Charles Kelly

RunInRed

The "Charles Kelly MegaJumboMegatron Video Board".......

Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it Texas? lol ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't doom and gloom. It just looks that way because it isn't pumping sunshine, which is apparently the preferred perspective 'round these parts.

LT isn't on anyone else's radar for DC, and he wouldn't be on ours if we could actually attract a good candidate. The position we find ourselves in isn't entirely Malzahn's fault, but I feel for him having to fight it. We took a risk, albeit one most of would say was a good one at the time, on Muschamp last season knowing he wanted to get back to the HC ranks. Nobody thought he'd have the chance this soon. Coupled with the very poor performance by our offense this season, and the recent history of coaching changes, it has put us in a bad spot. It is what it is. You can look the other way or you can paint the picture however you want to see it I guess.

If Gus is able to go out and bring in a proven DC, then that perspective changes, but it won't if he promotes LT.

Kelly wasn't on anyone's radar until this year and now he's supposedly a "must have."

I don't know how good a DC Thompson will make, but Saban hired him twice when he had plenty of choices.

He hired him twice to coach LB's, not DC. Kelly isn't a "must have", but he is a DC and had a pretty decent defense at FSU last season.

It isn't doom and gloom. It just looks that way because it isn't pumping sunshine, which is apparently the preferred perspective 'round these parts.

No, it is doom and gloom. You seem to operate on the notion that unless joins you in pissing on everything and assuming the worst, they're "pumping sunshine." There's this vast middle ground between these two poles that most of us occupy. You should come see it sometime.

It would be different if you wondered whether LT is ready for this or would be a good DC. But you have jumped straight to "not even an average hire" and "at least he made contact" analogies.

LT isn't on anyone else's radar for DC, and he wouldn't be on ours if we could actually attract a good candidate.

This is not the only or even a very important criteria for deciding whether you think a guy you've worked with closely for over a year can do the job.

The position we find ourselves in isn't entirely Malzahn's fault, but I feel for him having to fight it. We took a risk, albeit one most of would say was a good one at the time, on Muschamp last season knowing he wanted to get back to the HC ranks. Nobody thought he'd have the chance this soon. Coupled with the very poor performance by our offense this season, and the recent history of coaching changes, it has put us in a bad spot. It is what it is. You can look the other way or you can paint the picture however you want to see it I guess.

You seem to be confusing a couple of different issues. Yes, we find ourselves in a tough position to be able to grab a current DC at a Power 5 conference school because of the circumstances. And just like most places would prefer to hire a head coach that already has a few years of HC experience under their belt, one generally prefers to hire a coordinator who has done it recently or currently for those slots. But it's not a law of nature. It doesn't mean those guys are the only ones who can do a good job. A lot of folks around here wanted TRob (myself included) to get the DC slot. Well, he hasn't coordinated a defense before either and the only two that wanted him for that slot were defensive coordinators that worked with him and were moving in to HC slots. Does that have any bearing on whether TRob was ready to take that next step? Nope. Same goes for LT.

If Gus is able to go out and bring in a proven DC, then that perspective changes, but it won't if he promotes LT.

The thing you can't seem to grasp is that this is bull****. Your perspective isn't realism because it's literally based on nothing other than your armchair guesses. You literally have zero idea whether LT is ready to take this step or not, but you jump to the auto-assumption that it's terrible.

Do you?

No, but the difference in you and me is - I admit it.

No, it is doom and gloom. You seem to operate on the notion that unless joins you in pissing on everything and assuming the worst, they're "pumping sunshine." There's this vast middle ground between these two poles that most of us occupy. You should come see it sometime.

It would be different if you wondered whether LT is ready for this or would be a good DC. But you have jumped straight to "not even an average hire" and "at least he made contact" analogies.

LT isn't on anyone else's radar for DC, and he wouldn't be on ours if we could actually attract a good candidate.

This is not the only or even a very important criteria for deciding whether you think a guy you've worked with closely for over a year can do the job.

The position we find ourselves in isn't entirely Malzahn's fault, but I feel for him having to fight it. We took a risk, albeit one most of would say was a good one at the time, on Muschamp last season knowing he wanted to get back to the HC ranks. Nobody thought he'd have the chance this soon. Coupled with the very poor performance by our offense this season, and the recent history of coaching changes, it has put us in a bad spot. It is what it is. You can look the other way or you can paint the picture however you want to see it I guess.

