24 Black Missouri Football Players Will Boycott Football Activities

cptau

24 black players have announced they will not participate in football activities until the Missouri president is removed. They are joining in a campus wide boycott organized by a group called "Concerned Student 1950". 1950 is the year the school integrated. The group believes there are racial problems at the school and apparently they think the school's president is ignoring or not taking their complaints seriously.

Black Missouri football players plan to join Wolfe protest through boycott

http://www.columbiam...f5cd4cfb9e.html

COLUMBIA — Missouri football's black players will boycott football activities until UM System President Tim Wolfe is removed from office, they announced on Twitter Saturday.

"We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experiences," the players announced in a tweet sent from the Legion of Black Collegians account.

"We're working to get our hands around the facts of the situation right now," said Chad Moller, associate athletic director/athletic communication, said in a text message Saturday night.

Sixty of the 124 players listed on the Missouri football roster are black. It is undetermined how many of the players have agreed to the boycott. The team is next scheduled to play Saturday against Brigham Young at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium. The game is scheduled to be televised on the SEC Network. "At media day (Monday afternoon) we will be discussing this and answering questions on this topic," safety Thomas Wilson said in a message to the Missourian. Two other players refused to comment on the situation Saturday night.

The boycott comes a week into a hunger strike by MU graduate student Jonathan Butler. Butler sent a letter to the UM System Board of Curators on Nov. 2 announcing he would not eat until Wolfe was removed from office. Butler's decision came three weeks after Concerned Student 1950 stopped Wolfe’s car during the Homecoming Parade and a week after the group met privately with Wolfe.

Butler, a master's student in educational leadership and policy analysis, is protesting "a slew of racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., incidents that have dynamically disrupted the learning experience" at MU. His letter referenced incidents of black students being called racist slurs, the sudden removal of graduate student health insurance subsidies in August, MU's cancellation of Planned Parenthood contracts and the swastika drawn with human feces found in an MU residence hall on Oct. 24.

Missouri athletics department's official Twitter account released a statement at 10:03 p.m. reading: "The department of athletics is aware of the declarations made tonight by many our student-athletes. We must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackles these challenging issues and we support our athletes right to do so." According to Shelby Parnell and Storm Ervin, original members of Concerned Student 1950, a football player met with the group's leaders on Wednesday to discuss ways to involve the team. The player, who leaders declined to name, met with Butler . Concerned Student 1950 is a student activism group spearheading the protests. It's named after the year black students were first admitted to Missouri.

The player came up with the idea of boycotting football activities, which include practices, games, workouts and team meetings. Some team members told that player they pledged not to visit the Mizzou Athletic Training Complex until Wolfe is removed. "They came to us talking about boycotting and what they had already done," Parnell said. "A lot of that meeting was spent talking about details."

Over the next three days, black football players mulled over the decision. Some doubted the impact their protest could have, Ervin said. "You could tell a lot of people were questioning what if this happens or what if that happens," Parnell said. "A lot of things were solidified in that meeting. "They were the ones who didn't realize their impact," Parnell added. "We were telling them, 'You don't realize how much power you have.'"

That original player talked with other teammates who agreed to the boycott, then informed coaches of the plan Saturday. Team strength and conditioning coach Pat Ivey visited the Concerned Student 1950 camp on Mel Carnahan Quadrangle with former Missouri player Sean Coffey earlier in the day to tell group leaders' of the team's decision. But some players, around 5 p.m., had second thoughts and called a meeting with the original 11 members of Concerned Student 1950 an hour later at the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center. They emerged at 9 p.m. with a decision to carry out the boycott. Thirty football players — including defensive end Charles Harris, tailback Russell Hansbrough, cornerback Aarion Penton, wide receiver J'Mon Moore and wide receiver Nate Brown — were pictured linking arms with Butler in a photo released by the Legion of Black Collegians.

