2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

Other fires out there, oh cryptic one?

So.....explain please.....other potential QB's out there?

This board and it's members are not ready for this info. I'd be called every name in the book if I were to say. No way. Golf would agree.

And using SW in the read option offense really really has me very concerned if Gus has what it take to win big at this level. What a stupid stupid idea this is. SW is not a read option QB.

Hope Webb is ready because it is very obvious that Gus and Rhett can't develop a QB.

WDE and E, I'm looking for a little insider input here; as we were looking at JUCO QBs for 2016, one hot prospect was Jerod Evans from a Texas CC. He is 6-4 and around 230 and his highlight video and stats were very good. Rhett visited, but did not offer. I think he ended up at VT following the coach from Memphis.

Was there something Rhett saw in Evans that he didn't like or another issue? Did we sign JF3 because of his speed and hoped he could throw? Is Webb a read option QB and a true threat to run?

No clue about this. I'd say what I think the reason is but them most here would think I should pull for uat not AU.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at A-Day plus I watched the reply of the game. I was not blown away by either quarterback. It felt like I was watching the Quarterbacks play during the 2015 season. I wish we had coaches who knew how to develop Quarterbacks.

go back to 2010 a day & see how Cam played. You can't look into the spring game that deep.

I agree. Developing QBs is not our coaches problem. They have done that with Cam, Todd, and even Marshall. The problem is finding a QB who has the skills to be consistent in the passing game if they do not possess the abilitiy to run. Todd did.

They have found with their last 2-3 QBs they dont have the special skills to be effective in the passing game, and either dont read defenses well or dont have the arm to extend the field and open up the defenses.

Gus did not develop the QB's you mentioned. Lol.

Before this turns into yet another "Gus cant' coach" tread... is anyone else bothered by the fact that Webb, who broke freshman records at Tech, lost his starting job after an ankle injury and shoulder surgery and never got it back? He only had 22 pass completions since said surgery for 300 yards and 2 TDs. I wonder if he still has it after having his shoulder repaired?

Before this turns into yet another "Gus cant' coach" tread... is anyone else bothered by the fact that Webb, who broke freshman records at Tech, lost his starting job after an ankle injury and shoulder surgery and never got it back? He only had 2 pass attempts since said surgery. I wonder if he still has it after having his shoulder repaired?

Before knowing the above, I was bothered when I heard Auburn is inviting Webb to visit with the intent of signing him this late in the game. It shows, to me (IMO), that Gus and company thinks they can't improve the playing of the QBs on the roster and hoping for a miracle in Webb. I'm not saying Gus can't coach, but it shows he is not confident he has the right personnel at QB for the offense he wants to run.

Before this turns into yet another "Gus cant' coach" tread... is anyone else bothered by the fact that Webb, who broke freshman records at Tech, lost his starting job after an ankle injury and shoulder surgery and never got it back? He only had 2 pass attempts since said surgery. I wonder if he still has it after having his shoulder repaired?

There are troubling aspects to our QB situation overall, but Webb's history at Texas Tech is not one of them for me.

NEVER, have I had a problem with your info or given you a hard time about a post you've made. Until now. I appreciate your info and participation, I agree with 99.9% of your assessments.

Message board games. Don't imply you have something to say, but can't say it.

If that's all you've got, dont post it.

"The board can't handle it"?

Really? WGA rat's rump what people say? No one can put you down unless you agree with them. There will always be the pom pom girls.....They would applaud the Titanic while sinking. Be grateful, it tells you all you need to know about them....

There are also the "sky is falling chicken littles"....They'd swear the Titanic was sinking even after a successful cruise while standing onshore. Be grateful for them too.....

Then be on your way to find the actual human beings.

The real world is somewhere in between.

If you can't or won't say, don't post more cryptic BS. Message board game playing. Beneath you.

Go to the football board and discuss.

Before knowing the above, I was bothered when I heard Auburn is inviting Webb to visit with the intent of signing him this late in the game. It shows, to me (IMO), that Gus and company thinks they can't improve the playing of the QBs on the roster and hoping for a miracle in Webb. I'm not saying Gus can't coach, but it shows he is not confident he has the right personnel at QB for the offense he wants to run.

I can't be bothered by potentially adding someone who is 6'5 220 an has a history of making big plays with his arm. I just hope that he's being put through the paces to insure that he's still got it. If he does, then he could already be what Sean has the potential to become with the size that Jeremy brings to the table. That could also give us the time to get John and Woody ready to add back in the zone read.

If he's an option then bring him on. Can't see how it would be bad anyways, if he can't cut it or got beat out by one of the others then so be it.

This board and it's members are not ready for this info. I'd be called every name in the book if I were to say. No way. Golf would agree.

And using SW in the read option offense really really has me very concerned if Gus has what it take to win big at this level. What a stupid stupid idea this is. SW is not a read option QB.

Hope Webb is ready because it is very obvious that Gus and Rhett can't develop a QB.

Web is not a read O QB either. If he comes in it will have to be a more open passer friendly version of the spread offense.

I think through all this is CGM has GOT to recruit a QB who somehow knows how to lead and has the ability to pass effectively. They seem to have missed on that with their last few QB recruits. I wonder if that is more on LAshlee?

I think it's more on development. We have recruited fine. And not sure how much is on Rhett. Gus micro manages the QB coaching, hence the no outside QB coaching in the off season rule. Gus is a very good Xs & Os guy but I don't think he is a QB guru like many & maybe himself think he is. Cam's succes may have made him feel very self assured in that area.

Web is not a read O QB either. If he comes in it will have to be a more open passer friendly version of the spread offense.

At 6'5 220lbs though he is quite a bit larger than SW. We could use him in inverted veer option attacks.

