Jax State QB

tmjiv

^So people are thinking he'd survive a really bad year, assuming the reports of gloom on here the last week are true? I had heard his job was on the line. Just curious.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^So people are thinking he'd survive a really bad year, assuming the reports of gloom on here the last week are true? I had heard his job was on the line. Just curious.

A lot that gloom is from you.

Just as anything else in life things are not often as good or as bad as they seem. If the staff commits to the right thing & the D plays well there is a way to survive this season for the staff.

If Gus does bring in Jenkins I do believe Gus's days as AU's coach are numbered BTW. Just passing on what I heard. I'd live or die with White and Woody if I were in charge. AU will get nuked on the recruiting trail bringing in Jenkins. Hell AU is being hammered right now and the recruits are listening.

I'm so upset by this. I thought Gus was an offensive genius.....

If Gus does bring in Jenkins I do believe Gus's days as AU's coach are numbered BTW. Just passing on what I heard. I'd live or die with White and Woody if I were in charge. AU will get nuked on the recruiting trail bringing in Jenkins. Hell AU is being hammered right now and the recruits are listening.

I'm so upset by this. I thought Gus was an offensive genius.....

Totally agree except with the Woody B. part. Just can't see him being ready but hell who knows. He has been working his ass off since football season has been over.

With the way Gus and Rhett are developing quarterbacks......hell, we'll be fine!

No shocker, the GM/RL has never developed a QB, they just lucked out with special talents. OCGM could adapt offenses, but HCGM has given that to an unqualified individual that he has known since he was a child.

Our weakest link is QB coaching, there is nobody qualified with developing them, it can upset a WR coach, just saying

A lot that gloom is from you.

Just as anything else in life things are not often as good or as bad as they seem. If the staff commits to the right thing & the D plays well there is a way to survive this season for the staff.

Let's hope. Might need a mid-2000s level defense, but this one seems better set up to be at that level than any one since Tubs left.

No shocker, the GM/RL has never developed a QB, they just lucked out with special talents. OCGM could adapt offenses, but HCGM has given that to an unqualified individual that he has known since he was a child.

Our weakest link is QB coaching, there is nobody qualified with developing them, it can upset a WR coach, just saying

The only one he's had a chance to fully develop is JJ, and he was physically ready. Our QB coaching, at this point, is no worse than anybody else's. Marshall improved and Newton improved, Todd improved as well.

PS: Our WR receiver coach should have been upset. Did you not see all the well-thrown passes that were DROPPED? They catch some passes and we win two or three more games.

Well fortunately, with how salty Auburn's defense is projected to be, the offense will not have to carry the burden of winning games for us. In two thirds of the triad-offense, defense and special teams-Auburn will better than most of the opponents in defense and special teams. A completed pass or two to keep the defense honest and let Robinson do the rest on offense.

I'd be real cautious with the high expectations of the D. I do think the D can be good but I'm going to wait till Clemson and see what happens.

^^^ this. We haven't seen a physicall defense since Tubbs. I am with holding judgement.

2016 has to be Gus's year.

At this point, personally, I take everything WDE says with large grains of kosher salt. Who knows? He may end up being correct, but it's been obvious for some time now that somebody pissed in his Cheerios.

I don't get the whole "we're so desperate" thing. We're surveying our options. We haven't offered Davis Webb. From everything I've seen or read, we haven't offered Eli Jenkins. When or if we do, that will be the first concrete step taken to land either guy. Hard to tell anyone we're in full-court press mode without an offer. If we were so serious about them, make a public offer. We haven't, which tells me we're still in evaluation mode.

I saw plenty to like and plenty to dislike at A-day. I'll wait to see if we improve on both those areas before the Clemson game. Anyone pretending like they know what this season holds is a flat-out liar, especially when it comes to Auburn. We're the hardest team to rely on and tge hardest team to count out. It's not my money (I donate to the university, not the AD) and it's not my identity (I have faith, family, and work well ahead of AU football for that). I'll just wait and see what our guys can do.

I don't get the whole "we're so desperate" thing. We're surveying our options. We haven't offered Davis Webb. From everything I've seen or read, we haven't offered Eli Jenkins. When or if we do, that will be the first concrete step taken to land either guy. Hard to tell anyone we're in full-court press mode without an offer. If we were so serious about them, make a public offer. We haven't, which tells me we're still in evaluation mode.

You are smarter than this. You know very well concrete steps on these types of things are never taken in public channels. They are done privately. Webb says he is visiting soon. That's because the staff picked back up the pace on him the past few days.

This Webb deal is not some indictment on the staff. Let's face it...JJ had a mental breakdown. Not due to coaching. SW is a solid QB, but may not be quite ready to win it all. TQ is injured again. JF3 needs more work to become the guy. SW, JF3 and TQ are all not seniors. Bringing in a 1 and done would only give those guys another year to develop into better QBs. It would also give those guys an experienced QB to learn under rather than a head case. It's a win win situation, not a win now lose everything in the future scenario everyone is making it out to be.