Racial climate at MU: A timeline of incidents to date this fall

http://www.columbiam...d0aab0bf74.html

COLUMBIA — The racial climate at MU has been tumultuous for months, but with recent events — including a hunger strike undertaken this week by a graduate student and campus activist — conversation and action has hastened. Here’s a chronological look at the key incidents since September that have led to a recent escalation of tension on campus:

Sept. 12: Missouri Students Association president Payton Head posts about a racial slur directed at him.

Payton Head, MU senior and president of MSA, renewed the dialogue about racism and the racial climate on campus after publishing a Facebook post about his first-hand experience with racism. The night before, Head said he was walking around campus when the passenger of a pickup repeatedly shouted the “N-word” at him.

Head’s statement went viral on social media, and many people shared their support of Head and frustration with MU’s response, or lack thereof, to his post.

“I’d had experience with racism before, like microaggressions, but that was the first time I’d experienced in-your-face racism,” Head told a Missourian reporter.

Oct. 5: Legion of Black Collegians members are the targets of racial slurs by a man on campus.

Another instance of racism brought the racial climate on campus again to the attention of students and administrators.

The Legion of Black Collegians shared a letter on social media describing the group's encounter with overt racism the night before. The group was rehearsing for a performance at Traditions Plaza when a “young man” talking on his cellphone walked up to the group. After being politely and repeatedly asked to leave, the man walked away but referenced LBC members using racial slurs.

That same day, MU Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin responded with a post of his own, acknowledging and condemning racism at MU.

“There was a silence that fell over us all, almost in disbelief that this racial slur in particular was used in our vicinity,” Naomi Collier, president of MU’s NAACP chapter and member of the LBC’s activities committee, wrote in the letter.

Oct. 8: Loftin announces mandatory online diversity training for faculty, staff and students, which is met with widespread skepticism.

The training came after a number of accounts of overt racism experience by students on campus, but was met with skepticism and suspicion.

Jonathan Butler, MU graduate student and campus activist, wrote a letter to Loftin saying the training was “a step in the right direction, but it is not enough.”

Oct. 10: Members of Concerned Student 1950 protest during the MU Homecoming Parade, blocking a car carrying UM System President Tim Wolfe.

Concerned Student 1950 refers to the year African-American students were first admitted the MU. The group targeted Wolfe’s car during Homecoming to send the message that students will not be ignored by administrators on the issue of discrimination on campus.

“We’ve sent emails, we’ve sent tweets, we’ve messaged but we’ve gotten no response back from the upper officials at Mizzou to really make change on this campus,” Butler said afterward.

The protesters blocked the street and Wolfe’s car for about 15 minutes, chanting and making speeches, until they were dispersed by police. Some students watching the parade also joined in on the protest in support. No protesters were arrested for disturbing the parade.

“I joined in the line because white silence is compliance, like what they were yelling in the Student Center. I feel like I can’t just sit by and watch. It’s not my fight, but I support it,” MU undergraduate Breanne LoPresti told a reporter.

Oct. 21: Concerned Student 1950 issues a statement of demands, including a formal apology from Wolfe and his removal from office.

Ten days after the Homecoming protest, the group issued the statement with eight demands, including enforcement of mandatory racial awareness and inclusion training for all faculty, staff and students; an increase in the percentage of black faculty and staff; and an increase in funding to hire mental health professionals for the MU Counseling Center, particularly those of color; and more staff for social justice centers on campus.

A number of groups showed their support for the sentiment, including the Department of Black Studies, the Department of Classical Studies and the School of Health Professions.

Oct. 27: Concerned Student 1950 meets with Wolfe but do not resolve any issues.

Members of the group said Wolfe did not agree to any of the demands they sent to him the previous week. In the meeting, Wolfe said he cared for black students at MU but was "'not completely' aware of systemic racism, sexism, and patriarchy on campus," according to a statement by Concerned Student 1950.

Morning of Nov. 2: Jonathan Butler announces he will go on a hunger strike until Wolfe is removed from office.

