Chris Stapleton and Justin Timberlake - 2015 CMA Awards

RunInRed

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Stapleton. I don't listen to country radio anymore, but this dude has some serious pipes. Between him and Sturgill Simpson, I'm coming back around to this genre.

Timberlake has seriously impressed me in the last few years.

They burned the place down. Every other act, even the good ones, paled by comparison. What a great pairing.

Also, the chick next to Stapleton was bringing it too. She's his wife.

@Tiger Refuge.....

If you enjoy Simpson and Stapleton, check out Jason Isbell and his band the 400 Unit. He also tours with his wife Amanda Shires, although she is expecting and off the road right now...Great music. Also, check out a genre of music titled, "Americana"....a roots music genre of sorts, alt country/singer-songwriter driven and you will NEVER hear it on mainstream country radio. Some serious talent out there.

Check out the artist on the Sugar Hill Record label...a whole lot of what you might like...

This can lead you to all sorts of stuff you might be interested in.

http://americanamusic.org/

@Tiger Refuge.....

If you enjoy Simpson and Stapleton, check out Jason Isbell and his band the 400 Unit. He also tours with his wife Amanda Shires, although she is expecting and off the road right now...Great music. Also, check out a genre of music titled, "Americana"....a roots music genre of sorts, alt country/singer-songwriter driven and you will NEVER hear it on mainstream country radio. Some serious talent out there.

Check out the artist on the Sugar Hill Record label...a whole lot of what you might like...

This can lead you to all sorts of stuff you might be interested in.

http://americanamusic.org/

I just started listening to Isbell a few months ago. I really like his stuff. He and Sturgill played in Turdtown a couple of weeks ago...I would have gone to that.

Thanks for the recommendations and info! I'm sort of rediscovering my love for music as it were. Had someone drop a band from Texas on me last week...Eleven Hundred Springs. There is all kinds of great music out there right now.

No problem.

Caitlin Rose, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Cross Canadian Ragweed and the solo and different bands that came from it, Paul Thorn..

On youtube, search a channel called, "MusicFog"......a list of roughly 1000 Americana vids and artists.....updated somewhat regularly..

Buy a lot ;) ...enjoy.

These guys blew that place away! It was epic.

Epic indeed. Not sure I've seen a better performance on tv given it was only two songs.

TT, are you still in the music business?

What is called country music today is not country music. It is good to see people like Chris bringing real country back to it's roots. There are a few others trying to bring country back but most "country" artist are doing the pop country. Actually some of the pop country artists are not country at all.

No problem.

Caitlin Rose, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Cross Canadian Ragweed and the solo and different bands that came from it, Paul Thorn..

On youtube, search a channel called, "MusicFog"......a list of roughly 1000 Americana vids and artists.....updated somewhat regularly..

Buy a lot ;) ...enjoy.

I think some of these crossover to Red Dirt, another interesting genre. Good music.

Cross Canadian Ragweed is a prime example of Red Dirt music. Most people will consider it a part of Americana but, Texans and Okies get a bit protective of the term and with some reason. Quite good. Green River Ordinance is another great band that rides in and out of the sub-genre...

Americana is a vast span of musical styles. Even can include some blues musicians, like Keb Mo for instance.

Keb Mo is a Grammy winner, played with Vince Gill at the Opry, Bonnie Raitt on tour and has quite the career on his own. Deep catalog. A lot of surprising and varied artists can be found in Americana. It's a shame but Europeans know it better than most Americans.

Performance was outstanding. Timberlake owned that stage.

.... perhaps the wee parts not owned by Stapeton.

But it's just different strokes for different folks. I thought he ruled the stage even on JT's own song. The man is seriously talented, but it's what you like that matters. not what someone tells you is great.

Second that look into Americana music, however with all the sub-genre's it that's almost like saying look up rock-n-roll. ... on one extreme have been listening

who's a
song writer and on another extreme
lately they do a mighty fine Jim Croce cover... (Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan).

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I thought it was a total abomination. It was completely and utterly HORRIBLE. I'm not the least bit a fan of whatever kind of music that show was for. It sure wasn't country. Guess its just not my style because I hated it.

Cross Canadian Ragweed is a prime example of Red Dirt music. Most people will consider it a part of Americana but, Texans and Okies get a bit protective of the term and with some reason. Quite good. Green River Ordinance is another great band that rides in and out of the sub-genre...

Americana is a vast span of musical styles. Even can include some blues musicians, like Keb Mo for instance.

Keb Mo is a Grammy winner, played with Vince Gill at the Opry, Bonnie Raitt on tour and has quite the career on his own. Deep catalog. A lot of surprising and varied artists can be found in Americana. It's a shame but Europeans know it better than most Americans.

Big fan of Stoney Larue and Mike McClure. Both longtime Red Dirt musicians.

One of my favorites...

Dang. We need to start a music page. Good stuff.

Yep, kids with a high dollar earning career and most people have never heard of them.....Very talented.

Thanks

Never enough good music from Texas Boys with good songs and guitars... and no footballs.

Archived