Mazonne Back to the SEC

Caveman

THis will be Mazzone's second tour of duty at Ole Miss. It appears that the NC State fans were beginning to see Noel as the OC that Auburn fans new before CTT let him go. I think Orgeron has made a mistake, especially with the young quarterbacks that :om: will likely play next year. Opinions?

Link

Oops. Mazzone is propper spelling.

I still stand firm that Mazzone was not the problem when he was fired. The problem was OBVIOUSLY Lovett that year. (Lovett was just fired this year from Clemson). But, to each his own. I MUST be the only Mazzone fan in the crowd. :/

I love Jason but he should not have been in the Peach Bowl game as long as he was. As soon they out Daniel in we scored if he had done it earlier we might have won that game. I was glad to see Mazzone go.

at least i know we'll have one shut out on the ledger next year. he's the worst play caller i've ever seen, and that includes nallsminger.

What play would Dixie call on 3rd and 23? :D

Shotgun Ace Trips to the wide side.....Outside WR Devin Aro. 20 yard Slant to the middle of the field.....Middle WR Ben Obo. 15 yard and In to the middle of the field....Inside WR Courtney Taylor 25 yard and Out to the sideline.......Firstdown AU

Wonder what the meeting will be like when MAZZ comes to AU this year. Im sure CTT and the MAZZ do not exchange christmas cards. I have one question. WHY? Maybe Orgeron(sp) needs someone with SEC experience. Wouldn't be funny if he hired lovett for DC. I just know the fans in ole miss are excited about the Mazz. I know I would. :no:

they are actually. i talked with a buddy of mine that lives in oxford; he claimed mazzone was one of the best coordinators he'd ever seen. i just kinda chuckled; then i thought about our offense in 2001 and i threw up in my mouth. oh and mazzone's call for 3rd and 23? shotgun set, empty backfield, trips right, wide receiver screen to the inside man... reasoning? they'd never expect us to run that WR screen three plays in a row right?

If I remember correctly, Mazzone was interviewed for several HC jobs the after the 2000 season because of the job he had done as OC at Ole Miss and AU. A lot of Auburn fans was worrried that he WOULD leave. I think he actually turned down one HC job to stay at AU in hopes to get a little better offer in a year or two. Did he just all of a sudden get stupid after the 2000 season?

The only time Mazzone is good is when he had a very cerebral QB like Leard or Rivers. Give him a pure athlete and his system goes swirling down the commode. I'm sorry, but after the debacle in 2001, he deserved to go. Mr. Can't Adjust During A Game can be someone else's stomach ulcer.

The only time Mazzone is good is when he had a very cerebral QB like Leard or Rivers

You are right on. From what I remember it was a complex O tho run with all of the check downs and progressions. But that was 47 OC's ago. I can't seem to remember all the details but I think that is why no one could run it but leard.

Five starters from the 2000 offense made it to the NFL yet we only score 33 TD's in 12 games.

Here is our average number of plays per TD since 1981...

Year Off

1995 14.6

2004 16.5

1994 17.2

2002 17.2

1986 17.4

1993 19.5

1985 19.6

1988 20.1

2003 20.6

1996 20.7

1997 22.1

1983 22.6

1984 22.8

1987 23.6

2000 24.7

1989 25.5

1982 26.0

2001 26.4

1999 27.2

1990 27.5

1991 32.0

1992 35.4

1981 36.1

1998 42.1

Well, we will see MAZZ every tear as long as he's there in Oxford.

I think those numbers are kind of low because we have tended to pound the ball in the last few years.

Under Bowden, we tended to throw more...... obviously, because we didn't have a great running game after Davis graduated

Mazz will be good for OM because it will be a new OC with a new HC over in Oxford! Has Tub ever had a passing offense besides this year? I don't really see much passing by Tubs since he's been at AU! in 2001 he had Rudy, 2002-2004 he had Ronnie and Cadillac! So I can see why Tubs wouldn't be passing the ball! Just imagine if Tubs had Ronnie, Cadillac, and Rudy all at the smae time! Man, AU would be unstoppable! :lol:

your years are off. we had rudi in 2000. we got caddilac as a freshman in 2001. he split carries with ronnie and two other backs, casinious moore and chris butler. we really didn't have a great running game that year, and we certainly didn't have a good passing game despite the fact that we had an 2nd round draft pick, carnell, ronnie, cmoore (who had great hands), robert johnson, and lorenzo diamond, (not to mention jeris mcintyre who stepped up last year). that was the worst offense i've ever watched. they scored some, but no offense has ever looked as inept at times.

and in 1999, we were an all pass team. i would think an lsu fan would remember that since leard and ronney daniels tore through you like a hot knife through butter. 41-7 i believe. we had the worst rushing offense in the conference as i recall.

and i disagree that mazzone needs a smart qb to make his offense go. he needs an all-pro tailback. look at his good years at ole miss... deuce mcalister was at the heart of them. look at his best year at auburn... rudi, rudi, rudi. look at his best game in 2001... caddilac sets a single game record with 41 carries. philip rivers was enough to make him look good, but don't discount the quatlity of t.a. mcclendon in the backfield either. mazzone needed to have INCREDIBLE backs or else his offense stymied b/c most of the time he didn't know what to do. when in doubt hand it off to deuce or rudi or caddilac or t.a. that's what makes him look good. it's not him at all.

Well, we will see MAZZ every tear as long as he's there in Oxford.

I think those numbers are kind of low because we have tended to pound the ball in the last few years.

Under Bowden, we tended to throw more...... obviously, because we didn't have a great running game after Davis graduated

137260[/snapback]

Actually, 10 of the 14 teams listed about the 2000 offense, had a higher run percentage.

Archived