Butler said his decision was made a few days after student protesters interrupted the Homecoming Parade in October.

To prepare for the strike, he reduced his food intake and researched how his body would react. He updated his will and spoke to a physician.

As of Friday, Butler had gone five days without food.

Butler said the demand for Wolfe’s removal from office was made because of the president's failure to respond sincerely and actively to student concerns about discrimination on campus. Butler has continued his daily life during the strike, working and attending his classes.

“During this hunger strike, I will not consume any food or nutritional sustenance at the expense of my health until either Tim Wolfe is removed from office or my internal organs fail and my life is lost," Butler wrote in a letter to the UM System Board of Directors.

Evening of Nov. 2: Students camp on Carnahan Quadrangle in support of the hunger strike and Wolfe's removal from office.

One Concerned Student 1950 representative said student activists will stay until the semester ends in December, if that's what it takes.

Nov. 3: Concerned Student 1950 and supporters meet with Wolfe and Loftin near University Hall to discuss race relations and discrimination.

The Forum on Graduate Rights, an activist group dedicated to improving the state of graduate student employees at MU, called for the gathering and made a statement supporting Jonathan Butler and his hunger strike.

“JB (Butler) is our colleague, our fellow activist and our friend,” said Eric Scott, co-chair of the Coalition of Graduate Workers, a part of the Forum on Graduate Rights. “We want him to live a happy and healthy life, and you (Wolfe) have the power to resolve this, and we urge you to use it.”

Wolfe responded to students’ comments by saying racism is unacceptable, he is committed to combating it on campus and his actions will support his words. Student activists were not convinced and continued to press Wolfe for answers. Loftin did not make a statement, but was present for the duration of the meeting.

Evening of Nov. 3: Concerned Student 1950 decides to boycott MU services until Wolfe is removed from office.

The boycott was announced Wednesday and officially began Thursday. The group is using the hashtag #BoycottUM to promote the boycott of merchandise, retail dining services and ticketed events. The group began using a website called Change.org to hold a petition to remove Wolfe from office.

“We are boycotting spending money at the Student Center, we are boycotting football games — anything that brings the university extra money, until everything is resolved. If you can’t listen to our voices, you can’t have our dollars," said Storm Ervin, Concerned Student 1950 representative, in an interview.

Nov. 5: Concerned Student 1950 holds a demonstration on campus before the MU-Mississippi State football game.

About 200 members and supporters of Concerned Student 1950 participated in the demonstration, marching through campus and chanting “Join us in the revolution." Participants were urged to identify themselves only as “Concerned Student.” At Speaker's Circle, the group reiterated its demand for UM System President Tim Wolfe’s removal.

The same day, Payton Head posted on Twitter a slideshow of images of racist comments he said were made by MU students, and Chancellor Loftin responded: "Sad to see more hate speech hiding behind anonymity. Racism, bias, discrimination have no place here."

Evening of Nov. 5: Students reschedule a football game protest for Monday, citing security reasons.

Members of Concerned Student 1950 planned to hold the protest after Missouri’s football game Thursday night. Nearly 100 protesters gathered in the basement of the MU Student Center that night, but decided the circumstances — mixing with “drunk white people” after the Tigers’ loss — could lead to an unsafe protest. Details about Monday's protest have not been announced.

Nov. 6: Wolfe issues an apology for his action and inaction during the Homecoming protest.

In the statement, he said he was very concerned for Jonathan Butler's health and acknowledged that racism at the university exists and is unacceptable.

"I regret my reaction at the MU homecoming parade when the ConcernedStudent1950 group approached my car," the statement read. "I am sorry, and my apology is long overdue. My behavior seemed like I did not care. That was not my intention. I was caught off guard in that moment. Nonetheless, had I gotten out of the car to acknowledge the students and talk with them perhaps we wouldn’t be where we are today."

