Coaching Carousel Watch

AURex

Saban isn't going to go to Texas. I don't know why people keep thinking that.

Because Texas has made it abundantly clear that they are willing to open up Fork Knox to get him. HUGE payday plus fed up with the bama faithful = jump ship.

At this point in his career, and with the money he is getting at Alabama, I don't believe money will motivate him. Also, what makes you think the Texas faithful would be any better? If anything, the expectations will be higher, especially if they shell out the kind of money people think they would. At this point it's only wishful thinking among other SEC west fan bases.

Texas fans are better than Alabama fans. As lion out it, Alabama has the market corned on crazy and stupid. Let's not forget the wife has complained about Alabama fans.

Yes there will be high expectations, but he is already use to that.

Texas will be easier to recruit than Alabama. Heck most of the time Texas's recruiting class was already filled before Summer was even over.

The media there has other sports to zero in on also that are just as important in Texas including multiple pro baseball teams, multiple pro football teams, multiple pro basketball teams, and a NHL organization. I knew plenty of people that could care less about college football and the most important thing was the Dallas Cowboys.

Do we really have to even address the quality of life in Austin vs the quality of life in Tuscaloosa?

Texas will open the books also.

Would he go now I am not sure (I think he was gone last year until Brown got involved and the administration screwed the pooch to be honest). But I can think of many reasons to leave Tuscaloosa for Austin.

His giant ego that counters his small stature. He could become the first coach to win natys at three different schools. The reps from UT will be saying that he might even get a annual trophy with his name on it for doing so...

There are reasons why the Texas job might be better than the Alabama job, sure. None of them are compelling enough to warrant Saban leaving Tuscaloosa, in my opinion.

The Texas "fans" might not be as bad as Alabama fans when it comes to crazy and stupid, but I stand by my statement that the expectations would probably be higher, especially if they are going to pay him as much as some think. Saban was a commodity when Alabama hired him, now he's been elevated to something entirely different. Texas would expect championships at the same rate that Alabama fans do, and expect them immediately.

Saban already has a well oiled machine in Tuscaloosa. They already recruit the number one class in the country every year. He's already getting paid more than anyone else. He already has top of the line facilities. He already has every resource he needs.

Most importantly, he's already established top to bottom what he wants in his program. Everyone from his staff, to the athletic department, to the BOT, the donors, the fans, the media etc. do things the way he wants them. He's already built all the important relationships. He's already shaken all the right hands and kissed all the babies. The culture at Alabama reflects Nick Saban.

I don't think anyone doubts that Saban could make Texas successful. I'm sure that he could. I'm sure he knows that he could, but its all the other BS that college coaches have to put up with that I can't imagine Saban wanting to start over with at another school. Are there aspects of the Texas job that mighe be attractive? Absolutely, but not attractive enough to leave a near perfect situation. It's nice to think about him leaving, but its just not going to happen, at least to another school. Obviously, all of this is my opinion.

And what is another thing that happens when people conquer, get everything lined up like they want them, or have everything they want, what people would refer to as perfect?...... they get bored. Which brings in the making history with 3 NC at 3 schools.

I have no clue if he would leave or not, but people saying he will never leave are just as wishful thinking as those that say he would. Lol like the Alabama fans that think Tuscaloosa actually compares to Austin in terms of quality of life and listing that as a reason Austin would be out.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about Saban to Texas the last few years makes me wonder if he would want the headache of dealing with all the spread and air-raid teams the Big 12 has (or their tempo), that he would have to coach against every year. We know he hates the HUNH; Texas would mean he would have to deal with Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech. All of them use at least some form of HUNH. I don't doubt the man's coaching ability at all, but I also don't see him reproducing Alabama's results in that conference.

Ha, I work with a huge Bama fan. I love kidding him about the Texas thing. I've said this to him for fun that Saban probably won't leave cause Briles, Gundy, and Stoops scare him.

Saban isn't going to go to Texas. I don't know why people keep thinking that.

Because Texas has made it abundantly clear that they are willing to open up Fork Knox to get him. HUGE payday plus fed up with the bama faithful = jump ship.

At this point in his career, and with the money he is getting at Alabama, I don't believe money will motivate him. Also, what makes you think the Texas faithful would be any better? If anything, the expectations will be higher, especially if they shell out the kind of money people think they would. At this point it's only wishful thinking among other SEC west fan bases.

Texas fans are better than Alabama fans. As lion out it, Alabama has the market corned on crazy and stupid. Let's not forget the wife has complained about Alabama fans.

Yes there will be high expectations, but he is already use to that.

Texas will be easier to recruit than Alabama. Heck most of the time Texas's recruiting class was already filled before Summer was even over.