This Webb deal is not some indictment on the staff. Let's face it...JJ had a mental breakdown. Not due to coaching. SW is a solid QB, but may not be quite ready to win it all. TQ is injured again. JF3 needs more work to become the guy. SW, JF3 and TQ are all not seniors. Bringing in a 1 and done would only give those guys another year to develop into better QBs. It would also give those guys an experienced QB to learn under rather than a head case. It's a win win situation, not a win now lose everything in the future scenario everyone is making it out to be.

There is room for disagreement in terms of whether or not our current QB situation is a reflection of the coaching they have and are receiving. However; I am all for pursuing Webb and I don't think that would be an indictment of the staff other than why did we wait until after spring. Pursuing the Jax State QB is a different story, IMO.

wde

Indeed. There were people that wanted JJ to start 2014 instead of Marshall. JJ's play when he wasn't the starter gave everyone hope for 2015, when he would be. Some people can have the best coaching, all of the physical tools, and still not be able to handle the combination of the speed of the game and the pressure of being THE man. I thought White looked quite good for a redshirt freshman when he took over the starting job last year. I'm not sure if White is ready to be THE man heading into his sophomore season, but I agree with WDE about going with him over bringing in a grad transfer.

Franklin is the anomaly, as I'm still not convinced that he was recruited with the specific intention of him coming in and taking the job. I think the intention was for the job to be his if he could win it. If not, there's certainly a use for his speed.

With TQ injured, I can certainly see a use for Webb to provide some experienced depth. That said, it is concerning if a guy comes from Texas Tech (after spring ball), and takes the starting job over a pair of 4* QB's that have been in this offense for two or more years. It should take a Cam Newton to do that, which Webb clearly is not.

E, it depends on what you think of as concrete steps. We're taking steps to get Webb on campus, but we still haven't offered. It's the same for high school kids that aren't at the top of our board. We woo them. We want them to visit. But until that offer is extended, it's just words.

At this point, personally, I take everything WDE says with large grains of kosher salt. Who knows? He may end up being correct, but it's been obvious for some time now that somebody pissed in his Cheerios.

I saw plenty to like and plenty to dislike at A-day. I'll wait to see if we improve on both those areas before the Clemson game. Anyone pretending like they know what this season holds is a flat-out liar, especially when it comes to Auburn. We're the hardest team to rely on and tge hardest team to count out. It's not my money (I donate to the university, not the AD) and it's not my identity (I have faith, family, and work well ahead of AU football for that). I'll just wait and see what our guys can do.

Winning ONE SEC game last year has me a bit upset. And giving JJ the most reps with the 1's this spring. Otherwise I'm just Gucci.

Auburn won TWO SEC games last year.........UK & aTm

Not in the realm of good and considering our SEC record the last TWO years is 6-10 has me concerned.

Auburn basically kicked LSU's ass on 10/4/14 and has struggled since.

Nailed it... If Webb is even 80% of what he was as a Freshman at Tech, he could give us an extra edge this year and help bring along Sean and Tyler and help John with his passing. He would also guarantee us a reliable 1 & 2 option at QB, which I don't know that we currently have.

With TQ injured, I can certainly see a use for Webb to provide some experienced depth. That said, it is concerning if a guy comes from Texas Tech (after spring ball), and takes the starting job over a pair of 4* QB's that have been in this offense for two or more years. It should take a Cam Newton to do that, which Webb clearly is not.

While I agree he's not Cam, the kid did break the freshman passing record at a school that runs the air raid. Assuming he didn't lose anything from his surgery, he's shown more overall talent that any of our QBs and has the potential to be drafted, if given the right stage for his senior year. Jeremy has to both get his head right and show more big play ability to get on the draft radar. Sean has overall growing of his game to do before he can get on that radar. John won't sniff that radar as a QB.

Just a reminder to those in severe panic. Despite the struggles and ineptness we felt last season, 4 of our losses were by 8 points or less. You would think we were blown out in every game based on the Gloom. Yeah, we aren't in an ideal place especially given the QB deal. I was excited to see that in A-day, Roc was getting reps in the slot. This will be good for our jet sweep motion as it won't be a tip off as to what's coming. He is a legit Homeric threat both receiving and rushing. Jovon will take up where we left off at the RB position. I would be overly thrilled if we get Cox/Pettway some carries out of the H-back position.

E, it depends on what you think of as concrete steps. We're taking steps to get Webb on campus, but we still haven't offered. It's the same for high school kids that aren't at the top of our board. We woo them. We want them to visit. But until that offer is extended, it's just words.

I would think given Webb's situation and that he has already proven himself to perform at a high level at the college level, this is a different situation than a high school kid scheduling a visit.

