UA Game: AU Targets, Commits, Info, and notes

Wareagle1092

I didn't appreciate Nick enough when he was here....And I loved him. Now he plays corner in the NFL and gets legit playing time....he's a different level of athlete

He was an athlete playing QB - he was never gonna be the complete package and have accuracy like Manning. I too appreciate him even more now - particularly his leadership and heart. Apparently JJ missed on learning that while waiting to become the man.

JJ has the leadership and the heart. He just doesn't have the head smarts to be an SEC QB. Too much pressure on him.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't appreciate Nick enough when he was here....And I loved him. Now he plays corner in the NFL and gets legit playing time....he's a different level of athlete

And he's one of those guys who never looks like he's trying that hard. It's like he's got a gigabit connection from his eyeballs to his muscles and the rest of us are on dialup. Oh, and to keep it nerdy, it helps that his muscles are dual core xenon processors and he's got 8 GB of memory while...

Ugh. I'm so ashamed.

Great comparison! Let's geek out together..ha

And he's one of those guys who never looks like he's trying that hard. It's like he's got a gigabit connection from his eyeballs to his muscles and the rest of us are on dialup. Oh, and to keep it nerdy, it helps that his muscles are dual core xenon processors and he's got 8 GB of memory while...

Ugh. I'm so ashamed.

Ashamed for going nerdy or ashamed that you were comparing him to tech that is out-of-date and under-powered?

Ugh. I'm so ashamed.

Ashamed for going nerdy or ashamed that you were comparing him to tech that is out-of-date and under-powered?

Hah! It was a trap to find the real nerds. BUSTED, lionheart. (My company's software doesn't really require crazy horsepower.)

People keep mentioning Nick's accuracy but he was almost a 61% (60.8) passer his Senior year. As a comparison, the top completion % in the SEC that year was 65%. What people also tend to overlook with a DT QB like Nick is that just his rushing production, 792 yards and 11 TDs, was the equivalent all by itself to the receiving production of a top WR in the league. That more than makes up for the 4% pts in pass completion by the best passer in the league.

Ugh. I'm so ashamed.

Hah! It was a trap to find the real nerds. BUSTED, lionheart. (My company's software doesn't really require crazy horsepower.)

Never denied my nerdome. Heck, my avatar is a Master Chief painted to look like an Auburn Football Player.

People keep mentioning Nick's accuracy but he was almost a 61% (60.8) passer his Senior year.

Two words... bubble screen. Malzhan's offense pads completion percentages.

As a comparison, the top completion % in the SEC that year was 65%.

Really? That's crazy.

Maybe I look at Nick's missed throws the way I criticize others of looking at our receivers' dropped balls- too harshly, since it's "my" guy. (Well, not this season. Our receivers were terrible.) Hell, maybe I've been looking at the whole thing all wrong. Still think Sean White could be a good QB with the same experience and talent around him that Cam and Nick had. Not as good as those guys, but good.

LKC- All love, brother. Nerd isn't a dirty word anymore. Or is it geek? I know there's an emerging distinction.

CGM's offense doesn't pad the passing stats no more than the normal screen passes that every other school throws.

Seriously? I don't know any schools that run standard screen passes multiple times in a drive and in practically every drive of the game, do you? The screen is primarily run on rare occasions to keep a blitzing defense honest. Gus, on the other hand, LOVES the bubble screen and runs it all the time.

Also, a standard screen is more difficult than a bubble screen. With the bubble, all the QB has to do is immediately get rid of the ball to a stationary target that is nearby and undefended. With a standard screen the QB is usually moving backward to avoid a sack and his target is moving... plus there's the timing involved. The completion odds are far greater for a bubble screen.

There are plenty of offenses in the SEC that throw as many screens as we do or more. Did you watch Ole Miss or A&M this year? Or last year? Or the year before that? It's a staple for most spread offenses when the numbers dictate a quick throw.

Nick was fantastic. I loved watching the guy play football. He was one of the best QBs to ever play the position at Auburn.

In my lifetime (which excludes Sullivan), it's Cam and Jason. Then, Nick, Dameyune, or Slack depending on your preferences. Personally, I have them in that order. I knew as it was happening that we'd miss watching the guy play. Startlingly underrated in the moment.

CGM's offense doesn't pad the passing stats no more than the normal screen passes that every other school throws.

Seriously? I don't know any schools that run standard screen passes multiple times in a drive and in practically every drive of the game, do you? The screen is primarily run on rare occasions to keep a blitzing defense honest. Gus, on the other hand, LOVES the bubble screen and runs it all the time.

Also, a standard screen is more difficult than a bubble screen. With the bubble, all the QB has to do is immediately get rid of the ball to a stationary target that is nearby and undefended. With a standard screen the QB is usually moving backward to avoid a sack and his target is moving... plus there's the timing involved. The completion odds are far greater for a bubble screen.

Hell SW missed the bubble screen a few times this year. Alabama threw quite a few this year as well

Hell SW missed the bubble screen a few times this year. Alabama threw quite a few this year as well

Seriously... you're going to turn this into a Sean White hating discussion, too?

There are plenty of offenses in the SEC that throw as many screens as we do or more. Did you watch Ole Miss or A&M this year? Or last year? Or the year before that? It's a staple for most spread offenses when the numbers dictate a quick throw.

Nick was fantastic. I loved watching the guy play football. He was one of the best QBs to ever play the position at Auburn.

In my lifetime (which excludes Sullivan), it's Cam and Jason. Then, Nick, Dameyune, or Slack depending on your preferences. Personally, I have them in that order. I knew as it was happening that we'd miss watching the guy play. Startlingly underrated in the moment.

Then those teams are padding their completion numbers as well. Point being, a lot of Nick's completions were bubble screens.

Nick is a great athlete and he did a lot for Auburn, but he will never be considered, by anyone who isn't an Auburn fan, to be a great quarterback. His legs are a huge asset, his natural athletic ability is undeniable, and he had a knack for getting away from trouble, but if he was a solid passer, he wouldn't be playing DB right now. He shouldn't even be mentioned in he same discussion as Craig.

Archived