"I am asking us to move forward in addressing the racism that exists at our university — and it does exist. Together we must rise to the challenge of combatting racism, injustice, and intolerance."

Evening of Nov. 6: Protesters confront Wolfe in Kansas City

Student protesters with the group Concerned Student 1950 from both MU and the University of Missouri Kansas City met Wolfe outside a fundraiser at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City. One student released a video in which the UM System president responds to the question, "Tim Wolfe, what do you think systematic oppression is?"

Wolfe says, "It's — systematic oppression is because you don't believe that you have the equal opportunity for success — "

The crowd of students reacts negatively, and the chatter is mostly inaudible.

Someone in the crowd yells, "Did you just blame us for systematic oppression, Tim Wolfe? Did you just blame black students —" before the video cuts off.

Nov. 7: Concerned Student 1950 holds demonstration in front of MU prospective students

A group of students holds a "mock tour" of campus featuring a presentation on the recent history of racism on campus. protesters marched through dining halls and campus hubs on Meet Mizzou Day, a large campus recruiting event.

The MU Tour Team was warned about the possibility of protests in the wake of the video that surfaced the previous evening.

Nov. 7: Black MU football players plan to boycott

"We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experiences," the players announced in a tweet sent from the Legion of Black Collegians account.

Sixty of the 124 players on the MU football team are black, but it was unclear as of Saturday night how many of the players agreed to participate in the boycott

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading about this earlier. I agree with some things I have read in several other articles. The group has yet to say exactly what Wolfe should have done, or how he should address these issues. I have seen 4 articles that have interviewed Butler and it is all just Wolfe has failed fire him. Thats how to address the problem, he should quit. Yet has not said exactly what he failed to do.

The first two are all about firing Wolfe and getting an apology.

The second two are about making people racially aware which is not a problem for me. But I do not feel that by making the entire program maintained, vetted, and overseen by only those of color is an answer or solution. Your giving one group all the control and all the power. And wouldn't the purpose of this program be to make people get along and work together.... not segregate?

The one about mental health is stupid. As someone that suffered from depression in the past if I go to someone I want the best available not someone hired based off their color. They also want to increase several other areas and "particularly with people of color" (their wording). They appear to be all about enhancing the center, funding the center, helping campus mental health as a whole.. but only if you hire people of color to do so. The social justice system is the same way, demands to improve but only if hiring people of color.

Retention rates. Looked at their rates and they are above the norm for colleges. Are they suppose to give individuals passes on grades, these people get two semesters before academic suspension and the rest of the university only gets one? Just based off of income and color?

Their demands.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/list-of-demands-from-concerned-student-group/pdf_345ad844-9f05-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155.html

It sucks that people are racist. But that is never going to change, there will always be that person. Like the guy driving down the road that yelled the N word.

Then as above you have the drunk white guy. I don't agree with what he said (which was "n.... are getting aggressive with me), but lets say they do all this diversity training, and cracking down. Let's also be honest, how many people of color would of said the exact same thing while walking away? So what happens when a person of another color hears a black person use the word on campus? Cause I have heard whites referred to as n... on Auburn's campus by blacks. So I'm offended by it, then I get to go report it to this board of diversity experts of color? I have said this before and I will say it again. That issue will never be resolved until a universal agreement is made upon the use of the N word. So I then get a lecture by the diversity board (which has no whites) on why it was OK and I should not be offended.

And to be honest I lost all respect for this group right here:

Nearly 100 protesters gathered in the basement of the MU Student Center that night, but decided the circumstances — mixing with “drunk white people” after the Tigers’ loss — could lead to an unsafe protest. Details about Monday's protest have not been announced.

Individual race shouldn't of mattered in that. The mixing of a racially based protest at an event that would be filled with alcohol and have high emotions already could lead to an unsafe protest period.

I will be curious how all those season ticket holders, alumni, and people that donate to the athletic program receive the boycott by these athletes that get free tuition, room and board, stipends etc.