The media there has other sports to zero in on also that are just as important in Texas including multiple pro baseball teams, multiple pro football teams, multiple pro basketball teams, and a NHL organization. I knew plenty of people that could care less about college football and the most important thing was the Dallas Cowboys.

Do we really have to even address the quality of life in Austin vs the quality of life in Tuscaloosa?

Texas will open the books also.

Would he go now I am not sure (I think he was gone last year until Brown got involved and the administration screwed the pooch to be honest). But I can think of many reasons to leave Tuscaloosa for Austin.

His giant ego that counters his small stature. He could become the first coach to win natys at three different schools. The reps from UT will be saying that he might even get a annual trophy with his name on it for doing so...

There are reasons why the Texas job might be better than the Alabama job, sure. None of them are compelling enough to warrant Saban leaving Tuscaloosa, in my opinion.

The Texas "fans" might not be as bad as Alabama fans when it comes to crazy and stupid, but I stand by my statement that the expectations would probably be higher, especially if they are going to pay him as much as some think. Saban was a commodity when Alabama hired him, now he's been elevated to something entirely different. Texas would expect championships at the same rate that Alabama fans do, and expect them immediately.

Saban already has a well oiled machine in Tuscaloosa. They already recruit the number one class in the country every year. He's already getting paid more than anyone else. He already has top of the line facilities. He already has every resource he needs.

Most importantly, he's already established top to bottom what he wants in his program. Everyone from his staff, to the athletic department, to the BOT, the donors, the fans, the media etc. do things the way he wants them. He's already built all the important relationships. He's already shaken all the right hands and kissed all the babies. The culture at Alabama reflects Nick Saban.

I don't think anyone doubts that Saban could make Texas successful. I'm sure that he could. I'm sure he knows that he could, but its all the other BS that college coaches have to put up with that I can't imagine Saban wanting to start over with at another school. Are there aspects of the Texas job that mighe be attractive? Absolutely, but not attractive enough to leave a near perfect situation. It's nice to think about him leaving, but its just not going to happen, at least to another school. Obviously, all of this is my opinion.

And what is another thing that happens when people conquer, get everything lined up like they want them, or have everything they want, what people would refer to as perfect?...... they get bored. Which brings in the making history with 3 NC at 3 schools.

I have no clue if he would leave or not, but people saying he will never leave are just as wishful thinking as those that say he would. Lol like the Alabama fans that think Tuscaloosa actually compares to Austin in terms of quality of life and listing that as a reason Austin would be out.

I never said he would never leave Tuscaloosa. I do think he'll retire there, but the only move I see him making is back to the pros.

Malzahn needs to bring in a new OC, OL coach and DL coach. Norm Chow would be a good hire to replace Lashlee.

Norm Chow???

There are many good ones out there for the right price.

Seems to me there are three possible paths for Saban:

1. If he's feeling like slowing down, relaxing a little more as he coasts into retirement, he stays where he is. Yes, under most situations T-Town and its fans are the most high stress, irritating, and hard to please in college football. But when push comes to shove, he knows he has Bammers firmly in his pocket with their lips permanently attached to his derriere. Unless it becomes obvious that he's clearly mailing it in with no dedication to the program, or a major off-the-field scandal involving him or the program erupts, he can pretty much do what he wants for as long as he wants and they'll still be worshiping at his statue.

But if his ego needs one more fix, then:

2. A NC at a third school, especially one with the potential and $$$$$$ of Texas, could look sweet, or,

3. One more shot at NFL fame having conquered college ball could be irresistible to the ego-addicted.

I'd say the last of the three is the least likely. Is he ready to coast into retirement or does he want to tack one more conquest onto his legend? (Of course, a lot of great generals in history met their demise when they reached too far or took on one too many battles. There's no guarantee of success.)

I don't think money, per se, is a factor. He's not concerned about money at this point. But breaking the bank and setting the bar in the college HC ranks does carry its own ego strokes

WarTiger,

Sounds like we need "TD Auburn Bowl" type competition for the Coaching Carousel - see who can match up the next coach to the current vacancies.....

Here goes my prediction of how the college world will shift over the next month. I predict that Jimbo Fischer will stay at FSU; Charlie Strong will stay at Texas; and the negative publicity that LSU will get from firing Les Miles will make UGA think twice and decide to keep Mark Richt after he beats Ga Tech this weekend.

USCw - Chip Kelley

USCe - Kirby Smart

LSU - Tom Herman

Miami - Mario Cristobal

Va Tech - Dan Mullen

Maryland - DJ Durkin

Illinois - Lane Kiffin

Iowa State - Bud Foster

Missouri - Justin Fuente

Syracuse - Ed Orgeron

UCF - Gene Chizik

Jobs that will open up as a result of these moves

Miss. St - Geoff Collins

Memphis - Barry Odom

Houston - Kendall Briles

Finally, Les Miles will join ESPN Gameday as Lee Corso's replacement!

