The market for Grad Transfers

AU64

Listening to Sirius college football talk the other day and topic was interesting....about Grad Trans students.

Apparently a number of Power 5 Schools have a dedicated effort to identify all Grad transfer prospects to and see if they are needed or could be recruited.

Not sure what the restrictions are....probably the players have to initiate the contact but I expect there are ways for a school in need to get the word around to potential grad transfer students.

Some schools prefer them to JUCOS ...especially guys from Power 5 conference schools because their previous playing experience is more relevant than Jucos.

PS....see Ole Miss just landed a grad transfer LB from Oregon State.

Listening to Sirius college football talk the other day and topic was interesting....about Grad Trans students.

Apparently a number of Power 5 Schools have a dedicated effort to identify all Grad transfer prospects to and see if they are needed or could be recruited.

Not sure what the restrictions are....probably the players have to initiate the contact but I expect there are ways for a school in need to get the word around to potential grad transfer students.

Some schools prefer them to JUCOS ...especially guys from Power 5 conference schools because their previous playing experience is more relevant than Jucos.

There are. It's called communication via back channels.

Figured that...but the guys told a story of one player wanting to transfer who made his own highlights film and sent it to 9 schools to take a look. Seems that in addition to back channel methods....it's not a bad idea to "talk up the need" on social media or something like that and make sure it's pointed at some prospects that have been pre-identified as likely candidates.

Also, seems that the best prospects are moving from teams with coaching changes or schools that don't have particularly good prospects for the guy's last season. The Oregon State LB who just signed with Ole Miss bailed on a team that only won 2 or 3 games last year....and probably had similar prospects for 2016.

I guess the secret is to troll the rosters and websites of schools in the bottom half of their conferences.

Figured that...but the guys told a story of one player wanting to transfer who made his own highlights film and sent it to 9 schools to take a look. Seems that in addition to back channel methods....it's not a bad idea to "talk up the need" on social media or something like that and make sure it's pointed at some prospects that have been pre-identified as likely candidates.

Also, seems that the best prospects are moving from teams with coaching changes or schools that don't have particularly good prospects for the guy's last season. The Oregon State LB who just signed with Ole Miss bailed on a team that only won 2 or 3 games last year....and probably had similar prospects for 2016.

I guess the secret is to troll the rosters and websites of schools in the bottom half of their conferences.

Na. Most coaching staff or administrations have some connection to each other & that's how these things usually get done.

College players don't stop talking to their high school coaches when they leave for college... they provide a major back-channel network for finding out what's really going on with individual players and getting messages to them.

College players don't stop talking to their high school coaches when they leave for college... they provide a major back-channel network for finding out what's really going on with individual players and getting messages to them.

JMO but I don't think everyone is sitting around waiting on the phone to ring.....from the discussion I heard again today, several schools...bama and michigan were mentioned... have an active program to identify and lure "ready to play" guys from other schools.

Word has it that bama uses their many "analysts" among other things to sniff around ...examining rosters, checking chat sites, etc. looking for dis-satisfied players on teams with problems. They find out who has their degree already, might be up to SEC standards and might like to finish their careers with a winning program.

Then I guess they use those "back channels" but it's not random....they know who they are after. Oregon State has been a good place to stay in touch with for example ...Mulvaney to bama last year and a LB to Ole Miss this past week. There was not public recruiting best I can tell..the guys just seemed to show up at those schools with no advance warning...or there was any talk it was very low key.

JMO but I don't think everyone is sitting around waiting on the phone to ring.....from the discussion I heard again today, several schools...bama and michigan were mentioned... have an active program to identify and lure "ready to play" guys from other schools.

Word has it that bama uses their many "analysts" among other things to sniff around ...examining rosters, checking chat sites, etc. looking for dis-satisfied players on teams with problems. They find out who has their degree already, might be up to SEC standards and might like to finish their careers with a winning program.

Then I guess they use those "back channels" but it's not random....they know who they are after. Oregon State has been a good place to stay in touch with for example ...Mulvaney to bama last year and a LB to Ole Miss this past week. There was not public recruiting best I can tell..the guys just seemed to show up at those schools with no advance warning...or there was any talk it was very low key.

I didn't mean to insinuate that it wasn't planned or targeted, just that, when a school wants someone, they can ask his high school coach if he is looking to make a change and to get him a message that they are interested.

I didn't mean to insinuate that it wasn't planned or targeted, just that, when a school wants someone, they can ask his high school coach if he is looking to make a change and to get him a message that they are interested.

I understand...but the point of the radio discussion was that some schools are very actively seeking out guys and identifying candidates....and I'm just wondering how aggressive AU is .....do we just mostly wait until the phone rings? We've picked up a couple Big!0 guys in the past 2 years so somebody is doing something....just wondering about the seriousness of the effort.

Countess was good in a rough season for us, but I am really excited about TJ Neal. We had a huge need at LB and this guy comes in pre-coached and full of experience and by all accounts, and statistically, he is a VERY good addition to our team. Once you factor in that we had a hole at the LB spot it becomes even bigger of an addition for us.

I too have wondered about the process these guys go through in transferring for their last year of eligibility. In basketball, I'm sure Tobias Harris was a good source of contact for Bruce Pearl in getting Tyler Harris to AU.

I understand...but the point of the radio discussion was that some schools are very actively seeking out guys and identifying candidates....and I'm just wondering how aggressive AU is .....do we just mostly wait until the phone rings? We've picked up a couple Big!0 guys in the past 2 years so somebody is doing something....just wondering about the seriousness of the effort.

Seems like we have a few channels to several different schools, since we seem to pull form them repeatedly. Also, the fact that more often than not, when a graduate transfer pops up, our name is attached, at least early on, tells me we are pretty active in this world.

Funny how Tre' did not seem to keen on the addition of TJ. Or maybe it was just the way I took it.

Stupid question @ the 5:26 mark for those who don't want to watch the whole video to see what Keel is asking about.

I think he just did not like the question. It would have annoyed me too. It was insulting of their other LBs the way it was phrased. I would have had the same response in having faith in the teammates that had already been at AU. His response was not a shot at TJ

Is Tre projected to be ILB or OLB? If ILB I can see how he'd be miffed because that is where Neal will play

Is Tre projected to be ILB or OLB? If ILB I can see how he'd be miffed because that is where Neal will play

ILB . We will play 2 ILBs on each play nearly 100% of the time. Tre should not be miffed on TJ for that. They will both play & neither 1 will take the other's spot. OLBs will play only about 20-30% of the time this season.

Funny how Tre' did not seem to keen on the addition of TJ. Or maybe it was just the way I took it.

Stupid question @ the 5:26 mark for those who don't want to watch the whole video to see what Keel is asking about.

I think he just did not like the question. It would have annoyed me too. It was insulting of their other LBs the way it was phrased. I would have had the same response in having faith in the teammates that had already been at AU. His response was not a shot at TJ

Yeah, Tre' doesn't seem like the type that would take a shot at a player.

ILB . We will play 2 ILBs on each play nearly 100% of the time. Tre should not be miffed on TJ for that. They will both play & neither 1 will take the other's spot. OLBs will play only about 20-30% of the time this season.

So 4-2-5 then? Commence meltdown lol.

Don't know why. Nearly every team runs a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 w/ today's offenses.

Thanks for clarifying

You must have missed this boards opinion of the 4-2-5 over the past 6 years...

Oh...and it was sarcasm ;)

You must have missed this boards opinion of the 4-2-5 over the past 6 years...

Oh...and it was sarcasm ;)

I don't read sarcasm well. lol

Archived