Why is Wolfe the scapegoat for these incidents?

All I can find is that they don't think he has done enough or didn't act fast enough. Mean the guy at the square was identified and removed from the university, and starting in the Spring Semester all freshmen entering Missouri will have to take basically a sensitivity class as part of their requirement.

Butler said the demand for Wolfe’s removal from office was made because of the president's failure to respond sincerely and actively to student concerns about discrimination on campus

All I can find is that they don't think he has done enough or didn't act fast enough. Mean the guy at the square was identified and removed from the university, and starting in the Spring Semester all freshmen entering Missouri will have to take basically a sensitivity class as part of their requirement.

Butler said the demand for Wolfe’s removal from office was made because of the president's failure to respond sincerely and actively to student concerns about discrimination on campus

It seems like the Missouri students needed someone to blame so they picked the President of the school to be their casualty. And I wonder if Ferguson has spilled over into this situation.

Butler said the demand for Wolfe's removal from office was made because of the president's failure to respond sincerely and actively to student concerns about discrimination on campus

It seems like the Missouri students needed someone to blame so they picked the President of the school to be their casualty. And I wonder if Ferguson has spilled over into this situation.

That would be my first thought....since there is evidence that the Ferguson incident has generated demonstrations all over the St Louis area and elsewhere too....so not surprised it would find sympathy on a college campus.

Wolfe's "problem" sounds like the furor that erupted over the "black lives matter" flap when a politician did not respond in the manner demanded by that protest group...his response that "all lives matter" wa immediately shouted down causing him to back-track on his answer.

No way to win with the group on this one for Wolfe because he was already condemned. ....which is funny to me only because I'm willing to bet the guy is a certified card carrying liberal who supports most modern social theories of "equality"...or else how did he get his job?

All I know is what I have read hear and in news media but I'm willing to be that the President of the university will NOT resign in response to the boycott by football players. More likely, if these young men truly want to put themselves on the line over an issue that does not relate to their football program or their coach, they are probably done for the year...though I also expect the school and athletic program will give them a few days to see the seriousness of their decision.

Seems this is another argument over whether playing football for the U of Mizzou (or any university) is a privilege...or whether the school should be honored by their presence.

Butler said the demand for Wolfe's removal from office was made because of the president's failure to respond sincerely and actively to student concerns about discrimination on campus

That would be my first thought....since there is evidence that the Ferguson incident has generated demonstrations all over the St Louis area and elsewhere too....so not surprised it would find sympathy on a college campus.

Wolfe's "problem" sounds like the furor that erupted over the "black lives matter" flap when a politician did not respond in the manner demanded by that protest group...his response that "all lives matter" wa immediately shouted down causing him to back-track on his answer.

No way to win with the group on this one for Wolfe because he was already condemned. ....which is funny to me only because I'm willing to bet the guy is a certified card carrying liberal who supports most modern social theories of "equality"...or else how did he get his job?

All I know is what I have read hear and in news media but I'm willing to be that the President of the university will NOT resign in response to the boycott by football players. More likely, if these young men truly want to put themselves on the line over an issue that does not relate to their football program or their coach, they are probably done for the year...though I also expect the school and athletic program will give them a few days to see the seriousness of their decision.

Seems this is another argument over whether playing football for the U of Mizzou (or any university) is a privilege...or whether the school should be honored by their presence.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24357/

Here is an earlier article about the situation. It doesn't include Wolfe but it discusses how the University wants to send out an "army" of TA's to "socially engineer" the student's behavior. And I agree with the idea. But he football players have to stop. Football is not a platform for political or divisive statements. The football players are only making the situation worst than it already is.

"The University of Missouri is working on a “diversity requirement” that could be imposed on all 6,000 freshmen and require “an army” of teaching assistants (TAs) to implement, by the reckoning of the committee developing it.