For those unaware, the zone read option we ran in 2013 used a RB as the inside running threat (Tre' Mason) and the QB as the quick outside run threat (Nick Marshall). We used that same tactic in 2014 with CAP as the big bodied inside run threat and Marshall again as the quicker outside run threat. Here is a play diagram for the inside zone read option (with a bubble screen option):

spread-zone-read-bubble.jpg

An inverted veer option attack reverses the roles and has the QB be the big bodied inside run threat while the RB attacks the perimeter. This style of offense is what was commonly used with QBs like Cam Newton, Cardale Jones at tOSU, and Dak Prescott at MSU. Here is a play diagram for the inverted veer option:

inverted-veer-trap.png

Notice that both plays have the QB reading the same player - the DE. The read is on different sides because the plays are run to the opposite side (despite the formations looking similar). If the DE crashes in (eg. attacking the inside running threat), the QB will defer to the outside threat. If the DE hesitates or attacks the outside threat, the QB chooses the inside threat. Using combinations of the 2 styles can be very effective if you have a QB who is big enough to be an inside threat but fast enough to be an outside threat, because it allows you to single out 2 different players from the same formation. Using the 2nd play diagram, the QB could very easily make his read off the weak side DE, use the RB as the inside threat, and have himself be the outside threat.

Was there something Rhett saw in Evans that he didn't like or another issue? Did we sign JF3 because of his speed and hoped he could throw?

CDC sold the rest of the staff hard on JF3 from their time @ FSU plus I think Rhett & Gus were looking for a another Nick Marshall running wise.
Is Webb a read option QB and a true threat to run?
No. He's more of an open spread passing QB.

To be fair, Cam wasn't Gus's first successful QB. I'll forgive him for being impressed with his own success at Tulsa and Arkansas State, despite the obvious factors and qualifiers in place at both jobs.

But- and I said this going into last season- he has yet to groom one single high school QB into a successful college QB. He needs to pay more attention to his failures than his successes and change the way he does business.

NEVER, have I had a problem with your info or given you a hard time about a post you've made. Until now. I appreciate your info and participation, I agree with 99.9% of your assessments.

Message board games. Don't imply you have something to say, but can't say it.

If that's all you've got, dont post it.

"The board can't handle it"?

Really? WGA rat's rump what people say? No one can put you down unless you agree with them. There will always be the pom pom girls.....They would applaud the Titanic while sinking. Be grateful, it tells you all you need to know about them....

There are also the "sky is falling chicken littles"....They'd swear the Titanic was sinking even after a successful cruise while standing onshore. Be grateful for them too.....

Then be on your way to find the actual human beings.

The real world is somewhere in between.

If you can't or won't say, don't post more cryptic BS. Message board game playing. Beneath you.

This is why I don't give any kind if hints unless I can say what the info is. All it does is tease & tick some people off.

FWIW I think there is a slim chance of what I believe Golf & WDE are referring to even happening anyway.

Before this turns into yet another "Gus cant' coach" tread... is anyone else bothered by the fact that Webb, who broke freshman records at Tech, lost his starting job after an ankle injury and shoulder surgery and never got it back? He only had 22 pass completions since said surgery for 300 yards and 2 TDs. I wonder if he still has it after having his shoulder repaired?

No. The kid behind him beat him out while Webb was hurt & kept his job through good play.

The idea that they "didn't develop" Nick Marshall makes me laugh. Go look at his passing stats across the board and tell me he didn't improve. Did he pilot the 2013 offense again? No. But that was never going to happen with Robinson, Mason, and Prosch. It's such a prejudged BS opinion.

Can they do it again? No idea. But they definitely helped Nick become a more complete player. But for two fumbles against A&M, we would've rolled into the UGA game as CFP favorites. People act like that team sucked. It let one bad loss (Aggies) become two (UGA), and that's the whole story on that team. In 2014, we weren't capable of dissecting Bama through the air. In 2014, we did. But I guess that had nothing to do with coaching.

Looks to me from the outside looking in that we are dropping the read/option offense this year and going with something else that better fits our quarterbacks. Something the Webb guy can also fit.

To be fair, Cam wasn't Gus's first successful QB. I'll forgive him for being impressed with his own success at Tulsa and Arkansas State, despite the obvious factors and qualifiers in place at both jobs.

He also had Todd Grantham @ Tulsa developing those QBs & Freeze developed Aplin @ Arky St before Gus got there. We don't know the extent they or Gus had in terms of credit for their development TBH.

How much did Marshall's completion percentage improve?

Did you see the catches that Duke Williams made in 2014? Do you think maybe he helped Marshall's numbers improve a little?

Isn't at least a modicum of improvement from year 1 to year 2 in an offense expected and somewhat natural for any QB?

A junior turning into a somewhat better passer as a senior with a human highlight film added to the WR corps hardly points to meaningful QB development.

He also had Todd Grantham @ Tulsa developing those QBs & Freeze developed Aplin @ Arky St before Gus got there. We don't know the extent they or Gus had in terms of credit for their development TBH.

Yeah, those would be some of the obvious factors and qualifiers I alluded to.

Alright guys. I know QB development is an important issue but lets keep this topic on Webb. There are threads in the football forum discussing QB development. Lets keep that topic there.

No. The kid behind him beat him out while Webb was hurt & kept his job through good play.

I get that, but the question still remains if the kid beat him out in 2015 because he's that much better or because the shoulder injury took something off of Webb's game.

I get that, but the question still remains if the kid beat him out in 2015 because he's that much better or because the shoulder injury took something off of Webb's game.

Not to me. Mahomes is good. Have you seen him play?

Archived