WarTiger,

Sounds like we need "TD Auburn Bowl" type competition for the Coaching Carousel - see who can match up the next coach to the current vacancies.....

Good idea!

Here goes my prediction of how the college world will shift over the next month. I predict that Jimbo Fischer will stay at FSU; Charlie Strong will stay at Texas; and the negative publicity that LSU will get from firing Les Miles will make UGA think twice and decide to keep Mark Richt after he beats Ga Tech this weekend.

USCw - Chip Kelley

USCe - Kirby Smart

LSU - Tom Herman

Miami - Mario Cristobal

Va Tech - Dan Mullen

Maryland - DJ Durkin

Illinois - Lane Kiffin

Iowa State - Bud Foster

Missouri - Justin Fuente

Syracuse - Ed Orgeron

UCF - Gene Chizik

Miss. St - Geoff Collins

Memphis - Barry Odom

Houston - Kendall Briles

That's a pretty good assessment. I think if miss state opens up, Hudspeth would end up there.

WarTiger,

Good idea!

I could probably do it for sure. The only problem is, we don't know from one day to the next the number of openings we have. If someone wants to shoot me a PM with the schools that already have openings (not expected too but already announced changes that are coming), I can see what I can do. I have a long weekend, so I could probably put it together. Would be kinda fun too I think.

WarTiger,

Good idea!

I could probably do it for sure. The only problem is, we don't know from one day to the next the number of openings we have. If someone wants to shoot me a PM with the schools that already have openings (not expected too but already announced changes that are coming), I can see what I can do. I have a long weekend, so I could probably put it together. Would be kinda fun too I think.

Thanks WT!! Could be fun!!

The only openings I can recall off hand are: South Carolina, Missouri, Miami, Virginia tech, Iowa State. Who has a complete list they can PM me? Again, Only jobs that are already KNOWN to be open. No projections.

I'm also wondering how we set a cutoff date for selections. We never know how long these jobs are going to be open. How long do we take entries for this kind of thing? Thoughts?

The only openings I can recall off hand are: South Carolina, Missouri, Miami, Virginia tech, Iowa State. Who has a complete list they can PM me? Again, Only jobs that are already KNOWN to be open. No projections.

I'm also wondering how we set a cutoff date for selections. We never know how long these jobs are going to be open. How long do we take entries for this kind of thing? Thoughts?

I would say next Saturday? Some jobs might open up after this weekend.

Good list. That's 14 openings. Already got it set up with the current 14 openings. I'll wait until sunday at noon (give or take) in case there are other jobs that open up. This could be fun..

USCw - Chip Kelley

USCe - Kirby Smart

LSU - Tom Herman

Miami - Mario Cristobal

Va Tech - Dan Mullen

Maryland - DJ Durkin

Illinois - Lane Kiffin

Iowa State - Bud Foster

Missouri - Justin Fuente

Syracuse - Ed Orgeron

UCF - Gene Chizik

Miss. St - Geoff Collins

Memphis - Barry Odom

Houston - Kendall Briles

Creative selections and as good a place to start as anywhere else. I thought it was foregone conclusion that Foster would stay at VaTech....and hard to see any advantage for Mullen to go to VaTech...except to get out of the SEC. And why would anyone go to Iowa State at any salary?

Should be an interesting post-Christmas.

With the Texas loss and the upcoming loss to Baylor, is Strong out?

At 4-8 I'd think he is gone.

After going backwards? Yes. And not that I disagree with his decision, but cutting out the bad apples in the program last year, left him with no apples. Maybe he should've made due with what he inherited...

After going backwards? Yes. And not that I disagree with his decision, but cutting out the bad apples in the program last year, left him with no apples. Maybe he should've made due with what he inherited...

Only leave if he can find a way to take #25 with him....the guy's a freshman...and a race horse. Mostly UTx needs a QB and some defensive help.

But..that was a fun game to watch last night....foretaste of some of the bowl games between 6-6 teams perhaps.

Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to go forward. If he hadn't cleaned house then he would have ended up in worse shape. His record wouldn't have been any better and he still would have to clean out the deadwood.

Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to go forward. If he hadn't cleaned house then he would have ended up in worse shape. His record wouldn't have been any better and he still would have to clean out the deadwood.

I agree here ...but when he got ready to do this he should have done a better job of warning his PTBs of what was coming. Good thing for CCS that he beat the Okies....saved his job...for now.....

Archived