ He has a clear vision. He’s extremely smart. That was something, as far as infrastructure and how serious the business of college football is, it was great.”

but I don't recall any bama recruit being excited about a visit from KS or indicating that KS is the reason he picked the tide. Just sayin'.....I don't think all that NS association necessarily rubs off .......

Kirby Smart is a very strong recruiter and has been the orchestrator behind an absurd amount of their top signees, particularly within Georgia and Alabama. Your view here couldn't be further from the truth. This was one of the bigger selling points to Smart back when we interviewed him: everyone knows that Smart can recruit, we didn't have a full sense of how well Malzahn could sell the program. Kirby Smart was the primary recruiter for both Rashaan Evans and Reuben Foster, if you want some examples of what he's cooked up. He was also the primary recruiter on Corey Grant when they took him from right under our noses.

but I don't recall any bama recruit being excited about a visit from KS or indicating that KS is the reason he picked the tide. Just sayin'.....I don't think all that NS association necessarily rubs off .......

Kirby Smart is a very strong recruiter and has been the orchestrator behind an absurd amount of their top signees, particularly within Georgia and Alabama. Your view here couldn't be further from the truth. This was one of the bigger selling points to Smart back when we interviewed him: everyone knows that Smart can recruit, we didn't have a full sense of how well Malzahn could sell the program. Kirby Smart was the primary recruiter for both Rashaan Evans and Reuben Foster, if you want some examples of what he's cooked up. He was also the primary recruiter on Corey Grant when they took him from right under our noses.

I take your word for that if you say so....I just haven't seen much reference in the recruiting narratives....but as for Gus....I wonder how good a recruiter he is....we seem to miss a lot of our major targets....those you mentioned from the area for instance...though I understand that some kids look to get away from home when they head off to college. I guess in time the truth will be revealed about both KS and GM.

I think Smart does have some leeway but that is Nick's defense and program. I think Smart likes what he is doing and if I were him ...I would stay at UA instead of going to USC....I think he could get a better gig, possibly UGA if Richt leaves....jmo

So you think this guy is dominating the highest level of football all by himself while everyone else around him is just a "puppet"? I mean, it simply isn't possible.

Go read any coaching testimonials about Saban from people who worked under him. He's the best at what he does because he extracts perfection out of anyone working under him, which results in an establishment that is absurdly proficient. It is also why working for him is so challenging/straining.

Here is Travis Trickett's (current Samford OC, son of Rick Trickett) retelling of his one year as GA under Saban:

“One thing I noticed about him is how he builds the infrastructure of a program,” Trickett said. “Not everybody wants to be a head coach, but I do. Being around him, seeing how he sets up the structure of a program from top to bottom, from training room to weight room to academics to everything, it’s a talent that not everyone has. He has the ability to, whatever your job may be — student assistant, GA, part-time coach — Coach Saban has the ability to make whoever is in that building feel like, whatever job they’ve got, it’s the most important job. If they don’t do their job, the program won’t run. Everybody has that sense of urgency in the entire building.

“Whether it’s in the weight room, you could be running a camp, and — Geoff Collins, Jeremy Pruitt and I were off-field — we had to make sure the kids were loaded on the buses at summer camp. You felt like that job was so important, because if you didn’t do it, you could get (in trouble). You make sure, whatever you’re assigned, was done to the best it could possibly be done. I don’t know how he does it, but he just has that command. He makes you better.

“I saw him make all the coaches that coach under him better, because he has that sense of urgency. Because the way he pushes you and questions, ‘Why are you doing this? Have you thought about doing that?’ He has a clear vision. He’s extremely smart. That was something, as far as infrastructure and how serious the business of college football is, it was great.”

Fascinating post. Thanks Meta.

If all of sabans coordinators are "puppets", how come florida's coach wins everywhere he has been? If Saban has taught kiffin anything about responsibility, he will make a good head coach too. The guy can recruit and run an offense. It maybe sabans defense, but smart is calling the plays. If people can't see that, they aren't watching the game.

If all of sabans coordinators are "puppets", how come florida's coach wins everywhere he has been? If Saban has taught kiffin anything about responsibility, he will make a good head coach too. The guy can recruit and run an offense. It maybe sabans defense, but smart is calling the plays. If people can't see that, they aren't watching the game.

Let's wait on the McElwain praise ...it's only been one year. Any other Saban disciples making hay in the head coaching ranks? I can't think of one besides Muschamp and we all saw how that went after year 1....

Let's wait on the McElwain praise ...it's only been one year. Any other Saban disciples making hay in the head coaching ranks? I can't think of one besides Muschamp and we all saw how that went after year 1....

I think he was also referring to what McElwain accomplished at Colorado State.

He worked under Saban for 4 years. How much of his success do attribute to that period and how much to his other stops?

As for Smart, we'll just have to see him operate where he is the one with the responsibility for a program. I am not going to call him a puppet but recruiting to Alabama is far different than anywhere else. Even Mike Shula was able to get good recruits. I could get a top 10 class with that machine behind me.

He worked under Saban for 4 years. How much of his success do attribute to that period and how much to his other stops?

As for Smart, we'll just have to see him operate where he is the one with the responsibility for a program. I am not going to call him a puppet but recruiting to Alabama is far different than anywhere else. Even Mike Shula was able to get good recruits. I could get a top 10 class with that machine behind me.

No doubt recruiting with the "bama brand" on his business card gives any coach a head start in the credibility race. Despite having a well known coach like Spurrier, USCe was never much of a recruiting threat outside of South Carolina....well maybe into southern North Carolina. Not sure who could turn that around.

And philosophically, would Smart have the attitude that using Nick's offense and defense would be the way to beat his former boss?

Guess if I were the AD I would be looking for one of the new generation coaches who would bring HUNH, spread or something that has historically given bama and other SEC schools some problems. USCe is never in my lifetime going to match up with UGa, LSU, Bama..and probably UF in the talent race year in and year out.

Tanner has a tough decision at USCe.

Will Art Briles or Gary Patterson ever leave their schools?

Why should they? They have built programso that can compare with anyone.

And if they have an off year, they don't have to worried about being fired.

Archived