You seem to be confusing a couple of different issues. Yes, we find ourselves in a tough position to be able to grab a current DC at a Power 5 conference school because of the circumstances. And just like most places would prefer to hire a head coach that already has a few years of HC experience under their belt, one generally prefers to hire a coordinator who has done it recently or currently for those slots. But it's not a law of nature. It doesn't mean those guys are the only ones who can do a good job. A lot of folks around here wanted TRob (myself included) to get the DC slot. Well, he hasn't coordinated a defense before either and the only two that wanted him for that slot were defensive coordinators that worked with him and were moving in to HC slots. Does that have any bearing on whether TRob was ready to take that next step? Nope. Same goes for LT.

The thing you can't seem to grasp is that this is bull****. Your perspective isn't realism because it's literally based on nothing other than your armchair guesses. You literally have zero idea whether LT is ready to take this step or not, but you jump to the auto-assumption that it's terrible.

Do you?

No, but the difference in you and me is - I admit it.

I do admit it. You just can't stand it when someone disagrees with you and upsets your apple cart.

Sounds like LT is going to be a DC at some time....and somewhere.

So is there a good reason not to try him at AU where he knows what Gus wants, knows the players and has worked with the system that Gus likely wants to run? Seems to me that some of those intangibles might be worth considering when comparing him to the likely outside prospects.

Just sayin' why automatically dismiss him as a candidate just because he is here now ?

I do admit it. You just can't stand it when someone disagrees with you and upsets your apple cart.

No, you haven't. You've already declared it to be a below average hire. A dribbler when you needed a double.

I don't mind disagreement. But I do expect disagreement to come from some place of some evidence and knowledge, not just one's pessimistic conjecture. I get tired of people who assume the worst with zilch to back it up. Sorry that it upsets you when you get called on selling sad sack moping as 'realism.'

And I don't have an apple cart.

LT isn't on anyone else's radar for DC, and he wouldn't be on ours if we could actually attract a good candidate. The position we find ourselves in isn't entirely Malzahn's fault, but I feel for him having to fight it. We took a risk, albeit one most of would say was a good one at the time, on Muschamp last season knowing he wanted to get back to the HC ranks. Nobody thought he'd have the chance this soon. Coupled with the very poor performance by our offense this season, and the recent history of coaching changes, it has put us in a bad spot. It is what it is. You can look the other way or you can paint the picture however you want to see it I guess.

Kelly wasn't on anyone's radar until this year and now he's supposedly a "must have."

I don't know how good a DC Thompson will make, but Saban hired him twice when he had plenty of choices.

THIS. And if I recall correctly, CLT even made some strong Anti UAT statements after he left UAT for UT the first time. Wonder why Saban would take a guy like that back a second time?

CLT also has a reputation as an excellent recruiter as does CRG. It was considered a MAJOR loss/mistake for AUs/Bowden and a major GAIN for GA when Bowden let CRG get away the first time and he proceeded to kick our tails on a lot of good recruits in GA.

Now, it seems a huge portion of our fanbase wants run off CRG again and piss off CLT by not even considering him for DC after we struck out on some big names. I would be willing to bet Kirby would take both of those guys in a heartbeat and if he doesn't muchamp will (and they still might). Do we really want to have a revolving door coaching staff on the recruiting trail? Instead of badmouthing those two, the fans need and AU better be doing everything we can to KEEP them on the staff.

Oh, and some point to our LB play as an indictment of CLT. Well, if I recall correctly, those LB's have been less than stellar under all of the coaches we have had. At some point one has to stop blaming coaching and look at the obvious. When CLT was coaching LB's and UAT, I don't seem to recall them having any great issues with LB play or development and he obviously knew what he was doing of CNS would not have hired him TWICE.

No, you haven't. You've already declared it to be a below average hire. A dribbler when you needed a double.

I don't mind disagreement. But I do expect disagreement to come from some place of some evidence and knowledge, not just one's pessimistic conjecture. I get tired of people who assume the worst with zilch to back it up. Sorry that it upsets you when you get called on selling sad sack moping as 'realism.'

And I don't have an apple cart.