Its aim? To socially engineer students to think and behave in certain ways related to race and culture, and have its TAs “export” the program to other universities when they get faculty jobs."

http://www.thecolleg...com/post/24357/

Here is an earlier article about the situation. It doesn't include Wolfe but it discusses how the University wants to send out an "army" of TA's to "socially engineer" the student's behavior. And I agree with the idea. But he football players have to stop. They are only making the situation worst. Football is not a platform for political or divisive statements. The football players are only making the situation worst than it already is.

"The University of Missouri is working on a "diversity requirement" that could be imposed on all 6,000 freshmen and require "an army" of teaching assistants (TAs) to implement, by the reckoning of the committee developing it.

Its aim? To socially engineer students to think and behave in certain ways related to race and culture, and have its TAs "export" the program to other universities when they get faculty jobs."

Was going to say "let the brainwashing begin"....but from what I hear and read, the brainwashing has been under way at most colleges and universities for quite some time now....and not limited to racial harmony. God knows we need more racial harmony in this country and I hope some of the 6000 eager TAs will find their way into some inner city areas where there is also some need for better harmony among members of the same race in hopes of reducing black on black crime which is horrific.

Now back to football......so does anyone think this protest has legs?

So, they are blaming the university prez b/c of a few people who supposedly shouted racial slurs?? Is there ANY validity to the claims of the guy shouting from a truck?

So, Butler is using extortion to get Wolfe to quit or do something? Butler is saying quit or do something or I'm gonna kill myself by starving myself. Sounds like mental health evaluation is in order for Butler.

I'm sure there are those with racists views, but seems overkill to want to have classes for incoming students on diversity.

Clearly, on both accounts.

Those players should be fourth team when they returned. Their teammates are more important than any political bs.

Or tell them if they don't fulfill the obligations of their scholarship it will be pulled.

Those players should be fourth team when they returned. Their teammates are more important than any political bs.

Or tell them if they don't fulfill the obligations of their scholarship it will be pulled.

Exactly.

This is really crazy. I understand and sympathize with anybody who is or have been a victim of racist behavior. I don't think their ideas of putting people of color in complete control of all areas mentioned in Butler's and the Concerned Student 1950's statements is the right answer. Should they have an equal voice? Absolutely they should.

One thing these athletes need to consider is their athletic scholarships. How many of the 24 athletes who are planning to boycott are paying their own way through school? My guess, and not racially motivated, would be a small number. If these athletes do not participate in the athletic program that is giving them an education, their scholarships will be voided and then what happens to them? Although I admire their willingness to stand up for something, I think they are choosing the wrong way to do it. The university and the football program will survive without them. Will they survive without the university and the football program?

I wasn't going to do it. I wasn't going to jump in the fray. This is dumb...

It seems like, in my experience, these situations are manufactured.

I'm a dirt road alum. But, I did go to college elsewhere. We had this massive upheaval one year. Mean words were exchanged. Big sit-downs, all that mess.

Come to find out... This one guy had transferred in to school and was claiming he had been disparaged. Well, the same had "happened" to him at the school he was attending before. The guy was clearly pre-law. And he was very interested in sociopolitical issues. I won't expand on that any further.

This other student shows up during the intense period on campus. She says a slur was carved into her car's paint. Freak out city. "OMG, we can't have that on this campus. We must do something." They check the campus security cameras. Guess who the vandal was? ... The victim.

This past year. That guy with the clock in the school. And the media goes crazy. And then Mark Cuban comes out and says he could hear the kid's sister coaching him over the phone. And then they find out that sister had made prior attempts to stir a similar controversy. And the kid goes and moves to Qatar.

I just... You can't have racism or whatever. But, I have to take this stuff with a grain of salt. College kids taking classes in history, sociology, and political science thinking they are going to start a revolution or something. I blame the professors for putting such ideas in kids heads... [end of rant]

White privilege doesn't exist. If you are an American, you are privileged, no matter your 1/16" of skin color.

That is easy for you to say, definitely if you are white and male.

Archived