Just a reminder to those in severe panic. Despite the struggles and ineptness we felt last season, 4 of our losses were by 8 points or less. You would think we were blown out in every game based on the Gloom. Yeah, we aren't in an ideal place especially given the QB deal. I was excited to see that in A-day, Roc was getting reps in the slot. This will be good for our jet sweep motion as it won't be a tip off as to what's coming. He is a legit Homeric threat both receiving and rushing. Jovon will take up where we left off at the RB position. I would be overly thrilled if we get Cox/Pettway some carries out of the H-back position.

I get what you're saying but the other side of that coin is we also had 3 wins by 7 points or less, one of them over Jacksonville State in overtime in a game we should have lost.

I get what you're saying but the other side of that coin is we also had 3 wins by 7 points or less, one of them over Jacksonville State in overtime in a game we should have lost.

To that point, both 2010 and 2013 had 6 and 5 (respectively) wins by 7 points or less. Who knows how our season outlook would've changed? The point is that what really hampered our offense was the lack of explosive plays. We tried and tried to produce them but eventually had to dial back our attempts because it would put us in a 2nd/3rd and long more than a positive result. Hopefully we can get the big plays flowing again. Roc can be a big part of this!

While I agree he's not Cam, the kid did break the freshman passing record at a school that runs the air raid. Assuming he didn't lose anything from his surgery, he's shown more overall talent that any of our QBs and has the potential to be drafted, if given the right stage for his senior year. Jeremy has to both get his head right and show more big play ability to get on the draft radar. Sean has overall growing of his game to do before he can get on that radar. John won't sniff that radar as a QB.

He broke the freshman passing record, and then he got benched, hence his desire to transfer. Bringing in a grad transfer (after spring) to take over the starting job sends a message that I don't like: That Gus, Lashlee, or both do not have confidence in the two 4* QB's that have been in their system and under their tutelage for two or more years. That cannot be good for the current QB's confidence, and it certainly validates the arguments that a QB coach is needed. I can understand any lack of confidence in JJ that they may have, as I lack it myself. I suspect he got so much work with the 1's in spring as his last chance before becoming permanent backup. I cannot understand any lack of confidence in White. Of course, they see far more than I do, but I see no reason to believe that White would not thrive with any improvement in WR consistency. JJ might too, but I think that ship has sailed.

Unless JJ is the starter and puts together the Heisman campaign he was expected to last year, I cannot envision an NFL franchise drafting him. White is a sophomore; I expect him to both need improvement and improve. You are correct though, Franklin is completely off the radar for the NFL as a QB. The guy that was the prototype for the kind of QB Franklin needs to be, is a DB in the NFL.

He broke the freshman passing record, and then he got benched, hence his desire to transfer.

He didn't get benched, he got hurt. He then lost the starting job because the kid who took over for him while he was recovering was good enough to be the #12 QB in the nation last year. He's transferring because he's in the unfortunate situation of being good enough to start for 90% of the teams out there, but there's someone just a little better who's also on his team.

Bringing in a grad transfer (after spring) to take over the starting job sends a message that I don't like: That Gus, Lashlee, or both do not have confidence in the two 4* QB's that have been in their system and under their tutelage for two or more years. That cannot be good for the current QB's confidence, and it certainly validates the arguments that a QB coach is needed. I can understand any lack of confidence in JJ that they may have, as I lack it myself. I suspect he got so much work with the 1's in spring as his last chance before becoming permanent backup. I cannot understand any lack of confidence in White. Of course, they see far more than I do, but I see no reason to believe that White would not thrive with any improvement in WR consistency. JJ might too, but I think that ship has sailed.

I don't disagree on your points about the disappointment there might be for the rest of the QBs or that White might actually shine with a good receiver corps. However, I disagree that the Webb situation is an indicator that Gus doesn't like what he has. What I see with Webb is a situation where you have a very highly ranked QB looking for a new place to play and it not being in the best interest of the team to say "no". Turning down Webb could be the equivalent of turning down Russel Wilson. He's probably not THAT good, but he's could be the best QB in the SEC if he comes here. Sean, if only for lack of game time experience, will be middle of the pack, if he starts, and hopefully work his way up during the year.

The only person it would really hurt is Jeremy, and barring a miracle, that ship has sailed anyway. Sean still has 2 years after 2016, so he could use Webb coming in as an opportunity to get better and really shine in 2017, assuming he doesn't get beat out by Woody.

Unless JJ is the starter and puts together the Heisman campaign he was expected to last year, I cannot envision an NFL franchise drafting him. White is a sophomore; I expect him to both need improvement and improve. You are correct though, Franklin is completely off the radar for the NFL as a QB. The guy that was the prototype for the kind of QB Franklin needs to be, is a DB in the NFL.

Agree on all points.

Archived