Sad sack moping? I do like the flair of the verbiage, and you should get an apple cart. They're nice, but admittedly troublesome when they overturn.

BTW, you have zilch to back up calling LT a good hire...as DC. Just to turn it around on you. We can do better, and we shouldn't settle for him just because he's already on staff, and are concerned we might hurt his feelings by not offering it to him.

Good gracious folks, we were the SEC Champs just 2 years ago. Yes, we finished last in the SECW this season, but we were a QB away from going 6-2 and maybe 7-1 in the conference. We will be back!

I wish we were just a QB away, but we finished the regular season with the #96 ranked Offense and the #90 ranked Defense. The playcalling and game preparation was abysmal, the roster management and in-game adjustments were horrible, player development is subpar and we've been out manned in several games. And all really started about 13 months ago, not just this season when we didn't have a solid QB. Somebody at the top ain't getting it done.

I respect your opinion, but disagree. I think we were a dynamic qb away from possibly 11-1.

LOL, a lot of teams are a dynamic QB away from possibly 11-1. What QB on campus or coming in fits the dynamic definition?

wde

I don't think we even needed a dynamic qb to be successful. A healthy Sean or one of the guys coming in will make a big difference next year on offense.

BTW, you have zilch to back up calling LT a good hire...as DC. Just to turn it around on you. We can do better, and we shouldn't settle for him just because he's already on staff, and are concerned we might hurt his feelings by not offering it to him.

You seem to struggle with reading comprehension. I didn't say he was a good hire. The only one that is pulling declarative judgments out of their ass here is you. I'm saying he could be a good hire. He might be the right hire for us right now. I think there are indications that he might be the right guy for the job. But I admit I don't know. You are saying he's a bad hire, or at least below average with nothing to back it up and declaring your view as "realism." You seem to think that unless someone joins you in crapping on the hire, they are by default saying he's teh awesomz when all they are trying get you to do is tap the brakes on the Debby Downer syndrome you're stuck in.

Are you really not understanding the difference here?

Yep, two years ago Kelly was a position coach with FSU. He was promoted to DC when Jeremy Pruitt jumped to UGA. Kelly was an interim DC at Ga. Tech for six games in 2012. That was his only experience as a DC. Every great or good DC had to be offered a chance to step up to DC at one point in their career. Many very big name schools have given a position coach a promotion or even hired a position coach from another school to be a DC. I don't have a problem with giving LT a chance if that is what our Coach thinks is best for the defense.

You seem to struggle with reading comprehension. I didn't say he was a good hire. The only one that is pulling declarative judgments out of their ass here is you. I'm saying he could be a good hire. He might be the right hire for us right now. I think there are indications that he might be the right guy for the job. But I admit I don't know. You are saying he's a bad hire, or at least below average with nothing to back it up and declaring your view as "realism." You seem to think that unless someone joins you in crapping on the hire, they are by default saying he's teh awesomz when all they are trying get you to do is tap the brakes on the Debby Downer syndrome you're stuck in.

Titan, this coaching search has gotten you on the edge lately brother!

Titan, this coaching search has gotten you on the edge lately brother!

I'm not on edge in the least. I just have little patience for people exaggerating the issues, being overtly pessimistic and negative (I don't care for Pollyannas that always think it's unicorns and rainbows either, but that doesn't seem to be our problem right now), and acting like they know more than they actually do.

Yep, two years ago Kelly was a position coach with FSU. He was promoted to DC when Jeremy Pruitt jumped to UGA. Kelly was an interim DC at Ga. Tech for six games in 2012. That was his only experience as a DC. Every great or good DC had to be offered a chance to step up to DC at one point in their career. Many very big name schools have given a position coach a promotion or even hired a position coach from another school to be a DC. I don't have a problem with giving LT a chance if that is what our Coach thinks is best for the defense.

Add in the DC of our worthy bowl opponent was promoted from within a scant two years ago.

John Chavis or Bud Foster would be my pick. Either one could get the job done

You wouldn't want Saban or Bill Belichick?

He wants Saban just to motivate Shula to coach qbs. That should keep him busy.

Well, Auburn made a final offer last night and Kelly agreed to sleep on it. He has officially turned it down and decided to stay at FSU.

I propose that we move further discussion to one of the other threads and I'll lock this one.

Archived